What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

holy hell! what time in the game was pic #1 taken? that's a **** ton of empty seats.

Pic 2 looks like halftime or before kickoff? at least I hope.
Judging by the score and scoreboard, I’m going with 17 min before kickoff. Soooo, standard CU.

We’re debating because all this is speculation and no one knows what’s going to happen. In the absence of actual knowledge, we argue about things we don’t really understand.

If Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington are the most likely targets if the BIG wanted to expand, who would be next on their list and why?

And there's a fair amount of garbage on social media too. I mean some idiot in his underwear could start talking about how the Pac 12 is interested in CSU on twitter and people would buy it.

If the B1G decides to raid the Pac 12 for 4-6 teams and CU isn't included, the only outcome would be for the leftovers and Big 12 scraps to form their own conference that probably wouldn't be P5 status (although I don't know who determines that), or all the leftovers just get relegated to G5 conferences like AAC and MWC.

If B1G takes the 4 Cali schools and Oregon and UW, is this a viable 14 team P5 (P4?) conference?

Washington State
Oregon State
Utah
Colorado
Arizona
Arizona State
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Baylor
TTU
WVU
TCU

I believe there would be 16 teams in that case and four pods.

NW: WSU, ORSU, Utah, and Boise State.
NE: CU, KU, KSU, and ISU.
SW: San Diego State, UA, ASU, and UNLV.
SE: OSU, TT, BU, and TCU.

Three games against your pod-mates and then two against every pod for football.
Home and Home against your own pod in basketball and then one against each team for a total of 18 games. If there is more conference games needed, that can be done.

WVU would not join because the money wouldn't be as great and they would just go join the AAC.

Judging by the score and scoreboard, I’m going with 17 min before kickoff. Soooo, standard CU.
res is low, but it looks like both teams and officials are on the same side of the field in a play formation, and fans pumping their fists in the air like a big play just happened. I can't see a scoreboard -- are you maybe talking about pic #2?

res is low, but it looks like both teams and officials are on the same side of the field in a play formation, and fans pumping their fists in the air like a big play just happened. I can't see a scoreboard -- are you maybe talking about pic #2?
Yes, pic 2.

And there's a fair amount of garbage on social media too. I mean some idiot in his underwear could start talking about how the Pac 12 is interested in CSU on twitter and people would buy it.
Where there's smoke there's usually fire. And there are quite a few legitimate sources saying conferences, including Big 10, are looking to make moves and fast. USC is where the conversations starts and ends, and its not crazy to think UCLA, Oregon, and CU (the first teams mentioned / linked) or Cal, Stanford, and Arizona schools are the ones Big Ten would also target if they wanted to poach Pac teams in the coming days or weeks. While this is mostly speculation until we hear something more concrete, its reasonable guesswork and makes sense as a counter to SEC if they are wanting to make a move quickly. It's about getting ahead of it now and then ironing out later I would think (including potential for full Pac / B1G merger in the future). Add the fact that Fox owns a chunk of the media rights for both Pac and Big Ten, and its really not that crazy at all to speculate about. Likely, Fox will be calling the shots and pushing for expansion since it will be the one footing the bill. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

This assumes they go with the pod scenario and we get put in the Pac pod and not the farmer's pod of Iowa, ****braska, KU (maybe), Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, etc. If we get stuck in the farmer's pod, then yes I agree that's not a good culture fit and I'd have to consider whether that would be better than sticking with what remains of Pac and any teams they add.
Get the **** out of here with this nonsense. Let's stop talking about culture fits and ****ty road trips. Nebraska is more of a rival than pretty much anybody in the Pac 12 is for CU. If we get a B1G invite, we need to accept it-regardless of what USC or anybody else in the Pac 12 does.

Dodd mentions CU here-the idea that the B1G's push west includes LA, Seattle, and maybe Portland but not Denver (IDGAF about Phoenix) seems a little odd.

Last edited:
If we’re going to stick with the Stanford (or other California schools) going to the B1G, one thing to consider is that a lot of these schools fancy themselves as high profile institutions - Mich, Wisc, Ohio St, Penn Stat, etc. Problem is - you invite Stanford, UCLA, and Cal; every single one of those schools jumps ALL current B1G in academic/university rankings. Not sure they want that.

If we’re going to stick with the Stanford (or other California schools) going to the B1G, one thing to consider is that a lot of these schools fancy themselves as high profile institutions - Mich, Wisc, Ohio St, Penn Stat, etc. Problem is - you invite Stanford, UCLA, and Cal; every single one of those schools jumps ALL current B1G in academic/university rankings. Not sure they want that.

I don't think the school presidents care about their academic rank in the B1G but rather overall so I think it's more of the opposite and they'd be happy to be associated with them.

You serious?

That’s great if true and I hope you’re right. How do you know it is? And why do they have a vary favorable outlook of CU (again compared to available alternatives)?
I think you are misconstruing CU as a tier 1 fit, which they are not. However, they are in that next tier and are viewed very favorably in that realm, which will be involved with the next round of expansion.
  1. AAU Member (it is still a big thing for Big 10 presidents whether you or anyone else wants to believe it).
  2. Alumni base is large in Chicago and surrounding areas.
  3. CU and Nebraska fit as rivals (you want each School to have that natural rivalry within your conference as seen with the last two times these teams played)
  4. CU's standing as a league member in the Big 12 and Pac 12 is looked at in high regards (their chancellor and AD are very much involved in big picture items within college athletics and will do what's best for their conference. This is what RG is very, very good at and very well could get CU in that mix if this all materializes).
  5. CU brings a big portion of the Mountain time zone and is a massive sell to other Big 10 Schools who have large alumni bases in the Denver metro area.
  6. CU has shown the commitment if it can win, the support is there (CU expanded football facilities at an all time low for the program).
I think we look at CU with all of these warts because we are so close to them and think they are bigger than they are (which football highlights in the last 15 or so years). Go on any Schools board and the same stuff is talked about. I think you'd be surprised at how well CU is looked at within the Big 10's fan bases.

