What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Buffs @ Oregon Game Thread

Yes. Taylor is not right fur Star (said that after open practice) Landman is best playing downhill (14 tackles last night). There is a reason he went out on 3rd down last year. Would you substitute JVD, Jones or Allen for Landman on 2/9 or 3/6?
Obviously not JVD, but yes, I would like to see the speed and athleticism of Allen on the field more, but maybe he’s swimming? Allen and Jones on the field at the same time seems like the best combination of speed and athleticism at ILB, but again, maybe there’s mental limitations for Allen.

Cristobal can seriously recruit and the $$ up there has allowed them to go after the best assistants possible, who also seriously recruit.
Having elite assistants is THE key to big success at this level. There’s a reason why Coach Tucker has worked for some of the reason greats of college football coaching. The big question for this program is if Rick George can get the money together that’s necessary to hire awesome assistants.

Having elite assistants is THE key to big success at this level. There’s a reason why Coach Tucker has worked for some of the reason greats of college football coaching. The big question for this program is if Rick George can get the money together that’s necessary to hire awesome assistants.

Can you imagine the likes of Tucker and Cristobal as position coaches?

Q: What was the thought in keeping Steven Montez in the game in the fourth quarter?

“We were trying to get something going and trying to have some positive plays. Guys were still playing hard and fighting to move the ball. We had some opportunities. We were going for it on fourth down trying to score and then we pulled (Montez) at the end to get Tyler (Lytle) some work. I don’t think that’s unusual. They’re still playing hard over there. We’re playing hard and trying to get some work down. (Montez) was into it and competing, trying to make something happen. We’re going to learn from it and move on.”

So basically if Montez doesn't just give up and start pouting or something he isn't coming out of games.

Fair enough, seems to me those saying Lytle and Stenstrom aren't factors for next year are right. When do we start hearing about grad transfer QB targets?

So basically if Montez doesn't just give up and start pouting or something he isn't coming out of games.

Fair enough, seems to me those saying Lytle and Stenstrom aren't factors for next year are right. When do we start hearing about grad transfer QB targets?
Hopefully after the New Year, but maybe not until Spring.

That game was painful to watch. Once the mental mistakes, frustrations, and bad Montez started flashing, I knew the collapse was imminent. I’m just glad the swoosh didn’t drop more on the Buffs. It was a poetic telling of the night when Stefanou doinked a chip shot off of the upright...we just cannot have nice things since the 2016 Pac12 Championship game!

The amount of athletes on the Nike payr....The Ducks field game in/out is crazy, and the Buffs were just out played, period.

I’m glad that Landman got so many tackles, but hell, he was the guy that BLEW **** up, forced three and outs...also, wasn’t he the INT leader on the Buffs last year? So, he can cover! This is pure difference in scheme. Davion Taylor, being fast as he is should be able to stick on a receiver, but I was a (small) DE/lineman and envious of any kind of sub 5 second 40 time type speed...so I’m not too savvy on secondary techniques.

QB2 is up for grabs still, this year, which makes me think Lewis OR Grad Transfer will be QB1 next year.

coaching shake up may bring level up P5 assistant talent to coordinating next year..

oh, and Rick George tells Nike to go **** themselves and signs with Adidas *haha*

Not reading through the entire thread, but here are my observations:

1. Montez remains mediocre to below average
2. The OL has A LOT of work to do in pass pro against good teams
3. The defensive issues are absolutely schematic as much as personnel.

To add color to #3... They have managed to make Davion Taylor a very JAGy type of player by putting him in the Star role that requires a lot of coverage. He can’t cover to save his life.

They managed to turn an all conference ILB (Landman) into an overall JAG as well by forcing him into coverage as much as they have.

Absolutely zero pass rush. Partly personnel, mostly scheme.

Constant zone coverage with guys who have zero feel for zone coverage. Guys look completely lost on every play. Lining up wrong, not having enough guys to cover the numbers to their side, playing 7-10 yards off on short yardage situations, and giving up wide open catches under the zone.

As I said from week one, this staff is forcing a square peg into a round hole with their scheme and the personnel. They simply don’t have the dudes to run this system and it shows in a big way.

The good news is that I believe they are forcing this defense in year one because they are playing the long game here and making sure everyone is immersed in it for when they finally get the guys they need to execute it.

Oh, and did I mention that Montez was horrible, yet still played into the 4th quarter, even though they were down by 5 TDs? This staff doesn’t seem anymore inclined to play backup QBs than the last.

Good point about the staff being intent on going with a certain scheme despite the personnel. I'd agree that the staff is playing the long game by going with certain schemes now instead of taking some potential small short term gains. MT and the staff knows what they're doing. Yes I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt but MT didn't get to be a coordinator at various big-time programs by accident.

Watched the game this morning for first time.

Montez just perplexes me? Time for new direction, specifically Dual Threat!

Defense confuses me? What the furk does the Star do? Taylor is best pass rusher we have.

That was not an interception in the endzone, stupid throw, but bad call.

No room for injuries or turnovers, had both and thus got smoked.

The Air Force and Arizona losses will be our undoing on a bowl game! Makes me frustrated. Montez lost the AF game, defense lost the AZ game.

Tucker will see what his boys can do up in Pullman, just want to see effort like the previous games. Cannot lose effort.

Cristobal can seriously recruit and the $$ up there has allowed them to go after the best assistants possible, who also seriously recruit.
Oregon has been cheap with assistants for a long time so even though they had the money they only recently started using it. It sure does help though because Cristobal seems to be a lot like Helfrich where he is an okay game manager, but Helfrich had the leftover Kelly assistants and it bit him in the ass hard. To bad Larry Scott is an idiot so most of the Pac-12 probably doesn't have the money currently to upgrade their assistant coaches.

Back