What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Colorado vs. Wazzu Game Thread 11/17/23

They were 5-7 last year and were decent last year. They vastly improved for sure but they didn't improve anywhere near CU. No one did.
Assume a win over ASU and that's a bigger jump in the win column than CU had.

Add a bowl win and that's a 10 win year for them.

They were 1-11 in 2021, then 5-7 in 2022 and then look at them THIS year.
We were 1-11 in 2022, look to be 4-8 in 2023 and next year could easily be 8-4 (or 8-5/9-4 with a bowl game) if we are fortunate (especially with a BIG-12 schedule).
Not to mention we lost by an average of 30. We have had opportunities to win every game other than Oregon and of course last night.

Assume a win over ASU and that's a bigger jump in the win column than CU had.

Add a bowl win and that's a 10 win year for them.
We lost by an average of 30 last year. If you want to be lazy and say they won 5 more than last year and we only won 3 more than last year, then sure.

When you talk about the record, please don't forget about the context of strength of opponent.

This Colorado team would be bowling in Big10 west this year, or in 2021 Pac12.

The Pac12 this year is really good. And we are 1 dumb game away from 5 wins.

The first game against TCU not only distorted the national perception. It also distorted our own perception.

I don't know who still remember this, but after the CSU game, when reporter asked CP about the thing he learned so far in P5, he said one word:

"Patience".

We can justify not having patience with Karl or Macintyre, because they don't care about recruiting. CP is all about recruiting. We are excited about this hire, not because he is the GOAT CB, not because his rah-rah style, not because his media attention. It's because the only way to bring CU back to the old glorious days is to recruit better. And he is really the only one who can do that given the current situation CU is in.

He deserves our patience.

Last edited:
When you talk about the record, please don't forget about the context of strength of opponent.

This Colorado team would be bowling in Big10 west this year, or in 2021 Pac12.

The Pac12 this year is really good. And we are 1 dumb game away from 5 wins.

The first game against TCU not only distorted the national perception. It also distorted our own perception.

I don't know who still remember this, but after the CSU game, when reporter asked CP about the thing he learned so far in P5, he said one word:

"Patience".

We can justify not having patience with Karl or Macintyre, because they don't care about recruiting. CP is all about recruiting. We are excited about this hire, not because he is the GOAT CB, not because his rah-rah style, not because his media attention. It's because the only way to bring CU back to the old glorious days is to recruit better. And he is really the only one who can do that given the current situation CU is in.

He deserves our patience.
That's fair, but I need to see changes on staff.

I would not compare Incarnate Word to JSU. They have a scheme and a system in place that works and they generally have a great OL and schematic WRs and RBs who fit that system. JSU scheme constantly was changing and at times, it didn't fit the personnel in year 2. As I said before the season, 2 would have an easier transition.

Ward had the best OL in the FCS and went to one of the worst pass blocking OLs in P5 with Wazzu. Shedeur OL as a freshman was a lot worse than what I've seen this year. It was literally the worst in the FCS and mid tier D2 at best. Last year OL was massively better led by Tyler Brown and Willis Patrick.

I knew he would have success on this level and he would do better than he did to a degree just due to the Football IQ gap between levels of his personnel. JSU had some serious talent but man, a lot of players was severely flawed. I don't see that as much here, the issue here is not that many guys are talented. It's frustrating to be honest.

Incarnate Word might have been D2 not that long ago but as a private Catholic school out of San Antonio, it's safe to assume that money for the football program isn't an issue. I don't know what their aspirations are like such as going up to FBS but looking at their Wikipedia page, it appears that they could pull it off within a decade or two. Plus being in the middle of all that talent in central Texas doesn't hurt Perhaps that is why Ward's former HC there is now the HC at Texas State in nearby San Marcos and it appears they are doing well.

