What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CFB Playoff discussion thread

It’s time most of the bowls go to hell.

Go to a field of 32 teams. Seed them like basketball. Home teams with better records. Have 16 games starting first week Dec. Eight the second week. Four before Christmas. Hold a Final Four just like in basketball with a round robin of what used to be the Rose, Fiesta, Orange and Sugar. Done.

No. The bowls serve a purpose-especially for a program like us who is trying to slowly but surely get back to consistent relevancy. Let me give you another example of this: New Mexico State's 2017 team. They got to a bowl for the first time since 1960 two years ago. Their AD said they couldn't afford to go anywhere but the Arizona Bowl. That game obliged, NMSU won, and those kids celebrated like they had won the ****ing Super Bowl. We could cut back on a few bowls, but they do mean a lot to the teams who play in them-even if you don't watch.

32 teams is far too many-I don't want to see LSU pound LA Tech or somebody like that, and I don't want to hear a 10-2 G5 like UCF trying to argue they belong. Group of 5 teams need to finish at worse 11-1 to be a part of the CFP. If you want to put the SMU-Memphis winner (assuming whoever that is wins out) in as the 8th seed and give them a shot at a big boy, I don't have a problem with that though.

Here's my solution-Go to 8 teams. Play one round of on-campus games, and then have the winners in the two semifinals now. Two, rethink the evaluation methods. I'd say no AP/Coaches polls until the 3rd week of September at least. Let me make one comment about SEC favoritism-Florida should be eliminated automatically from championship contention for playing Towson and Tennessee Martin in the same season. One of those games is fine-two is unacceptable barring something freaky happening (losing a game due to a hurricane/having somebody back out of a game at the last minute). I'd also punish a team like Alabama for their OOC schedule. If Oregon or Utah played the garbage they did outside the SEC, they'd have no shot at the CFP.

It’s time most of the bowls go to hell.

Go to a field of 32 teams. Seed them like basketball. Home teams with better records. Have 16 games starting first week Dec. Eight the second week. Four before Christmas. Hold a Final Four just like in basketball with a round robin of what used to be the Rose, Fiesta, Orange and Sugar. Done.
If you want that go watch the NFL. How many 3 loss teams do you have in, maybe even four loss teams.

College football is great because every game from week one on can be the difference between having a shot at the championship. Giant playoff fields render the regular season meaningless and are boring as well.

If you want that go watch the NFL. How many 3 loss teams do you have in, maybe even four loss teams.

College football is great because every game from week one on can be the difference between having a shot at the championship. Giant playoff fields render the regular season meaningless and are boring as well.

I can remember a Seahawks team make the playoffs with a sub .500 record when the NFC West was bad

First Top 4
Ohio State
LSU
Alabama
Penn State

Next four
Clemson
Georgia
Oregon
Utah

Can't really debate the top 4, but I'd flip Alabama and LSU.
Bama gets botd, but Klatt brought up an interesting stat... Bama has the worst opponent win % in P5, at least before last weekends games. They’ll obviously have their chance to prove it this weekend, but could make an argument they are 4th or even 5th.

Here's the message I'm getting if I'm a Clemson/Oregon/Utah Pac 12 conference (I don't care about you should root for your conference usually, but I'm tired of the Pac 12 plays an inferior brand of football or whatever you want to call it narrative and thus hoping our league can get a team in this year) fan: All three control their own destinies.

Bama gets botd, but Klatt brought up an interesting stat... Bama has the worst opponent win % in P5, at least before last weekends games. They’ll obviously have their chance to prove it this weekend, but could make an argument they are 4th or even 5th.

If Alabama loses on Saturday, they are pretty much done. Their only real chance at a quality win left would be Auburn.

If Alabama loses on Saturday, they are pretty much done. Their only real chance at a quality win left would be Auburn.
Must win. And I think they do.

Press LSU WRs, take away slant, give time for 33, 24 and 99 to pressure Burrow.

Exact same gameplan for LSU vs Bama and Tua.

That seems to be the consensus I've been hearing today. Idk if I buy it, though. I get the reasons why that could be the case. I'll believe it when I see it, I guess. They win this weekend, it'll probably put that to bed. Unless, Auburn finds a way to beat them.

I'm betting LSU, Clemson, and OSU make it. The last spot is for Oregon, Oklahoma or Alabama.
Crazy thing would be if we finally got a chaotic championship weekend
1. Georgia over LSU
2. Oklahoma loses to whoever is in second place
3. Alabama having to sit it out and getting passed by UGA
4. The winner of Oregon/Utah trying to make a late push

The only locks I see are Ohio State and Clemson. Other than that is it going to be a pretty wild end of the season.

I think there's a good chance Alabama isn't in this year. LSU looks like the better team, and I think if one loss Alabama is going against one loss conference champ Oregon and one loss conference champ Oklahoma for the final spot, Bama sits at home.

I think there's a good chance Alabama isn't in this year. LSU looks like the better team, and I think if one loss Alabama is going against one loss conference champ Oregon and one loss conference champ Oklahoma for the final spot, Bama sits at home.
Agree. LSU better able to get in than Bama with one loss (unless maybe Bama curb stomps them)

There is still a lot of football to play and upsets are brewing.

But if things play out the way they should:
1. Big Ten Champ
2. SEC Champ
3. Clemson
4. Pac 12 or OU (my guess is Oregon gets it if they win but committee keeps Utah out)

You'd have two really pissed conferences if a one loss SEC team gets in ahead of TWO other one loss conference champs.

16's too many. Take the bottom four out and call it 12 and I'm down
FCS does a 24 team playoff and nobody complains. I'm actually all for this 16 team bracket. I think this model would be right on par if not better than the ratings for NFL playoffs, and would rival college hoops as the greatest postseason in sports.

FCS does a 24 team playoff and nobody complains. I'm actually all for this 16 team bracket. I think this model would be right on par if not better than the ratings for NFL playoffs, and would rival college hoops as the greatest postseason in sports.

I think you're stretching when you allow somebody like Baylor to compete for a natty given their joke of a schedule.

I think you're stretching when you allow somebody like Baylor to compete for a natty given their joke of a schedule.
Those are the initial CFP rankings. Things tend to get flushed out by the time the real rankings come out at the end. If a team finishes undefeated or with 1 loss, regardless of schedule, is there really an argument that they shouldn't be able to at least compete for a national championship? If they are living a lie like Baylor and Minnesota might be doing right now, they'll lose in the first round of the playoffs.

Back