What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

Both conferences have similar (and small) media shares from the conferences, about $500,000 per team. https://www.on3.com/news/conference-tv-deals-current-status-college-football/

Historically the Sun Belt has been the lowest status BCS level teams.

We are heading into a time though when almost all the conference contracts will be coming up at once. Based on the markets they are in the Sun Belt looks to be better placed than C-USA. Also with some teams building success the Sun Belt looks to have more national appeal

Louisiana finished the season ranked, Coastal Carolina was ranked much of the season, Appalachian State has been ranked has been one of the better G5 programs.

C-USA has multiple programs that are sinking or have sunk.

Prospects for future contracts are in favor of the Sun Belt

Simply put Sun Belt has the ESPN family of channels including ESPN+. C-USA has CBS Sports Network and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the SBC has the better media rights deal even if the per school payout is the same.

It's also very obvious how both conferences treat football. It just makes no sense to treat football as a second class citizen when it is the sport that makes up a significant chunk of the valuation of media rights deals.

Simply put Sun Belt has the ESPN family of channels including ESPN+. C-USA has CBS Sports Network and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the SBC has the better media rights deal even if the per school payout is the same.

It's also very obvious how both conferences treat football. It just makes no sense to treat football as a second class citizen when it is the sport that makes up a significant chunk of the valuation of media rights deals.
Money drives the whole thing.

As I stated the money is fairly equal, for right now. The expectation among those schools making the move is that won't be the case in the future. As new contracts for media rights come up in the next few years it certainly appears that the SBC is in a position to jump ahead of C-USA on a per team basis by a significant enough margin to make moving worthwhile.

Also with more high profile teams in the SBC this should mean more exposure for all the teams in the future, a significant value in itself.

Money drives the whole thing.

As I stated the money is fairly equal, for right now. The expectation among those schools making the move is that won't be the case in the future. As new contracts for media rights come up in the next few years it certainly appears that the SBC is in a position to jump ahead of C-USA on a per team basis by a significant enough margin to make moving worthwhile.

Also with more high profile teams in the SBC this should mean more exposure for all the teams in the future, a significant value in itself.

The current SBC media rights deal expires in 2030-31 academic year so it's more like a renegotiation of their media rights that would have to happen and ESPN is not obligated to do that. Even if that was to happen, it's unlikely that the SBC will earn more than the MWC but only BB2 would argue that the C-USA would still have the better deal after such a scenario.

What the SBC is doing right in this case is making sure that the fans are able to travel to other venues and ticket revenue for G5 schools will pretty much exceed the value of such media rights deal. Rivalries appear to be important in that case too. That is why improving the football product is very important and does not appear to be the approach C-USA has taken for so long. That is why the P12 commissioner has a difficult job in convincing P12 presidents & chancellors in why football must be improved even after the conference collectively has spent over $1B improving athletic facilities.

And yes having the ESPN deal is more for exposure than income especially since the schools would be responsible for paying for those ESPN+ broadcasts. What I have noticed from some FCS and G5 broadcasts is that the school hires a local channel to televise the games and that costs money unless they do it in-house which still costs money. Given what I have read about such costs, the SBC schools are actually losing money from that ESPN deal. There is very likely no other alternative to that except get exposure and improve the football product. This is where the P12 Network fails the P12 schools because given the amounts that have been reported, there's no way the P12 schools are making money off the P12N portion. That makes the decision for the P12 to reject an offer from ESPN to take over the P12 via ESPN+ with a new longer term deal appears to be puzzling but experts have said that was still the right move for the P12. I'm pretty skeptical on that myself.

Hardly surprising. Sucks having Texas honks in my family. A better name for them would be Delusions of Grandeur University.
I have a bunch of UT alum friends (a bunch of people I grew up with went there). They say the same thing. It makes me laugh.

TwIL (this week) that ESPN+ comes with Hulu live. But you have to watch it in the Hulu app. You can’t use the ESPN app.

When do we retitle this thread to B1G and SEC announce merger and creation of non NCAA Super conference funded by ESPN?

When do we retitle this thread to B1G and SEC announce merger and creation of non NCAA Super conference funded by ESPN?
I honestly don’t see that happening. The B1G loves its traditions, and I think they view what the SEC is doing as a threat to their legacy. I can see the SEC trying to siphon off teams like Clemson, FSU, Miami and a few others to create a 24-32 team super conference that would effectively be an NFL minor league. It gets tricky with all the other sports, though. You think Kentucky is going to want to exist in a league where they can’t compete for a recognized national championship in basketball? Or Tennessees womens basketball program?

I honestly don’t see that happening. The B1G loves its traditions, and I think they view what the SEC is doing as a threat to their legacy. I can see the SEC trying to siphon off teams like Clemson, FSU, Miami and a few others to create a 24-32 team super conference that would effectively be an NFL minor league. It gets tricky with all the other sports, though. You think Kentucky is going to want to exist in a league where they can’t compete for a recognized national championship in basketball? Or Tennessees womens basketball program?
Yes- if it means more money.

Ironically the only other Buffaloes in American sports.
Umm, The Buffalo Bills, man!! Buffalo Sabers! SUNY Buffalo - Buffalo Bulls!

But great factoid about WTA&M. I did not know that.

Last edited:
You might want to hold off on saying the WAC is back since one school is going back to the Southland.

I'm almost ready to fully commit to FCS football this upcoming season due to the state CU football is in. Guess the FCS thread will make its return.

Mother got a master's from West Texas A&M and father went to CU until he had to withdraw from school to help pay the bills at home. I must have been destined to be a Buffs/Bison/Herd fan.

I was giving my UW alumni buddy a bad time about the UDub mascot being a malamute and not a real husky. I told him that obviously if they can’t get their mascot right that the entire school was a fraud.

Later he pointed out to me that our beloved Ralphie was not a buffalo but in fact an American Bison.

I told him to STFU!

carry on

I was giving my UW alumni buddy a bad time about the UDub mascot being a malamute and not a real husky. I told him that obviously if they can’t get their mascot right that the entire school was a fraud.

Later he pointed out to me that our beloved Ralphie was not a buffalo but in fact an American Bison.

I told him to STFU!

carry on

At least not as fake as the CSU live mascot.

Back