What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he has played it smartly. He knows USC will be the big fish if he wants to fire Helton. No other competition in this cycle. Test the waters for now or later and, in the meantime, have Helton put together a plan - including contingency plan if Harrell leaves - and hold him accountable.

I view most of these posts as anti-Bohn sentiment, rather than assessment of the situation.
It is a really simple situation. Clay Helton should not be the head coach of USC anymore. No USC fans or boosters want him to be and every other Pac-12 fan base wants him as the head coach. If Bohn keeps him he is going to lose most of his reputation with those people within a month of being hired. If you think this is anti-Bohn sentiment then you really need to go look at those who cover USC on a day to day basis, their fan comments, Pac-12 and national guys and the reactions of other fan bases.

It is a really simple situation. Clay Helton should not be the head coach of USC anymore. No USC fans or boosters want him to be and every other Pac-12 fan base wants him as the head coach. If Bohn keeps him he is going to lose most of his reputation with those people within a month of being hired. If you think this is anti-Bohn sentiment then you really need to go look at those who cover USC on a day to day basis, their fan comments, Pac-12 and national guys and the reactions of other fan bases.
Carol Folt has made it clear the role fans and boosters play in this decision. She (and Bohn) realize they may play a price short-term, with some. But they clearly believe the good ole boy USC network has to be broken, at many levels, not just in athletics. She thinks she will win the long game, and seems to have a mandate among her bosses to do it.

I know what those that cover USC think. I know what many of their fans think. I know what some, but not all, national pundits think. My money is on Carol Folt as a reformer.

Carol Folt has made it clear the role fans and boosters play in this decision. She (and Bohn) realize they may play a price short-term, with some. But they clearly believe the good ole boy USC network has to be broken, at many levels, not just in athletics. She thinks she will win the long game, and seems to have a mandate among her bosses to do it.

I know what those that cover USC think. I know what many of their fans think. I know what some, but not all, national pundits think. My money is on Carol Folt as a reformer.
I get that she is trying to break the good ole boy network at USC and that is fine but it still doesn't change the fact that Clay Helton has lost 11 games in two years and is currently sitting in the 60's in recruiting rankings because everyone know he isn't the long term answer at USC. When you are forcing staff changes this late in the game you are just delaying the inevitable. You can reform and still make the right decisions at the same time and keeping Clay Helton as head coach is not the right decision.

I get that she is trying to break the good ole boy network at USC and that is fine but it still doesn't change the fact that Clay Helton has lost 11 games in two years and is currently sitting in the 60's in recruiting rankings because everyone know he isn't the long term answer at USC. When you are forcing staff changes this late in the game you are just delaying the inevitable. You can reform and still make the right decisions at the same time and keeping Clay Helton as head coach is not the right decision.
Fair points. I’ll give recruiting a pass. Impossible to recruit under his circumstances. Hire Tosh.

I give him props for roster management and deployment through injuries this year. Last year was questionable, I agree. Maybe we should look at the totality of his tenure, rather than the last two years.

They are working on accountability measures - including staff changes - something Swann never did.
You can work on accountability measures without losing control of the narrative. He is not in control of the situation. It’s typical Mike Bohn MO. Most people here know that I have defended him pretty vigorously over the years, but he has some glaring weaknesses that are front and center right now.

You can work on accountability measures without losing control of the narrative. He is not in control of the situation. It’s typical Mike Bohn MO. Most people here know that I have defended him pretty vigorously over the years, but he has some glaring weaknesses that are front and center right now.
Outline the narrative. Three bullets.

To me, he clearly grabbed the narrative with his on-field post game actions after UCLA.

The good OL boy network is what sustains USC as a blue blood top tier college football program. I don’t know how I feel about dismantling the highest profile football program in our conference.

Outline the narrative. Three bullets.

To me, he clearly grabbed the narrative with his on-field post game actions after UCLA.
Then why is there still so much speculation on whether Helton stays or goes? There’s a pattern at play with Bohn. This is not a new scenario for him. We’ve seen this act before.

The good OL boy network is what sustains USC as a blue blood top tier college football program. I don’t know how I feel about dismantling the highest profile football program in our conference.
Nature abhors a vacuum. Let Colorado fill such the hypothetical void.

It was a cesspool. Look at Athletic Directors. And the admissions scandal. It got them to where they are today.

Dismantling seems a bit dramatic.

Then why is there still so much speculation on whether Helton stays or goes? There’s a pattern at play with Bohn. This is not a new scenario for him. We’ve seen this act before.
Narrative? What do you want him to do/say?

I don't care what USC fans or boosters want. As a fan of another Pac 12 school, I want him to stay.

Fair points. I’ll give recruiting a pass. Impossible to recruit under his circumstances. Hire Tosh.

I give him props for roster management and deployment through injuries this year. Last year was questionable, I agree. Maybe we should look at the totality of his tenure, rather than the last two years.

