What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

If the pac added texas and Oklahoma last time, there would have been no room for old CU.

The presidents of UCLA, Stanford, and Cal were on record at the time (this was in the Post's piece the day the Pac 12 move was made) as not being for any Pac 12 expansion that did not involve CU.

Not happening. The ACC's GoR (which now includes the ACC Network) runs into 2035-36. We're the only school that remotely moves the needle that the B1G could get.

Not a single one of these GoRs has been challenged in court yet. I'll believe they mean something after that happens.

The presidents of UCLA, Stanford, and Cal were on record at the time (this was in the Post's piece the day the Pac 12 move was made) as not being for any Pac 12 expansion that did not involve CU.
And our nation's previous president is on record that he won the election, so...

If the pac added texas and Oklahoma last time, there would have been no room for old CU.
I don’t think so, CU was the first team to move if I recall. CU and Utah were solidly in.

All subsequent discussion of OU and Texas were after the CU and Utah jump. Nebraska jumped to the B1G, Missouri and A&M followed to the SEC; gutting the upper to middle 1/3 of the conference. Texas began shopping itself but more as a hubris play to stoke the flame for their brand. That put Baylor into a tizzy and was posturing to politics.

OU was left out to dry and made the mistake of thinking regional partnerships were important. I think OU has recognized that geography and regional partners don’t matter now so they will not hesitate to move if they can.

The Pac12 made the same mistake as OU. The Pac12 stayed true to the small regional conference model and it ruined conference growth potential. If Texas and OU are in play then the Pac12 must seriously inquire and even accommodate. Time for the GK to make a splash for the conference or begin reshaping the conference away from football.

I don’t think so, CU was the first team to move if I recall. CU and Utah were solidly in.

All subsequent discussion of OU and Texas were after the CU and Utah jump. ****braska jumped to the B1G, Missouri and A&M followed to the SEC; gutting the upper to middle 1/3 of the conference. Texas began shopping itself but more as a hubris play to stoke the flame for their brand. That put Baylor into a tizzy and was posturing to politics.

OU was left out to dry and made the mistake of thinking regional partnerships were important. I think OU has recognized that geography and regional partners don’t matter now so they will not hesitate to move if they can.

The Pac12 made the same mistake as OU. The Pac12 stayed true to the small regional conference model and it ruined conference growth potential. If Texas and OU are in play then the Pac12 must seriously inquire and even accommodate. Time for the GK to make a splash for the conference or begin reshaping the conference away from football.

CU was. Utah was the plan B if the Pac 16 fell apart.

With the SEC grabbing Texas and OU there will likely be a new round of realignment.

The Big Ten and SEC are the two top conferences money wise and prestige as well. If the Big Ten came calling for CU and added Kansas as well, would you be interested?

The pods are becoming a likely scenario (play your three pod teams then two from the other pods, guarantees you play each team home and away every four years. Pods being:

CU, ****braska, Kansas, Iowa
Wisky, Minn, Northwestern, Iowa
MSU, Mich, IU, Purdue
OSU, PSU, Maryland, Rutgers

You would have a few protected games as well.

I'm from Big Ten country and went to a Big Ten school, now live in Denver and Boulder feels like a Big Ten city. Very similar to Ann Arbor. And who knows where this leaves the Pac-10. Who do they add?
I’ve been to Ann Arbor. Boulder isn’t anything like Ann Arbor.

Honestly it’s starting to feel like the B1G and P12 might need to explore restarting that strategic alliance and possibly even pooling their tv rights if they want to stay relevant. Have the PAC add a couple of schools in the Texas footprint and then expand their cross scheduling. In a streaming world appealing content is going to be king since the cable market is shrinking and the cable companies have tamped down hard on the RSNs. Leagues aren’t going to be able to afford to schedule cupcakes, they will need as many appealing matchups as possible to drive streaming viewership.

Why not? They can still be playing partners.
Under a pod scenario you play those teams in your pod every year and rotate through all the others on a regular, but not yearly basis.

Despite Michigan's issues lately the UM/OSU game is always one of the top 1-3 watched regular season games of the year. I mean it's nickname is "The Game". The B1G wants that game played every year, no doubt.

Under a pod scenario you play those teams in your pod every year and rotate through all the others on a regular, but not yearly basis.

Despite Michigan's issues lately the UM/OSU game is always one of the top 1-3 watched regular season games of the year. I mean it's nickname is "The Game". The B1G wants that game played every year, no doubt.
playing each year is also accomplished by putting them in different pods and making them playing partners. I don't see pods and playing partners as mutually exclusive concepts. what am I missing here?