As for JSU, there is the issue of overall funding for HBCUs and also the unfairness of how FCS playoff hosting is determined by money which puts HBCUs at a disadvantage which is why HBCUs do not bother with the FCS playoffs and have their own separate postseason. It's not difficult to see that going from HBCU to P5 is a bigger jump than FCS to P5. That is something that should benefit Shedeur when he eventually goes to the NFL.

And for the underlined, that is the frustration of the CU fanbase for quite sometime.

after watching the afternoon pac 12 games, anyone in this conference can win. we were close against some teams that looked so good today. we need to find our identity and upgrade starters at a few positions and depth, while building the team cohesiveness. the coaches will gel and get better—either through experience or upgrades—and i think we can be an 8-10 win team next year. i believe

If we had a decent OL, we would be a bowl team this season for sure and that is something that can be addressed in the offseason. The Big 12 isn't going to be a cakewalk next year and if the OL is bad, it'll just be another repeat of this season.

If we had a decent OL, we would be a bowl team this season for sure and that is something that can be addressed in the offseason. The Big 12 isn't going to be a cakewalk next year and if the OL is bad, it'll just be another repeat of this season.
exactly! even if we only get a new OL coach and another year of cohesiveness/ consistency from the OL we will be better next year. CP is 95% likely to build the offensive identity and understand how to build for SS2.

if we get one interior OL portal smasher, the JSU guard Brown eligible, David Conner healthy, Van Wells as a veteran who calls the pro, better coaching, better scheme understanding (because the CP staff will have to understand the ways to deal with equal talent in P5), and the growth of our very young roster... we will be better.

on D we have Cormani after a year of weights and teaching. Lavontae as a veteran leader and a stud interior LB alongside him (portal guy probably). Trevor back at safety playing safe and tackling well alongside SS21 who will smash and take chances for big plays. Amari McNeil continues to progress and an NT who can absorb blocks and a stud edge.

Omarion Miller replaces Zay (love you Zay) and grows. Explosive frosh (hopefully Aaron Butler) for a change of pace. OC learns to use Edwards the way that Sean Lewis told us he'd use him before week one. Alton McCaskill is our primary back and gets 10-15 carries per game (some of those carries are 2 yards but when he hits it, he has chunk plays like he did as a freshman at Houston). A few extra lbs on Mikey and a young stud TE who can block and catch (maybe portal or maybe a high ceiling frosh).

That's a squad that will make the 12 team playoff.

adding it all up... 7 eligible or growing from our current roster and 6 new players (3 OL—1 recruit or portal, two eligible—, WR—growth, frosh—, RB—healthy, growth—, TE—recruit—, DL—growth, portal—, edge—recruit or portal—, LB— 2x portal—, CB—growth—, safety—growth). if we get more high talent transfers or recruits thats icing on the cake.

the variable is how many depth pieces we lose and how we replace them with culture fits who can be second stringers who want to fight for their place. if we get 7 "dawgs" we will be very good.

i reserve the right to edit and regret this post ... but it's how i see this roster. i think we are so close. and i never thought that about this team in the last 20 years

exactly! even if we only get a new OL coach and another year of cohesiveness/ consistency from the OL we will be better next year. CP is 95% likely to build the offensive identity and understand how to build for SS2.

if we get one interior OL portal smasher, the JSU guard Brown eligible, David Conner healthy, Van Wells as a veteran who calls the pro, better coaching, better scheme understanding (because the CP staff will have to understand the ways to deal with equal talent in P5), and the growth of our very young roster... we will be better.

on D we have Cormani after a year of weights and teaching. Lavontae as a veteran leader and a stud interior LB alongside him (portal guy probably). Trevor back at safety playing safe and tackling well alongside SS21 who will smash and take chances for big plays. Amari McNeil continues to progress and an NT who can absorb blocks and a stud edge.

Omarion Miller replaces Zay (love you Zay) and grows. Explosive frosh (hopefully Aaron Butler) for a change of pace. OC learns to use Edwards the way that Sean Lewis told us he'd use him before week one. Alton McCaskill is our primary back and gets 10-15 carries per game (some of those carries are 2 yards but when he hits it, he has chunk plays like he did as a freshman at Houston). A few extra lbs on Mikey and a young stud TE who can block and catch (maybe portal or maybe a high ceiling frosh).