Why is it impossible to recruit under the circumstances?

USC 2020 Schedule:

Bama in Arlington
Notre Dame
@ Oregon
@ Utah
Washington

Then you have the middle of the conference that has proven to feast on itself.

Good luck.
They loose 4 of 5 out the gate next season and put in an interim. Is it the OC or DC Bohn has given the nod to?

Scary part for USC is you know he isn’t your long term answer. Recruiting is bad for them right now and it won’t get better next year when all the same rumors keep swirling of his impending firing. They’re going down a dark hole that will take a few years to dig out of, at least.

Why is it impossible to recruit under the circumstances?
Question marks around a head coach typically create tough recruiting circumstances, especially the teams that employ anti-recruiting measures. I see that at play at USC.

However, recruiting has to improve. I think that’s part of the changes we will see.

Tosh.

Question marks around a head coach typically create tough recruiting circumstances, especially the teams that employ anti-recruiting measures. I see that at play at USC.

However, recruiting has to improve. I think that’s part of the changes we will see.

Tosh.
Yes but this is USC we are talking about. I get being a little behind like last year but they are having their worst recruiting cycle in the last 20 years.

Would a top tier coach ever be recruiting as badly as Clay right now?

No, he wouldn't.

Clay Helton is not a top tier coach.

USC is a top tier destination.

I'm happy he's staying there and I hope Bohn finds more excuses for Clay.

Oh, this is great reading:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Yes but this is USC we are talking about. I get being a little behind like last year but they are having their worst recruiting cycle in the last 20 years.
If it continues, it’s a problem. I expect him to hire recruiters. Let’s also see if he can keep Harrell.

Wednesday Carousel Update:

dwyermj kicks off the spin of the carousel with the first carousel casualty, Chris Ash.

New stuff noted with an UPDATE tag. Lots to cover, updates are now more of a conglomeration so you don't have to scroll through to catch up.

Filled Jobs:

Rutgers-
Chris Ash out (h/t dwyermj), Nunzio Campanile was interim. Schiano back for Round 2 (h/t Jalapeno).

Washington-
On and off the Carousel in what may be world record time, Peterson out, Lake in. (h/t MKBuffs) Shout out to onealcd for his swami-like predictive powers on this one.

Open Jobs:

Florida State- Willie Taggert out after less than two years. (h/t vinniew_11). FSU has spent roughly $30M (h/t sinkratz) on coaches over the last two years.Odell Haggins, longtime FSU AC is interim. Taggart did not sign his contract. He was coaching under a letter of agreement. FSU may be able to avoid a big chunk of his buyout. UPDATE: Looks like it will be Norvell, and they are waiting for the CUSA CCG. FSU went after Franklin, Stoops, Kelly and Matt Campbell, but Norvell is the man they are betting on.

Arkansas- Chad Morris is out. Could not win even one SEC game. (h/t Duff). UPDATE: Norvell was apparently a target, but too pissed over the Chad Morris fiasco last time around. Matt Campbell was offered and he declined. Arky boards saying it is Kiffin, now down to details (h/t Hawg1), with Leach as the fall back position, Arky plane was in Pullman in the last two days. I think Kiffin.

UNLV- Sanchez does not survive. (h/t Jens). No winning seasons in five. Of note, Ced Cormier is WR coach on UNLV's staff, I hope he lands on his feet. UNLV could be a decent gig, now that they share the Raiders under construction stadium in Sin City. I was in LV last month, that stadium is pretty sweet. Food Cart and RichRod (h/t ahoelsken), (h/t BuffBronco) who adds a list of Rob Likens, Danny Gonzales, DII Danny Hawkins, Graham Harrell, MikMac, Jeff Choate, Rob Stitt and Troy Taylor. In other words, could be anybody.

University of Almost Mexico- Bob Davie out. (h/t Black Dynamite)

USF- Charlie Strong is out. How the mighty have fallen. Taggart wants the gig (h/t DeNiro)

Mizzou- Barry Odom out. (h/t Duff) UPDATE: Haskins, Monken and Healy, are early names (h/t Bombay) other names: Troy Calhoun, Skip Holtz, Willie Fritz and Jim McElwain.

UTSA- Frank Wilson out. (h/t DeNiro)

Ole Miss- Matt Luke is out (h/t jeric). MikMac serves as interim while search is conducted. My money in on RichRod. Leach, Norvell, and RichRod are early names (h/t DeNiro). UPDATE: ULL's Billy Napier and UAB's Bill Clark are others names. Reports of player dissatisfaction, a few Ole Miss die hards campaigning for Freeze to come back.

Boston College- Steve Addizzio out. (h/t DeNiro)

Old Dominion- Bobby Wilder resigns (h/t DeNiro) Normally, ODU would not make the cut for the update, but damn, DeNiro putting in the work. You have to respect that.

