What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CFP Selection Freakout Thread

Alfred91

Chicks dig scars.
Club Member
Post your thoughts here about what's going to happen this coming Sunday.

SEC fans already freaking out that UGA wouldn't automatically be in even if Alabama beats them.

Apparently the idea that a one loss SEC non-champ wouldn't get in over 3 undefeated P5 champions is anti-SEC bias.

I’m glad the P-12 game is on Friday night. It’ll help me decide if I’m rooting for chaos or not on Saturday.
- UDub wins = rooting for FSU and UMich losses, UGA win
- UDub loses = rooting for FSU and UMich wins, UGA loss (hoping UGA stays in and Bama jumps Oregon).
- Best outcome, somehow congress finds the CFP is illegal this week and forces the teams to go back to their traditional bowl tie-ins.

Ultimate chaos scenario is if UW, FSU, UT, UGA, and Michigan all lose. You'd have 3 clearly undeserving P5 champs (Okie lite, Iowa and Louisville), and then a logjam of teams with 1 loss.

UofO gets a spot
Bama gets a spot

But then who? UGA and UW probably have the best losses at that point, but I'm not convinced they'd put OSU behind either of them. But Michigan beat OSU and OSU didn't even play 13 games.

Give me Michigan, Bama, Texas, Washington, and FSU in the CCGs.

1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. FSU
4. Texas

SEC left out.

I'm sure the committee would justify putting Bama in somehow, but that would require putting them ahead of an undefeated P5 conference champ or ahead of a team they lost to.

FSU would get forked due to the injury.

Give me Michigan, Bama, Texas, Washington, and FSU in the CCGs.

1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. FSU
4. Texas

SEC left out.

I'm sure the committee would justify putting Bama in somehow, but that would require putting them ahead of an undefeated P5 conference champ or ahead of a team they lost to.

FSU would get forked due to the injury.

If this was the case, please give me a live shot of Paul Finebaum's head when the teams are announced. Or maybe not. I'm not sure I want to see a real-life recreation of the infamous Scanners scene.

In all seriousness, there's no way an SEC team gets left out. In your scenario, I think Texas gets left out even if it showed ridiculous hypocrisy because SEC.

I don't think UW could beat Georgia or Michigan. The team that would have a better chance would be Oregon <vurp>.
Maybe. But Oregon doesn’t have the cache that UW has now as an undefeated team. The ultimate “**** you” to the media assholes and conference leadership that allowed this to happen would be for a team that had played its last conference game to win the championship as a member of that conference. People need to be absolutely ashamed of themselves over this.

Georgia, Michigan, Oregon, Texas

The four best teams.
This is what I'm rooting for, with either UW or Oregon in for the PAC 12. Rooting for Louisville to beat Florida State. If Bama does beat Georgia, than they should take Georgia's spot (likely 3 or 4 seed) and Georgia drops out.

The CFP rankings really did set the stage for the SEC champ actually being left out if Bama beats GA.

The fact that Washington is 4 and Oregon is 5 pretty much guarantees a Pac-12 team in the playoff. Michigan is going to get in because Iowa. Assuming FSU is able to get past Louisville, the committee isn't going to overlook an undefeated P5 champ just because of an injury to its QB, even if everyone agrees it's devastating to their chances of winning in the playoff (spoiler alert: they weren't going to anyway).

Which leaves us with 6, 7, and 8. Ohio State is a bad position here because they don't play this weekend. No matter what else happens, Texas will jump them in the final rankings (assuming they beat Okie Lite). Bama obviously would too, if they beat Georgia. Here's where things get tricky for the SEC. As we already said, the Pac-12 champ and Michigan are all but in. If FSU is undefeated, they're in as well.

Which leaves us with 1 spot, and 3 12-1 teams vying for it - one of those teams would not be a P5 champ, meaning they're out. Sorry Georgia. Now the committee is in a pickle. They can go with Texas, which would lead to screaming all over the South, and in Bristol CT, where ESPN would have to deal with a CFP without an SEC team. Or they can go with Alabama, in which case you're jumping a team who just won their conference championship, which is not necessarily awful because beating UGA is more impressive than beating Okie Lite, but also you're putting a 12-1 team ahead of another 12-1 team who beat them in the regular season. That's going to lead to a lot of screaming, but I think the committee signaled they're not going to do that by putting Texas ahead of Bama in the rankings.

Having said all that, I think it is irrelevant because UGA is going to win.

But I'm rooting for Michigan, FSU, Texas, and Alabama just to see if it will happen.

I'm rooting for alabama as much as I hate them, same with michigan, rooting for texas, rooting for washington, and I want florida st. to win... I want chaos

I want Alabama and Georgie to eat a dick and be left out
There's a part of me that wants to see Bama win, Oregon to knock off Washington, and FSU to struggle to victory... with the Selection Committee then pissing everyone off and turning this into a farce by making it Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama and Georgia with a "our job was to pick the 4 best teams" rationale.

There's a part of me that wants to see Bama win, Oregon to knock off Washington, and FSU to struggle to victory... with the Selection Committee then pissing everyone off and turning this into a farce by making it Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama and Georgia with a "our job was to pick the 4 best teams" rationale.
Nice call, they probably have the same KPMG accountants that picked the Patrick Ewing and Lebron James balls on those draft days
Stuff just happens.

The CFP rankings really did set the stage for the SEC champ actually being left out if Bama beats GA.

