What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

We could raid the Incarnate Word roster....
Word Up GIF by Tiffany
word up GIF

Lunacy would be reading what I wrote, then deciphering that into me saying I would prefer a coach be hired to keep this class together.
That's why I typed "If you're suggesting..." To be frank it was a little unclear because you were saying:
  • Waiting until the end of the season would be bad because the recruiting class would be lackluster
  • Other schools were going to poach the top players from the current list of CU commits
  • If we signed a coach now, they could recruit (it wasn't clear to me if you meant recruit to stop the poaching or recruiting new players)
If CU signs a coach now ,they will be limited to HCs and assistants that aren't in-season. To do that in the name of a transition class would be pretty short-sighted IMO.

That's why I typed "If you're suggesting..." To be frank it was a little unclear because you were saying:
  • Waiting until the end of the season would be bad because the recruiting class would be lackluster
  • Other schools were going to poach the top players from the current list of CU commits
  • If we signed a coach now, they could recruit (it wasn't clear to me if you meant recruit to stop the poaching or recruiting new players)
If CU signs a coach now ,they will be limited to HCs and assistants that aren't in-season. To do that in the name of a transition class would be pretty short-sighted IMO.
I fully expect RG to screw this up, but 2-December feels like an absolute deadline.

Not that we would have heard about it by now, but if Mendenhall and Herman haven’t at least been contacted at this point, that’s dereliction of duty. It takes minimal effort to make the call.

Not that we would have heard about it by now, but if Mendenhall and Herman haven’t at least been contacted at this point, that’s dereliction of duty. It takes minimal effort to make the call.
That’s the hard part of this- we don’t know. I would hope there’s a lot going on behind the scenes with this coaching search. But while not likely, it’s not impossible to imagine them waiting to start the search until the season ends because……CU.

We were listening to KOA yesterday and in their news segment the guy mentioned Ryan Walters is a name being mentioned. But I think these reports are not based on any insider info. Just internet babble.

I would be supportive of that move. It may be a gamble given his youth and lack of HC experience. But he might be a guy that, if successful, would want to be a Buff for life type of coach a la Tad.

Last edited:
The next CU coach should focus on the transfer portal to rebuild his roster. Poach some kids from where he is currently and bring some recruits he is working with now to get a jump start. Look at Western Kentucky a couple years ago, they poached Bailey Zappe and Houston Baptist's best WR when they hired the Houston Baptist OC who is now at Texas Tech I think. For this reason, a current coordinator like Grimes might make a ton of sense instead of someone currently out of coaching.
Not allowed at CU because **** PDS

We were listening to KOA yesterday and in their news segment the guy mentioned Ryan Walters is a name being mentioned. But I think these reports are not based on any insider info. Just internet babble.

I would be supportive of that move. It may be a gamble given his youth and lack of HC experience. But he might be a guy that, if successful, would want to be a Buff for life type of coach a la Tad.
Nothing against Walters specifically, but I have to say, I am 100% ok with our next HC using this as a stepping stone to a bigger job. I’d almost prefer it if it means we’re going after the best coach possible and let the chips fall where they may in 3 years. I think we’re making a huge mistake if “someone who won’t leave us” is even a criteria at all.

The next CU HC is going to be a guy willing to take over what's undeniably the worst P5 program in the country, a program that has had institutional roadblocks to getting players (and transfer players) admitted for 20 years. It's a program with no natural geographic recruiting footprint and is situated in a demographic wasteland for "skill position" football talent. In addition, the CU program resides in a faltering conference with an uncertain future, the two most visible members of which have bolted for a conference that's 2 time zones away.

I think these points should be considered if CU hires a HC that some here will find underwhelming. Before any "but Mel Tucker!" folks weigh in, remember that he likely did little research and a) didn't know how tortuous the admissions process would be or b) was misled that it could be fixed/micromanaged.

The single most impactful event would be Todd Saliman unwinding the admission/transfer rules. The team needs to be rebuilt and the transfer portal (and JUCOs) will be key if the next coaching staff can use it. If not it will be more of the same as Buff fans yearn for a return to 6-6 and bids to early December bowl games named after Lawn Mowers, regional Insurance Companies, and greasy D-List Fast Food Chains. And the path to 6-6 under the current restrictions won't be fast, if at all.

Last edited:
Nothing against Walters specifically, but I have to say, I am 100% ok with our next HC using this as a stepping stone to a bigger job. I’d almost prefer it if it means we’re going after the best coach possible and let the chips fall where they may in 3 years. I think we’re making a huge mistake if “someone who won’t leave us” is even a criteria at all.
Yep. Lincoln Riley leaving OU and Brian Kelly leaving Notre Dame proved that just about every job in college football is a stepping stone job. If this is your priority, you've already lost.

