What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practice Thread

in other words, we run a grass-basketball offense where montez runs for his life. our gassed defense gives up 400 yards a game. and we try to win 50-48 every week. got it. sigh.

Yep, the tempo will be much more intense under Chiv as he has indicated. It’s the best way for undertalented teams to compete in today’s game. If this bothers you now, this could be a long season for you. Speed spread will the identity of the O this year. It is being practiced now.

I am not an Offensive Line guru at all, so I really read and learn from the rest of you on this topic. I agree with a lot of what you said and I do believe the defense will be better and can stand up to much of the pressure a higher pace offense will place on them. Play creativity will help hide the OL issues, but the ability to have an OL be able to just maul the hell out of someone always is the way to dominate. I was forced to watch the Chiv game on Youtube because some idiot put it on here and like a car wreck I watched it and was wondering why back in the old days with Mac 1 and Barnett we used to use a line setup where we had a Strongside and Weakside and the Guard and Tackles would flip flop based on where on the hash marks and field we were at? So, educate me why we did that, how it made us better, and if it is even anything we would ever consider again?

One of the largest issues is that HS football is not played this way anymore especially in CU focus areas for recruiting, TX and CA. OL don’t know how to block like that anymore. RBs don’t run out of the I anymore. Look up the number of FBs available on Rivals. Laughable. 29 LBs at the Combine ran 4.79 or better. Run stuffing ILBs are dinosaurs. The game is about speed in space on both sides of the ball. Old school players are rare these days. Kids don’t want to play smashmouth football anymore.

One of the largest issues is that HS football is not played this way anymore especially in CU focus areas for recruiting, TX and CA. OL don’t know how to block like that anymore. RBs don’t run out of the I anymore. Look up the number of FBs available on Rivals. Laughable. 29 LBs at the Combine ran 4.79 or better. Run stuffing ILBs are dinosaurs. The game is about speed in space on both sides of the ball. Old school players are rare these days. Kids don’t want to play smashmouth football anymore.

Thank you very much for that education. Running the ball down someones throat is just so much fun to watch and I pray something special happens with this OL! I feel it is going to be the difference between 2-3 wins, as I see this team getting between 6-9 total wins.

in other words, we run a grass-basketball offense where montez runs for his life. our gassed defense gives up 400 yards a game. and we try to win 50-48 every week. got it. sigh.

...with no bye weeks during the conference season. Can't wait for those "gold rush" games in November.

Yep, the tempo will be much more intense under Chiv as he has indicated. It’s the best way for undertalented teams to compete in today’s game. If this bothers you now, this could be a long season for you. Speed spread will the identity of the O this year. It is being practiced now.

Your second sentence is highly debatable.

Your second sentence is highly debatable.
I’ll be glad to debate how tempo neutralizes more talented defenses.

Prevents execution of depth on D.
Prevents special packages by D.
Gasses interior defenders as they chase.
Creates confusion on signals.
Hard to simulate in practice for opposing teams.
Easier blocking schemes for OL.
Simple, special packages for WRs.
Timed, pre-planned plays.
Easy signals.

I can argue option football can equalize in situations of undertake the as well.

I think tempo has several advantages that option doesn’t, namely the fatigue inducing factors it has on Ds.

You may think otherwise. It’s debatable as you noted.

Playing hyper-speed tempo only works if the offense is efficient IMO. Otherwise, it tends to leads to put that team's defense in a bad spot and can lead to a team becoming one dimensional.

Teams with lesser talent on offense can/should provide a combo of: no-huddle (not necessarily with fast tempo) and zone read moreso than focusing purely on just working at a fast tempo. CU was a top 20 team in snap count last season and the offense was mostly ineffective while putting a poor defense in vulnerable situations.

I’ll be glad to debate how tempo neutralizes more talented defenses.

Prevents execution of depth on D.
Prevents special packages by D.
Gasses interior defenders as they chase.
Creates confusion on signals.
Hard to simulate in practice for opposing teams.
Easier blocking schemes for OL.
Simple, special packages for WRs.
Timed, pre-planned plays.
Easy signals.

I can argue option football can equalize in situations of undertake the as well.

I think tempo has several advantages that option doesn’t, namely the fatigue inducing factors it has on Ds.

You may think otherwise. It’s debatable as you noted.
One thing I'd point out is that MM seems to believe otherwise. When he had a young and ****ty team, he didn't go fast tempo. Those teams did all they could to shorten games, rest the defense, and try to get into position where one flukey play in the 4th quarter could get us a win against a better team. There are definitely multiple schools of thought on this. Because some coaches go a step further than MM did and their philosophy is that you don't have to be talented to be physical, so when you've got a bad team keep pounding it and maybe you'll win by developing a mentality and being the tougher team.

Playing hyper-speed tempo only works if the offense is efficient IMO. Otherwise, it tends to leads to put that team's defense in a bad spot and can lead to a team becoming one dimensional.

