What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Herm Edwards reminds me of the Dad from Friday.

giphy.gif

Oregon St. had Riley for two non-consecutive stints. Sounds like our peer, actually.
Yeah but they had him for IIRC 2-3 years? We've had Mac for now 5 full years. Riley left for the NFL, not for some lower level G5 job to see if he would be able to "sustain" which is Buffsrock's initial point. I think if Oregon State is the best example of that, I'd say it's not a great one and something we shouldn't look to follow.

Yeah but they had him for IIRC 2-3 years? We've had Mac for now 5 full years. Riley left for the NFL, not for some lower level G5 job to see if he would be able to "sustain" which is Buffsrock's initial point. I think if Oregon State is the best example of that, I'd say it's not a great one and something we shouldn't look to follow.
Exactly. Let's make it apples to apples.

Hypothetically, let's say that the Buffs win 8+ games in 2018 and MacIntyre parlays that into getting hired as the HC for the Jets or something. After he has a short run in the League, the CU job opens up again and he wants it. I'd think he would have a good shot at getting the job. That's one hell of a low plausibility hypothetical, though.

Herm will bring CEO approach. His staff will be key.

He’ll work board rooms and living rooms. Little direct coaching.

We’ll see if it works.

Herm will bring CEO approach. His staff will be key.

He’ll work board rooms and living rooms. Little direct coaching.

We’ll see if it works.

This. People know him, kids know him. People say, “oh he sucked in the pros.” Well so did Nick Saban and Chip Kelly, but I don’t see anybody laughing at UCLA. It may work, it may not but it’s a lot easier to win in college when you can cherry pick your players, unlike the NFL. He’s going to recruit very very well, he’s the kind of guy when he talks you stop and listen to what he has to say, he commands a room. Everyone here says, “oh MM isn’t very good at speeches,” “MM isn’t charismatic or good at recruiting.”

Everything you hate about our coach you’re saying doesn’t matter with ASU’s. He will have assistants to coach, he just has to lead. I can see a quality staff looking forward to getting on his team and working with him. I’ll be the first to admit I’m wrong if I am and I very well may be. But he’s going to field a lot of talent, I’m sure of that.

Taggart meeting with FSU officials today and if he is offered the job he is expected to take it. How Florida didn't reach out to him is perplexing.

This. People know him, kids know him. People say, “oh he sucked in the pros.” Well so did Nick Saban and Chip Kelly, but I don’t see anybody laughing at UCLA. It may work, it may not but it’s a lot easier to win in college when you can cherry pick your players, unlike the NFL. He’s going to recruit very very well, he’s the kind of guy when he talks you stop and listen to what he has to say, he commands a room. Everyone here says, “oh MM isn’t very good at speeches,” “MM isn’t charismatic or good at recruiting.”

Everything you hate about our coach you’re saying doesn’t matter with ASU’s. He will have assistants to coach, he just has to lead. I can see a quality staff looking forward to getting on his team and working with him. I’ll be the first to admit I’m wrong if I am and I very well may be. But he’s going to field a lot of talent, I’m sure of that.

Kelly and Saban made their names at the college level. If Edwards had actually coached at the college level for long stretches like Kelly and Saban, people would understand.

This is a classic case of paying for the name and expecting it to all work out. He is inheriting an entire staff and that is just going to run smoothly because people know his name? Comparing recruiting to NFL scouting is also misguided because the two processes are dramatically different.

I think FSU won out on that transaction is what I am saying. It is going to be tough for Florida to recruit against him at FSU and against Miami when they are rolling.

Why? Dan Mullen is going to be great at Florida. And it isn't going to be tough to recruit to Gainesville at all - never has been. There are some stark differences between Gainesville & Tallahassee.

Why? Dan Mullen is going to be great at Florida. And it isn't going to be tough to recruit to Gainesville at all - never has been. There are some stark differences between Gainesville & Tallahassee.
It isn't hard to recruit to Florida compared to the rest of the country but when you look at their main competitors they have a lot of work to do. Georgia, LSU and FSU are always going to recruit well too and I would expect FSU to consistently beat them in the rankings with Taggart as head coach. Mullen is a good coach but he has to prove he can compete for SEC/National championships before I fully trust him. There is a big difference between over performing at Mississippi state and competing at a national level at Florida.

It isn't hard to recruit to Florida compared to the rest of the country but when you look at their main competitors they have a lot of work to do. Georgia, LSU and FSU are always going to recruit well too and I would expect FSU to consistently beat them in the rankings with Taggart as head coach. Mullen is a good coach but he has to prove he can compete for SEC/National championships before I fully trust him. There is a big difference between over performing at Mississippi state and competing at a national level at Florida.

