What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

I think there're a bunch of G5 teams that are better than the P5 bottom dwellers.
Certainly, but we don’t have to concern ourselves with them. The Boise States, Cincinnatis and Houstons are all separate and won’t be part of that top group of schools unless something really weird happens.

Certainly, but we don’t have to concern ourselves with them. The Boise States, Cincinnatis and Houstons are all separate and won’t be part of that top group of schools unless something really weird happens.

if by top group you mean top 20-30, certainly, and our ceiling is undoubtedly higher than theirs, but if we're talking top 50?

if by top group you mean top 20-30, certainly, and our ceiling is undoubtedly higher than theirs, but if we're talking top 50?
My point is that we aren’t comparing ourselves to G5 programs. It would be highly surprising if any G5 schools make the jump to P5 at this point. That includes schools like Boise, Cincinnati and Houston. So even if those programs are at a higher level than us now, they won’t be at the grownups table once all the chairs are placed. So while I will absolutely agree that we lack the will and resources to compete against the likes of Ohio State, Alabama and Texas, we have more than adequate commitment to compete with the likes of Arizona, Cal, Syracuse, NC State, etc. That’s not going to win us any national championships, but it will get us a seat at the table.

That would work - and might even overcome some of aggy's objections. But it probably won't.

What I really see are 11 of 14 saying "that would work, and may even be an improvement over ever we have now." And 3 of 14 saying "no, **** no, no, no ****ity **** no, no, no, no, no"

Q: How do you kick a team out of a conference?
A: It's pretty hard to borderline impossible

The only way to effectively do it is for a critical mass of schools to leave the conference and create a new one - essentially what the MWC did to the WAC.

The above comments are merely a parameter to keep in mind when thinking about the following:

What, if anything, does the B1G do in response to this (presuming it happens)?

1. Nothing (note: never discount this as a possible course of action)
2. Go after... someone?

Other than KU, I don't think there's another obvious "fit" for the B1G in what would be left of the B12.
Could they try and swing for a disgruntled Mizzou? (KU + MU could be a reasonable add)
Would they swallow their pride and slum it with ISU?
Would they pitch CU? (CU + KU could also be a reasonable add from their perspective - but, I think we'd have to give up on CU football ever being relevant again as we'd be so cut off from our recruiting grounds that we'd be well and truly ****ed)

The power move would be for a large fraction of the B1G to join with a large fraction of the Pac-12 and create a new super conference, leaving several of the other schools behind. (Note: this won't happen.)

Or, just rethink the whole thing, merge with the P12 and instead of even trying to create "fair" pods or divisions or whatever, create a tiered relegation system within the conference. There are Champions West and Champions East divisions and Also Rans West and East divisions, the two lower division "champions" move up the next season, and the bottom dwellers drop down. You want intense interest in games between non-ranked teams late in the season? Imagine Michigan and Northwestern meeting with relegation on the line, or... CU and NU meeting with promotion on the line? (Note: this won't happen either)
CU recruited Texas and California going back to the 60's. Big10 membership would help our recruiting with the extra $$$.

With the SEC grabbing Texas and OU there will likely be a new round of realignment.

The Big Ten and SEC are the two top conferences money wise and prestige as well. If the Big Ten came calling for CU and added Kansas as well, would you be interested?

The pods are becoming a likely scenario (play your three pod teams then two from the other pods, guarantees you play each team home and away every four years. Pods being:

CU, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa
Wisky, Minn, Northwestern, Iowa
MSU, Mich, IU, Purdue
OSU, PSU, Maryland, Rutgers

You would have a few protected games as well.

I'm from Big Ten country and went to a Big Ten school, now live in Denver and Boulder feels like a Big Ten city. Very similar to Ann Arbor. And who knows where this leaves the Pac-10. Who do they add?

With the SEC grabbing Texas and OU there will likely be a new round of realignment.

The Big Ten and SEC are the two top conferences money wise and prestige as well. If the Big Ten came calling for CU and added Kansas as well, would you be interested?

The pods are becoming a likely scenario (play your three pod teams then two from the other pods, guarantees you play each team home and away every four years. Pods being:

CU, ****braska, Kansas, Iowa
MSU, Mich, IU, Purdue

I'm from Big Ten country and went to a Big Ten school, now live in Denver and Boulder feels like a Big Ten city. Very similar to Ann Arbor. And who knows where this leaves the Pac-10. Who do they add?
Sure. Nothing better than beating NU.

MSU, Mich, IU, Purdue

On a personal level I prefer the P12 but it’d be an economic necessity and safeguard the microscopic chance of CU football ever having some sort of relevance again to accept a B1G offer.

This is the beginning of the death of college football. IMO, with NIL and this crap happening, it's only a matter of time before we have teams, where everyone is paid to play, that may or may not be loosely affiliated with a school, like the European soccer and basketball model.

Frankly, I'm ok with that future. I think we just see a minor league type model.

This is the beginning of the death of college football. IMO, with NIL and this crap happening, it's only a matter of time before we have teams, where everyone is paid to play, that may or may not be loosely affiliated with a school, like the European soccer and basketball model.

Frankly, I'm ok with that future. I think we just see a minor league type model.

What do you mean?

On a personal level I prefer the P12 but it’d be an economic necessity and safeguard the microscopic chance of CU football ever having some sort of relevance again to accept a B1G offer.
Agree. More money and more stability for our sports long term there.

MSU, Mich, IU, Purdue

ISU is more likely than KU to go to the B1G IMO. I don't think they want anything to do with the mess that is Kansas athletics right now, and Iowa State's main rival is already there. The B1G gets two new rivalry games in CU/Nebraska and Iowa/Iowa State.

