What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

***OFFICIAL 2019 CU FOOTBALL FALL CAMP THREAD***

Yes, I’m aware I compared him to one of the best in the NFL. I still stand by the comparison as that’s what I believe to be Landman’s ceiling, as well. Do you not think Landman has Butkus award potential this year or possibly 2020 if he returns?
I think it is possible for sure. I just think the stats lines would be different which shows they are different players.

Kueckly had 191 tackles, 102 solo, 12 for loss, 0 sacks and 3 picks in his butkus year. (my god that solo number is unbelievable)

I think with Landman you would see something like 145 tackles, 85 solo, 22 for loss, 8 sacks and a pick.

Ted Johnson was a second round pick. Matt Russell was a 4th round pick. Greg Biekert was a 7th round pick. Inside linebackers rarely get picked in the first round, even if they are Butkus award finalists.

it's ok to admit Landman hasn't shown he's as good as an all Pro NFL linebacker guys, sheesh. I know being sunshine pumper extraordinaire is fun, but come on.
All I've ever said is that I believe he has that kind of ceiling at the next level, not that he is as good right now as Kuechly is going into his 8th season in the NFL.

Ted Johnson was a second round pick. Matt Russell was a 4th round pick. Greg Biekert was a 7th round pick. Inside linebackers rarely get picked in the first round, even if they are Butkus award finalists.
Devin White and Devin Bush were both taken in the top 10 this year, Roquan Smith, Leighton Vander Esch and Rashaan Evans were all taken in the 1st round in 2018 (Darius Leonard was taken 36th overall in 2018 as well).

Devin White and Devin Bush were both taken in the top 10 this year, Roquan Smith, Leighton Vander Esch and Rashaan Evans were all taken in the 1st round in 2018 (Darius Leonard was taken 36th overall in 2018 as well).

That makes a Russell/Johnson comp look about right. White, Bush, Smith...supreme athletes that are in a very select class of their own.

Matt Russell and Ted Johnson are two of the best linebackers to play at CU. Being in that company is pretty good.

That makes a Russell/Johnson comp look about right. White, Bush, Smith...supreme athletes that are in a very select class of their own.
What about Darius Leonard (DROY, All Pro, NFL Tackle Leader), Rashaan Evans and Leighton Vander Esch (Pro Bowler, 2nd team All Pro)? All top 36 picks. There is a clear premium being placed on ILB who can play in today's NFL. Yes, to be a top 5-10 pick at the position, a guy must have the supreme athleticism like Bush's and Smith, but Leonard, LVE and Rashaan Evans aren't on that level.

Ok, Finally a no fluff video by CU, featuring Coach Barnett (man do I miss that guy). When Asked about the state of the team in his opinion GB gave us some good carrots:

1. The team has not fully bought in at least to MT standards. GB mentioned it twice
2. GB stated we have the 5th toughest schedule (is this accurate?)
3. CU will be a hard nosed, tough football team
4. Defensively - Eeek, "coaches need to come up with a way to make the Defense play better than it looks"
5. Offense - Lot of weapons. RB - I"ve seen enough of these young running backs to say that they are going to have a lot of options", "there's enough talent there", "may not have a feature back"
6. This team will keep coming so you better bring your A game

Ok, Finally a no fluff video by CU, featuring Coach Barnett (man do I miss that guy). When Asked about the state of the team in his opinion GB gave us some good carrots:

1. The team has not fully bought in at least to MT standards. GB mentioned it twice
2. GB stated we have the 5th toughest schedule (is this accurate?)
3. CU will be a hard nosed, tough football team
4. Defensively - Eeek, "coaches need to come up with a way to make the Defense play better than it looks"
5. Offense - Lot of weapons. RB - I"ve seen enough of these young running backs to say that they are going to have a lot of options", "there's enough talent there", "may not have a feature back"
6. This team will keep coming so you better bring your A game

Link?

Hearing that he likes the RBs is great news. I mean, he made both Chris Brown and Bobby Purify rotate until CB destroyed nebraska... He rarely had a feature back.

Comment about the defense is disheartening, but not too surprising. Overall, more positive than I thought.

There is no doubt the offense should be ahead of the defense but let's hope its not so bad that we have an inflated view of what they offense can do and they end up being mediocre which the defense is bad. That doesn't give us much of a shot to be a bowl team.

anyone who hoped that the team as completely on board with the new head coach's standard was living in the clouds. I know I was. But MM recruited 95% of these guys and it hasn't been long. Not that they won't, but barnett saying this team looked tough is a great sign that the process is well underway.

There is no doubt the offense should be ahead of the defense but let's hope its not so bad that we have an inflated view of what they offense can do and they end up being mediocre which the defense is bad. That doesn't give us much of a shot to be a bowl team.
The offense has more experience and talent, so in that respect, I agree that they should be ahead of the defense, but that's not how it typically works in camp, especially when new schemes are being installed on both sides. Tucker's comments that there's been good back and forth between O and D is encouraging, though.

The offense has more experience and talent, so in that respect, I agree that they should be ahead of the defense, but that's not how it typically works in camp, especially when new schemes are being installed on both sides. Tucker's comments that there's been good back and forth between O and D is encouraging, though.
The defense usually does well early in camp but we are two weeks in. The offense is just loaded with weapons including one of the best playmakers in the country and a 5th year QB and some serious experience up front with Lynott, Hambright, Sherman and Pursell. They should be winning a majority of the time. I just hope it isn't like 2017 where we thought the defensive line was better than it really was so we thought the offensive line was better than it really way and that all went to **** pretty early in the season. We need a good offense and a mediocre defense in order to go bowling.

The defense usually does well early in camp but we are two weeks in. The offense is just loaded with weapons including one of the best playmakers in the country and a 5th year QB and some serious experience up front with Lynott, Hambright, Sherman and Pursell. They should be winning a majority of the time. I just hope it isn't like 2017 where we thought the defensive line was better than it really was so we thought the offensive line was better than it really way and that all went to **** pretty early in the season. We need a good offense and a mediocre defense in order to go bowling.
@Highlander

You know that old axiom, if your offense is killing your defense, maybe it is because your defense is bad as opposed to the offense being great.

Yeah, I think I've heard that somewhere before.
Agree. However, I think our defense was better than our offense by the end of last season. Looking at personnel, I don't think our defense should be worse than it was but I did expect our offense - when at full health - to be the unit that had to win games for us this year. I'm going into this season with the expectation that CU has a better offense than defense. If we talk about all 3 phases, I think our ST is probably our best group this year.

The defense is going to struggle in spots this season. The path to a bowl game is to win a random shootout or two and play solid special teams to minimize the defense being put in bad spots.
Just need the defense to be okay. There are going to be games where they are lit up (@Oregon, Washington) but we need some performances that also sort of come out of no where with certain matchups.

You know that old axiom, if your offense is killing your defense, maybe it is because your defense is bad as opposed to the offense being great.

Yeah, I think I've heard that somewhere before.

Looking at the flip side of that though, maybe our offense really is great and we actually have a decent defense that's looking iffy against a high powered offense..

Not that depth is great on offense by any stretch, but it is worse on the defensive side of the ball. I have no doubt there are guys being forced to play right now in the two deep who are not all that ready.

I expect that the defense will get better and better as the year progresses. They are learning a new scheme, while simultaneously plugging in a ton of new pieces that have little to no experience. A defense is good only when they can just go play and not think. They're not there yet, which is no surprise.

The good thing is, a lot of this can be covered up with great effort, and that is something that seems like it will be demanded by the entire defensive staff.

Back