I think he will be fine.
maxresdefault.jpg

My point was that it isn't without precedent, and the only team that has done it is a P12 bottom feeder. Hence, the peer statement.

Not to put to fine a point on it, but OSU has won more P12 games (18) than CU (15) since P12 began. Let that sink in.

Kelly and Saban made their names at the college level. If Edwards had actually coached at the college level for long stretches like Kelly and Saban, people would understand.

This is a classic case of paying for the name and expecting it to all work out. He is inheriting an entire staff and that is just going to run smoothly because people know his name? Comparing recruiting to NFL scouting is also misguided because the two processes are dramatically different.
Yep. This is not Saban, Holtz, Spurrier, Riley and Kelly failing at the NFL level and returning to college. That's a ridiculous comparison.

This isn't Pete Carroll having a 27-21 record after 3 seasons in NE, getting fired in a questionable move, and taking a year off before taking the USC job at 50 years old. He had been out of college coaching for almost 20 years, but at least he'd had jobs at Iowa State, Ohio State and then NC State (where he was DC for 3 seasons).

This isn't Lane Kiffin when Tennessee hired him. He was a 34 year old coach who had just failed in his 2 years as an NFL HC with the Raiders but had been OC at the most dominant program in the nation at USC immediately before that.

This isn't even Jim Mora Jr, who had a mixed run in Atlanta and then failed his 1 year in Seattle before taking 2 years off. At 51 years old, he was still in his prime and not far removed from the sideline even if he was 28 years since his last college job (as a GA at Washington).

The closest I can think of to Herm Edwards that worked was Dick Vermeil. Vermeil had been a very successful HC in the NFL, burnt out, spent 15 years in the broadcast booth, and then had a great run when he returned to the NFL sideline at 64 years old.

Edwards will be 64 years old for the 2018 season and will have been out of coaching for 10 years to do the studio analyst thing. He had modest success as an NFL HC, getting 4/8 teams to the playoffs but with a career record of 54-74 and no better than 10-6 (accomplished twice). I could somewhat understand it if an NFL organization with a young roster hired him to create a culture for it. But college? He hasn't been a college coach since 1989, when he was a DB Coach for a lower G5 program at San Jose State. He played at San Diego State in the 1970s. Not only is he old, not only has he been away from coaching for a decade, not only was he mediocre when he was coaching, not only is he 29 years removed from the college game, but he has never had any affiliation with a P5 college program. This hire is so far off the reservation that I can't believe he was given a serious interview, let alone given the job without there appearing to even be a legitimate coaching search at Arizona State for a job that would have attracted serious interest.

Last edited:
My hate for ASU is mostly reserved for basketball. But I do think the football program has been very willing to get dirty (i.e., hiring Erickson & the Graham spying/ sign stealing tied to his best seasons).

I think FSU won out on that transaction is what I am saying. It is going to be tough for Florida to recruit against him at FSU and against Miami when they are rolling.

Dan Mullen is a better hire than Willie Taggart-he recruited well enough to Mississippi State to have them at number one in the CFP rankings a few years back. He's going to win BIG at Florida.

Football Scoop updates so far today (at least 7/10 Nub assistants coming from UCF staff & all will be under at least 2-year contracts):

Nebraska: Scott Frost has announced the additions of the following assistant coaches to his staff (each coming from UCF); Greg Austin (OL), Erik Chinander (DC), Mike Dawson (DL), Jovan Dewitt (OLBs / STC), Travis Fisher (DBs), Ryan Held (RBs), and Mario Verduzco (QBs).

Tennessee: With the search now being led by Phil Fulmer, Bruce Feldmantweets that Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables and SMU head coach Chad Morris are two names to keep in mind.

Not much else of major note other than the breaking Taggart-FSU story, which I'm sure will be dominating the discussion.

My point was that it isn't without precedent, and the only team that has done it is a P12 bottom feeder. Hence, the peer statement.

Not to put to fine a point on it, but OSU has won more P12 games (18) than CU (15) since P12 began. Let that sink in.
Yes, but they also weren't the dumpster fire that CU was when it joined the PAC. They were going to bowls pretty consistently up until 2013.

Dan Mullen is a better hire than Willie Taggart-he recruited well enough to Mississippi State to have them at number one in the CFP rankings a few years back. He's going to win BIG at Florida.
Texas A&M was ranked in the top 3 in the playoff rankings recently, what does that matter. I am not saying he isn't a good coach just saying there are question marks about where he can take the program. Florida will no doubt improve but how far up will they go?

Back