What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure theres an element of that fanbase who wants championships, but they could go out and get some D2 Danny type of clown if the Mullet ever moved on from there and wind up right back where they were under Bob Simmons. This is Gundy's 15th year in Stillwater-they've been to bowls 13 years in a row under his watch. I would take that type of success tomorrow if he ever left there.

I would take two, 6 win seasons in a row. I’m that desperate.

If there are Okie Lite folks who are negative on Gundy and his job performance, that's the very definition of a coach being the victim of his own success.

What's interesting is the expectations weren't that high going into the season. Oline questions, breaking in a new qb, and the lack of confidence in the DC all were common themes. But the rumble is getting a little louder each week.

Agreed, but at some point, a fan base wants to see a team get over the hump and 9-10 win seasons aren't special anymore. I'm not saying it's right or that he should be fired, but I understand the desire for a coach who can elevate them to the elite tier.

Yes, he's spoiled them a bit. And I'm jealous. I think the fanbase is holding out hope for an 8-9 win season. It won't be easy. Case in point - they're a 10.5 point dog heading to Ames this weeked, and bedlam still looms on the horizon.

Agreed, but at some point, a fan base wants to see a team get over the hump and 9-10 win seasons aren't special anymore. I'm not saying it's right or that he should be fired, but I understand the desire for a coach who can elevate them to the elite tier.
I actually view Okie Lite on somewhat similar grounds to CU with CU having a slightly higher ceiling. I think both CU and Ok. St can both consistently compete in their conference, or division in CU's case) year in and year out with right guy (see Mullet). Only difference is Ok. St is the secondary choice in the state and will never be top dog. CU can be top dog in Colorado and that will allow CU to compete for the Conference Championship once or twice a decade WITH the right coach. I don't think Lite has the capability to do that every decade but I think CU could. As you said I don't think he should be fired either but I don't think either Okie Lite or CU will ever be able to get to the elite tier with the exception of CU getting there once every decade maybe.

I actually view Okie Lite on somewhat similar grounds to CU with CU having a slightly higher ceiling. I think both CU and Ok. St can both consistently compete in their conference, or division in CU's case) year in and year out with right guy (see Mullet). Only difference is Ok. St is the secondary choice in the state and will never be top dog. CU can be top dog in Colorado and that will allow CU to compete for the Conference Championship once or twice a decade WITH the right coach. I don't think Lite has the capability to do that every decade but I think CU could. As you said I don't think he should be fired either but I don't think either Okie Lite or CU will ever be able to get to the elite tier with the exception of CU getting there once every decade maybe.
Decent comparison. There is one glaring difference between okie lite and CU and that’s $. Sugar daddy T Boone may be gone but he left a gilded legacy there. CU has nothing like that. An alternate comparative program for CU is Mizzou in the SEC East. If USC were to ever get a coach, they’d be the GA of the P12 South. The rest of the SEC East is pretty comparable to the rest of the P12 South. A team or two, including the Buffs, might flash some seasons but year in year out, a well coached SC would dictate.

Decent comparison. There is one glaring difference between okie lite and CU and that’s $. Sugar daddy T Boone may be gone but he left a gilded legacy there. CU has nothing like that. An alternate comparative program for CU is Mizzou in the SEC East. If USC were to ever get a coach, they’d be the GA of the P12 South. The rest of the SEC East is pretty comparable to the rest of the P12 South. A team or two, including the Buffs, might flash some seasons but year in year out, a well coached SC would dictate.
Florida might disagree.

Agree with the crux of this post-I expect this program to have the kind of success OSU has had under the Mullet. They go to bowls consistently-13 years in a row and they SHOULD make it 14 (they still have Kansas and WVU to play) and they're occasionally competing for the Big 12 championship.

One more thought with Gundy though-He makes a surprising amount of sense at USC. I don't see the Urban rumors coming true, and he's the type of dude who is enough of a star to me to fit there. Michigan too if theres a change there?

Florida might disagree.

They get the right to disagree if they beat UGA next week.

Zona did manage to allow 40+ quite a few times, they of course shut us down, but still.

The key is to keep underperforming coaches for as long as possible for #continuity
Point taken, but you should be winning most games you get "shut down" for 30 points.