The Pac isn't worse off if this happens. Tech, OSU, ISU, and KSU all will come, but I think the division formats change.

Last edited:
Curious. Is it your opinion that OSU no longer has those alumni in powerful positions in the OK state legislature? Or that the reports of OU and UT breaking out are false?
Isn’t the current governor of Oklahoma an OSU alum?

A number of things to keep in mind as this all gets processed.

College football changes over time. Go back far enough and the Ivy league was where the power was and service academies won national championships.

Academics, traditions, rivalries, geographic considerations all matter. But nowhere near as much as dollars do. The University of Chicago is one of the upper tier academic and research schools in the nation and doesn't even have a football team.

As we enter an era of players being paid and being compensated for their name/image an uneven system will get even further from being even. Money has bought recruits for a long time, now that they don't have to pretend it will become an even bigger factor, buying winning teams will be out in the open.

There is no comparison to the NFL. The NFL is a group of owners who cooperate the make the league more valuable for all. Lousy management defeats it but the NFL is set up for parity, set up to have bottom teams rise to the top and top teams fall to the bottom. College is set up for the rich to get richer, the powers to become more powerful. And they don't care if the teams below them ever get better.

TV markets matter. Ticket sales and donations are very important but on a conference scale it is all about maximizing the value of the TV rights. And it isn't just about the size of the TV market but how much influence a school has on ratings, both locally and nationally. This is why a Nebraska is more valuable than say an Arizona State.

Every programs fans want to believe that their team belongs in the top but a lot of schools are going to have to decide if they are willing and able to truly participate at the levels that will be required to continue in the new era.

The question for us as Buffs fans is if the CU administration wants the program to participate at the levels required. Not the answer I want but based on what I have seen that answer is no.

They will try to hang on and generate the money they can from it but no winning isn't enough of a priority for them to allow us to keep up.

Whelp…apparently both Texas and OU skipped the B12 call this afternoon. That seems pretty ominous for the rest of the league and seems like a pretty aggressive step is you weren’t seriious about making a move.

Wow. I had been ignoring this thread until today.

If OU and UT leave the B12 is dead.

NIL is going to kill CFB. The heavyweights (UT, OU, LSU, Bama, Auburn, UGA, UF, ND, PSU, tOSU, Mich, USC) are going to have NIL deals that cannot be matched by others. Think about it. You have a business? You want preferential tickets? Start a NIL program. Everybody on the 2 deep will be getting paid at the aforementioned schools. The 2 deep at those schools will be more talented than everybody else. It is already pretty out of balance as it is. It will only get worse and the lesser will have to break away, or the haves will jettison the have nots, however you want to say it.

I agree with others leaping to the B1G is probably the only way to survive this mess. Would they take CU? The P12 really has no options to expand with partners that, dare I say it? Are accretive. As others said, adding somebody from the Mtn. Weenie or adding the leftovers from the dying B12 does nothing.

The hilarious end to this is that no matter how the pieces move, CSewe will still be on the outside looking in.

What should really happen to combat this all, if the PAC and B1G want to play serious with these SEC moves:

PAC and B1G join together and add 6 (TCU, Houston, ISU, KSU, KU/osu &/or make a run at ND?)

4 regional pods of 8, in a conference that covers coast to coast. We would be our own league essentially, and demand big TV money. This could also play well in to the CFP expansion.

The only thing the big 10 and pac 12 can do if they leave for the sec is add as many texas schools as possible. You simply cannot let the SEC have sole P5 ownership of that state to go along with their dominance in Georgia, Louisiana and Florida recruiting. That would be impossible to compete with.

NIL is going to kill CFB. The heavyweights (UT, OU, LSU, Bama, Auburn, UGA, UF, ND, PSU, tOSU, Mich, USC) are going to have NIL deals that cannot be matched by others. Think about it. You have a business? You want preferential tickets? Start a NIL program. Everybody on the 2 deep will be getting paid at the aforementioned schools. The 2 deep at those schools will be more talented than everybody else. It is already pretty out of balance as it is. It will only get worse and the lesser will have to break away, or the haves will jettison the have nots, however you want to say it.

I agree with others leaping to the B1G is probably the only way to survive this mess. Would they take CU? The P12 really has no options to expand with partners that, dare I say it? Are accretive. As others said, adding somebody from the Mtn. Weenie or adding the leftovers from the dying B12 does nothing.

The hilarious end to this is that no matter how the pieces move, CSewe will still be on the outside looking in.
What should really happen to combat this all, if the PAC and B1G want to play serious with these SEC moves:

PAC and B1G join together and add 6 (TCU, Houston, ISU, KSU, KU/osu &/or make a run at ND?)

4 regional pods of 8, in a conference that covers coast to coast. We would be our own league essentially, and demand big TV money. This could also play well in to the CFP expansion.
It won't be long until we can kiss the PAC goodbye as a top level conference.

Who in the PAC is willing and able to play the same game as the big power schools? It won't be long until the SEC or the B1G (new versions of each because they may be re-organized to dump some programs they don't want to carry with them) make offers that USC/UCLA Oregon, and Washington offers they can't refuse.

Those few schools will allow them to dominate the west coast from a media perspective. What happens to the rest won't be what they would like.

MSU, Mich, IU, Purdue

How many pods does Iowa get to be in? Sheesh!

Who gives a **** about little brother?

CU's gotta find a way into the Big 10, and frankly-I think CU might be the B1G's only expansion option. I can't see them poaching anybody from the ACC-doesn't their grant of rights make it hard for any of their membership to leave?

Back