That's a squad that will make the 12 team playoff.

adding it all up... 7 eligible or growing from our current roster and 6 new players (3 OL—1 recruit or portal, two eligible—, WR—growth, frosh—, RB—healthy, growth—, TE—recruit—, DL—growth, portal—, edge—recruit or portal—, LB— 2x portal—, CB—growth—, safety—growth). if we get more high talent transfers or recruits thats icing on the cake.

the variable is how many depth pieces we lose and how we replace them with culture fits who can be second stringers who want to fight for their place. if we get 7 "dawgs" we will be very good.

i reserve the right to edit and regret this post ... but it's how i see this roster. i think we are so close. and i never thought that about this team in the last 20 years
i understand that this is possibly a call for inpatient rehab or at least a betterhelp subscription

If you look at the current coaches in the CFP top 25, about half of them were .500 or worse in their first year at their current school. They nearly all took bad jobs. Some of the people above that mark are outliers who took over already well-run programs or hit on a transfer QB immediately. The others went to a blue blood and turned things around.

People jumping ship after one challenging season is really bizarre. It’s really tough to turn around a bad program.
I feel as though every heroes journey has a dark spell. Prime knew he was taking over a challenge, in retrospect it was looking too easy. This period may become a defining part of his narrative.

I agree that we should double-down to demonstrate our commitment.
It's just starting to get interesting for the man and the choices he has to make.

Incarnate Word might have been D2 not that long ago but as a private Catholic school out of San Antonio, it's safe to assume that money for the football program isn't an issue. I don't know what their aspirations are like such as going up to FBS but looking at their Wikipedia page, it appears that they could pull it off within a decade or two. Plus being in the middle of all that talent in central Texas doesn't hurt Perhaps that is why Ward's former HC there is now the HC at Texas State in nearby San Marcos and it appears they are doing well.

As for JSU, there is the issue of overall funding for HBCUs and also the unfairness of how FCS playoff hosting is determined by money which puts HBCUs at a disadvantage which is why HBCUs do not bother with the FCS playoffs and have their own separate postseason. It's not difficult to see that going from HBCU to P5 is a bigger jump than FCS to P5. That is something that should benefit Shedeur when he eventually goes to the NFL.

And for the underlined, that is the frustration of the CU fanbase for quite sometime.
I am talking about more recent history. Not overall history. UIW been an offensive juggernaut for the last 5 years. They have lost so many HCs in recent years to the FBS and just continue to produce regardless of the HC or QB. They lost Cam Ward and replaced him with Lindsey Scott and all he did was set damn near every record.

As I said, I am talking recent history. JSU before Prime had issues that went even beyond funding. The previous president wanted JSU to focus on APR aka grades and graduation rates because they got paid from that. They had so many guys on scholarship who didn't deserve to be playing FCS football, it was insane. Like CU they had issues that went beyond the norm. I literally watched every JSU game and many HBCU over the last couple of years and immersed myself in the culture. There is a lot that they benefit from but suffer from.

I noticed on here we focus on the negatives but there is a lot of cultural pluses that simply don't exist anywhere else but their for many of these athletes. I would say the HBCU football is world is very talented. Talent isn't there issue. It's depth, non skill positions outside of QB, and football IQ in general. Tez Walker and a number of others have proved that HBCU football has a lot of talent and can play at the P5 level. A lot of FCS guys are too small, too weak, too positionally limited. But they may have everything else you see at this level.

At HBCUs, you always have 10 guys who are good enough to play on a P5 roster at some point of their careers. But they got to put it together physically or mentally, mostly mentally. You would be surprised how talented HBCUs are. HBCUs are generally more talented than the rest of the FCS. It's their issues with things like nutrition which cost money at this level, facilities which cost money, and funding which takes money that's the main issues. Budget wise, many HBCUs function like power JUCOs. It's a get it out the mud way of thought that doesn't exist within the FCS or FBS.

