What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Arizona Pregame/Game Thread

It was good to see a win. Still a lot to work on. Getting Rice involved (finally) helped. Shutting out the ‘Cats put a good statement, but they are still not good.

the Buffs need to get something going in the run game. It’s frustrating to see a team with the same personnel on the field, more or less (aside from Sherman) unable to clear out a hole for Broussard or any of the backs to move through. I’m still surprised Stanley dropped that TD pass.

When we went for that first field goal it seemed like a slap in the face for the O line. But then they could not get the 1st down on 4th and very short at mid-field. Just does not seem like that group is strong enough or physical enough to get the running game going. I can't put it down to coaching.

When we went for that first field goal it seemed like a slap in the face for the O line. But then they could not get the 1st down on 4th and very short at mid-field. Just does not seem like that group is strong enough or physical enough to get the running game going. I can't put it down to coaching.
It's coaching. That's actually the easiest block, unlike all the stuff on the move or in space where a lack of athleticism shows up. It's all recognition, fit, leverage and attitude.

It's coaching. That's actually the easiest block, unlike all the stuff on the move or in space where a lack of athleticism shows up. It's all recognition, fit, leverage and attitude.
What if you are not physically strong enough to handle the man in front of you? I guarantee that no amount of coaching would allow me to play offensive line. I have no real idea of how our OL matches up size wise. And I would have to watch em in the weight room to see if they are strong.

What if you are not physically strong enough to handle the man in front of you? I guarantee that no amount of coaching would allow me to play offensive line. I have no real idea of how our OL matches up size wise. And I would have to watch em in the weight room to see if they are strong.
Did you really graduate in 72? God bless you.

These are 300 LB young men who have been years in a college strength program. Heck, our center is in his 6th year and has been putting up competitive power lifter numbers since he got here.

It's a coaching issue. We also have talent issues, but that's a coaching issue too when it's your job to recruit & to find transfers where you have holes.

I think Adam said it best in the post game he did with Howell today-all this does is take the heat off everybody up there for a week. If we go to Cal and lose, we're right back to where we were this past week.
This doesnt take the heat off anything. Nothing has changed between last week and this week.

This doesnt take the heat off anything. Nothing has changed between last week and this week.
Wins change things. It gave some breathing room and something to build on. A blowout shutout in front of a sellout is significant even if the opponent was terrible.

If we don't see this carry over to this week, though, it's short-lived breathing room with a very depressing trip to Eugene facing us.

I thought we had a new, super duper S&C coach?

Wins change things. It gave some breathing room and something to build on. A blowout shutout in front of a sellout is significant even if the opponent was terrible.

If we don't see this carry over to this week, though, it's short-lived breathing room with a very depressing trip to Eugene facing us.
The insight to Lewis' upside is my takeaway. I'd agree that things are not the same they were before this week. I fully expected us to stumble and maybe fail against a bad UA team. We did not.

That's so cool. I assume you were part of that '71 team that would have been playing for a national championship if not for being in a Big 8 with NU & OU being #1 & #2?
Ummm, no. I was on the swimming team. All sports were represented. Anybody that lettered in 70 or 71. There was one member of that football team. Charlie Davis, that still holds numerous records up there-including rushing for 342 yards in one game. Nice guy. Also, John Stearns who was an all-star catcher with the Mets.

Ummm, no. I was on the swimming team. All sports were represented. Anybody that lettered in 70 or 71. There was one member of that football team. Charlie Davis, that still holds numerous records up there-including rushing for 342 yards in one game. Nice guy. Also, John Stearns who was an all-star catcher with the Mets.
My cousin was a pitcher for the Mets from 79 to (I think) 82 or 83 and Stearns was his catcher.

It was a nice day, but that's all it was. We're still looking at the very real possibility of finishing 2-10. The Cal game will tell us a lot.

Having a game where things actually work goes a long ways towards players actually believing that the things they are working on in practice can work.

When you are not only losing but getting beat up that attitude can be hard to find.

It was a nice day, but that's all it was. We're still looking at the very real possibility of finishing 2-10. The Cal game will tell us a lot.
Even if we beat Cal it is likely the last win of the season so we end up 2-10 or 3-9. Just different but similar levels of bad.

I don't quite get all the negativity. A game like yesterday was the first (very small) step needed to turn what has felt like a total disaster of a season in to something positive, and I think it's ridiculous to balk at that idea. Dating back to the season opener, many people here have said we wouldn't win another game all year... well we did, and we won it quite handily, with huge plays in all three phases of the game.

