What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CFB Playoff discussion thread

I hate the play in to play in to play a game route. Baseball does it and I despise it! I think it would be easy enough to find 8 teams without much of a fuss.
So, you’d rather Michigan play in the Belk Bowl against [insert] and have the outcome be meaningless?

I’m simply suggesting when you have a unique circumstance (an undefeated G5) you make it meaningful.

So, you’d rather Michigan play in the Belk Bowl against [insert] and have the outcome be meaningless?

I’m simply suggesting when you have a unique circumstance (an undefeated G5) you make it meaningful.

I can understand that! I’m just wary of that path because then it just extends the season even further. Then you have teams playing 12, conference championship, play in, first round, 2nd round and then a NC. That’s a lot of games for a college kid to partake in.

Playoff ain't about making sure everyone is taken care of.... That's a terrible argument.

No it isn’t. If the point is to prove it on the field you include everyone in that! The money handed out to all the conferences plus some of the smaller ones is a plus that could help level the field. I see no reasons why everyone can’t share in that money. Best team still wins regardless.

No it isn’t. If the point is to prove it on the field you include everyone in that! The money handed out to all the conferences plus some of the smaller ones is a plus that could help level the field. I see no reasons why everyone can’t share in that money. Best team still wins regardless.
You get a 12 game season to prove it on the field. You lose 3 times...you don't deserve another chance.

You get a 12 game season to prove it on the field. You lose 3 times...you don't deserve another chance.

Okay so you see no reason to go to 8 than.or you don’t value conferences because you would leave Washington out this year. So o guess what’s the point of conferences if we’re going to 8 teams.

except the system is already imbalanced. the p12 plays 9 conf games. and schedules generally harder ooc opponents than some of the others. i understand the argument about having the "best" teams in the playoffs but this is also about growing and protecting the p5 conferences. you take some of the variables off the table if you auto-bid the 5 conference champions.

the next step would be equal p5 conference sizes with divisions and the same number of conf games. then every conf championship game is a effectively a playoff game. if you really wanted to make this more competitive, then you also mandate that p5 teams only play other p5 teams in ooc games. and then ultimately you rotate the schedules of ooc games like the nfl does so that teams can't game the ooc slate. and, you set ooc game pricing and payouts.

all of this would result in a far less controversial system, with far less human input into who gets to play in the playoff. and, it helps eliminate regional biases and other similar issues.

the first step is to go to 8 teams and auto bid the p5 champs.

except the system is already imbalanced. the p12 plays 9 conf games. and schedules generally harder ooc opponents than some of the others. i understand the argument about having the "best" teams in the playoffs but this is also about growing and protecting the p5 conferences. you take some of the variables off the table if you auto-bid the 5 conference champions.

the next step would be equal p5 conference sizes with divisions and the same number of conf games. then every conf championship game is a effectively a playoff game. if you really wanted to make this more competitive, then you also mandate that p5 teams only play other p5 teams in ooc games. and then ultimately you rotate the schedules of ooc games like the nfl does so that teams can't game the ooc slate. and, you set ooc game pricing and payouts.

all of this would result in a far less controversial system, with far less human input into who gets to play in the playoff. and, it helps eliminate regional biases and other similar issues.

Washington lost by 5 to open the season, playing Auburn in Atlanta.

Then they lost to 2 conference bowl teams on the road by 3 (OT after missing a chip shot FG in regulation) and by 2.

Finished by winning 4 straight, with the final 2 against Top 20 teams, to win a P5 conference championship.

tl;dr - Washington would be a fine team to be playing in an 8-team playoff to determine a national champion. If they won 3 games against the best, they'd be a worthy national champion.

What?

i'd be glued to all 4 of those games at least until some of them got out of hand.

could lowly ucf upset bama? ****, man, that would be epic.
go p12-- beat clemson.
i believe ohio state is a lot better than nd-- proof?
uga at ou-- gawd, this one would be epic. georgia on the road with a nasty defense against an incredible offense.

i'd be glued to all 4 of those games at least until some of them got out of hand.

could lowly ucf upset bama? ****, man, that would be epic.
go p12-- beat clemson.
i believe ohio state is a lot better than nd-- proof?
uga at ou-- gawd, this one would be epic. georgia on the road with a nasty defense against an incredible offense.

I know. Especially this year, I feel like I’m getting slighted.

it really would be fun-- i'd predict that bama, clemson, osu, and uga would advance. in other words, 2 of the 4 teams now selected for the playoff would be OUT.

Georgia would work Oklahoma if they played each other, bummer for UGA

yeah and i think ohio state would beat nd easily. and ucf probably feels like they've earned a shot since they went undefeated. and as nik said uw was playing good ball by the end of the year. 8 teams makes this so interesting. and the possibility of upsets would be epic. they're never going to 16 or more teams. 8 is pretty much perfect. 5 champs, 3 more. the also-rans (ucf) get a shot. ****ing domers are still in the mix. and, the sec can still win its way into multiple teams in the playoff.

yeah and i think ohio state would beat nd easily. and ucf probably feels like they've earned a shot since they went undefeated. and as nik said uw was playing good ball by the end of the year. 8 teams makes this so interesting. and the possibility of upsets would be epic. they're never going to 16 or more teams. 8 is pretty much perfect. 5 champs, 3 more. the also-rans (ucf) get a shot. ****ing domers are still in the mix. and, the sec can still win its way into multiple teams in the playoff.

Yep. Anything more than 8 would be ridiculous. Unless they decided to do away with conference championships and just include the divisional champions from each P5 conference. Plus the next best 6 teams. That would seem like too much chaos though.

I'd also love to see a P4 of 16-team conferences with no divisions and 9-game pod scheduling. Top 2 teams play in the conference championships even if they're from the same pod. Then, give me the 3 non-conference games against 1 team each from the other 3 conferences. Add 2 home pre-season games as scrimmages as paydays for the current G5 and FCS programs that get the teams ready for the year (while adding stadium revenue + broadcast revenue).

If we got all that, I'd be cool with a 4-team playoff of the conference champions.

Do you know how many good games we'd get from that compared to how many we get now? How much more money would be made? How much fun it would be? And we'd get as close to that "true champion" as is realistically possible.

This is my plan for college football. (Along with a July early signing period instead of it being in December.)

And yet, this is all just a figment of our imaginations. Instead, there will be that riveting Georgia Texas matchup that I can assure you I will not watch or care the least bit about. It’s the day after the semis for Christ sake!

I'd also love to see a P4 of 16-team conferences with no divisions and 9-game pod scheduling. Top 2 teams play in the conference championships even if they're from the same pod. Then, give me the 3 non-conference games against 1 team each from the other 3 conferences. Add 2 home pre-season games as scrimmages as paydays for the current G5 and FCS programs that get the teams ready for the year (while adding stadium revenue + broadcast revenue).

If we got all that, I'd be cool with a 4-team playoff of the conference champions.

Do you know how many good games we'd get from that compared to how many we get now? How much more money would be made? How much fun it would be? And we'd get as close to that "true champion" as is realistically possible.

This is my plan for college football. (Along with a July early signing period instead of it being in December.)

#buffnikforNCAAcommissioner

I'd be cool with 8 but then they'll want 12 then 16 and so on...but 8 seems good.
Seems like a natural progression mostly because of the money, but having eight teams with conference champs and three at-large teams needs to be the limit. More than the potential additional 4 games for some teams is hard enough to justify for college students, even during the break, not to mention the edge they get with all those practices. I'd like to see them start it sooner, rather than drag it out into the second week of January, though.

For those championing tOSU...ND would beat them, and no one, ne it UGA or Bama is stopping OU's offense.

Back