What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

I do not think Arkansas is a bad job or even a mediocre job by any stretch. The right coach can be a consistent 8-9 game winner there.
While I concede that Auburn is a better job, I'd suggest that the right coach could win championships at Arky. If OU can win, so could Arky, it would just be tougher. Hell, Saban could win at Jacksonville State.

Auburn still is able to get some top in-state players (3 of top 7 this year) and recruits Georgia as well as anyone (several 4* players a year). Then add in Florida and it dwarfs Arkansas trying to recruit Texas.
Fair enough. I’m not close enough to the situation to know the difference. To me, the SEC is Alabama, Florida, LSU and a bunch of other teams.

I wonder if Frost would consider Oregon. They gave him a boost on his coaching career - he was there 6 seasons. He was only at Nebraska for 2 seasons but he was born there.

Onealcd was in my DMs, listing jobs that are undeniably better than Nebraska and he included Arkansas. I lmao’d, mostly because I know Nebraska fans wouldn’t like that, but then he convinced me. **** Nebraska and **** Baylor.

There are Sun Belt jobs that are better than Nebraska.

I don't think that Frost understands with a cluster Nebraska has become. And his name will have no cachet with the kids that the program will be trying to sign.

Frost: "Hey, I went undefeated in Orlando, FL"
Recruit: "Hey, my parents took me to Disney World when I was six. Is there a college there?"

Are there examples of coaches "returning home" that have worked out overwhelmingly well for wherever that home is? Either returning home as a coach who once coached there, or a player that played there or even as a resident who once took a **** there?

Somehow, Nebraska has not really had an issue attracting highly regarded players, even in their down years, so I don't worry about Frost's ability to get talent. Think he will be a very good hire for them, which is why I have been hopeful that he would go elsewhere.

Are there examples of coaches "returning home" that have worked out overwhelmingly well for wherever that home is? Either returning home as a coach who once coached there, or a player that played there or even as a resident who once took a **** there?

Urban Meyer and David Shaw for starters.

Frost would be so much smarter to let the current hiring frenzy subside, build a legacy at CFU for 5 years or so, then slide into a good ACC or SEC job. He must be living in the past when Neb was a good destination for players and coaches.

Here would be my question, if Arkansas and auburn both had good coaches at the same time do you think auburn would beat Arkansas enough for them to fire their coach (like saban has done to most of the sec west) or do you think it would be a pretty even series?

I haven’t seen a ton of football facilities but Arkansas ranks up there with Oklahoma which people say is easily top 5.
Sure, the all time series is pretty close. Now had Petrino kept his dick in his pants they would be a top 15 team most seasons.

Jim Harbaugh, Paul Chryst, Mark Richt, Kirby Smart, Pat Fitzgerald, Mike Gundy are all alums of their current employers.

Doesn't factor into Neb. Wisconsin, at the very least, will be kicking the Huskers' asses for decades. The NE program is in a deep hole that Mr. Frost's nostalgia is not going to be able to fix.

Frost turning CFU around was an easier job than Sparkles turning CSU around.
HE still took them from 1-11 to 11-0 in two seasons, and more impressive he took them from 14 points per game to 46 points per game. That is ****ing crazy.

HE still took them from 1-11 to 11-0 in two seasons, and more impressive he took them from 14 points per game to 46 points per game. That is ****ing crazy.
That 1-11 team was a deceptive record. That wasn't talent. Wheels came off after a QB drafted. There was a ton of talent at UCF based on its 12-win 2013 season and the excellent seasons that bracketed it.

Not posting to take anything away from Frost. He has done an allsome job there. But he didn't inherit a dumpster fire that had a talent gap in the AAC. Some folks might get that impression from the 1-11 season in 2015.

Beamer at VT

Other than Steve Spurrier, are there examples of coaches "returning home" that have worked out overwhelmingly well for wherever that home is? Either returning home as a coach who once coached there, or a player that played there or even as a resident who once took a **** there?
fify
(examples answered by others in replies)

Thanks. I honestly couldn't think of that many.
Yeah. I guess the take away is that if being "home" can lure a great coach to you, it's a pretty damn good approach. What seems to fail is when you hire a coach due to those ties who you otherwise wouldn't have hired.

So hard to keep track, but didn't Feldman write the book with Leach? If so, not sure if it means this is a propaganda piece with maybe Leach as the source or if Feldman has something real on this one.

The Fusker fans are sure of themselves. They have stupid signs up like “Frost Warning” and other crap like that. He is quite literally the prodigal son. I bet that there will be an uptick in girls named Scott.

Frost reportedly reached out to Keshawn Johnson in order to keep his kid from bolting. That is at least what a Fusker fan told me today.
fixed

Back