The next CU HC is going to be a guy willing to take over what's undeniably the worst P5 program in the country, a program that has had institutional roadblocks to getting players (and transfer players) admitted for 20 years. It's a program with no natural geographic recruiting footprint and is situated in a demographic wasteland for "skill position" football talent. In addition, the CU program resides in a faltering conference with an uncertain future, the two most visible members of which have bolted for a conference that's 2 time zones away.

I think these points should be considered if CU hires a HC that some here will find underwhelming. Before any "but Mel Tucker!" folks weigh in, remember that he likely did little research and a) didn't know how tortuous the admissions process would be or b) was misled that it could be fixed/micromanaged.

The single most impactful event would be Todd Saliman unwinding the admission/transfer rules. The team needs to be rebuilt and the transfer portal (and JUCOs) will be key if the next coaching staff can use it. If not it will be more of the same as Buff fans yearn for a return to 6-6 and bids to early December bowl games named after Lawn Mowers, regional Insurance Companies, and greasy D-List Fast Food Chains. And the path to 6-6 under the current restrictions won't be fast, if at all.
The net net of all this is while we can discuss all the "top tier" coaching candidates until we're all blue in the face, we're not getting one. We'll get a P5 coordinator or an up and coming G5/FCS HC. End of story.

But it's fun to play make believe, right?

Yep. Lincoln Riley leaving OU proved that just about every job in college football is a stepping stone job. If this is your priority, you've already lost.
Every job.

It's not the job, it's the person and his values. Most coaches at this level are looking for the next challenge and chasing something bigger. Not many prioritize being a multi millionaire in a place they love and at which they have total job security. If CU can find its Whittingham or Ferentz (or Few to make a hoops reference), that would be awesome. But it's a bit of a unicorn to find someone who is both driven like you need but also satisfied at where they are & what they have.

P.S. There's also a lot of pressure from their agents and peers to drive up the market value for the HC job by jumping for pay upgrades. With that, there's very little loyalty from the employer. How quickly did we turn on MM after COY award and a 10-win season? He was looking, so I'm not talking about RG turning. We fans were over him quickly - 1 year after his big season - despite putting out the dumpster fire he inherited and then having success. No wonder coaches think it's best to get out when their market value is high.

Last edited:
Texas Tech has pretty decent football and basketball programs, right? On my way back from my reunion in San Angelo I drove through Lubbock. I mean, come on! You cannot convince me that we cannot recruit to Boulder. CU is just waiting for the chemical components that will be the perfect ingredients to ignite this program. I believe that!

Do you think it’s possible that it won’t take so long? With the right rules for transfers, things could turn more quickly from this 0-12 mess to a great season or at least respectable in a couple of years.

Won’t the retirement of our current chancellor/hiring of a new chancellor, combined with a new head coach, along with the strong support of CU football by our new CU President be the right combination? This gives our AD a chance to bring this all together.

Yep. Lincoln Riley leaving OU and Brian Kelly leaving Notre Dame proved that just about every job in college football is a stepping stone job. If this is your priority, you've already lost.
It is no longer stepping from one lesser school to a better school (or blue blood), it is now just stepping from one paycheck to a bigger paycheck. The school no longer matters, IMO

Every job.

It's not the job, it's the person and his values. Most coaches at this level are looking for the next challenge and chasing something bigger. Not many prioritize being a multi millionaire in a place they love and at which they have total job security. If CU can find its Whittingham or Ferentz (or Few to make a hoops reference), that would be awesome. But it's a bit of a unicorn to find someone who is both driven like you need but also satisfied at where they are & what they have.

P.S. There's also a lot of pressure from their agents and peers to drive up the market value for the HC job by jumping for pay upgrades. With that, there's very little loyalty from the employer. How quickly did we turn on MM after COY award and a 10-win season? He was looking, so I'm not talking about RG turning. We fans were over him quickly - 1 year after his big season - despite putting out the dumpster fire he inherited and then having success. No wonder coaches think it's best to get out when their market value is high.
I could see one possible exception out of the names we've talked about-Mendenhall. Definitely a dude who wants to retire out here. Regardless, all we can do is make the buyout if the coach wants to leave the rest of the contract (just like firing Karl) and go from there.

Do you think it’s possible that it won’t take so long? With the right rules for transfers, things could turn more quickly from this 0-12 mess to a great season or at least respectable in a couple of years.

Won’t the retirement of our current chancellor/hiring of a new chancellor, combined with a new head coach, along with the strong support of CU football by our new CU President be the right combination? This gives our AD a chance to bring this all together.
It's a 2-year process to go from horrible to competitive with a middling record these days. I think you can see a breakthrough blip year within 3-5 years. Getting to the point where it's sustained excellence and reloading is, I believe, a 5+ year build.

Every job.

No CU fan should ever have an axe to grind with MacIntyre. He’s a coach that you buy his dinner if you see him at a random restaurant in St, Croix on vacation.

