What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official ****braska Hate Thread

Wait, so there is a political purity test that you have to pass now to truly hate the Cobgobblers? And they say that 2020 was the worst year in recent memory...

PS: you would be shocked at what gentrification has done to the area around that campus. It's a much different place than it was even 10 years ago.

I remember seeing the new ATF HQ being built near the NoMa-Gallaudet Metro station. A brand new government agency building and a new Metro station....the area surrounding that station and the school were going to change no questions asked. I did see some of the plans and early signs of change before I graduated. It has been more than a decade since I last touched that area...perhaps it's safer to the school from the station these days.

People there might have been more like me when it comes to not only the language barrier & cultural norms but like this forum, I still stuck out like a sore thumb when it came to politics just like here. That's what you get when you grow up in rural Colorado and meet those city folks.

The greatest thing though about my time there was that I do not recall seeing one Husker t-shirt or cap on that campus while I was there. Maybe having the bison as a mascot had something to do with that or it was me wearing my CU football jersey on campus that kept them away especially after 62-36. It was truly a nightmare for those Husker fans afar!

I think your raise some pretty good points here, although I disagree pretty strongly with the overall thrust of your post. I think you are overlooking some bigger picture details with anecdotal counter-examples.

Buffaholic may be going a bit overboard when he says that Trumpism spells the end of ****braska. There will always be athletes of all races and backgrounds wanting to play, and there will be plenty of black recruits who are willing to overlook or not even consider Nub politics in their decision, because they see opportunity there, or they are just sort of indifferent to political issues, and totally zeroed in on sports or some aspect of their personal lives. But, every individual counts on a football team; bad teams can be made great with just a few key players finding synergy. In a time when people are so divided on politics, and often compelled to bring their political ideologies to the fore, do you really think "our state is known for supporting the racist party!" is not going to come back to hurt them in some way? It SHOULD come back to hurt them, and I think it probably will.

Yes, there are racist, Trump supporting CU fans; I know several, and they bleed black and gold and love Boulder... I don't want to be friends with these people, but I don't think they should be shunned or ostracized from the fanbase. I think it's pretty safe to say that they compose a minority of the fanbase (note-- I'm not including "conservatives" with this group, as Trumpism represents a break with traditional conservatism) and most of them are probably from more rural parts of the state. Whereas, well... you can see how ****braskans voted, and put two and two together. You can find plenty of exceptions to this breakdown for both schools, and even if you couldn't, it's tacitly wrong to imagine a rock solid correlation between political affiliation/fan support.

That being said... I think you're being naïve if you think that there isn't a political dimension to the rivalry/hatred between these two fanbases. How often do we rip on ****er fans for being fat, pasty, redneck simpletons? We are having this discussion on page 358 of a thread that's full of people dunking on them for being incestuous morons who are stuck in the past. The things that we say about them are very much in line that those who are critical of Trump supporters say when they're mocking Trump supporters. Now, what do they say about CU fans? They talk about us as hippie, tree hugging fruitcakes. We're deviant, degenerate freaks and lazy stoners. It's the same type of **** they say about those on the political left. The cultural differences between Boulder and Lincoln, between Colorado and ****braska, are microcosms of the ever-deepening political divide of the United States. It says something that, when both schools broke away from the Big 12, CU talked a lot about the Pac 12 being a better "cultural fit." Ironically, NU is a better cultural fit with the Big 12, and I think a lot of their fanbase would like to go back.

You might say that I'm thinking about this too in depth, that I just need to lighten up and enjoy sports as sports, because looking at it this way might not be "useful." You could be right about that, but I don't think there's much sense in denying that there is a sharp political difference between the generalized fanbases/states, and the suggestion that a significant number of black/minority athletes may not want to play in a place where they sense political hostility toward their race is far from a huge stretch. Not to mention, the NFL and professional sports have become increasingly politicized. That's the nature of putting a divisive figure like Trump in power; all that deep political stuff is going to come out in people. Where we once were able to play out those cultural differences/battles in the heated, hate-fueled, but ultimately harmless context of a football rivalry, they now seem to have a larger relevance to our lives and very wellbeing. I have one good ****braska friend who, after our game in 2019, admitted something that I never expected: he HATES cu. He hates the politics, Boulder, his perception of the culture, all of it, and for that reason, he can't stand losing to the football team. Again, that's anecdotal evidence, which I implied you shouldn't use. But, since going to school in Boulder, I've lived in a number of very conservative areas, and I also grew up in a very conservative place. These people HATE Boulder. They see it as degenerate, wrong, antithetical to American values. That hostility is real, and it certainly gets channeled into sports.

