What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official ****braska Hate Thread

Maybe. But none the less what the coach is doing is a gamble. We'll all get to see how it works out soon enough.
gam·ble
verb
take risky action in the hope of a desired result.

There is no risk to making wholesale changes within a program that went 1-11 last year. Going 2-10 would literally be an improvement, so unless you believe CU has a chance to go 0-12 this season, there is literally no risk, and therefore no gamble.

Maybe. But none the less what the coach is doing is a gamble. We'll all get to see how it works out soon enough.

Again, you haven't explained WHY it's a gamble. People repeat this ad nauseam and I'm not sure I understand the logic. I suppose you could make the argument it disrupts roster continuity, but why on earth would you want continuity with that roster in the first place? There is no downside to flipping the roster, none. I'm convined people on reddit and social media who think this way haven't watched a down of CU football in years

Don’t forget, this “gamble” Also placed CU players on the All Conference life for the first time in who knows his long.

An n of 2 to determine the best method to rebuild a football program.

Got it.

Guess statistics was a Ph.D. level class at kNowledge U.
There are no other variables in this situation so I'm not sure why you're concerned...

Quick attempt to answer the question for BS, as he's obviously so busy that he hasn't had time to log back into his part time job of trolling CU fans.

It's a gamble to wholesale change 90% of the makeup of a team, because so many newcomers could be difficult to pull together and form a sound culture, and avoid the formation of cliques etc.

That of course ignores that the team had poor culture, work ethics and attitudes and had plenty of cliques and players who weren't sure if they were going to buy in.
It ignores that there's no place to go but up.

There's absolutely no historical comparison for doing this this large of a revamp, so gauging it's risk is sort of new ground.
There's absolutely no historical comparison for a coach who pulls people together like Coach Prime. A great motivator of men.

TLDR version:
Rhule couldn't pull it off, period. Frost and Pelini were the opposite personalities, good at putting people off.

Only a few CFB head coaches probably could attempt it. Prime is one of them. Bill McCartney was one of the others.
Magic Johnson could do this perhaps. Nick Saban could do it and if he left Alabama, he'd do it in a heartbeat.

This is not happening in Lincoln Nebraska ever. So why not rip it?

Quick attempt to answer the question for BS, as he's obviously so busy that he hasn't had time to log back into his part time job of trolling CU fans.

It's a gamble to wholesale change 90% of the makeup of a team, because so many newcomers could be difficult to pull together and form a sound culture, and avoid the formation of cliques etc.

That of course ignores that the team had poor culture, work ethics and attitudes and had plenty of cliques and players who weren't sure if they were going to buy in.
It ignores that there's no place to go but up.

There's absolutely no historical comparison for doing this this large of a revamp, so gauging it's risk is sort of new ground.
There's absolutely no historical comparison for a coach who pulls people together like Coach Prime. A great motivator of men.

TLDR version:
Rhule couldn't pull it off, period. Frost and Pelini were the opposite personalities, good at putting people off.

Only a few CFB head coaches probably could attempt it. Prime is one of them. Bill McCartney was one of the others.
Magic Johnson could do this perhaps. Nick Saban could do it and if he left Alabama, he'd do it in a heartbeat.

This is not happening in Lincoln Nebraska ever. So why not rip it?
Disagree that there's no historical comparison. I read a dope ass article about Johnny Majors doing something similar when he took over at Pitt in 73. Took over a 1 win team, surprised by going to a bowl, won a natty in year 3. had 90 new scholarship players in year 1

Expansion Football and Hockey says that a new team and new culture is sometimes more productive than a poorly run franchise

Carolina Panthers

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 9.15.45 PM.png

Jacksonville Jaguars

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 9.16.18 PM.png

Seattle Kracken

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 9.17.52 PM.png

Vegas Golden Knights

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 9.17.21 PM.png

Right people building the right culture can succeed

Last edited:
Expansion Football and Hockey says that a new team and new culture is sometimes more productive than a poorly run franchise

Carolina Panthers

View attachment 62430

Jacksonville Jaguars

View attachment 62431

Vegas Golden Knights

View attachment 62433

Seattle Kracken

View attachment 62432

Right people building the right culture can succeed
That's actually an interesting comparison.

Is the closest analog to what is happening at CU an expansion franchise that managed a really successful expansion draft?

That's actually an interesting comparison.

Is the closest analog to what is happening at CU an expansion franchise that managed a really successful expansion draft?
Yes, only thing I could think of that compares
Total reboot
Allows a coach and staff to fully set the tone
Expansion draft is the Transfer Portal
Free Agents, etc...

