What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CFB Playoff discussion thread

Not OU, but it wouldn't bother me if Utah made it in.
Barring unusual circumstances conference champions should get the benefit of the doubt. If Utah beats Oregon they have earned their way in.

Should Utah fall then Oklahoma would be a logical choice.

You can subjectively make an argument that other non-conference champs are better but they didn't win their conference, they need to be special in those circumstances.

if utah wins and doesn't get in, it will be a travesty.

but, i do think they have to win.
Really? OU has a tougher SOS. Utah has-been dominating, but they've played a bunch of losing teams and lost to the one good team they've faced.

OU, on the other hand, has been living closer to the edge the last few weeks.

I can easily see completely fine arguments either way. I wouldn't call it a travesty if either gets left out.

And ya, I mean, no **** they have to win.

Last edited:
Really? OU has a tougher SOS. Utah has-been dominating, but they've played a bunch of losing teams and lost to the one gold team they've faced.

I can easily see completely fine arguments either way. I wouldn't call it a travesty if either gets left out.

i do not agree. utah's only loss is to a very talented usc team. ou lost to ****ing kjuco state. also, ou gets too much credit for beating a ****ty texas team and will get more credit than they deserve if they put bailer down. common opponent ucla (the definition of a dumpster fire this year) hung in there with ou and got absolutely curb stomped by utah. and honestly, in that second tier, do you think bailer could stay within 14 pts of oregon? no ****ing way. so, assuming both ou and uu win their championship games, utah's win will be more impressive. by a wide margin. and, the p12 was unfairly downgraded for oregon's early loss to auburn who looked pretty ****ing good by the end of the season.

this shouldn't even be close. if it is, it is basically saying that the only way a p12 champion gets in is if they are undefeated. that's bull****. the conference is far tougher top to bottom than the dog **** b12. conference games should matter more than that in the equation.

and, last, momentum matters. ou is not looking like it is peaking. uu has destroyed everything in their path the last few weeks and are peaking at the right time.

the only knock against uu is the ooc slate was weak sauce. but, momentum and wins against conference teams should matter more.

oh, and while i am ranting, ****ing alabama (who everyone holds up as the gold standard) played DOG **** ooc teams with the benefit of one of them being a glorified scrimmage in NOVEMBER while real teams are beating the **** out of each other.

i dissent.

i do not agree. utah's only loss is to a very talented usc team. ou lost to ****ing kjuco state. also, ou gets too much credit for beating a ****ty texas team and will get more credit than they deserve if they put bailer down. common opponent ucla (the definition of a dumpster fire this year) hung in there with ou and got absolutely curb stomped by utah. and honestly, in that second tier, do you think bailer could stay within 14 pts of oregon? no ****ing way. so, assuming both ou and uu win their championship games, utah's win will be more impressive. by a wide margin. and, the p12 was unfairly downgraded for oregon's early loss to auburn who looked pretty ****ing good by the end of the season.

this shouldn't even be close. if it is, it is basically saying that the only way a p12 champion gets in is if they are undefeated. that's bull****. the conference is far tougher top to bottom than the dog **** b12. conference games should matter more than that in the equation.

and, last, momentum matters. ou is not looking like it is peaking. uu has destroyed everything in their path the last few weeks and are peaking at the right time.

the only knock against uu is the ooc slate was weak sauce. but, momentum and wins against conference teams should matter more.

oh, and while i am ranting, ****ing alabama (who everyone holds up as the gold standard) played DOG **** ooc teams with the benefit of one of them being a glorified scrimmage in NOVEMBER while real teams are beating the **** out of each other.

i dissent.
USC is 8-4. KSU is 8-4. Both have beaten top ten teams. Both have lost to garbage. I don't see a difference in that "quality loss argument."

OU has beaten two ranked teams, both on the road, and also beat a team that was ranked just last weak. Utah had beaten no ranked teams. What's Utah's best win? Not much, IMO.

OU has beaten two ranked teams, both on the road, and also beat a team that was ranked just last weak. Utah had beaten no ranked teams. What's Utah's best win? Not much, IMO.

utah beat asu when they were ranked.

but, yes, those that want to see the p12 fail are hanging their arguments against uu on their SOS. i strongly believe that top to bottom the p12 is a far more difficult conference than the b12.

but, yes, those that want to see the p12 fail are hanging their arguments against uu on their SOS. i strongly believe that top to bottom the p12 is a far more difficult conference than the b12.
I don't think anyone on the committee or elsewhere "wants to see the PAC fail." LOL "when ASU was ranked" though. You'll note I didn't credit Oklahoma for the Texas win.

I don't think anyone on the committee or elsewhere "wants to see the PAC fail." LOL "when ASU was ranked" though. You'll note I didn't credit Oklahoma for the Texas win.

you don't think there is bias in the voting? i wish the p12 weren't headed into this gunfight with utah on point, but that is where we are and we need them to not get screwed. the bottom of the b12 is far far worse (which allowed bailer's inflated record) than the bottom of the p12 and it isn't even close. oh, give me ****ing iowa state, kansas, and tech again like the old days and then mix in super-scary tcu and wvu. you'd have to really step on your own dick not to win at least 6 in that dog **** lineup.

i dissent.
You make some good points. Then lost me at “this shouldn’t be close”.

