What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Buffs @ Oregon Game Thread

One thing I noticed last night on offense is we were getting some good traction running between the tackles. Johnson would then call two quick pass plays and we were 3 and out. I've noticed we did this in the Air Force and Arizona games as well. Teams are giving you plays, take them. You don't have enough talent to dictate what you are doing, at least not yet.

I also think there is an issue with how this coaching staff prepares its defense. The defense looks so completely lost at the beginning of every game. So. Lost. As the game went on, they actually started making some plays and got a feel. Obviously, the offense did them no favors and then they had no chance. This has happened in just about every game this year, so its a problem.

I still think this team can make a bowl game, based off the teams they are playing, but there is pretty much no room for error in the UCLA, USC, and WSU games.

One thing I noticed last night on offense is we were getting some good traction running between the tackles. Johnson would then call two quick pass plays and we were 3 and out. I've noticed we did this in the Air Force and Arizona games as well. Teams are giving you plays, take them. You don't have enough talent to dictate what you are doing, at least not yet.

I also think there is an issue with how this coaching staff prepares its defense. The defense looks so completely lost at the beginning of every game. So. Lost. As the game went on, they actually started making some plays and got a feel. Obviously, the offense did them no favors and then they had no chance. This has happened in just about every game this year, so its a problem.

I still think this team can make a bowl game, based off the teams they are playing, but there is pretty much no room for error in the UCLA, USC, and WSU games.
Stanford has to be considered the second most likely win after UCLA

Yeah, I’m wondering if Summers does the game plan...and sucks at it, then is good at adjusting. Maybe Tucker needs to step in on the game plan.

Why is this so hard for some of you? It has nothing to do with hitting Russell in the hands. He was scrambling for his life running to his left. He threw up a prayer to a player who was not open, even for a second. It was an ill advised pass that has defined Montez' career. CU was going to lose the game, but that play completely turned the game. That is perfect example of how a turnover is the absolute worst thing to happen in that situation, which is what happens when you scramble to your left, running for your life, throwing a complete prayer up in the air. You have one more play, at least give yourself a chance.
He did what every NFL QB does. He put it where his receiver could catch it and his receiver didn’t.

Obviously that’s the big question. If everything goes right with the rest of this class, that will be a decent start, but Tucker will have to take a long look in the mirror this offseason and decide if they can truly run this defense in year 2 or if they need to make changes. CU is 1 of 3 FBS teams to give up 30+ points in every game this season. As azbuff said, there are G5 programs who would have given Oregon a more competitive game.
I don’t see them going away from the Star/Money version of the 3-4. Time and again it has been shown to be the kind of D best suited to combat the speed/spread version of Os seen in this era.

Why would MM version of the 3-4 be better? Or a 4-3? Or a 3-3-5? With the current talent, each of those have massive holes.

Can’t remember the exact time but Oregon was 3rd and something inside our 10. A receiver shifted into the slot to our left. You could see the confusion with our defender, pointing and maybe yelling something. The receiver had a 5 yard cushion and on the snap just cut to his left across the middle wide open for a TD. So frustrating.

Yeah I thought the line played OK for the most part, but more penalties and missed blocks as the game went on had him scrambling for his life. Granted, Montez also did his same old routine of not stepping up and rolling out into more pressure.

As for the defense, I said during week one this scheme didn’t fit the personnel. They are asking guys to do things they simply can’t do. I know the scheme works, but they need to have a Star who can’t be a LB against the run and a legit cover S against the pass. They need CBs who can play zone coverage, but with a higher football IQ. They need ILBs who can flat out do everything, and they need individual DL/DE who can play their run responsibilities well AND get after the passer.

Edit: At one point Wells was covering a RB 20 yards downs the field??? WTF?

Steven's worst game of the year. 4 picks is inexcusable-even if you use the Madden rule and blame the INT right before the half on Brady Russell. Let me make a point about this staff-when you take over a program like they have, you've gotta adjust what you want to do to the talent you have. Offensively, I get trying to be more physical and run the ball......but we've got a Senior QB and one of the best WR groups in the country-and a defense that is consistently in a position where they're giving up 30-35 (if not more) because you're asking the talent you have to do things they can't do. Can't fall so hard in love with that given what we've got on this team right now Defensively-I can't say anything that @TSchekler and others haven't already said.....other than this-no effort whatsoever to put talent like Taylor and Landman (both of whom we know can play) in positions where they can have success.

I’m not sure Jesus Christ himself could scheme this defense. We have no pass rush, pretty terrible run stoppers, zero depth, corners who get beat depth and underneath and our safeties just aren’t there yet.
This team has potential but anyone expecting us to do well against a guy in Herbert who’s going to be a top 5 pick is just delusional.
For me, the bright spots are nobody got hurt and we have young players getting play time. Our team didn’t give up and just lay down either. Granted we got smacked but guys were still playing for MT

I don’t see them going away from the Star/Money version of the 3-4. Time and again it has been shown to be the kind of D best suited to combat the speed/spread version of Os seen in this era.

Why would MM version of the 3-4 be better? Or a 4-3? Or a 3-3-5? With the current talent, each of those have massive holes.
I’m not saying there wouldn’t be holes, but this defense just isn’t even all that competitive this year. One of only three FBS teams to allow 30+ points in every game. Taylor, Landman and Mustafa are the best players on the defense and all conference players from last season, yet they have regressed to the point where they are actual liabilities. I know their talent didn’t just drop off from last year, so it must be something else...