It's certainly dicey to use politics to justify hating a football team/fanbase... but the sense of cultural divide people feel right now would exist with or without a football team. Nevertheless, the parallels between MAGA and the Scott Frost era at ****braska are too glaring not to notice. Nubs have turned Frost into a cult figure; many still refuse to acknowledge his flaws. He's their guy! and he is going to be THE ONLY ONE who can MAKE ****braska GREAT AGAIN. Their political energy has synced up with the football team and it's ****ing nutty. This mobilization is ultimately based on myth, and suicidal in nature. The contract extension Frost received in the middle of 2019? They're doubling down rather than holding accountable.

Again, I feel like I just went totally overboard with analysis. I agree we must love our neighbors and our enemies. But I can see what our neighbor/enemy is doing, and what they are motivated by... and it's not good. In our current era of social media, there will be plenty of recruits who see it, too.

As everybody on here should acknowledge, the golden era of Fusker football ended with 62-36. That day was YEARS before Trump got elected. They're in a similar situation to the ours-they missed badly with Callahan, Pelini won there but they fired him anyway, the Mike Riley era was a debacle, and they've likely missed on Frost because of the sheer amount of talent he's ran out of that program-Greg Bell, Tristan Gebbia........I could go on, but you get the picture. Bigger thing there is when you whiff on two consecutive hires like we did with Squawk and Embree or four in a row like they have-you need a Brent Brennan type who know he's getting 5-6 years (at least) to come in and clean up the mess.

I remember seeing the new ATF HQ being built near the NoMa-Gallaudet Metro station. A brand new government agency building and a new Metro station....the area surrounding that station and the school were going to change no questions asked. I did see some of the plans and early signs of change before I graduated. It has been more than a decade since I last touched that area...perhaps it's safer to the school from the station these days.

People there might have been more like me when it comes to not only the language barrier & cultural norms but like this forum, I still stuck out like a sore thumb when it came to politics just like here. That's what you get when you grow up in rural Colorado and meet those city folks.

The greatest thing though about my time there was that I do not recall seeing one ****er t-shirt or cap on that campus while I was there. Maybe having the bison as a mascot had something to do with that or it was me wearing my CU football jersey on campus that kept them away especially after 62-36. It was truly a nightmare for those ****er fans afar!
I have a friend who runs a very nice boutique wine shop a couple blocks from that metro station.

Not a liquor store.

Not a bodego with a good selection of beer and wine.

A straight up specialty boutique wine shop.

The transformation of that neighborhood is mind boggling.

On that same note, if you or I had bought a ridiculously cheap row house in the trinidad neighborhood when you were in undergrad, we'd be really, really happy with that purchase right about now. (for those of you not familiar: when jalapeno was in undergrad, the police were literally locking down that neighborhood, you couldn't enter unless you were a resident or allowed your car to be searched for drugs/weapons, and home values reflected that - today those row houses are drawing 7 figures.)

The two football players generally viewed as the best Class of 2022 prospects in Nebraska posted their top five schools on social media at the same moment Saturday afternoon.
The in-state Huskers were conspicuously absent from both lists.
Omaha Central offensive lineman Deshawn Woods and Omaha Burke outside linebacker Devon Jackson each revealed their leading contenders — and with some southern similarities. Each included Texas A&M, Arizona State and Miami. Woods also named Missouri and Florida while Jackson had Notre Dame and Oklahoma.

Doubling down on the good ol’ days when it obviously does not resonate with current players/prospects seems like a good idea.
Yeah the first sentence of “You didn’t want to mess with him” tells you all you need to know. Trying to bring that mouth breathing, tough guy mentality to a “leadership”/“mentor” position is a total Scott Frost move. I’m sure it’s going to make all the difference.

I think your raise some pretty good points here, although I disagree pretty strongly with the overall thrust of your post. I think you are overlooking some bigger picture details with anecdotal counter-examples.

Buffaholic may be going a bit overboard when he says that Trumpism spells the end of ****braska. There will always be athletes of all races and backgrounds wanting to play, and there will be plenty of black recruits who are willing to overlook or not even consider Nub politics in their decision, because they see opportunity there, or they are just sort of indifferent to political issues, and totally zeroed in on sports or some aspect of their personal lives. But, every individual counts on a football team; bad teams can be made great with just a few key players finding synergy. In a time when people are so divided on politics, and often compelled to bring their political ideologies to the fore, do you really think "our state is known for supporting the racist party!" is not going to come back to hurt them in some way? It SHOULD come back to hurt them, and I think it probably will.