Possibles:

Harbaugh- Hard to say. Jimbo had a rough start, but it may come down to tOSU. 9-3 probably good enough this year.

Derek Mason- below .400 at Vandy in year six. Derek Mason is safe per the AD. (h/t jeric).

Clay Helton- Swann out, Mike Bohn in as AD. Articles in the mainstream reporting Bohn leaning towards keeping Helton. The path of least resistance is an irresistable shiny object for Mikey. Reports he is out (h/t Serenity), other reports he isn't, classic Bohn cluster. UPDATE: SC taking time for "all the right reasons", like getting Helton a new job first. Classic Mikey. UM and Bob Stoops supposedly in play (h/t serenity). Now, Helton staying, with staff changes (h/t Spiff). Pres. Folt, and I can hear her now, "the days of the old boys club are over", is sort of like a mildly competent Bitsy, out to reform SC. I applaud her. Reform them to .500, I say.

Mike Bobo- CSU may not be able to afford to let him go yet. When you look at his overall record, it isn't bad by CSU standards. But the losses to the flagship, AFA, Boise and Wyoming weigh heavily. Wins at UNM, UNLV and Fresno could save Bobo, but losing at home AFA and loss number 12 under Bobo to CSU's rivals, this time in the form of Wyoming, puts CSU out of a bowl and winless against its four rivals. 4-8, probably out, with Alford a possible replacement (h/t RollTad21). AD Joe Parker could be headed out (h/t ), maybe to Cincy. Chaos ensues in the goat pen.

Will Muschamp- Received the dreaded vote of confidence from his AD. Columbia is in shambles. Football staffers now resort to alcohol and fistfights with Muschamp impersonators. DBT wants to do an intervention. Muschamp probably safe, but staff changes coming.

Michigan State- Mark D'Antonio looks worn out, so does his team. Pounding by rival Michigan and recent lackluster results could bring a retirement for 63 year old D'Antonio. UPDATE: D'Antonio says he is coming back. (h/t Duffman).

fUCLA- Could Kelly be on thin ice? Maybe. (h/t Duff) $9MM to buy Kelly out, he owes $9MM if he leaves. Sounds like a deal could be made for both parties to save face.

Tejas- Could Herman be on the carousel? (h/t Duff) Massive AC changes foisted on Herman. DC Orlando out, shopping for new OC including SC's Harrell and Joe Brady from LSU. (h/t DeNiro) Tim Beck out as OC (h/t Jens). The big cigars have spoken.

Mississippi St.- Joe Moorhead may need the Egg Bowl to keep his job, or he may just go to Rutgers. (h/t Duff) Moorhead and AD say he's staying (h/t DeNiro)

UTEP- I mean who cares, but (h/t DeNiro) points out Dimel has not had success, so UT-Juarez may be coach shopping.

Tulsa- Philip Montgomery may be cut. (h/t DeNiro)

Okie Lite- The yearly, will he or won't he leave drama of Gundy's Mullet begins anew (h/t DeNiro).

Other News:

Show me the Money- Cali leads the way to player pay, starting 2023. Hapless NCAA and Conferences clutch pearls.

Sheriron Jones- The well-traveled QB gets caught in a solo routine. CU dodged a bullet. (h/t sewallbeach)

Arizona- Gets defensive about its DC and fires him, and one defensive AC. (h/t Jens). Chuck Cecil now DC (h/t ahoelsken). Fired their DL coach, Sumlin dropping defensive AC's on a near weekly basis. (h/t DeNiro). UPDATE: Sumlin back for year three (h/t Jens)

ASU- Herm guns down his OC and pretty much the whole O staff. (h/t DeNiro) Hue Jackson as OC? (h/t MKBuffs)

Wazzu- Tracy Claeys "resigns". (h/t Tractor)

USC- hires Mike Bohn as AD (h/t ZKobalt), 11 other P12 programs chuckling uncontrollably.

Minnesota- PJ Fleck extended for 7 years, kNU in mourning.

Indiana- Tom Allen negotiating a raise, and presumably, an extension. kNU mourns more.

kNU- Frost extended by two years, then promptly loses, again, to Wiscy. (h/t blackdynamite), I think he had it first. kNU extends no bowl streak with loss to Iowa.

BYU- Kilani 'the Mushroom" Sitaki extended.

Willie Taggart- As noted in the FSU update, not so slick Willie never signed a formal agreement with FSU and the buyout provisions are up in the air. Willie needs to lawyer up and go after his agent and former attorney. This one cost him a bundle.

No. Colorado- Earnest Hollings gets the axe. (h/t ahoelsken)

UNLV-UN-R: Game erupts into a full blown brawl.

Norhtwestern- McCall the OC/QB canned. (h/t DeNiro)

Texas St.- Bob Stitt out (h/t DeNiro)

ISU/Matt Campbell- Extension signed through 2025 (h/t TSchek)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back