What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

Oh if we have that 32 team league with its own playoffs I wouldn’t give a **** if they ever scheduled an sec or acc team ever again. Don’t need some big cfb playoff system when you have a super league and don’t schedule the mercenaries.

I think the p12 and the big 10 still have some respect for the ideals and traditions of Cfb and this is part of why they did the scheduling alliance. I think the 32 team league would be a perfect counter and hit job on Texas and the okies and the sec. and I think there will be plenty of money for everyone. And I am absolutely convinced that if the Buffs had a comparable budget to the big10 more in line with the way the economics worked when we were a power we could be good again.

oh yeah we also need two teams out of Texas. Def go houston and tech. **** bailer.

I'd grab OSU and TCU to add to that. TCU's more liberal as a campus than you'd think. Go back to the SI piece Jens and I both posted from the UCLA blogger.

Wouldn't adding the PAC12 bring down the BIG10 tv revenues? I can't imagine CU would get Big10 type revenues in that scenario.

Theres not a lot moving the needle in the PAC12.

Wouldn't adding the PAC12 bring down the BIG10 tv revenues? I can't imagine CU would get Big10 type revenues in that scenario.

If you break it into four regional 8 team divisions with playoffs I bet you can get an effing killer new tv contract. You are talking about a huge footprint

I don’t think anyone is going to approach the SEC in terms of money so it’s all sort of a pointless conversation. The Pac 12 was due for an increase before this announcement and even more now with the big 12 going away but definitely won’t approach the big 10.

If you break it into four regional 8 team divisions with playoffs I bet you can get an effing killer new tv contract. You are talking about a huge footprint
This, and keep in mind that we own the P12 net. With a 32 team, coast to coast league, we would be calling the shots. The B1G has the fan support, we have the network infrastructure. It’s a match made in Heaven.

Also the nfl has pretty much equal revenue sharing. It works and lifts all boats and it is a proven model. I know it is probably a pipe dream but this would be the ultimate **** you to the sec

And the super conference is truly coast to coast. And in every major media market not owned by the sec. they will probably counter by picking from the acc to get to 32. Great and do it. You sec effers take Clemson and the Florida outlaws and enjoy yourselves. The rest of the nation will be watching something that at least resembles college football

Honestly there are other ways to play hardball with SEC if they are so intent on gutting the cream of every other league for themselves. It will probably never happen but they could start cutting them off from scheduling for other sports and even the the CFB playoff. Let them go start their NFL 2.0 and let the rest of us keep college athletics.

Call me cynical, and I got a chitty night of sleep, but if I was commish of the SEC/head of ESPN, I would look to add teams like Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc. - I realize their grant of rights goes till the end of time, but new media contracts will dwarf existing contracts, so there will be plenty of cash to go around.

So if I ran a conference (or was the head of ESPN) with a group that included Bama, OU, Clemson, LSU, Georgia, one of the Florida schools, and one of the Texas schools, routinely finishing in the top 6 of my league, there would be no need to share playoff revenue with lesser conferences. I would control every major college football property outside of ND, OSU, Mich, and U$C. Why give them a lifeline? And more importantly, after spending billions on covering and promoting SEC schools, there would be less of an incentive for ESPN to run a playoff where they promote teams outside of the SEC.

With the majority of the "top" schools, I would crown the SEC champ the national champ. The NBA champion doesn't go play the Euro champ to determine who's team reigns supreme, we all know the NBA team is better.

Lastly, I read an article yesterday suggesting that the SEC should opt out of the NCAA. No more clearinghouse, no more scholarship restrictions - the article suggested 100 to 120 scholarship limit. And put players on payroll of some kind.

My feared scenario won't happen, but if I was advising the SEC and ESPN, that's what I would look to do.
fwiw, my recollection of opinion articles from 8 or so years ago was that there was a lot of skepticism on whether a GOR would be enforceable. Particularly if ESPN, who owns both SEC and ACC rights, didn't reduce its payments to each of the remaining ACC schools. If they don't suffer financial loss, how are there damages? If the contracted broadcaster didn't lose content rights, how are there damages?

fwiw, my recollection of opinion articles from 8 or so years ago was that there was a lot of skepticism on whether a GOR would be enforceable. Particularly if ESPN, who owns both SEC and ACC rights, didn't reduce its payments to each of the remaining ACC schools. If they don't suffer financial loss, how are there damages? If the contracted broadcaster didn't lose content rights, how are there damages?
Liquidated damages are pretty common. If the B12 wasn’t harmed, why did UT and OU leave.

