What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

now I'm not following your logic.

East coast and CTZ teams are happy to play games w/ 8PM ET/CT kickoffs.
we've discussed ad nauseum on this board how the Pac's "late night" strategy of 8PM MT/PT games wasn't working.

but you're seemingly suggesting the Pac is getting stronger because no one else can provide 8PM MT games?
No, I’m saying that one of the providers of late games has been taken off the table. There’s one fewer conference to structure deals with. That particular conference provided much of the same content that we did.

I think it is definitely possible. It could also add value to the other members. Having only 2 power conference teams in Texas (OU had a huge presence in there too) is way too light, imo. It is a long term play on those schools to take them to another level in what I would say is the biggest football state in the country. Getting programs like oregon, Washington, usc and ucla in front of those people on a yearly basis is also going to help them tremendously so it’s not only about what those schools mean individually.

Fair enough, but it is a gamble.

We’re thinking about this wrong - the Pac12 should be bold right now and here’s what they should do:

Offer Pac12 membership to Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, Iowa, Minnesota, ****braska, and Wisconsin.

We control our own destiny by creating a 20 team conference that allows the BIG to move west which is the path of growth in this country, and leave behind Maryland and Rutgers. The BIG is in the power seat because they have the lucrative media deal, but that money follows those programs west.

They lose a couple rivalries:

lilbuck trophy (Illinois/tOSU)
Old Brass Spittoon (Indiana/MSU)
George Jewett Trophy (Michigan/NW)

But they have like 30 rivalry trophies and no one cares about these 3.

Time for the new commish to be bold!!

Look what happened when Porsche tried to take over Volkswagen. Tread carefully.

I like your reasoning, but I also think there simply isn't enough interest in college sports in the Western US to increase the Pac-12's value notably.

College sports as we knew it is dead. For the rest of my time on earth, I'm going to just enjoy watching college sports regardless of conference affiliation.

I think it is definitely possible. It could also add value to the other members. Having only 2 power conference teams in Texas (OU had a huge presence in there too) is way too light, imo. It is a long term play on those schools to take them to another level in what I would say is the biggest football state in the country. Getting programs like oregon, Washington, usc and ucla in front of those people on a yearly basis is also going to help them tremendously so it’s not only about what those schools mean individually.
Yeah, going into Texas and getting TCU, Houston, SMU and TTU (for example) wouldn't necessarily add value in the short term, but it's definitely something that should help recruiting for the entire conference over 5-7 years, and therefore increase the level of play. Problem is, will it pay off for the "Pac 16" quick enough before more major change happens?

As onealcd said, and something I didn't really think about, having to fill the prime FOX game slots that used to be filled by Texas and OU should mean an increase in revenue to the Pac 12. However, on a relative basis, the Pac 12 likely won't gain a ton of ground on the B1G or SEC in that regard as ESPN is going all in with SEC and FOX will likely give a lot of the Big 12 money to the B1G.

Where does CBS eventually fit into all this? I think the Pac 12 and B1G need to make a big push for that distribution as well as soon as their tier 1 rights with SEC expire.

FOX holds the cards now. ESPN has made its move and I can see ESPN going all in on the SEC and (perhaps most importantly) an expanded playoff and leaving the B1G to FOX. I think Wilner laid it out well.

But with the B1G partnering with FOX for BTN FOX and the B1G are probably joint at the hip like ESPN and the SEC.

It'd help if the playoff had multiple TV partners and if the P12 was partnered with say NBC or CBS like the other two are with ESPN and FOX.

We’re thinking about this wrong - the Pac12 should be bold right now and here’s what they should do:

Offer Pac12 membership to Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, Iowa, Minnesota, ****braska, and Wisconsin.

We control our own destiny by creating a 20 team conference that allows the BIG to move west which is the path of growth in this country, and leave behind Maryland and Rutgers. The BIG is in the power seat because they have the lucrative media deal, but that money follows those programs west.

They lose a couple rivalries:

lilbuck trophy (Illinois/tOSU)
Old Brass Spittoon (Indiana/MSU)
George Jewett Trophy (Michigan/NW)

But they have like 30 rivalry trophies and no one cares about these 3.

