What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CFP Selection Freakout Thread

2010 ACCCG was FSU vs VT in Charlotte.

Christian Ponder was the FSU QB that season but there was an injury question about him heading into the game. I was sitting on the FSU side of the stadium* and before the game the group of fans just behind me were working hard at one-upping each other over their knowledge of football and the Florida State team.

just before kick, I asked "is Ponder going to play tonight?", because, honestly, they seemed like they'd be on top of that stuff

dude scoffs and says "Of course!", the others giggle at the ignorance of my question and resume conversation among themselves

the games kicks off and a guy named E.J. Manuel comes out with the FSU offense. They got really quiet

/cool story bro

*VT secured the Coastal division early that year. I was living in Raleigh then, and for most of the second half of the season, it looked like NCSU was going to win the Atlantic division, so their fans naturally bought up most of those tickets, only to see their team choke away the last few games.

The secondary ticket market was flooded with NC State fans dumping their tickets. I bought a group of four tickets in the 4th row on the 45 yard line from a seller on Craigslist. Seller was asking $250/each, which was probably what he paid.

The "seller" turned out to be a married couple. After emailing with the wife a few times, I got on the phone with the husband and talked for a bit before making my offer, "I realize you don't want to take a loss, but your asking price is really outside my range. There's tickets available for $25 to this game -- not as good as yours, of course.... but would you consider taking $150 for the four?"

"FUKK no!!!!" in a very angry tone and he hung up on me.

I wanted those seats though. I followed up with an email and said "I didn't like the way our conversation ended. I realize that what I can afford to pay would mean you'd take a loss and I 100% understand if you want to hold out for full buying price, but if you don't find a buyer for what you need, I'd still be interested."

two hours later, the wife calls me and says "I didn't like the way that call ended either!". They eventually sold me the tickets for $200.

/another csb, maybe even less cool, but one of my best ever successes scalping

In the scenario where Bama, FSU, MIchigan, Texas, and Washington win; I think this actually helps FSU a little in fighting off the committee's urge to ensure an SEC bid.

The "they're no good without Jordan Travis" argument perhaps loses a little steam and gives a little way to, "they're good enough to win with anyone at QB."

On second thought, naah, there's no way the SEC gets left out; and at this point I'm rooting so hard to see Bama win and somehow get slotted in over Texas or an undefeated FSU or Washington; just to shine a little more light on the SEC bias.

I think a lot of people, including me, are in denial at the idea that the SEC could be left out. (I still think UGa rolls and it's academic, but....)

The logical field, in the scenario Klatt posted is pretty straight forward - undefeateds are in, you can't punish an undefeated P5 champ for injuries. Oregon is in, their only loss was to what would still be a top ten team AND they avenged that loss. Texas is in on the basis of head to head. Timing is not that big of a deal when you're talking about winning in Tuscaloosa.

But, here's hoping we have 4 undefeateds and we at least have no Oregon, no Alabama, and no Texas.

I still don't get how Oregon is ranked above Texas.

Oregon - 3 wins against teams with winning records, 1-1 vs. CFP top 25, #62 SOS
Texas - 6 wins against teams with winning records, 2-1 vs. CFP top 25, #13 SOS

But Oregon scores alot of points. And then the clown Boo Corrigan comes on and when asked about Oregon he talks about Bo Nix's completion percentage. Huh?

I still don't get how Oregon is ranked above Texas.

Oregon - 3 wins against teams with winning records, 1-1 vs. CFP top 25, #62 SOS
Texas - 6 wins against teams with winning records, 2-1 vs. CFP top 25, #13 SOS

But Oregon scores alot of points. And then the clown Boo Corrigan comes on and when asked about Oregon he talks about Bo Nix's completion percentage. Huh?
Bothered me first week as well.

I’m glad the P-12 game is on Friday night. It’ll help me decide if I’m rooting for chaos or not on Saturday.
- UDub wins = rooting for FSU and UMich losses, UGA win
- UDub loses = rooting for FSU and UMich wins, UGA loss (hoping UGA stays in and Bama jumps Oregon).
- Best outcome, somehow congress finds the CFP is illegal this week and forces the teams to go back to their traditional bowl tie-ins.
LET’S GOOOOO!!
Suck it Oregon!!
C’mon Louisville!
C’Mon…Iowa 😬
C’Mon Georgia BLOW OUT!

Edit: I don’t know what to root for re UGA. I want both UGA and Bama out. I want Texas in. But I want the CFP committee exposed as a farce and maybe have Bama jump Texas and have Texas left out.

Last edited:
What I see is the regular season didn’t matter and it all came down to conf championship games. Which I hate.
The regular season games that matter are just shifted and expanded. The games that mattered before for in/out become important for byes/seeding, and the teams playing for a crack at a NY6 bowl are now playing for a crack at the playoffs.

Edit: I don’t know what to root for re UGA. I want both UGA and Bama out. I want Texas in. But I want the CFP committee exposed as a farce and maybe have Bama jump Texas and have Texas left out.

The committee is already a farce. I don't know why they even bothered interviewing Corrigan on GameDay this morning. In the few minutes he was on there he said absolutely nothing. And it's the same with the basketball selection committee, they never give anything of any substance in these pre and post-selection interviews. Maybe if they had some transparency they wouldn't get so much grief.

If UGA and FSU go on to win tonight the committe basically has it pretty easy and can just put in the 4 undefeated conference champs. Which is totally fine and is the least objectionable option, if not almost fully warranted. But if they do that just don't come out and feed us some bull**** that you put the 4 best teams in because that would absolutely not be the case. If they truly want the 4 best in this situation then it would be UGA, Michigan, UW and Texas.

The committee is already a farce. I don't know why they even bothered interviewing Corrigan on GameDay this morning. In the few minutes he was on there he said absolutely nothing. And it's the same with the basketball selection committee, they never give anything of any substance in these pre and post-selection interviews. Maybe if they had some transparency they wouldn't get so much grief.

If UGA and FSU go on to win tonight the committe basically has it pretty easy and can just put in the 4 undefeated conference champs. Which is totally fine and is the least objectionable option, if not almost fully warranted. But if they do that just don't come out and feed us some bull**** that you put the 4 best teams in because that would absolutely not be the case. If they truly want the 4 best in this situation then it would be UGA, Michigan, UW and Texas.
The 4 best arguments are always comically easy to pick apart.

If FSU is not the same team now, without Travis, then you have to acknowledge that Texas' signature win over early season Bama means less than beating December Bama. That early season Bama team was barely edging out USF.

If you look at it in terms of most impressive loss, then Ohio State needs to be next up, because they were one bounce of the ball or big play away from beating Michigan, and Michigan is probably better than Oklahoma or Texas so you put tOSU ahead of Texas and Bama.

Yeah, FSU with or without Travis is probably in the 8th to 12th best range, but so is Washington if you think Sagarin rankings get it right, and they beat Oregon twice.

That's maybe 10% of the logical, cluster****, transitive property, arguments you could make for or against any team.

Thank jeebus the 4 team playoff is over after this season.

There will still be calls made at #9 through #15? #18? that won't be objectively indisputable, but at least in a year like this where there's at least 8 teams who would have a decent shot at winning any game on a neutral field, you're cutting out some almost legit teams instead of some legit teams.

so tasty! the sec not having a seat at the table would be epic.

fsu sitting out and undefeated would rock.

texas beat bama and won the b12p-- them getting ****ed would be glorious.

michigan if they win and uw have to be locks at this point.

ahahahaha. i turn away from our own drama and feast upon the tragedies of our enemy programs.

Back