I think hiring a coach into an existing team is at minimum a 3 year process and that is if people buy in

Yes, only thing I could think of that compares
Total reboot
Allows a coach and staff to fully set the tone
Expansion draft is the Transfer Portal
Free Agents, etc...

I think hiring a coach into an existing team is at minimum a 3 year process and that is if people buy in
On the topic of total reboots, how quickly you can upgrade, and how much better you can come back... I think of UAB taking 2 years off and coming back better than they have ever been.

I would rather start from scratch, IF, you can do what Prime did and essentially hang out your sign and say come on over.

I like how CU will be beat up after TCU, but Nebraskas first game against Minnesota will just be a litmus test and a chance for them to “work out the kinks”.
Fleck is going to be running up and down the sideline that game. Hopefully MN gasses the hell out of them, but fuskers always seem to keep it close until the meltdown begins. I hope it’s extra Chernobyly!

The gamble is whether or not the huge reliance on the portal and the purge of a large number of players with an untested coach at this level will work out. Then there is the handicap due to CP's health issues this spring and summer. That alone is at least going to cause some concern and affect the odds. Hope it works out for the best.

It is a gamble. We won one game and had the least exciting coach in all of CFB. The risk is warranted.

There is a concern by me that they can come together and be a unified cohesive organized squad on both sides of the ball. But make no mistake the talent upgrade is there. Lots of players see Sanders and want to play for a black coach that looks like them and talks like them. They see a guy that has flair that stands apart from a stogy white guy. Thats a value thats hard to mistake and shouldnt be ignored in recruiting. The portal is a brave new world thats about to do to football what its already done to basketball. Sanders is exploiting that and it will make it harder for Saban and a lot of coaches used to being 5 deep everywhere.

Sanders in unproven at this level. But he did bring some good assistants and it appears he lets them do their job. He does know what its about to be an athlete, play as an athlete. Go out and get a bunch of difference makers — not contributors, difference makers — and put as many of them on the field as you can. Hes not gonna run a power run offense. Its gonna be a lot of throwing and up tempo.

My belief is that winning 6 games and making a bowl will be thrilling and wildly approved by the faithful. More that that and wow. Recruiting likely builds for year two. Repeating a one win season after all these kids came in and there will be upsetness.

His health is definitely a concern. I have a feeling his run with us is gonna be about 5 years or less. But it will be exciting.

It is a gamble. We won one game and had the least exciting coach in all of CFB. The risk is warranted.

There is a concern by me that they can come together and be a unified cohesive organized squad on both sides of the ball. But make no mistake the talent upgrade is there. Lots of players see Sanders and want to play for a black coach that looks like them and talks like them. They see a guy that has flair that stands apart from a stogy white guy. Thats a value thats hard to mistake and shouldnt be ignored in recruiting. The portal is a brave new world thats about to do to football what its already done to basketball. Sanders is exploiting that and it will make it harder for Saban and a lot of coaches used to being 5 deep everywhere.

Sanders in unproven at this level. But he did bring some good assistants and it appears he lets them do their job. He does know what its about to be an athlete, play as an athlete. Go out and get a bunch of difference makers — not contributors, difference makers — and put as many of them on the field as you can. Hes not gonna run a power run offense. Its gonna be a lot of throwing and up tempo.

My belief is that winning 6 games and making a bowl will be thrilling and wildly approved by the faithful. More that that and wow. Recruiting likely builds for year two. Repeating a one win season after all these kids came in and there will be upsetness.

His health is definitely a concern. I have a feeling his run with us is gonna be about 5 years or less. But it will be exciting.
Even this isn't a major gamble.

Was last years squad a unified cohesive organized squad on both sides of the ball?

It never looked like it right from the start of the season. Kardboard was not a motivator or a unifier, the players knew that they were terrible and gave less than full attention and effort.

Coach Sanders is Black and makes no effort to pretend like he isn't but I don't think that his color matters as much to the players, Black or white, as his energy, his character, his understanding of what needs to be done and his drive to do it.

We laughed about the stand up sit down, team chants, no hats, stuff at the opening meeting but like everything that Coach Prime does it had a reason and a purpose. It was part of establishing from day one that this is a team and we do things certain ways for certain reasons.

In the end almost the entire team from last year transferred out. There were a lot more of them that could have stayed than did but staying meant not only accepting but buying into 100% the idea that the past is gone and this is a new team. From a football standpoint the guys who stayed aren't any different than somebody who transfers in from across the country.

Back