What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

***OFFICIAL 2019 CU FOOTBALL FALL CAMP THREAD***

Perry has a lot on his plate to learn the Star, so probably not enough time to learn safety also.

Last edited:
Maybe. Not sure we have a true star in the secondary.
But they are solid in the top 5 there. Not special, probably not great anywhere, but solid. They have true stars at the other two levels, so as long as they remain healthy in the Secondary, I don't see why they can't be 6th or better in the conference.

But they are solid in the top 5 there. Not special, probably not great anywhere, but solid. They have true stars at the other two levels, so as long as they remain healthy in the Secondary, I don't see why they can't be 6th or better in the conference.

You gotta have at least one playmaker in the secondary to reach that level of defense.

You gotta have at least one playmaker in the secondary to reach that level of defense.
To be mediocre or above average in this conference? Last year CU ranked 5th in the Pac 12 in yards/game and 9th in points/game. To put that in perspective, USC and Oregon were tied for 7th and 8th in points against with 27 ppg, while CU gave up 27.3. Effectively, CU's defense was T-7th in the Pac 12 in PPG and in the upper half in yards against, with DJ Eliot calling plays and a 7 game meltdown. ASU was 6th in the conference at 25.1/game which ranked 49th nationally.

To be mediocre or above average in this conference? Last year CU ranked 5th in the Pac 12 in yards/game and 9th in points/game. To put that in perspective, USC and Oregon were tied for 7th and 8th in points against with 27 ppg, while CU gave up 27.3. Effectively, CU's defense was T-7th in the Pac 12 in PPG and in the upper half in yards against, with DJ Eliot calling plays and a 7 game meltdown. ASU was 6th in the conference at 25.1/game which ranked 49th nationally.

Or even better perspective: in conference only stats, the defense ranked 10th in scoring defense.

Agree with pretty much everything. Need someone else to disrupt on the DL besides Mustafa, need Wells to take another step forward, and we really need to stay healthy at CB. Those things happen and the defense should hold up. Not great or even good, but not a complete detriment.

Need to add a few interceptions by DBs. Last year we had 4 (WTF?)

I think that's what it comes down to. This secondary will give up yards and some big plays. What we need it to do is not have breakdowns (guys are in position and make the tackle), to hold up in coverage long enough to force a QB to a 2nd or 3rd read on most plays to give the pass rush a chance, and to force turnovers by being aggressive tacklers and going for INTs instead of being satisfied with knocking balls away.

I don't expect to see a corner lock down 1/3 of the field. I don't expect to see a safety covering ground that neutralizes pass plays that were well designed and executed with time to throw. But I think we can get to the point where they make the tackles they're supposed to, force the offense to earn it, and gain us extra possessions with momentum plays. Hell, if they can just be aggressive and physical then that makes them light years better than 2018 even if they are still getting beat on a regular basis.

Strength of this defense is almost certainly going to be the linebackers. The secondary holding up long enough to allow them to get a deeper drop and also bring edge pressure on the QB is probably the main thing.

Last edited:
The played a FCS team and two other teams who finished 7-17.
Yeah, we can compare the other P12 teams' OOC schedules and I would imagine CU's is somewhere in the middle. Not hard, but certainly not as easy as others.

I guess I'll rephrase it... Assuming there's another guy on the DL/OLB who can get after the QB and the Secondary stays healthy, I don't see why they can't have a middling defensive unit across all 12 games.

Yeah, we can compare the other P12 teams' OOC schedules and I would imagine CU's is somewhere in the middle. Not hard, but certainly not as easy as others.

I guess I'll rephrase it... Assuming there's another guy on the DL/OLB who can get after the QB and the Secondary stays healthy, I don't see why they can't have a middling defensive unit across all 12 games.

The way I look at it CU's defense last year ranked 50-60 in the advanced stats that I looked at last year while the offense ranked 85-95. I think we can all agree the offense should be the strong suit this year. If we can keep the defense equivalent to what it was last year and make a big jump on the offensive side like we should be able to we go bowling.

I'm surprised given that fall camp has wrapped up there hasn't been any mention of Walk-Ons earning a scholarship. Figure at minimum Jack Shutack would have earned one.

So Arizona had three flags on a field goal and their kicker made one from 52 instead of 38 lol. and then they made it down to the 1 yard line on the final play and lost to Hawaii. Looks bad for the PAC12. Looks good for another Buffs W. Can't really talk when we couldn't get up to the line thanks to the refs and lost there as well.

This is why I'm hoping we have somebody that can get to the damn QB, pressure creates mistakes, always has.
It's been an SOB finding a replacement for Jimmy Gilbert, In '16, Jimmy led the team with 10.5 sacks, 36 total for the team that season. in 2018 the team had just 29 sacks, with Mustafa leading the way @ 7.5. With no edge rusher of Jimmy's caliber, they're going to need to get their sacks done by committee. I could see a group of Landman, Taylor, Wells, and a Mustafa and Tschangam reaching 30+ between them. They're going to need to take some chances, bring a ton a pressure if these DBs are going to have a chance this season.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/38/season/2016

It's been an SOB finding a replacement for Jimmy Gilbert, In '16, Jimmy led the team with 10.5 sacks, 36 total for the team that season. in 2018 the team had just 29 sacks, with Mustafa leading the way @ 7.5. With no edge rusher of Jimmy's caliber, they're going to need to get their sacks done by committee. I could see a group of Landman, Taylor, Wells, and a Mustafa and Tschangam reaching 30+ between them. They're going to need to take some chances, bring a ton a pressure if these DBs are going to have a chance this season.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/38/season/2016
Well, if they get pressure from somebody, doesn't matter who. It could be Mustafa, dude is pretty good. I'd love to have an edge rusher, somebody that can flat rush and cause some havoc. When you have that, the secondary can play loose, gamble a bit on plays, because you know they won't have much time.

Well, if they get pressure from somebody, doesn't matter who. It could be Mustafa, dude is pretty good. I'd love to have an edge rusher, somebody that can flat rush and cause some havoc. When you have that, the secondary can play loose, gamble a bit on plays, because you know they won't have much time.

I am thinking/hoping Alex Tchangam will be this guy in 2019

I love preseason chatter predicting our strengths and weaknesses and who will or won’t or must step up. The season almost never plays out the way we think or expect. Guys we dismissed will contribute. Guys we counted on will fail. It’s all why we keep coming back.

I love preseason chatter predicting our strengths and weaknesses and who will or won’t or must step up. The season almost never plays out the way we think or expect. Guys we dismissed will contribute. Guys we counted on will fail. It’s all why we keep coming back.
I wasn't predicting anything, if you were talking to me. Just said we need that for our D. We don't have a lot of depth on the back end, a pass rush helps that quite a bit.

Pretty sure conjecture and speculation are big reasons why this place even exists. Sort of weird seeing this remark coming from you, thought members of Greatest Generation lived for these sort of pastimes.

Back