Teams with lesser talent on offense can/should provide a combo of: no-huddle (not necessarily with fast tempo) and zone read moreso than focusing purely on just working at a fast tempo. CU was a top 20 team in snap count last season and the offense was mostly ineffective while putting a poor defense in vulnerable situations.
Agree.

One thing I'd point out is that MM seems to believe otherwise. When he had a young and ****ty team, he didn't go fast tempo. Those teams did all they could to shorten games, rest the defense, and try to get into position where one flukey play in the 4th quarter could get us a win against a better team. There are definitely multiple schools of thought on this. Because some coaches go a step further than MM did and their philosophy is that you don't have to be talented to be physical, so when you've got a bad team keep pounding it and maybe you'll win by developing a mentality and being the tougher team.
That’s a way to overcome talent deficits as well. I guess I could have better said “I believe speed spread and tempo are the best...”.

I’d rank ways to best overcome talent gap as:

1. Speed spread
2. Wishbone
3. Shorten the game
4. Air raid

The team I helped coach two years ago was severely out manned from a talent standpoint compared to other 5a programs, to the point where we didn't think we'd win more than 4-5 games. Among other things, we completely changed the offensive philosophy to a full huddle-based system with a WR running in the plays, milking most of the play clock, and we were probably a 85-90% run oriented offense (seriously). We had no business making the playoffs, but we went 7-3 and lost in the first round using that kind of strategy.

i don't have a problem with going fast on offense. it has helped us in the past and it can help us this year, especially at home. i do not like the full grass basketball offense. it destroys defensive identity; it cannot be relied on when you need to sit on a lead; and it does not win championships.

all that said, i didn't love the wishbone either (although i like it a lot more than the losing we did under fairbanks). if this is the next step to get us going again, then let's do it.

I’m more for changes in tempo rather than a sustained, slow or fast tempo. Keep the defense guessing.

i don't have a problem with going fast on offense. it has helped us in the past and it can help us this year, especially at home. i do not like the full grass basketball offense. it destroys defensive identity; it cannot be relied on when you need to sit on a lead; and it does not win championships.

all that said, i didn't love the wishbone either (although i like it a lot more than the losing we did under fairbanks). if this is the next step to get us going again, then let's do it.

The problem is building a team through recruiting for a team 3-4 years out though.

The problem is building a team through recruiting for a team 3-4 years out though.

yes. you can't suddenly go from one to the other. i don't know if anyone could do now what the Original Mac did back in the day-- he evolved the offense over time and he was able to do so because he had real deal athletes. not sure that if we start relying on light and fast o-linemen out of the spread, for example, that we are somehow going to pull in nasty pro-style linemen to anchor a more pro style offense.

Best way to go, and I love motioning a guy like Nixon across the field constantly to tire out those backers and safeties again teams that like to play man to man.

Yes. Motion can create easier reads for the QB on man vs zone and more mismatches with a trips 3 X 1 set.

Just when I thought we had crawled out of the pond scum, I hear Hawg1 claiming he's got another inside source into the program. Furk.

No huddle let’s you do a bunch of shifts and motion play.
Yeah and I’m talking specifically about a guy like Nixon who has great speed to beat you to the outside but is also shifty as hell so even when you catch him he can still make you miss. Just a really aggravating player to go against as a defender.

The team I helped coach two years ago was severely out manned from a talent standpoint compared to other 5a programs, to the point where we didn't think we'd win more than 4-5 games. Among other things, we completely changed the offensive philosophy to a full huddle-based system with a WR running in the plays, milking most of the play clock, and we were probably a 85-90% run oriented offense (seriously). We had no business making the playoffs, but we went 7-3 and lost in the first round using that kind of strategy.
Did the strength of your team happen to be the o-line and a bend but don't break D?

Conditioning and playing at altitude is an advantage that Colorado needs to harness. Use the no huddle to prevent substitutions and dictate the tempo as needed. An opponent's talent advantage can be substantially reduced if they are completely gassed.

If Moretti is in full pads, when do you think we could expect him running contact drills? Getting him and Ray healthy could make all the difference

If Moretti is in full pads, when do you think we could expect him running contact drills? Getting him and Ray healthy could make all the difference
I would think he is doing some of those drills right now, they just hold hm out of a majority of the scrimmaging/full contact periods and limit his participation in thud to bring him along slowly.

Did the strength of your team happen to be the o-line and a bend but don't break D?
No the OL was our weakest group by far, actually. We had a pretty good defense, though, which did allow our offense to go for it a lot on 4th down to keep moving the chains and milking more time. Essentially, our offensive philosophy was to just pick up 3 yards every play to guarantee a 1st down when going for it most times. As a defensive coach, it was like watching paint dry, but it was effective.

No the OL was our weakest group by far, actually. We had a pretty good defense, though, which did allow our offense to go for it a lot on 4th down to keep moving the chains and milking more time. Essentially, our offensive philosophy was to just pick up 3 yards every play to guarantee a 1st down when going for it most times. As a defensive coach, it was like watching paint dry, but it was effective.
Welcome to Monarch football. Watching those games when my kids were in school were painful when they played against a really good D.

Sounds like Columbine football every year.

Back