Honestly it’s starting to feel like the B1G and P12 might need to explore restarting that strategic alliance and possibly even pooling their tv rights if they want to stay relevant. Have the PAC add a couple of schools in the Texas footprint and then expand their cross scheduling. In a streaming world appealing content is going to be king since the cable market is shrinking and the cable companies have tamped down hard on the RSNs. Leagues aren’t going to be able to afford to schedule cupcakes, they will need as many appealing matchups as possible to drive streaming viewership.

If the P12 was to be included in the BTN, that would be a massive upgrade from what we have with the P12N. ESPN would simply pool together the ACCN and SECN in that regard.

Fox Sports needs to really get going on their version of ESPN+.

Under a one possible pod scenario you play those teams in your pod every year and rotate through all the others on a regular, but not yearly basis.
FIFY.

There are many ways to do "pods" and Divisions.

I am most interested in how FOX responds to all of this. Do they throw a bunch of money at the situation to keep espn from having the south and texas in their programming? Do they try to keep OU and Texas in the big 10/Pac-12 with escalators that those two conferences will make the same amount as the SEC every year or so they go cheap and try to keep what they have currently?

Its B1G or bust-They will expand to respond to this, and I think we're the only way they can do it.

I really think CU makes sense for the B1G - long-time rival with Nebraska and we border a current B1G state which would keep things somewhat geographical. I don't know who the 16th school could be but they will figure that out. I hate to say it but KU would make alot of sense geographically plus they are an AAU school, but I still say that overall they aren't a good addition for a P5 conference with their lack of success and apathy towards football. But if the B1G wants to throw geography out the window then they would be crazy to not go after USC.

With the SEC grabbing Texas and OU there will likely be a new round of realignment.

The Big Ten and SEC are the two top conferences money wise and prestige as well. If the Big Ten came calling for CU and added Kansas as well, would you be interested?

The pods are becoming a likely scenario (play your three pod teams then two from the other pods, guarantees you play each team home and away every four years. Pods being:

CU, ****braska, Kansas, Iowa
Wisky, Minn, Northwestern, Iowa
MSU, Mich, IU, Purdue
OSU, PSU, Maryland, Rutgers

You would have a few protected games as well.

I'm from Big Ten country and went to a Big Ten school, now live in Denver and Boulder feels like a Big Ten city. Very similar to Ann Arbor. And who knows where this leaves the Pac-10. Who do they add?
Lotta Iowa going on.

Meh, they can have discussions. Pretty sure BYU had discussions.

The things that kept BYU out were
1. Won't play on Sunday
2. Academic freedom

#2 covers a lot and gets into the weeds pretty quickly, but a quick bottom line short cut is "would the school give tenure to (or even hire and/or admit as a student) an openly homosexual atheist whose academic pursuit was examining the church through the lens of critical race theory?"

BYU and **** bailer both fail that test pretty miserably. I don't know enough about TCU to know where they'd come down on that one.

**** bailer also fails the "treat rape and murder by your athletes and coaches like the serious crimes they are" test, so I'm pretty sure their only P4 hope is the B1G.

Look it up. It's hard to explain. Like Luka Doncic being a professional since he was 15.

I understand the system very well and can tell you everything you need. The concept of organised athletic competitions between educational institutions in football and basketball is completely alien here. The clubs develop the players themselves.

Yeah, really want to avoid baylor. I absolutely love the TCU/SMU combo as sort of a **** you to the SEC though. I think you can make some serious headway in Dallas against OU over time and with the way that metro area is growing it would be a good approach. After that it gets tricky, TTU is a solid athletic department but so far away from the metro area and doesn’t seem to have a large presence over the other schools in Texas. **** baylor. Houston would be a really solid add in football and basketball but they seem to have trouble attracting fans. Oklahoma state seems like it will be a program that will struggle over time but they are a decent AD currently.

unfortunately if you are talking about recruiting and money it would probably be TCU, SMU, Baylor and houston.

I really think CU makes sense for the B1G - long-time rival with ****braska and we border a current B1G state which would keep things somewhat geographical. I don't know who the 16th school could be but they will figure that out. I hate to say it but KU would make alot of sense geographically plus they are an AAU school, but I still say that overall they aren't a good addition for a P5 conference with their lack of success and apathy towards football. But if the B1G wants to throw geography out the window then they would be crazy to not go after USC.

Whereas CU .... ?

And there's no exit fee to leave the Pac 12. Just the GoR.

Sweet, Let’s go! BIG! They would love to have us, their current members schools would come to CU in November and be like:
ED903F7A-34E5-41A1-9937-1B62CF608890.jpeg

Back