Time for the new commish to be bold!!
Interesting idea but I think it would be a non-starter as far as those B1G schools are concerned. I’d also argue that the path of growth is more to the Southeast, VA, and the Carolinas than to the Pacific Coast states. The PAC12, except for Colorado and to an extent Utah, is geographically stranded and culturally stranded when it comes to football interest. The PAC12’s straits are much more dire than those of the B1G right now. I like to concept of seizing momentum but I ain’t seeing it in this case.

this.

i don't see the p12 raiding the big 10.

i am hoping best case, the b10 decides to pull CU and maybe ku.

yep, if that doesnt happen we need to hope the cards fall the right way in the tv right negotiations so we can by some miracle gain some ground on the b1g and close the gap.

Don’t shoot me for saying this, but bailer has to be part of any discussion of adding Texas schools. They’re hypocritical criminal sleazebags, but they probably carry as much or more weight in Texas than any of the other programs we are talking about.

I need to go take a shower now.

this.

i don't see the p12 raiding the big 10.

i am hoping best case, the b10 decides to pull CU and maybe ku.
Imagine you’ve combined the cream of the crop from both conferences, but you still want to get to 20 schools. You have to chose one of the following 6 packs to include in your conference:

Colorado
Utah
Arizona
ASU
Wazzu
Oregon State

or:

Rutgers
Maryland
Illinois
Purdue
Indiana
Northwestern

which do you choose? If the bottom 3rd of the PAC is more attractive than the bottom 3rd of the BIG then maybe we should be doing the poaching!!

the small fish tried to eat the big fish and the small fish ended up getting eaten by the big fish

hint: the p12 isnt the big fish compared to the b1g
A 12 school conference absorbs 8 from the another conference. We’re the big fish damnit! Crocodiles eat elephants all the time - just make sure you have a bunch of friends and chew slowly.

Imagine you’ve combined the cream of the crop from both conferences, but you still want to get to 20 schools. You have to chose one of the following 6 packs to include in your conference:

Colorado
Utah
Arizona
ASU
Wazzu
Oregon State

or:

Rutgers
Maryland
Illinois
Purdue
Indiana
Northwestern

which do you choose? If the bottom 3rd of the PAC is more attractive than the bottom 3rd of the BIG then maybe we should be doing the poaching!!
It is a bold move, but it's also one that can (likely) only be made when you're closer to the media contract expirations/negotiations.

If FOX wanted to make it happen, they could.

Of course, you're starting from the premise that neither conference would jettison members, which may be a fair premise.

Which option produces the biggest TV contract?

Option 1: B1G absorbs top of PAC
Option 2: PAC absorbs top of B1G
Option 3: Top 2/3 of both leagues create new superconference
Option 4: PAC & B1G create some sort of alliance

Option 3 is probably the most valuable, but is, by far, the hardest to coordinate. Between 1 & 2, I just don't know which one would be more valuable - it's not an easy call.

Option 4 could be structured so many ways, it's hard to say what the TV contracts could be (and do you do any sort of revenue share?). As one of many possible options, I think a relegation setup with upper/lower divisions in each conference and a coordinated scheduling arrangement between conferences could produce some great early season games between heavyweights (creating value), and you'd get some compelling late season games between unranked teams - (adding value to games that are currently nearly valueless in broadcast terms).

It is a bold move, but it's also one that can (likely) only be made when you're closer to the media contract expirations/negotiations.

Of course, you're starting from the premise that neither conference would jettison members, which may be a fair premise.

Option 3 is probably the most valuable, but is, by far, the hardest to coordinate. Between 1 & 2, I just don't know which one would be more valuable - it's not an easy call.

Option 4 could be structured so many ways, it's hard to say what the TV contracts could be (and do you do any sort of revenue share?). As one of many possible options, I think a relegation setup with upper/lower divisions in each conference and a coordinated scheduling arrangement between conferences could produce some great early season games between heavyweights (creating value), and you'd get some compelling late season games between unranked teams - (adding value to games that are currently nearly valueless in broadcast terms).
Option 3 would be the most valuable, but puts CU at risk of being on the outside looking in.