A scheduling agreement doesn’t change the financial disparity between the BIG and PAC. I’m not clear what a scheduling agreement does for either conference.
I'm not saying it moves the needle much, but if it was put together correctly, it would raise the broadcast value of both conferences "out of conference" schedules - it enlarges both conferences' coffers (and if it grows both by equal amounts it actually does reduce the disparity between conferences in percentage terms).

Liquidated damages are pretty common. If the B12 wasn’t harmed, why did UT and OU leave.
The remaining 8 are harmed in their next deal, but that's outside the scope of what OU and UT agreed to. In fact, they can argue that they went above and beyond what could be reasonably expected by giving 4 years notice so their partners would have ample opportunity to adjust.

I think the p12 and the big 10 still have some respect for the ideals and traditions of Cfb and this is part of why they did the scheduling alliance. I think the 32 team league would be a perfect counter and hit job on Texas and the okies and the sec. and I think there will be plenty of money for everyone. And I am absolutely convinced that if the Buffs had a comparable budget to the big10 more in line with the way the economics worked when we were a power we could be good again.

oh yeah we also need two teams out of Texas. Def go houston and tech. **** bailer.
Per tram revenues go down in a 32 team merger.

The remaining 8 are harmed in their next deal, but that's outside the scope of what OU and UT agreed to. In fact, they can argue that they went above and beyond what could be reasonably expected by giving 4 years notice so their partners would have ample opportunity to adjust.
Is ESPN encouraging others to leave in order to dissolve the conference and save TV money they would have owed to the B12?

that’s a key point to me.

It would not bring down revs if you cherry pick 4-6 key brands.

A full merger of all members seems like a non-starter to me.

hahahahahahahaha I can't wait for the A&M lookalike thread. So many directions one could go that don't even involve Brokeback Mountain!
The aTm to UT relationship is less taboo love and more of a Reek-to-Ramsay dynamic.
news america GIF

There are some tweets out there from some of the less credible realignment obsessives claiming sources that ESPN was trying to broker deals for the remaining schools to the other leagues, but not involving the P12 basically WVU/OSU to the ACC, ISU/KU to the B1G, and TTU/TCU/Baylor/KSU to the AAC, supposedly with a "promise" of an automatic CFB playoff spot to the AAC (who's rights ESPN also owns), and that one of the AAC group is one of the schools that snitched.

Seems pretty clear the AAC is the school ESPN was trying broker a deal for, the rest of it seems a bit far fetched. How is this not contractual interference? You destroy a league that a competitor shares rights with and then move over half the schools to leagues where you control sole rights, and lower your overall costs with a reduced payout to the majority of the schools, kill the LHN money pit, screw your competitor / broadcast partner out of major tent pole content, and get the schools getting screwed to forgo significant money's owed for a chance at a crappy life raft in a lesser league.

Last edited:
There are some tweets out there from some of the less credible realignment obsessives claiming sources that ESPN was trying to broker deals for the remaining schools to the other leagues, but not involving the P12 basically WVU/OSU to the ACC, ISU/KU to the B1G, and TTU/TCU/Baylor/KSU to the AAC, supposedly with a "promise" of an automatic CFB playoff spot to the AAC (who's rights ESPN also owns), and that one of the AAC group is one of the schools that snitched.

Seems pretty clear the AAC is the school ESPN was trying broker a deal for, the rest of it seems a bit far fetched. How is this not contractual interference? You destroy a league that a competitor shares rights with and then move over half the schools to leagues where you control sole rights, and lower your overall costs with a reduced payout to the majority of the schools, kill the LHN money pit, screw your competitor / broadcast partner out of major tent pole content, and get the schools getting screwed to forgo significant money's owed for a chance at a crappy life raft in a lesser league.
ESPN needs the votes on changing the CFP before the current contract expires. Apparently, that causes it to auto-extend as an ESPN property instead of being opened up for bidding in a few years.

Back