It's a lot but it works for them. It's not prefect but it works. As they say often, you can make it to the NFL from here. The issue is, you gotta be dominate or physically dominant. Because the presumption is, the quality is poor and while that is partially true, you are also playing with guys at that level too. Trenches are an issue everywhere for HBCUs but the OLs are better in the MEAC and the DLs are better in the SWAC.

It's a lot. The one thing about the HBCUs is its much better than you think. That's the biggest thing I've noticed and still obviously notice.

C'mon man this ain't a secret

Utah has a culture. Alabama has a culture. tOSU has a culture. Every good football team that also sustains success has a culture, CU has no culture and a HC who has said he doesn't care about culture and doesn't care if the team likes each other, that's bull****.
Could we all not agree that Colorado’s previous culture was Running the ball at altitude until the other team quit? Pounding people into submission.
That Culture took a 20 year hiatus except in 2016, but with our stadium and weather and grittiness, that was something to strive for in my eyes. We should always be the best conditioned team.

Could we all not agree that Colorado’s previous culture was Running the ball at altitude until the other team quit? Pounding people into submission.
That Culture took a 20 year hiatus except in 2016, but with our stadium and weather and grittiness, that was something to strive for in my eyes. We should always be the best conditioned team.
You know, that was our big strength early this season. We were the most well conditioned team. But then we started getting injured and our depth failed us. Look at UGA. The deepest team in the nation. Look how their depth does them. They get better as the season continues. Depth is so critical.

after watching the afternoon pac 12 games, anyone in this conference can win. we were close against some teams that looked so good today. we need to find our identity and upgrade starters at a few positions and depth, while building the team cohesiveness. the coaches will gel and get better—either through experience or upgrades—and i think we can be an 8-10 win team next year. i believe
I think this CU team would be top 3-4 in the 2017 pac-12

Prime said last night that this has been the most difficult stretch of his life. Now, I’m not sure if that’s hyperbole since he’s gone through some seriously bad **** at times in his life, but he said it. I think that the university showing him appreciation for what he’s already done for this institution and unwavering support for him and his vision during his lowest would be the kind of decision that we look back on a few years from now and view as the catalyst that earned Primes trust and loyalty to CU and has CU in the national conversation more often than not.
The school understands that he needs their support. Many “fans” on this site and others seem to forget that.

The school understands that he needs their support. Many “fans” on this site and others seem to forget that.
I totally support Prime, 110%
Gotta keep making improvements
Will he commit to a 10 year contract and promise to never leave, cause commitment and the fear of him leaving are pulling hard at each other.
CFB sucks

Yes but at the same time I think we were a bit overinflated after the win over a mediocre TCU team.
And that TCU squad was thought to be a solid top 25 team this year, down a bit from last year.

Instead, they are 5-6 and have to go to #14 OU next week for the unlikely attempt to become bowl eligible.

Their 5 wins are against Nichols, SMU, Houston, BYU, and Baylor. The last 3 are all 2-6 in conf play.

Attempted to listen to the DNVR show since I couldn’t watch the game, but the cope is just sad and cringe
I feel sorry for those guys having to do a post-game after such a terrible showing and beat down. I won’t be watching that episode.

Translation
  • Prime succeeding is the greatest thing ever for all of us
  • I want it to happen
  • I hope he makes all the correct player and coaching moves
  • He operates in a way that is one foot out the door to the next challenge and his children are done next year.
  • I will clear all posts with you first
Most other posters just tell you to stop posting. I’m the only one who bothered to tell you that you make no sense.

As for your post, Prime has stated that he’s here at Colorado to do this job. He has not acted with “one foot out the door.” He wants to win now. College football is a fickle business. A guy who signed a mega extension to an already extended agreement less than two years ago was fired for being slightly above average.

The relationship Prime has with CU is good.

Back