What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CFB Playoff discussion thread

6 team playoff

5 P5 conference champs
1 at large

1st round is played week after conference championship games between 6/3 and 5/4 seeds at home of higher seed.

Seeding is based on following order:
1. Number of conference wins
2. If #1 is a tie, Number of P5 wins
3. If #2 is a tie, Strength of schedule
I don't know why you would give two teams a bye. It seems unnecessary and would automatically bring undue controversy. It's got to be four or eight and every team plays.

6 team playoff

5 P5 conference champs
1 at large

1st round is played week after conference championship games between 6/3 and 5/4 seeds at home of higher seed.

Seeding is based on following order:
1. Number of conference wins
2. If #1 is a tie, Number of P5 wins
3. If #2 is a tie, Strength of schedule
You're focused on the competition aspects and rewarding the top 2 seeds with a bye (keeping it so being a team that would have played in the national championship game in the BCS era matters). That's logical. But it ignores the fact that the networks would pay about $50M apiece for the games if the #1 and #2 teams were in action against 7 & 8 seeds that week. No way that kind of money gets left on the table.

If we expand from 4 it will go to 8.

Clemson will house ND. Double digit line. Bama by 9+.

Safe choices. Not sure it’s right. Look forward to playoff and bowls.

I can’t believe so many people are pushing Georgia over Oklahoma. Oklahoma just their conference and avenged their only loss of the season. Is Georgia probably the better team? Yes but losses have to matter at some point.
A statement ****brasksa fans have not uttered...

That final six is why I have a hard time giving a **** about college football outside of CU

I wonder how those coaches motivate their guys before the season. If they were honest they’d tell them that nothing they do this season is gonna matter.

I wonder how those coaches motivate their guys before the season. If they were honest they’d tell them that nothing they do this season is gonna matter.

Not completely fair.

The MNC won by the UCF last year carries the same import to the sport's governing body as did the MNC won by Alabama (none).

The players still got rings and T-shirts that said "National Champs".

The biggest difference between those are the money and the benefit to the school's branding, but those benefits are realized by the universities, not by the players.

Tangent: what's the deal with the crazy capitalization in that tweet? I see it more and more; you used it the other day.and

Not completely fair.

The MNC won by the UCF last year carries the same import to the sport's governing body as did the MNC won by Alabama (none).

The players still got rings and T-shirts that said "National Champs".

The biggest difference between those are the money and the benefit to the school's branding, but those benefits are realized by the universities, not by the players.

Tangent: what's the deal with the crazy capitalization in that tweet? I see it more and more; you used it the other day.and

*MNC

I wish someone would just let Alabama play UCF so this stupid ****ing debate would end. UCF is not nor will it ever be better than the 2017 or 2018 Alabama teams and it wouldn’t even be close. UCF recruits worse than CU by a pretty sizable margin considering they’re in the 70’s. UCF is the 5-0 Buffaloes against their conference. They would be the 0-7 Buffaloes against the real teams. I really just need this game so this narrative can die.

*MNC

I wish someone would just let Alabama play UCF so this stupid ****ing debate would end. UCF is not nor will it ever be better than the 2017 or 2018 Alabama teams and it wouldn’t even be close. UCF recruits worse than CU by a pretty sizable margin considering they’re in the 70’s. UCF is the 5-0 Buffaloes against their conference. They would be the 0-7 Buffaloes against the real teams. I really just need this game so this narrative can die.
The narrative will die iff the governing body of the sport recognizes an NC.

*MNC

I don't give a **** what UCF does. Let them award as many fake national titles to themselves as they want. Everybody above UCF in these rankings would hang 50+ on them.

I will be interested in the answer of two questions

1. Does LSU beat UCF badly?
2. Does Bama blow out OU, or it’s a shootout close game?

The more the B1G gets left out, the louder the voices for change will be. The B1G is too influential for them to just sit idly by and take it.

2nd year in a row where the Big 10 champ has gotten their doors blown off by a team with 7 wins or fewer-we don't need change. Haven't had a #5 with a legit argument to be in over one of the top 4.

2nd year in a row where the Big 10 champ has gotten their doors blown off by a team with 7 wins or fewer-we don't need change. Haven't had a #5 with a legit argument to be in over one of the top 4.

Ohio State, a conference champion, had no legit argument last year, huh?

Even if conceding that point, how do you justify a 2 loss non-conference champ being ranked ahead of the 1 loss Big 10 champ? OSU only had one loss, and it was to a Power Five team with a .500 record.

There is a problem with this system, and with the Pac-12 having no pull due to numerous issues, it will take other Power Five conferences like the Big 10 to make a big enough stink to force some change.

Ohio State, a conference champion, had no legit argument last year, huh?
They gave up 50 ****ing points to Iowa. No, they did not have a legit claim because winning your conference doesn't matter, and it shouldn't in regards to the playoff. This idea has to ****ing die. Conference champs are nice for deciding meaningless bowl games, but they don't make you a playoff team. No way no how.

i think they definitely need to go to 8 teams. and, each of the p5 conference champs should get an auto-bid. 3 at large. this year, you'd have bama, ou, ohio state, uw, and clemson in, along with georgia, nd, and either michigan or ucf in the playoffs. that sounds about right to me.

i think they definitely need to go to 8 teams. and, each of the p5 conference champs should get an auto-bid. 3 at large. this year, you'd have bama, ou, ohio state, uw, and clemson in, along with georgia, nd, and either michigan or ucf in the playoffs. that sounds about right to me.
Yep.

UW isn't a top 8 team

I like it. You could even have UM and UCF as a play in game the week before.

UW isn't a top 8 team

Who cares? Let them prove it on the field. All conferences should be able to participate and get some that gold pot. Every school gets money when the conference makes the playoff. SEC is sweeping the awards and the PAC is getting further ****ed.

Back