What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

Because they see what is basically their minor league system in the colleges making billions per year. They know that they can run a developmental league for a fraction of that and leverage it into a money making operation. Baseball and basketball don't have the leverage to force their minor leagues onto TV.
No one will watch minor league football. College football has a built in fan base.

No one will watch minor league football. College football has a built in fan base.
Just because something has been a certain way doesn't mean it stays that way.

How long ago did people say that people wouldn't pay for TV when they could get it free, that there would always be a market for newspapers, that college athletes would never get paid, and on and on.

It wasn't that long ago that the NFL draft was something you read about in the newspaper, nobody outside of a few draft nuts nobody would spend time watching it. Now it gets higher ratings that actual games for other professional leagues.

Outside of a few programs attendance at college football games has been going down steadily. With the playoff they have rendered most of the bowls meaningless.

You don't think that the NFL could force their minor league onto TV and make it something people follow. Look at the attention that fans pay to the Broncos in pre-season watching players who won't even be on the field once real games begin.

Not saying that college football will go away but the NFL could suck a lot of the money out of it.

There will be no difference between "college football" and minor league football in 10 - 15 years.

Hell, hopefully someone like Cal will sue and make them stop calling it "college" when the Big Ten and SEC programs eventually break away from the actual institutions and the players stop being students altogether.

Last edited:
Skateboarding Reaction GIF by US National Archives

I don't see how something can be considered amateur when someone, in this case the athletic departments, make up to 200m USD a year primarily because those amateurs play 12-15 football games or 40 basketball games.
I’d say if this minor league thing does what it should, the profits won’t look like that.

I don't see how something can be considered amateur when someone, in this case the athletic departments, make up to 200m USD a year primarily because those amateurs play 12-15 football games or 40 basketball games.
Most AD’s break even at best when the profits from football and basketball are distributed throughout the department.

Most AD’s break even at best when the profits from football and basketball are distributed throughout the department.
That's what they make their books say.

There are all sorts of accounting games which are played to make it look that way at many universities. Some are actually struggling, but not as many as reported.

It's a mix.

That's what they make their books say.

There are all sorts of accounting games which are played to make it look that way at many universities. Some are actually struggling, but not as many as reported.

It's a mix.
Could argue that accounting for college football programs and athletic departments on a whole is much more creative than anything you would find coming out of Hollywood or any museum of the arts.

In addition to putting the schools on national television and in the sports news on a regular basis and with providing alums and supporters a connection to the school I wonder how many millions of dollars end up in slush funds used to lobby donors and politicians in favor of the schools. It would be interesting to see the "guest list" for any of these major schools most recent bowl game or playoff appearance.

the number 1 driver of blown budgets in major college ball is hiring and firing of head coaches.

the number 2 driver is poorly forecast facilities upgrades and how to pay for them.

the arms race for home run hire coaches and the facilities they "need" to succeed are the reasons football programs keep eating a larger part of athletic budgets even tho revenue is also increasing for a lot of major schools. it is true that football pays for all the other sports. it is also true that a bad hire can **** your budget for years at a time and limit your ability to upgrade your non-rev generating sports.

the number 1 driver of blown budgets in major college ball is hiring and firing of head coaches.

the number 2 driver is poorly forecast facilities upgrades and how to pay for them.

the arms race for home run hire coaches and the facilities they "need" to succeed are the reasons football programs keep eating a larger part of athletic budgets even tho revenue is also increasing for a lot of major schools. it is true that football pays for all the other sports. it is also true that a bad hire can **** your budget for years at a time and limit your ability to upgrade your non-rev generating sports.
Thank God we found our guy, then. Amirite?

Anyone remember when Washington State dropped some games for 2011 before the Pac-10 expanded back then?

Georgia was supposed to play at Oklahoma next year. Only reason to cancel that game at this point imo is if both are going to be playing next season as conference members.

With the news that the Pac-12 and ESPN are hundreds of millions of dollars apart along with the Big 12 having talks with ESPN at the same time, things are certainly on the move behind the scenes.

Hello Buffs, I haven't posted here in years. Needless to say, as a Jayhawk I have suffered through twelve years of awful football. I have always had a soft spot for CU as far as (former) conference schools go. I sincerely hope we both go to the B1G some day, but if the four corner schools make a move to the XII or whatever it ends up, that would be a welcome change. I am very sorry to see how Dorell has tanked your program - hope you get back on your feet soon.

So even if USC and UCLA had stayed in the Pac 12, the estimates were around $40-$45m/program/year ($500m TV deal). By going to the B1G, they are looking around around double that. Does Kliavkoff really believe UCLA's travel costs are going to be $40m/year?

I hear the Chipster travels in style....

Back