Option 2 is best for CU which is all I really care about.

I know what I’m suggesting won’t happen but I believe the group that moves first is more likely to preserve itself and maintain control of their conference and I want that to be the Pac.

Pac and Big need to partner ASAP and play 2 non-conf every year….and first 4 years of deal every top tier possibility needs on schedule with a big matchup every week at prime time slot (OSU-USC, UO-PSU, UW-Mich, CU-Wisc…)

Went over the the Kansas 247 board and those guys seem awfully confident for school with multiple recent ongoing AD scandals and the worst P5 football program of the past decade considering they are facing an existential crisis for the athletic department. I'm pretty sure even Rutgers has had more success in football over a the past 10 - 12 years. They seem to think no statement from KU yet means they have a landing place already lined up and its likely the B1G...but I just don't see how that could be the case without a partner, and I doubt its ISU given ISU's hostage-crisis style video their leadership released yesterday.

Considering school size, home metro and academics - my guess is that if the Pac is considering a move to 14 that it would be KU and UH at the top of the list.

16 would add TTU and OSU.

Went over the the Kansas 247 board and those guys seem awfully confident for school with multiple recent ongoing AD scandals and the worst P5 football program of the past decade considering they are facing an existential crisis for the athletic department. I'm pretty sure even Rutgers has had more success in football over a the past 10 - 12 years. They seem to think no statement from KU yet means they have a landing place already lined up and its likely the B1G...but I just don't see how that could be the case without a partner, and I doubt its ISU given ISU's hostage-crisis style video their leadership released yesterday.
Kansas has been part of a conference with unequal distributions for a while - would they (for example) take a 50% share to join the BIG? Would probably still be more than what they’d be left with in the Big 12.

If a B1G-PAC alliance is in the cards, then both conferences having the same number of schools makes sense. If the B1G doesn't expand, then I think the Pac-12 should add TTU and OSU and drop to 8 conference games, with two weeks reserved for a B1G - PAC crossover games

I’m interested in understanding how it strengthens the P12 position. Because one less conference to compete with? That just seems like shifting the Big 12 TV money to SEC TV money, not more for Pac 12

I think thats exactly what it means. When the P5 becomes the P4 thats one less mouth at the table to feed with roughly the same amount for Network TV to spend that has to go somewhere.

The only question is who buys the content and for how much? ESPN wins with this UT OU move for their SEC brand and Fox loses (Big XII implosion) something. CBS is also exiting its coverage of the SEC having been outbid by ESPN. So in theory CBS and Fox could suddenly be more interested in the Pac 12 Because they will both need to add content.

In my mind Fox sewing together the two conferences as traditional Rose Bowl rivals with it’s coverage has some compelling marketing narratives. Especially if they can engineer an out of conference matchup each weekend throughout the season. Combining the Pac 12 Nets and B1G Ten Nets into one place also could make things more interesting. Right now the B1G is also watching ESPN swallow up more and more things. And the more they do that the less time they have to put the B1G on TV. Less time on TV diminishes brand recognition. If you can go 100% to Fox who will put a lot more of your games in the best time slots then ESPN why wouldnt you? Money, sure.

Last edited:
If a B1G-PAC alliance is in the cards, then both conferences having the same number of schools makes sense. If the B1G doesn't expand, then I think the Pac-12 should add TTU and OSU and drop to 8 conference games, with two weeks reserved for a B1G - PAC crossover games
Agreed, but I don't thing the tortilla flingers add much. I'd do OK St and Kansas personally.

Don’t shoot me for saying this, but bailer has to be part of any discussion of adding Texas schools. They’re hypocritical criminal sleazebags, but they probably carry as much or more weight in Texas than any of the other programs we are talking about.

I need to go take a shower now.
John Oliver No Fucking Way GIF by Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

If you weren't terrified before you definitely need to be now as an ISU fan.

:LOL:

Back