The fact that Washington is 4 and Oregon is 5 pretty much guarantees a Pac-12 team in the playoff. Michigan is going to get in because Iowa. Assuming FSU is able to get past Louisville, the committee isn't going to overlook an undefeated P5 champ just because of an injury to its QB, even if everyone agrees it's devastating to their chances of winning in the playoff (spoiler alert: they weren't going to anyway).

Which leaves us with 6, 7, and 8. Ohio State is a bad position here because they don't play this weekend. No matter what else happens, Texas will jump them in the final rankings (assuming they beat Okie Lite). Bama obviously would too, if they beat Georgia. Here's where things get tricky for the SEC. As we already said, the Pac-12 champ and Michigan are all but in. If FSU is undefeated, they're in as well.

Which leaves us with 1 spot, and 3 12-1 teams vying for it - one of those teams would not be a P5 champ, meaning they're out. Sorry Georgia. Now the committee is in a pickle. They can go with Texas, which would lead to screaming all over the South, and in Bristol CT, where ESPN would have to deal with a CFP without an SEC team. Or they can go with Alabama, in which case you're jumping a team who just won their conference championship, which is not necessarily awful because beating UGA is more impressive than beating Okie Lite, but also you're putting a 12-1 team ahead of another 12-1 team who beat them in the regular season. That's going to lead to a lot of screaming, but I think the committee signaled they're not going to do that by putting Texas ahead of Bama in the rankings.

Having said all that, I think it is irrelevant because UGA is going to win.

But I'm rooting for Michigan, FSU, Texas, and Alabama just to see if it will happen.
I don't think an Alabama win on a neutral site would drop UGA out of the top 4 unless they got spanked something fierce

Far too much time on my hands, but here goes.

There's 32 possible outcomes for 5 games, I'm going to assume a Michigan and Texas win, but here's how I think the other 8 scenarios could play out.

1. Oregon, Georgia, FSU win

Should be: 1. Georgia, 2. Michigan, 3. FSU, 4. Oregon; could easily justify Texas over Oregon though.

Committee goes: 1. Georgia, 2. Michigan, 3. Oregon, 4. FSU; gives a B1G/Pac Rose Bowl semi-final prepares the Big XII for future experiences never getting an at-large bid.

2. Washington, Georgia, FSU win

Should be: 1. Georgia, 2. Michigan, 3. Washington, 4. FSU

Committee does the same; four undefeated P5 conference champs makes their lives really easy

3. Oregon, Bama, FSU win

Should be: 1. Michigan, 2. FSU, 3. Oregon, 4. Texas

Committee does: 1. Michigan, 2. Oregon, 3. Texas, 4. Bama;

Unless FSU gets a lights out game from Tate Rodemaker, then there's a small chance they do the right thing and go 1. Michigan, 2. FSU, 3. Oregon, 4. Texas

4. Oregon, Georgia, L'ville win

Should be: 1. Georgia, 2. Michigan, 3. Oregon, 4. Texas; committee does the same

5. Washington, Bama, FSU win

Should be: 1. Michigan, 2. Washington, 3. FSU, 4. Texas, as above committee maybe does this if Rodemaker has a stellar game

Committee does: 1. Michigan, 2. Washington, 3. Texas, 4. Bama

6. Washington, Georgia, L'ville win

Should be: 1. Georgia, 2. Michigan, 3. Washington, 4. Texas, committee does the same

7. Oregon, Bama, L'ville win

Should be: 1. Michigan, 2. Oregon, 3. Texas, 4. Bama, committee does the same

8. Washington, Bama, L'ville win

Should be: 1. Michigan, 2. Washington, 3. Texas, 4. Bama, committee does the same

I'm trying to think of a pathways for Ohio State; I guess the only way would be Okie Lite, Georgia, Michigan, Washington, L'ville winning which would give: 1. Georgia, 2. Michigan, 3. Washington, 4. Ohio State

Of course, all of that is probably nonsense, and somehow Bama and Georgia both end up in.

I don't think an Alabama win on a neutral site would drop UGA out of the top 4 unless they got spanked something fierce
The rationale is:

12-1 Texas > 12-1 Bama > 12-1 Georgia; and 13-0 Michigan > 12-1 Georgia

You need 1 more team ahead of Georgia in that case.

Either 13-0 Washington or 12-1 Oregon, with a conference title should be ahead of Georgia; maybe the committee leaves the Pac-12 out in the cold though

Then they have to justify leaving out 13-0 FSU as well?

The upside there would be some of those who hate the expanded playoff finally seeing the light.

I was just thinking the same thing might happen. Michigan, Alabama win. Fla St loses and Oregon wins but Nix is injured and wouldn’t play in a playoff game. In that scenario, I’d be shocked if anything other than Mich, Ohio St, Georgia and Alabama were in the playoff. It used to be fun to root for that type of chaos, hoping it would change the awful system in place. But since it’s the last year of it, no need for chaos. But I’m still sort of rooting for it anyway.

The rationale is:

12-1 Texas > 12-1 Bama > 12-1 Georgia; and 13-0 Michigan > 12-1 Georgia

You need 1 more team ahead of Georgia in that case.

Either 13-0 Washington or 12-1 Oregon, with a conference title should be ahead of Georgia; maybe the committee leaves the Pac-12 out in the cold though

Then they have to justify leaving out 13-0 FSU as well?
got it. thx

Back