What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Duff, why does Auburn want to get rid of Malzahn and why is Malzahn considering going from Auburn to Arkansas? Shouldn't this season with the wins against UGA and in the Iron Bowl win him some credit?

Duff, why does Auburn want to get rid of Malzahn and why is Malzahn considering going from Auburn to Arkansas? Shouldn't this season with the wins against UGA and in the Iron Bowl win him some credit?

He is completely safe now. The move made a lot more sense when his future was in doubt. He can basically name his price to Auburn now. Auburn is a much better job too.

Why would Arkansas dictate that timeline?
I think they have to try. They can't be sitting there being used as negotiating leverage for someone who isn't coming and need to move on with their search & closing recruits for the December signing day if it's not gonna be Gus.

If it was only JUCOs and EEs signing in December and everyone else still signed in February, I think Arkansas could afford to be a lot more patient and the ultimatum wouldn't have happened.

He is completely safe now. The move made a lot more sense when his future was in doubt. He can basically name his price to Auburn now. Auburn is a much better job too.

So Malzahn basically flipped the script on Auburn?

I think they have to try. They can't be sitting there being used as negotiating leverage for someone who isn't coming and need to move on with their search & closing recruits for the December signing day if it's not gonna be Gus.

If it was only JUCOs and EEs signing in December and everyone else still signed in February, I think Arkansas could afford to be a lot more patient and the ultimatum wouldn't have happened.

An ultimatum is fine, but the timeline just seems strange. Does it really make THAT much of a difference if he decides next Tuesday (72 hours) instead of five hours after the game?

Why do you say auburn is a much better job? I definitely think it is better but Arkansas has a lot of positives too.

Why do you say auburn is a much better job? I definitely think it is better but Arkansas has a lot of positives too.
Auburn has an argument that it's a Top 10 job. Arkansas has an argument that it's a Top 25 job. Both are great jobs in the profession, but Auburn is a bit better across the board on all the stuff a coach is going to evaluate (recruiting grounds, resources, etc.).

Auburn has an argument that it's a Top 10 job. Arkansas has an argument that it's a Top 25 job. Both are great jobs in the profession, but Auburn is a bit better across the board on all the stuff a coach is going to evaluate (recruiting grounds, resources, etc.).
Yeah I get the recruiting part, just doesn’t seem like there is any school out there that will “out resource” Arkansas.

Auburn has a much better recruiting advantage.
Hmmmm. Does it?

From a totally outsiders perspective, it would seem that Auburn has to compete for recruits directly with Alabama. While Saban is there, that’s a tough sell. At Arky, you have Texas right next door.

Seems like a wash to me.

Not sold that Auburn is an appreciably better job than Arky. Arky has an AD budget comparable to Auburn and historically has raided TX for the cream of the crop. Auburn will always be second fiddle to Bama. Arky has as much potential IMO.

Hmmmm. Does it?

From a totally outsiders perspective, it would seem that Auburn has to compete for recruits directly with Alabama. While Saban is there, that’s a tough sell. At Arky, you have Texas right next door.

Seems like a wash to me.
There are a lot more athletes in AL than AR. (Eight 4*s in AL per Rivals this year and Auburn already has commits from 3 of them with a bunch uncommitted, including a 5*. In AR, there are two 4*s and Arkansas has 1 of them.) And being next door to FL & GA is better than being next door to TX & OK.

Hmmmm. Does it?

Seems like a wash to me.

Auburn still is able to get some top in-state players (3 of top 7 this year) and recruits Georgia as well as anyone (several 4* players a year). Then add in Florida and it dwarfs Arkansas trying to recruit Texas.

Thanks for the input.

My pleasure. But when you look at the last 20 years or so and what both programs achieved I think it's a bit odd to ask why Auburn would be considered a better job. Auburn has one national title, one championship game appearance and 3 SEC titles. Auburn have proven that you can win there and that you can win really big there.

Auburn have always seemed like the redheaded, hyperactive stepchild to me that has a huge inferiority complex with Alabama while being wildly inconsistent and they also seem to have a penchant for failure when expectations are high, but then every big program in the SEC (West and Knoxville) has that problem in Tuscaloosa.

Auburn is a better job and don't think it is really that close. Arkansas isn't a bad job, but is not in the same boat as Auburn.

My pleasure. But when you look at the last 20 years or so and what both programs achieved I think it's a bit odd to ask why Auburn would be considered a better job. Auburn has one national title, one championship game appearance and 3 SEC titles. Auburn have proven that you can win there and that you can win really big there.

Auburn have always seemed like the redheaded, hyperactive stepchild to me that has a huge inferiority complex with Alabama while being wildly inconsistent and they also seem to have a penchant for failure when expectations are high, but then every big program in the SEC (West and Knoxville) has that problem in Tuscaloosa.
Trust me I get it lol I never said it was a better job I was just arguing a little bit with the “much” part that’s all. I was just looking at what the two offer, not what they have done in the last 20 years, I visited Fayetteville recently and I was blown away by the facilities and the town itself. I also think that their recruiting of Arkansas, Louisiana, texas along with being able to hit KC and St. Louis is nothing to look down at.

Don't really buy that Arkansas is on par with Auburn in any way.

Sure it's next to Texas but they have to compete with Texas, Aggie, TCU, Houston. Then they also have to compete with OU and LSU.

Trust me I get it lol I never said it was a better job I was just arguing a little bit with the “much” part that’s all. I was just looking at what the two offer, not what they have done in the last 20 years, I visited Fayetteville recently and I was blown away by the facilities and the town itself. I also think that their recruiting of Arkansas, Louisiana, texas along with being able to hit KC and St. Louis is nothing to look down at.

I do not think Arkansas is a bad job or even a mediocre job by any stretch. The right coach can be a consistent 8-9 game winner there.

Last edited:

If you want to simplify it, I think I'd say that Arkansas has the potential to win big whereas Auburn has proven it can do so, albeit inconsistently.

If you want to simplify it, I think I'd say that Arkansas has the potential to win big whereas Auburn has proven it can do so, albeit inconsistently.
Yeah that’s the best way to put it. Basically I think it is a program that is poised to do well but I think people have been saying that about Arkansas for a while. Also seems like a little less pressure than auburn which is always a plus.

Don't really buy that Arkansas is on par with Auburn in any way.

Sure it's next to Texas but they have to compete with Texas, Aggie, TCU, Houston. Then they also have to compete with OU and LSU.

And Auburn has to compete with Florida, FSU, Alabama, LSU and UGA in just about every state they recruit in.

Yes, but Arkansas does not have near the pedigree that Auburn has.
Here would be my question, if Arkansas and auburn both had good coaches at the same time do you think auburn would beat Arkansas enough for them to fire their coach (like saban has done to most of the sec west) or do you think it would be a pretty even series?

I haven’t seen a ton of football facilities but Arkansas ranks up there with Oklahoma which people say is easily top 5.

Back