What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leach sure does love him some middle of no where college towns.

ain't that the truth. I'll miss him in the Pac but i think this could be pretty interesting and if ESPN's bloating of the middle tier SEC teams (especially Ole Miss and MSU...who get "ranked" if they are 3-1 with the usual cupcake OOC's and an upcoming game against Bama).....has to be 24/7 then at least it will be a bit more entertaining. also, out of conference....i can flat out pull for the Pirate. Big XII (Tech) and Pac (WSU)....always a modicum of competition against CU even across divisions.

Now, get'em Mike.

So you really think that Vanderbilt's 3-9 record really matters either way to the perception of the SEC conference? Or that if MSU or Mizzou were not essentially .500 teams this year, but rather were like Vanderbilt's record, that would have further trashed the perception?

I don't think anyone really believes that. At the end of the day, the top 3 or so define the conference. If the conference is reasonably competitive nationally. If WSU goes back to a 4 win team, that will mean another win for about 4-6 more PAC12 teams, and will have almost no further effect on the PAC12.
You are making this a lot harder than it needs to be. The SEC was a deep conference this year, no debating that but Vanderbilt and Arkansas were an embarrassment.

It is a pretty simple question, if a program loses a good coach who outperformed expectations is that good for the league? The answer is clearly no.

You are making this a lot harder than it needs to be. The SEC was a deep conference this year, no debating that but Vanderbilt and Arkansas were an embarrassment.

It is a pretty simple question, if a program loses a good coach who outperformed expectations is that good for the league? The answer is clearly no.
The answer IS clearly no. But it's a mild thing compared to the PAC12 not having a team they can put forward to the CFB playoffs year after year.

I do happen to believe that the current opening at WSU is one the nastiest openings in years. Leach so far exceeded expectations, that any coach going there will be measured against that. Pullman is hard to get to, near nothing (especially fertile recruiting grounds) and lacks prestige (academically, or otherwise). Graham Harrell would be nuts to go there. I honestly think they need to take a wild chance on someone who has baggage, much like they did with Leach.

Am I the only one that thinks McElwain is a good coach and would likely do very well at Wazzu? I thought he had CSU on a path back to the top tier of the Mountain West before he left for FL. He isn’t made for a big program (too much of a doofus), but I think he’d be an excellent hire at Wazzu.

The answer IS clearly no. But it's a mild thing compared to the PAC12 not having a team they can put forward to the CFB playoffs year after year.

I do happen to believe that the current opening at WSU is one the nastiest openings in years. Leach so far exceeded expectations, that any coach going there will be measured against that. Pullman is hard to get to, near nothing (especially fertile recruiting grounds) and lacks prestige (academically, or otherwise). Graham Harrell would be nuts to go there. I honestly think they need to take a wild chance on someone who has baggage, much like they did with Leach.
And I never said anything otherwise, just that a program like WSU losing a coach the caliber of Leach is not a good thing and I totally agree that it will be tough for them to fine someone.

Am I the only one that thinks McElwain is a good coach and would likely do very well at Wazzu? I thought he had CSU on a path back to the top tier of the Mountain West before he left for FL. He isn’t made for a big program (too much of a doofus), but I think he’d be an excellent hire at Wazzu.
Not a bad hire, but would probably do worse than Leach did.

What kind of staff could sparkles assemble there? I assume he still is reasonably well connected. How hard is it to get good assistants to Pullman?

The Carousel Won't Stop Spinning Update:

New stuff noted with an UPDATE tag.

Filled Jobs:

Mississippi St.-
The Pirate lands in Starkville, cowbell in hand. (h/t ZKobalt)

SDSU- Rocky Long steps down, Brady Hoke takes over. UPDATE: That fat bastard Hoke lets Jashon Sykes go.

Rutgers- Chris Ash out (h/t dwyermj), Nunzio Campanile was interim. Schiano back for Round 2 (h/t Jalapeno).

Washington-
On and off the Carousel in what may be world record time, Peterson out, Lake in. (h/t MKBuffs) Shout out to onealcd for his swami-like predictive powers on this one.

Florida State- Willie Taggert out after less than two years. (h/t vinniew_11). Mike Norvell in. (h/t CarolinaBuff) Leavitt gone (h/t Trufflesauce). ODell Haggins retained as DL (h/t DeNiro). Fmr. Auburn OC/QB Ken Dillingham filling same role at FSU. (h/t DeNiro).