The Waiting for a Shoe to Drop Carousel Update:

dwyermj kicks off the spin of the carousel by spotting the first corpse banging against the hull of Rutgers, the first carousel casualty, Chris Ash.

Not much new here, this is sort of a placeholder update. I'll note new stuff with an UPDATE tag.

Open Jobs:

Rutgers- Chris Ash is out (h/t dwyermj), Nunzio Campanile is interim. No firm news on the new Capo dei capi, or whether Campianile will be consigliere, but rumors abound Greg Schiano left the Pats last March to muscle his way back to New Brunswick (or is it Camden?), honestly, who cares where it is, it is still NJ. Chris Ash reportedly still alive and well. Joe Moorhead, Miss. St. HC getting some mention.

Possibles:

Harbaugh- UM is a mess. After tOSU dismantles them, it will likely be curtains for Jimbo. UPDATE Rumors of an exit strategy by Jimbo, then a strongly worded "I am staying" letter from Jimbo to player's parents. Almost as good as an indicator he is going as the dreaded AD vote of confidence.

Charlie Strong- Severe downward trajectory. Off to a bad start for an embattled HC.

Derek Mason- below .400 at Vandy in year six. UPDATE Rumors swirl, the Vandy AD is unhappy, despite a nice upset of Mizzou. Jeff Fisher, Dave Aranda, Willie Fritz, Ken Numaatoilolonamaalolliteamnaaomommlo, and last but not least, MikMac himself, getting some early mention.

Clay Helton- Sitting at about .640, not a good look for the plastic SoCal fan.

Matt Luke- Ole Miss always presumes their team should be more than it is, but even by reasonable standards, Luke is underachieving.

Mike Bobo- CSU may not be able to afford to let him go yet. When you look at his overall record, it isn't that bad by CSU standards. But the losses to the flagship, AFA, Boise and Wyoming weigh heavily. Wins at UNM and Fresno could save Bobo, yet. 3-5.

Willie Taggert- FSU at .500, and natives are getting restless.

Mike Gundy- Fans getting picky. A .670 HC not good enough anymore.

Chad Morris- Arky making noise about somehow avoiding Bielema's buyout, harbinger of firing Morris with the illusory "found money"?

Other News:

Show me the Money- Cali leads the way to player pay, starting 2023. Hapless NCAA and Conferences clutch pearls.

Sheriron Jones- The well-traveled QB gets caught in a solo routine. CU dodged a bullet. (h/t sewallbeach)

Arizona- Gets defensive about its DC and fires him, and one defensive AC. (h/t Jens).

Wazzu- Tracy Claeys "resigns". (h/t Tractor)

Last edited:
With the nubs loss to Indiana - in Lincoln - the heat is getting turned up on Frost. Really no lay down sure wins left on the schedule.

It brings up a point, though - if Frost can’t win there, who can? If they fire the golden boy, they’ll have slim pickings for his replacement. Ultimately, I think he is safe this year, but winning 3 or 4 games when you were talking about a division title at the beginning of the year is a very bad look.

With the nubs loss to Indiana - in Lincoln - the heat is getting turned up on Frost. Really no lay down sure wins left on the schedule.

It brings up a point, though - if Frost can’t win there, who can? If they fire the golden boy, they’ll have slim pickings for his replacement. Ultimately, I think he is safe this year, but winning 3 or 4 games when you were talking about a division title at the beginning of the year is a very bad look.

They're not firing the golden boy. He's going to get 4-5 years minimum, and I think he'll probably still be there when they come back here in 2023.

They're not firing the golden boy. He's going to get 4-5 years minimum, and I think he'll probably still be there when they come back here in 2023.
If he’s still there in 2023, that will mean he has reached some level of success. I just don’t see that as likely.

I don't see Taggart lasting. Bold take, I know :D. How the **** do you not field a top team with all that talent in your own backyard? Every time I hear or see his name, I think of Beverly Hills Cop :D .

Last edited:
One name to watch is Barry Odom at Mizzou. They have had back to back embarrassing losses to Vanderbilt and Kentucky (a team playing a converted WR at QB). They sit a 5-3 with Georgia and Florida looming. He is probably safe if can get six wins, though Missouri is ineligible for a bowl game. His buyout is manageable at just under $3 million.

They’re printing the Life Champions t-shirts in Piscataway as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back