Yes, there are racist, Trump supporting CU fans; I know several, and they bleed black and gold and love Boulder... I don't want to be friends with these people, but I don't think they should be shunned or ostracized from the fanbase. I think it's pretty safe to say that they compose a minority of the fanbase (note-- I'm not including "conservatives" with this group, as Trumpism represents a break with traditional conservatism) and most of them are probably from more rural parts of the state. Whereas, well... you can see how ****braskans voted, and put two and two together. You can find plenty of exceptions to this breakdown for both schools, and even if you couldn't, it's tacitly wrong to imagine a rock solid correlation between political affiliation/fan support.

That being said... I think you're being naïve if you think that there isn't a political dimension to the rivalry/hatred between these two fanbases. How often do we rip on ****er fans for being fat, pasty, redneck simpletons? We are having this discussion on page 358 of a thread that's full of people dunking on them for being incestuous morons who are stuck in the past. The things that we say about them are very much in line that those who are critical of Trump supporters say when they're mocking Trump supporters. Now, what do they say about CU fans? They talk about us as hippie, tree hugging fruitcakes. We're deviant, degenerate freaks and lazy stoners. It's the same type of **** they say about those on the political left. The cultural differences between Boulder and Lincoln, between Colorado and ****braska, are microcosms of the ever-deepening political divide of the United States. It says something that, when both schools broke away from the Big 12, CU talked a lot about the Pac 12 being a better "cultural fit." Ironically, NU is a better cultural fit with the Big 12, and I think a lot of their fanbase would like to go back.

You might say that I'm thinking about this too in depth, that I just need to lighten up and enjoy sports as sports, because looking at it this way might not be "useful." You could be right about that, but I don't think there's much sense in denying that there is a sharp political difference between the generalized fanbases/states, and the suggestion that a significant number of black/minority athletes may not want to play in a place where they sense political hostility toward their race is far from a huge stretch. Not to mention, the NFL and professional sports have become increasingly politicized. That's the nature of putting a divisive figure like Trump in power; all that deep political stuff is going to come out in people. Where we once were able to play out those cultural differences/battles in the heated, hate-fueled, but ultimately harmless context of a football rivalry, they now seem to have a larger relevance to our lives and very wellbeing. I have one good ****braska friend who, after our game in 2019, admitted something that I never expected: he HATES cu. He hates the politics, Boulder, his perception of the culture, all of it, and for that reason, he can't stand losing to the football team. Again, that's anecdotal evidence, which I implied you shouldn't use. But, since going to school in Boulder, I've lived in a number of very conservative areas, and I also grew up in a very conservative place. These people HATE Boulder. They see it as degenerate, wrong, antithetical to American values. That hostility is real, and it certainly gets channeled into sports.

It's certainly dicey to use politics to justify hating a football team/fanbase... but the sense of cultural divide people feel right now would exist with or without a football team. Nevertheless, the parallels between MAGA and the Scott Frost era at ****braska are too glaring not to notice. Nubs have turned Frost into a cult figure; many still refuse to acknowledge his flaws. He's their guy! and he is going to be THE ONLY ONE who can MAKE ****braska GREAT AGAIN. Their political energy has synced up with the football team and it's ****ing nutty. This mobilization is ultimately based on myth, and suicidal in nature. The contract extension Frost received in the middle of 2019? They're doubling down rather than holding accountable.

Again, I feel like I just went totally overboard with analysis. I agree we must love our neighbors and our enemies. But I can see what our neighbor/enemy is doing, and what they are motivated by... and it's not good. In our current era of social media, there will be plenty of recruits who see it, too.

Thoughtful post and you're a great typist.

Tldr?

Luke McCaffery to Louisville

He might have to battle Georgia Southern transfer Shai Werts for playing time and Werts was a four year starter as an option QB for the Eagles. Louisville does have a returning starter at QB and a backup with experience so that could be one QB competition to watch this spring & summer.

The nice thing early last decade was having Tad Boyle's competitive men's basketball teams while the football team wasn't competitive. No such luxury exists for Husker fans and I can't help but notice a grin on my face as I post this.

At least the ****ers can cheer for Jeriah Horne in the dance.
Dave Chappelle GIF

The nice thing early last decade was having Tad Boyle's competitive men's basketball teams while the football team wasn't competitive. No such luxury exists for ****er fans and I can't help but notice a grin on my face as I post this.
Not true. The bowling team has been invited to the prestigious, National Gutter-Done Ten Pin Shootout and Hog Call. There are no losers in that field!

Back