Ole Miss- Matt Luke is out (h/t jeric). The Lane train rolls into Oxford, Lane Kiffin in, stiffing Arky. (h/t DeNiro, ahoelsken, Hawg) MikMac stays as DC. (h/t BinaryBuff) Love, S and C from FAU follows. RichRod sent packing (h/t ahoelsken)

Arkansas- Chad Morris is out. Could not win even one SEC game. (h/t Duff). UGA OL coach Sam Pittman in. Fmr. Mizzou HC Barry Odom now DC (h/t Duff). Kendal Briles OC (h/t DeNiro).

Mizzou- Barry Odom out. (h/t Duff) Eli Drinkwitz in (h/t DeNiro), a $4MMper year. Ted Roof added to staff (h/t bombay). Ryan Walters and David Gibbs stay on staff.

UNLV- Sanchez does not survive. (h/t Jens). Ced Cormier is WR coach on UNLV's staff, I hope he lands on his feet. Arroyo Oregon DC in (h/t DeNiro)

USF- Charlie Strong is out. (h/t DeNiro) Clemson co-OC Jeff Scott in. (h/t DeNiro) Strong gets $3MM buyout. Dan DaPrato gets an AC position (h/t TSchek).

UTSA- Frank Wilson out. (h/t DeNiro) Jeff Traylor, from Arky, in. (h/t DeNiro) Barry Lunney, also from Arky to be OC.

Old Dominion- Bobby Wilder resigns (h/t DeNiro) Ricky Rhane from PSU in. (h/t OUBUFF)

Colorado St.- Bobo out (h/t 85Alum) Steve "dude" Addazio (h/t Jens). as Urb's S in L and Dude's son get jobs on the csewe staff. (h/t Dio). S and C flees to FAU, QB Collin Hill just flees.

FAU- Kiffin out, to Ole Miss, Willie Taggart in (h/t DeNiro) Kiffin attempting to raid Bama staff. Jim Leavitt DC (h/t Duff)

Boston College- Steve Addizzio out. (h/t DeNiro) Ryan Hefley, tOSU DC gets gig (h/t DeNiro).

App. State- Drinkwitz off to Mizzou. Interim Shawn Clark takes over (h/t DeNiro).

Memphis- Norvell off to FSU, Ryan Sutterfield in (h/t DeNiro).

University of Almost Mexico- Bob Davie out. (h/t Black Dynamite) Danny Gonzales ASU DC in (h/t Buffnik).

Fresno St.- Tedford steps down for health reasons, Indiana OC Kalen DeBoer in. (h/t DeNiro)

Open Jobs:

Bailer- Matt Rhule off to Carolina, his divine work completed in Waco, is off to convert Carolina, North and South, into a veritable garden of eden. (h/t onealcd)

Secondary Market-

Washington St.-
Leach weighs anchor and heads to the SEC. Jim Mora? Jim McElwain? Jim Buffet? (h/t DeNiro)

Possibles:

[None]

Other News:

Show me the Money- Cali leads the way to player pay, starting 2023. Hapless NCAA and Conferences clutch pearls.

Sheriron Jones- The well-traveled QB gets caught in a solo routine. CU dodged a bullet. (h/t sewallbeach)

Arizona- Gets defensive about its DC and fires him, and one defensive AC. (h/t Jens). Chuck Cecil now DC (h/t ahoelsken). Fired their DL coach, Sumlin dropping defensive AC's on a near weekly basis. (h/t DeNiro). Sumlin back for year three (h/t Jens) Paul Rhoads now DC (h/t BuffUp).

ASU- Herm guns down his OC and pretty much the whole O staff. Boise OC Zak Hill hired as OC (h/t DeNiro) Tony White new DC (h/t BuffUp)

Wazzu- Tracy Claeys "resigns". (h/t Tractor) Leach extended (h/t DeNiro)

USC- hires Mike Bohn as AD (h/t ZKobalt), 11 other P12 programs chuckling uncontrollably. UPDATE: Harrell stays as OC (h/t DeNiro), DC Pendergast and S and C axed (h/t Hawg1).

Minnesota- PJ Fleck extended for 7 years, kNU in mourning.