Really?

There are other advanced analytics arguments for OU.

you don't think there is bias in the voting? i wish the p12 weren't headed into this gunfight with utah on point, but that is where we are and we need them to not get screwed. the bottom of the b12 is far far worse (which allowed bailer's inflated record) than the bottom of the p12 and it isn't even close. oh, give me ****ing iowa state, kansas, and tech again like the old days and then mix in super-scary tcu and wvu. you'd have to really step on your own dick not to win at least 6 in that dog **** lineup.
I don’t think there is abject. bias. The process, a modified Delphi approach, with voting in groups minimizes bias, along with refusals.

OU beat a top 10 team named ****bailortrash, that just happens to be way, way, way, WAAAAY overrated.

It's a rematch and this time ****bailortrash isn't playing in the cozy, head-turning, crime-ignoring confines of Wacko tejass.

OU will probably win. If yootah plays a close game the land thieves will prolly jump them in the rankings.

You seem a little bent outta shape over Utah's fate. It's not like we're discussing CU. And I think you haven't watched ISU in a few years.

For the record I think the PAC is solid just about top to bottom. You're getting worked up like ya gotta convince me of something. I'm saying there are solid arguments for either Utah or OU, not that OU is an obvious answer.

OU and Utah are pretty similar teams overall. S&P+ shows they're pretty much on par with each other. They have pretty similar resumes. I suspect that in the end, the committee will go with the one that will draw more eyeballs. That's Oklahoma.

YEah that’s not a garbage team. They are average but it was still a road game at altitude.
BYU lost to a middling MAC team (Toledo) and a bad South Florida team before holding on against Liberty. They did beat Boise though. Jekyll and Hyde season for the Mormons.

You seem a little bent outta shape over Utah's fate. It's not like we're discussing CU. And I think you haven't watched ISU in a few years.

For the record I think the PAC is solid just about top to bottom. You're getting worked up like ya gotta convince me of something. I'm saying there are solid arguments for either Utah or OU, not that OU is an obvious answer.

not worked up... just carrying water for the p12. because it is good for us if utah doesn't get ****ed. we need more tv $$$, more exposure, and more respect as a conference. utah still doesn't scare me as a long term rival.

Really? OU has a tougher SOS. Utah has-been dominating, but they've played a bunch of losing teams and lost to the one gold team they've faced.

Here's how I'd stack up Utah and OU:
SOS: Maybe slight OU advantage.
Loss: Utah advantage. USC is ranked and KjSU isn't.
Resume: Slight OU lean here, but this is pretty even. Utah's got wins over 5 bowl eligible teams (Cal, BYU, Wazzu, UW, ASU) compared to 4 for OU. OU's beaten Iowa State (ranked now), OSU (they were ranked going into that game), and **** Baylor.
Game Control: This is where Utah destroys OU. OU has played with fire against ISU, Baylor, and TCU. Utah has whipped all but one team they've played (Washington) since their USC loss.

I'm hoping Utah takes care of business Friday and they get in because I think it'd be good for our league. I'm not going to be on here on Monday with a "Yewt got robbed!" take if Oklahoma goes in their place though.

Tale of different styles. If I'm remembering correctly what I heard on the airwaves:

Yootah was 3rd in scoring defense and 3rd in total defense.

Land thieves were 1st in total offense and 5th in scoring offense.

If they both win and Georgia loses, does the committee value O or D? Is game control (yootah) valued as much as stated? Or does the "brand" get the nod?

We'll know early next week.

I don't really feel bad for Utah if they get left out. How about not scheduling an OOC slate of BYU, Northern Illinois, and Idaho St. Not that Oklahoma's OOC was great, but at least UCLA is a P5 team that is decently good sometimes and Houston is usually a good G5 team.

Doesn't really matter anyway, Oklahoma/Utah will get steamrolled by LSU/Ohio St

Here's how I'd stack up Utah and OU:
SOS: Maybe slight OU advantage.
Loss: Utah advantage. USC is ranked and KjSU isn't.
Resume: Slight OU lean here, but this is pretty even. Utah's got wins over 5 bowl eligible teams (Cal, BYU, Wazzu, UW, ASU) compared to 4 for OU. OU's beaten Iowa State (ranked now), OSU (they were ranked going into that game), and **** Baylor.
Game Control: This is where Utah destroys OU. OU has played with fire against ISU, Baylor, and TCU. Utah has whipped all but one team they've played (Washington) since their USC loss.

I'm hoping Utah takes care of business Friday and they get in because I think it'd be good for our league. I'm not going to be on here on Monday with a "Yewt got robbed!" take if Oklahoma goes in their place though.
I think this is spot on. For the PAC's sake I'd rather Utah get in over OU, but if I'm judging the resumes (assuming both win the CCG), I think it's close enough I could see arguments for either getting the bid.

Back