What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Colorado vs. Wazzu Game Thread 11/17/23

I think it’s possible to accept that the Buffs are vastly improved and still be disappointed with some of the results and play on the field this season.

Last season was historically bad (just ask @The Alabaster Yak), so improvement was a really low bar.
Even though being better than last season was a low bar, it's not like that bar was barely cleared by this year's team.

The only difference between this year and last year is the OOC wins. This teams has a long way to go, and a coach who needs to show a lot of growth this off-season.

Last night was pathetic. That team could have named their score.
We were -251 points in conference last year
This year it's -107 points.

Scoring differential has always been a better predictor of future record than W/L record itself is.

Even with a ~20 point loss to Utah, we walk away from this season about 2 TDs per game better than last year.

Most other posters just tell you to stop posting. I’m the only one who bothered to tell you that you make no sense.

As for your post, Prime has stated that he’s here at Colorado to do this job. He has not acted with “one foot out the door.” He wants to win now. College football is a fickle business. A guy who signed a mega extension to an already extended agreement less than two years ago was fired for being slightly above average.

The relationship Prime has with CU is good.
Thank you Manhattan actually for working to help me calm my nerves.
I care about the Buffs so darn much, yet like many here are so frustrated that we just do not get nice things, except Basketball now
I also think that Prime wants to make CU a winner, because he hates to lose and be called a loser more than he is interested in another challenge.
I will simplify my thoughts on future posts, or just type a post, stare at it, realize it is stupid, and delete it.

Thank you Manhattan actually for working to help me calm my nerves.
I care about the Buffs so darn much, yet like many here are so frustrated that we just do not get nice things, except Basketball now
I also think that Prime wants to make CU a winner, because he hates to lose and be called a loser more than he is interested in another challenge.
I will simplify my thoughts on future posts, or just type a post, stare at it, realize it is stupid, and delete it.
Season 9 Hug GIF by The Office

Translation
  • Prime succeeding is the greatest thing ever for all of us
  • I want it to happen
  • I hope he makes all the correct player and coaching moves
  • He operates in a way that is one foot out the door to the next challenge and his children are done next year.
  • I will clear all posts with you first
Check your priorities in life if you believe that.

I agree with the idea that Prime wants to win now. Here's the thing though-he's not a good game manager right now. Neither was McCartney. McCartney could hire quality assistant coaches. How many of his assistants got head coaching opportunities after working here? Let me bring up another former CU HC in this context. Mike MacIntyre could have been successful at CU. One of the reasons he wasn't was how loyal he was to in particular to the guys who followed him to CU from SJSU, with Klayton Adams being case in point.

The question for Prime is this-does he have the courage to let some of the guys he hired go? Think of it this way-

OC/QB-Until I see otherwise, I'm assuming Lewis either takes a G5 HC job or another Power 5 OC job. I don't see him being willing to stay here after he got demoted.
RB-Harrell. This is the first time he's ever been at the power 5 level. I don't think he belongs. We don't run the ball well enough or do a good enough job getting the kids we have at that spot involved in the offense.
WR-Bartolone. Did a nice job. I don't see a reason to move on from him.
TE-Brewster. Mikey Harrison was a find. I wouldn't have an issue keeping Brewster, but I do wonder why he was demoted over O'Boyle to make room for Shurmur.
OL-O'Boyle. He's gone.
DE-Williams. Hell of a recruiter. I'd like to see him stay.
DL-Sunseri. About the same as Williams.
LB-Hart. The way this staff handled Juwan Mitchell was flat weird. He can go.
CB-Mathis. See above.
DC/S-Kelly. Friday not withstanding, the defense got better as the year went on.

We were -251 points in conference last year
This year it's -107 points.

Scoring differential has always been a better predictor of future record than W/L record itself is.

Even with a ~20 point loss to Utah, we walk away from this season about 2 TDs per game better than last year.
They're better.

Up the AC pool.

I agree with the idea that Prime wants to win now. Here's the thing though-he's not a good game manager right now. Neither was McCartney. McCartney could hire quality assistant coaches. How many of his assistants got head coaching opportunities after working here? Let me bring up another former CU HC in this context. Mike MacIntyre could have been successful at CU. One of the reasons he wasn't was how loyal he was to in particular to the guys who followed him to CU from SJSU, with Klayton Adams being case in point.

The question for Prime is this-does he have the courage to let some of the guys he hired go? Think of it this way-

OC/QB-Until I see otherwise, I'm assuming Lewis either takes a G5 HC job or another Power 5 OC job. I don't see him being willing to stay here after he got demoted.
RB-Harrell. This is the first time he's ever been at the power 5 level. I don't think he belongs. We don't run the ball well enough or do a good enough job getting the kids we have at that spot involved in the offense.
WR-Bartolone. Did a nice job. I don't see a reason to move on from him.
TE-Brewster. Mikey Harrison was a find. I wouldn't have an issue keeping Brewster, but I do wonder why he was demoted over O'Boyle to make room for Shurmur.
OL-O'Boyle. He's gone.
DE-Williams. Hell of a recruiter. I'd like to see him stay.
DL-Sunseri. About the same as Williams.
LB-Hart. The way this staff handled Juwan Mitchell was flat weird. He can go.
CB-Mathis. See above.
DC/S-Kelly. Friday not withstanding, the defense got better as the year went on.
You forgot special teams. Mata should never be on the football field again.

special teams have been a disaster all season except the punter dropping some nice placement punts. He should of had 2 blocked, and 1 did get blocked, so a wash maybe for him?

I feel as though every heroes journey has a dark spell. Prime knew he was taking over a challenge, in retrospect it was looking too easy. This period may become a defining part of his narrative.

I agree that we should double-down to demonstrate our commitment.
This is an excellent point. In fiction writing, we call it... Try. Fail. Try again. You can't have a good drama without Try. Fail. Try Again. The bigger the fail, the better the try again story.

I like this way of looking at the Prime story, while truly not knowing what the end of the book will bring.

Back