We gave up 30+ six times last year (USC, Washington State, the Oregon State debacle, Utah, Cal, Arizona). We've hit that number already this season, and we're only halfway through it.

One no-hoper left, and that's Utah. Washington is good, but it wouldn't shock me if we beat them-at home, its Montez's last game at Folsom (gotta think good Montez will show up that day). Stanford's also winnable. Oregon's a solid football team, and they're the class of the Pac 12-They're not a threat to make the CFP.....they're going to drop at least one more game.

The discrepancy in talent on that field last night was alarming to me. They were much better at every position. That doesn’t look like it is going to change anytime soon

Cristobal had a career coaching record of 27-47 before going to oregon. How does a guy like that 1. Get hired by a major P5 program? 2. Actually succeed there? I think it's pretty obvious that having a blank check from Nike is a tremendous asset(and the ability to pay players under the table) and I'd even venture to say that Hawkins or Embree in Cristobal's current position would also be ranked in the top 15. FHCMM would probably have that roster in the top 5

I love HCMT and what he brings to CU but it's going to be very tough to get recruiting on the level of the quacks

Cristobal had a career coaching record of 27-47 before going to oregon. How does a guy like that 1. Get hired by a major P5 program? 2. Actually succeed there? I think it's pretty obvious that having a blank check from Nike is a tremendous asset(and the ability to pay players under the table) and I'd even venture to say that Hawkins or Embree in Cristobal's current position would also be ranked in the top 15. FHCMM would probably have that roster in the top 5

I love HCMT and what he brings to CU but it's going to be very tough to get recruiting on the level of the quacks
Cristobal can seriously recruit and the $$ up there has allowed them to go after the best assistants possible, who also seriously recruit.

Because a ball hitting a player in his hands twice is evidence that he wasn't well covered and that it couldn't be accurately described as "throwing up a prayer"
I just watched it 6 times. He was bailing on the play, running to his left, with a defender planting him into the ground at the end. The announcer even says, "jump ball".

There was a defenders hand right there in front of Russell with the pass. Montez' pass hit the defenders hand (go watch it). The odds were completely not in our favor. The rebound could have been caught, I'll give you that. To think that was a good play by the QB is dumbfounding and no coach would agree with you. It was a bad play by Montez plain and simple. You are wrong. Very wrong

Last edited:
Steven's worst game of the year. 4 picks is inexcusable-even if you use the Madden rule and blame the INT right before the half on Brady Russell. Let me make a point about this staff-when you take over a program like they have, you've gotta adjust what you want to do to the talent you have. Offensively, I get trying to be more physical and run the ball......but we've got a Senior QB and one of the best WR groups in the country-and a defense that is consistently in a position where they're giving up 30-35 (if not more) because you're asking the talent you have to do things they can't do. Can't fall so hard in love with that given what we've got on this team right now Defensively-I can't say anything that @TSchekler and others haven't already said.....other than this-no effort whatsoever to put talent like Taylor and Landman (both of whom we know can play) in positions where they can have success.
Tell us these so called positions you want to put Taylor and Landman in where they will be more productive than last night. With respect - but honestly - I think this is a lazy argument.

Tell us these so called positions you want to put Taylor and Landman in where they will be more productive than last night. With respect - but honestly - I think this is a lazy argument.

Okay start with this-why not use Taylor to get after the QB more? Did we pressure Herbert at all last night?

I don’t have the specific X’s and O’s for you here, but do you not agree that both of those players have regressed? They are liabilities in coverage, and that seems to be half of their job responsibility in this defense.

One no-hoper left, and that's Utah. Washington is good, but it wouldn't shock me if we beat them-at home, its Montez's last game at Folsom (gotta think good Montez will show up that day). Stanford's also winnable. Oregon's a solid football team, and they're the class of the Pac 12-They're not a threat to make the CFP.....they're going to drop at least one more game.
He's shown up so well in past, season ending, bowl potential games, why wouldn't he?

I’m not saying there wouldn’t be holes, but this defense just isn’t even all that competitive this year. One of only three FBS teams to allow 30+ points in every game. Taylor, Landman and Mustafa are the best players on the defense and all conference players from last season, yet they have regressed to the point where they are actual liabilities. I know their talent didn’t just drop off from last year, so it must be something else...
I agree with Landman and Taylor, but Mustafa has been one of the few bright spots on this team when he’s been healthy.

:ROFLMAO:

Okay start with this-why not use Taylor to get after the QB more? Did we pressure Herbert at all last night?
Yes. Let’s start with that. I don’t see Taylor beating Pernell nor Throck on the edge. Assuming that is the the Money D, who then plays Star and slot CB? Assuming it’s in the Star, that puts Perry at Money (yikes, that was ugly last night) , it sits Wells (hmmmm) and exposes a smaller Taylor against their OTs or very large TEs where he has repeatedly shown propensity this year (and last) to lose containment as well being too small to play power run.

Look. I love Taylor. I appreciate your suggestions. I just think it creates an untenable domino effect that is worse than playing him in Star/Money given current personnel.

I don’t have the specific X’s and O’s for you here, but do you not agree that both of those players have regressed? They are liabilities in coverage, and that seems to be half of their job responsibility in this defense.

Yes. Taylor is not right fur Star (said that after open practice) Landman is best playing downhill (14 tackles last night). There is a reason he went out on 3rd down last year. Would you substitute JVD, Jones or Allen for Landman on 2/9 or 3/6?

Back