It is no longer stepping from one lesser school to a better school (or blue blood), it is now just stepping from one paycheck to a bigger paycheck. The school no longer matters, IMO
Riley and Kelly left primarily because they saw the ceiling at each School and knew they simply couldn't get any further. Is a coach leaving for a larger pay day any different now than say 15 years ago? I mean, the money is larger, but coaches have always left for higher paying jobs.

I could see one possible exception out of the names we've talked about-Mendenhall. Definitely a dude who wants to retire out here. Regardless, all we can do is make the buyout if the coach wants to leave the rest of the contract (just like firing Karl) and go from there.
I am still leery of a guy who has announced he is a burn out. IMO, there is a big risk he starts like a fireball and flames out when he decides he was right about being a burnout. We already had a near retiree with low to no energy/persona.

I am still leery of a guy who has announced he is a burn out. IMO, there is a big risk he starts like a fireball and flames out when he decides he was right about being a burnout. We already had a near retiree with low to no energy/persona.
Valid point that we don’t want a low or no energy coach. Seems like he’s pretty active on the sidelines and in the games. And maybe he realized that he belongs in the West and the Rocky Mountains, and not on the east coast? think him coming to Boulder could be a huge positive for him and us. He’d be less likely to leave too if his roots are in the West.

I don't share your definition of burnout at all.

If someone has been a successful CEO for 17 years at 2 different organizations, I have no issue with him taking a year to spend time with family and decide what he wants to take on as the next challenge in his professional life.

A burnout, to me, is someone who crashes from the pressure & stress and either self-destructs or starts mailing things in. That doesn't describe Bronco at all.

I don't share your definition of burnout at all.

If someone has been a successful CEO for 17 years at 2 different organizations, I have no issue with him taking a year to spend time with family and decide what he wants to take on as the next challenge in his professional life.

A burnout, to me, is someone who crashes from the pressure & stress and either self-destructs or starts mailing things in. That doesn't describe Bronco at all.
“I've been a head coach for 17 years in a row, I was an assistant 11 before then,” Mendenhall said. “And I was a graduate assistant two years before then. And that's 31 years straight of football.

And, so, it's 31 years of straight football. And my wife and I will have been married 25 years in March. All we've known together is the rhythm of a football season. That's all my kids have known. And this January all three will be gone. And Holly and I are empty-nesters. And all they've known is the rhythm and cycle of football. And we know what that looks like really, really well.

And I would love to say there's been this buildup and a long amount of epiphanies and thought, but clearly this week there was a sense of clarity to me that I needed to step back from college football and reassess, renew, reframe and reinvent, with my wife as a partner, our future and the next chapter of our lives.”

That doesn't give you pause?

Sure, I can see stepping away, but I think it foolhardy not to be concerned he might have another "epiphany" a year or two down the road.

Grimes And Herman are officially my top two... Is there a world where either of them could lure Walters as DC or is his next Gig HC?

“I've been a head coach for 17 years in a row, I was an assistant 11 before then,” Mendenhall said. “And I was a graduate assistant two years before then. And that's 31 years straight of football.

And, so, it's 31 years of straight football. And my wife and I will have been married 25 years in March. All we've known together is the rhythm of a football season. That's all my kids have known. And this January all three will be gone. And Holly and I are empty-nesters. And all they've known is the rhythm and cycle of football. And we know what that looks like really, really well.

And I would love to say there's been this buildup and a long amount of epiphanies and thought, but clearly this week there was a sense of clarity to me that I needed to step back from college football and reassess, renew, reframe and reinvent, with my wife as a partner, our future and the next chapter of our lives.”

Sure, I can see stepping away, but I think it foolhardy not to be concerned he might have another "epiphany" a year or two down the road.
Doesn't give me pause in the least.

We see coaches get fired and take a year or two as analysts or media people. No one bats an eye as those guys re-set instead of immediately jumping back in.

Why do you have a problem with a guy leaving a job on his own terms to take care of family and do some introspection for a year, coinciding with the huge change to their lives of becoming empty nesters? All I see is someone who has his sh!t together and is recharged in knowing that being a HC is what he is supposed to be doing with his life with his support network fully on board with his career.

Or worse yet, that he strives for a more balanced life while trying to be a head football coach. I’m a big believer in having work/life balance…except when it comes to being the head coach of a team I root for. All joking aside, if you hire Bronco, you want the guy who was successful at BYU and UVA, not the new Bronco who has a different perspective on what’s important and different priorities. That may sound harsh because these coaches are people, but this is a tough business.

I see that totally different than you. Notice he didn’t describe that he has gradually become less interested in coaching? That doesn’t sound like burnout to me.

I just get the sense that he really belongs in the West.

I also feel like he is the kind of person who wouldn’t take the CU job unless he was really all in on it.

Back