It is almost like some here are not even slightly concerned about cultural fit. I won't even start on the ****ty road trips...

Didn't you like it better when CU was different in the Big 8 as opposed to being just another school in the P12?

If the B1G decides to raid the Pac 12 for 4-6 teams and CU isn't included, the only outcome would be for the leftovers and Big 12 scraps to form their own conference that probably wouldn't be P5 status (although I don't know who determines that), or all the leftovers just get relegated to G5 conferences like AAC and MWC.

If B1G takes the 4 Cali schools and Oregon and UW, is this a viable 14 team P5 (P4?) conference?

Washington State
Oregon State
Utah
Colorado
Arizona
Arizona State
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Baylor
TTU
WVU
TCU
PG4.5

I think you are misconstruing CU as a tier 1 fit, which they are not. However, they are in that next tier and are viewed very favorably in that realm, which will be involved with the next round of expansion.
  1. AAU Member (it is still a big thing for Big 10 presidents whether you or anyone else wants to believe it).
  3. CU and ****braska fit as rivals (you want each School to have that natural rivalry within your conference as seen with the last two times these teams played)
  4. CU's standing as a league member in the Big 12 and Pac 12 is looked at in high regards (their chancellor and AD are very much involved in big picture items within college athletics and will do what's best for their conference. This is what RG is very, very good at and very well could get CU in that mix if this all materializes).
  5. CU brings a big portion of the Mountain time zone and is a massive sell to other Big 10 Schools who have large alumni bases in the Denver metro area.
  6. CU has shown the commitment if it can win, the support is there (CU expanded football facilities at an all time low for the program).
I think we look at CU with all of these warts because we are so close to them and think they are bigger than they are (which football highlights in the last 15 or so years). Go on any Schools board and the same stuff is talked about. I think you'd be surprised at how well CU is looked at within the Big 10's fan bases.

Okay, you convinced me. CU is going to the Big Ten and Rodgers will be a Bronco next offseason!

Let's discuss how to spend that money in the other thread I just opened.

Not a surprise. Only remaining question is OU coming up with the cash unless a deal has been made with the SEC to have the SEC pay the Big 12 off then OU gets full SEC payouts about five years down the road. SEC and ESPN announced their new deal on December 10, 2020. SEC would have gotten a lump sum from ESPN much like the P12 did with their media partners to establish the P12N. I think any talk that TV does not have any sway over conferences can just die.

3. CU and ****braska fit as rivals (you want each School to have that natural rivalry within your conference as seen with the last two times these teams played)

Let's add Boulder is really fun to this list too.

Washington State
Oregon State
Utah
Colorado
Arizona
Arizona State
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Baylor
TTU
WVU
TCU
That would be a second rate conference.

Thanks for the response. I’m not misconstruing CU’s place at all - I firmly believe CU would be in the discussion with schools like Stanford, Cal, Iowa St, Utah WVU, Kansas, UVA, Georgia Tech etc as options after the USC, UCLA, UW, and Oregon’s. So how do we stack up against those schools?

1. Every school I mentioned aside from WVU is AAU, so no real advantage there.

2. I’ll take your word on the Chicago alumni numbers and how much that really matters. Most of our alumni are in the west coast and now we’re talking about leaving.

3. Old rivalries are a good reason. Is CU/NU more attractive than Iowa/NU is now? Probably so, but Cal/Stanford, Iowa/Iowa St are pretty attractive from a rivalry standpoint also.

4. Not sure what you mean with this one. Is this that we’re a good soldier within the conference? I can’t really speak to whether we are better in this regard than any of the other schools mentioned. None of them strike me as problematic. DiStefano was in a position in leadership within the conference and I wonder whether that’s a good or bad thing in hindsight. Would USC, UW, etc agree that CU did a good job with that responsibility? I don’t know. USC does have an AD who CU fired once upon a time, but hopefully that’s a non-issue.

5. I thought media market and geography wasn’t really that important. What does “bringing a big portion of the mountain time zone” really mean in practical terms?

6. Stanford built a new stadium, Cal completed a massive facilities project, Utah and Iowa State are in the middle of or have completed big facilities projects. It was great that CU got the champions center built but that doesn’t set us apart, it just eliminates a huge, glaring weakness.

I’m not down on CU at all, I’m trying to see how we might compare against other options to an outsider or the BIG 10 powers that be. Where do we really stand above the others?

Last edited:
I mean some idiot in his underwear could start talking about how the Pac 12 is interested in CSU on twitter and people would buy it.

1.jpg

From my perspective, status quo is the most preferred option. I also think that’s unlikely. The PAC picking up 4 schools from the Big 12 leftovers is better. A merger of the B1G and PAC is preferable. All of those options retain some semblance of the conference we are currently in, which to me is preferable to blowing up the PAC and going to the B1G with a few other handpicked schools.
I'd prefer to go back to the late 80s early 90s when we were kicking everyone around but that's not happening.

We are in the middle of college football completely recreating itself. Will we be a part of it.

A bunch of schools that want to be won't be.

The status quo is no longer an option.

Beggars can't be choosers.

Unless the B1G takes us, I think we are finished and any chance we ever had of being somewhat relevant again is gone.
From a PAC standpoint I think USC and Oregon are gone.

If we are stuck with the leftovers even adding a bunch of B12 leftovers we will be a conference that is much more similar in respect and money to the MWC than to the B1G.

Back