Indiana- Tom Allen negotiating a raise, and presumably, an extension. kNU mourns more.

kNU- Frost extended by two years, then promptly loses, again, to Wiscy. (h/t blackdynamite) kNU extends no bowl streak with loss to Iowa.

BYU- Kilani 'the Mushroom" Sitaki extended.

Willie Taggart- As noted in the FSU update, not so slick Willie never signed a formal agreement with FSU and the buyout provisions are up in the air. Willie needs to lawyer up and go after his agent and former attorney. This one cost him a bundle.

No. Colorado- Earnest Hollings gets the axe. (h/t ahoelsken) Eddie McCaffrey new head Bear (h/t ahoelsken)

UNLV-UN-R: Game erupts into a full blown brawl.

Northwestern- McCall the OC/QB canned. (h/t DeNiro) Mike Bajakian new OC (h/t DeNiro)

Texas St.- Bob Stitt out (h/t DeNiro)

ISU/Matt Campbell- Extension signed through 2025 (h/t TSchek)

Tejas- Chris Ash new DC (h/t somebody, I forgot) tOSU passing Coord. Yurcich the new OC (h/t DeNiro)

Oregon St.- Bigger AC pool (h/t DeNiro)

Liberty- Hugh Freeze gets raise (h/t DeNiro)

Mike Bobo- Lands OC gig at So. Carolina for $1.2 MM/yr.

No. Carolina- Mack Brown extended

Notre Dame- OC Chip Long gone (h/t dwyermj)

UGA- Matt Luke now OL.

Auburn- Chad Morris retreads to the plains. (h/t Hawg)

SMU- Dykes get extensions. (h/t DeNiro)

Miami- Dan Enos canned. (h/t DeNiro)

Vandy- Mason pulls the old fire the coordinator trick as fmr. Corn****er Gdowski and and Jason Tarver out as OC and DC respectively. (h/t DeNiro)

TT- Todd Orlando lands in Lubbock as AHC/LB. (h/t DeNiro)

Memphis- Charles Clark DB coach (h/t TSchek), MikMac DC (h/t Sewall Beach)

All Encompassing, Long Awaited SJ Tuohy Update- SJ Tuohy, the little kid in the Blind Side movie, actually exists, and was fired from the Arky staff as Dir. of Player Development. Stay tuned for more breaking news on this very important story.

PAC 12 openings of note:

WSU - Leach gone
UW - looking for an OC
Oregon - Open OC - (Moorhead? Jorge Munoz (analyst at LSU)?)
ASU - replaced both coordinators.
Arizona - edit
Hired Paul Rhodes from UCLA as new DC. Rhodes has a solid rep, former head coach at Iowa State.
USC - looking for a DC

Last edited:
Washington hired their OC today. Nothing special at first glance, but not terrible either.

Leach will do what he did at Wazzou and what he did at Texas Tech.

He will win enough games to get to a lot of mid-level bowls while rarely ending on top. In 18 years as a head coach he has tied for winning his division twice and never won it outright.

He may not be highly popular in the SEC though because they tend to take their football way to seriously there. Leach has a long history of losing games to teams he should have beaten (Mike Mac got him a couple times) but also of beating some teams who were big favorites over his. He is a pain in the neck to prepare for, similar to preparing for a triple option team in that your players don't see his offense often enough to get comfortable and most teams have trouble simulating it in practice.

Let him beat a few highly ranked SEC teams (while losing to a couple bottom feeders) and all the sudden they won't think he is so cute.

He won't lose to as many games to inferior opponents as he did at Wazzu (Embo got him in 2012. He also lost multiple games to FCS opponents. IIRC, the only time FHCMM beat him was 2016. He'll have Mississippi State in Music City/Belk type bowls regularly, but he won't ever win the SEC West there. Wasn't the last team to win that division with 2 conference losses LSU in 2007?

Leach is going to get his QBs killed playing his offense in the SEC. He will also have to put more effort into recruiting if he wants to duplicate past success. I suspect 2020 will be a wakeup call when he plays @Bama, @LSU, and Auburn in consecutive weeks.

Leach is going to get his QBs killed playing his offense in the SEC. He will also put more effort into recruiting if he wants to duplicate past success. I suspect 2020 will be a wakeup call when he plays @Bama, @LSU, and Auburn in consecutive weeks.

But hey...we will be funny in the press conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back