What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

Larry Scott is somewhere looking at that bolded list like
up to something plotting GIF

Also, I recall hearing a bunch of the same **** when they got left behind back when CU/MU/A&M/nubs bolted about 12 years ago.

Once again, what does KU bring to the table in any conference? Their football program drives more revenue than their MBB program, which is why MBB is irrelevant in this discussion.
Actually one of the higher revenue athletic departments in the country. If we are entering the age of streaming, that's a school with the type of following which can add significant value. KC is also about the same size as Vegas as a media market, too.

Probably has more to do with the opponent than UK. When LSU, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia come to town, they bring a lot of their own fans with them.

UK has very good support for their football program without help from visiting fans. Nothing like their neighbors 2.5 hours down the road but still very good.

Yes.

I am dead serious when I say CU would shock people with Big Ten money.
Staples proposes B1G take 6.

uSC, UCLA, Oregon, uDub, Cal snd Stanford.

leftovers from PAC12 and B12 form a conferencr where teams like Iowa St, Utah, aSU and maybe even CU some day have a better path to playoff than previously.

RG or somebody at CU has done a good job getting CU name in the mix early but will it stick?

Last edited:
Went over the the Kansas 247 board and those guys seem awfully confident for school with multiple recent ongoing AD scandals and the worst P5 football program of the past decade considering they are facing an existential crisis for the athletic department. I'm pretty sure even Rutgers has had more success in football over a the past 10 - 12 years. They seem to think no statement from KU yet means they have a landing place already lined up and its likely the B1G...but I just don't see how that could be the case without a partner, and I doubt its ISU given ISU's hostage-crisis style video their leadership released yesterday.
Like there, reading this thread also confirms the human capacity for delusion.

No way Texas would give a substantial portion of the money they received from that to OU in order to pay for their BIG XII exit fee

Chippy said in a podcast a UT buddy of mine sent me that they're willing to throw their LHN money away. LOL this is so ****ing bizarre.

The chances of it happening are extremely slim, but man, wouldn’t it be glorious if the SEC told OU and UT to kiss off? Make them slink back to the B12 with their hats in hand?

More like ESPN making those payments not Texas.
Texas is due those payments, ESPN can't just decide to give some to OU. Texas would have to make that decision and I just really can't see them giving that money away to the rival that's been their better for the last 10 years

That 160M Texas was trying to throw away?

BTW-what's a realignment thread without a Chip Brown tweet?
The smiley was for those that foolishly stayed in that conference despite all the **** that was happening with UT and LHN. Leopards eat faces.

ESPN buying the Longhorns out for their own benefit is somewhat evil.

If I were any of the remaining members I’d refuse to play OU or UT ever again.

This was inevitable and paves the way for college football to effectively development league for the NFL at powerhouse programs. It will take about about a decade to sort out but the mega 32 team conference seems to be where things are heading. It will be good for the programs from the financial and prestige prospectives but is yet another nail in the coffin of college athletics in major sports.

Or especially a high school. Maybe the future of the sport is the NFL funding developmental clubs unaffiliated with academic institutions like we see in other countries. We've already seen in a lot of sports in the US that the path to a future in a sport is a club/ traveling team rather than your school's team.
This will be a sad day

I decided to look for some data, and the best easiest I could find was Total Appearances in the College Football Playoff Rankings so, from 2014-2020.

#1 Clemson 42
#4 Oklahoma 40

#9 Oklahoma State 29
#17 **** Baylor 20
#23 TCU 19
#23 FSU 19
#27 ISU 15
#30 WVU 14
#32 UNC 12
#37 Miami 11
#37 Texas 11
#40 VT 10
#40 NC State 10
#44 KSU 9
#51 Georgia Tech 6
#51 Syracuse 6
#64 Boston College 3
#64 Duke 3
#64 Pitt 3
#64 UVA 3
#73 Wake Forest 1

Big 12: 117
ACC: 87

Those 7 straight teams at the bottom could be an argument that the "dregs" of the ACC are better than their counterparts in the B12, but at the top you have OSU and **** Bailor ahead of FSU, and FSU is itself tied with TCU, then you've got ISU and WVU before you get to the next ACC team, UNC. Miami and UT are tied, and then the ACC wins out from there.
Ok…do Pac-12! (Since that was the original question)

really hard to say what would move the needle for the p12. looking at the ratings for the games of the left behind 8, the p12 would likely deliver MORE eyeballs than they already have, so that means you are dliluting the per team revenue if you bring some or all of the left behind to the pac.

the pac would get more time zones, which is theoretically helpful for when the teams are shown on tv. but it is hard to say that benefit would offset the revenue dilution issue.

i think the best move for the p12 for now may be to stay at 12 and hope they can deliver more playoff appearances and therefore earn a better tv contract in the next round. maybe. without expanding footprint and brining in teams that bring in high ratings, it is hard to say.
We all complain about 9am (pacific time) games, but that’s what we’d be adding for teams traveling to TX routinely if we got the 11 (central) on Fox.

Much as in: Do they add at least as much as they cost?

I don't know what annual payout we're heading towards for the next TV rights period but we're currently at 35m or so. Let's aim for 40-45m (or is that too ambitious?), does adding say TTU and TCU (because **** Baylor) add at least 80m per year to our TV deal and if it doesn't how much is a presence in Texas worth per year?

With A&M and UT the SEC will pretty much own the state anyway as depending on whether you put A&M in one tier with UT or not the remaining teams are at best second tier if not third tier.
But let’s say for arguments sake that we took SMU and Houston and made them P5 schools, could they be more competitive and attractive than TCU and TT, both on the field and academically?

New commish taking some shots here as ESPN and the SEC. Good to see. Biggest thing would be to allow the playoff contract to go out for bid instead of directly to ESPN.

Last edited:

New commish taking some shots here as ESPN and the SEC. Good to see. Biggest thing would be to allow the playoff contract to go out for bid instead of directly to ESPN.

Add a few more teams, and I believe the SEC will opt out of the playoff and simply keep everything to themselves.

Back