Admittedly, I am surprised by how bad Arizona was. It may be a long while before we see worse QB play from an opponent. They appeared to have no playmakers whatsoever. Nevertheless, I expected CU to find a way to lose this game. We felt like the better team for the entire game, but still struggled to find success in the first half. It felt like just a matter of time before Arizona got momentum and won the game by like 14-6 or something.

But that didn't happen. That goal line stand by the d was unexpected and awesome, and after that, plays were made, and breathing room was given to the offense. Lewis stepped up and had a pretty fantastic game. More than anything else, I'm really, really happy for him.

This is not the turning of a corner. It is not a huge victory. But it absolutely is something positive to build from. We have been so deflated since the near-miss at a breakthrough against a&m. We joke and make fun of the coaching staff talking about how young the team is, but...how can a win like this not be a huge thing for a young team? We should be happy about this win. A different narrative for this team has become possible through it. It's again possible to think of this team as one that gives this program something to build from.

This season doesn't have to be a historically bad dumpster fire. If we go back to looking as listless and hopeless, then I'm all aboard the fire Dorrell train. But it's in our best interest for this to start working out. And if it's going to work out, a win like this needed to happen. And it did.

Alot more likely teams are keying on the run because we can barely complete forward passes.
Pretty accurate on this. No reason for them not to have 8 in the box and blitz 2-4 LBs every play.

Last edited:
These are 300 LB young men who have been years in a college strength program. Heck, our center is in his 6th year and has been putting up competitive power lifter numbers since he got here.

It's a coaching issue. We also have talent issues, but that's a coaching issue too when it's your job to recruit & to find transfers where you have holes.
Ok, that does sound like coaching. But, I guess my point is that if we cannot pick up a single yard when we need it, how do we expect the offense as a whole to prosper. Sounds like we should start with sacking the OL coach.

I don't quite get all the negativity. A game like yesterday was the first (very small) step needed to turn what has felt like a total disaster of a season in to something positive, and I think it's ridiculous to balk at that idea. Dating back to the season opener, many people here have said we wouldn't win another game all year... well we did, and we won it quite handily, with huge plays in all three phases of the game.

Admittedly, I am surprised by how bad Arizona was. It may be a long while before we see worse QB play from an opponent. They appeared to have no playmakers whatsoever. Nevertheless, I expected CU to find a way to lose this game. We felt like the better team for the entire game, but still struggled to find success in the first half. It felt like just a matter of time before Arizona got momentum and won the game by like 14-6 or something.

But that didn't happen. That goal line stand by the d was unexpected and awesome, and after that, plays were made, and breathing room was given to the offense. Lewis stepped up and had a pretty fantastic game. More than anything else, I'm really, really happy for him.

This is not the turning of a corner. It is not a huge victory. But it absolutely is something positive to build from. We have been so deflated since the near-miss at a breakthrough against a&m. We joke and make fun of the coaching staff talking about how young the team is, but...how can a win like this not be a huge thing for a young team? We should be happy about this win. A different narrative for this team has become possible through it. It's again possible to think of this team as one that gives this program something to build from.

This season doesn't have to be a historically bad dumpster fire. If we go back to looking as listless and hopeless, then I'm all aboard the fire Dorrell train. But it's in our best interest for this to start working out. And if it's going to work out, a win like this needed to happen. And it did.
Pretty much where I am at. Just enjoying the win.

The systemic issues with CU FB are still there. The OL is still a joke of a sham of a travesty. The D and ST held up their end and it propelled CU to victory.

CU did what a good FB team should do to a lesser opponent...smash them.

B Lewis showed what he is capable of, hopefully it is a confidence booster. I really think he is a good QB.

Yes, Arizona is historically bad, but that is their problem.

Let's see what they can do against Cal. Cal is fundamentally sound team, and better than AZ by a longshot. That isn't saying much, all I can say is GO BUFFS.

Ergo Adam's comment in the postgame analysis he and Howell did Saturday. This is a great opportunity to get things done-like putting Lewis in a better position to have success, because we're coming off of a blowout win. Can very easily lose whatever momentum we have coming off of this week if we go to Berkeley and lay an egg.

This is a really winnable game-Cal is more talented than Arizona (which isn't saying much). Wilcox is (as many of us already think) one of the most underrated coaches in the sport-he's just at one of the toughest schools in the country to win consistently because of their academics.

Last edited:
Back