What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practice Thread

Age and maturity need to equal success when you’re recruiting these types of players. They weren’t recruited to play as redshirt freshmen. They were recruited with the plan to develop them physically and train them mentally over a three to four year period before they ever set foot in the field. Gotta hope that the length of time in the program is finally showing some positive results. It did in 2016.

Almost no OL are. The "one year older" mantra hasn't really been highly encouraging as far as the OL goes....
I’d argue that a few of the 2017 class probably were. Which means that a few of those guys should be ready to contribute this year. Hopefully.

I’d argue that a few of the 2017 class probably were. Which means that a few of those guys should be ready to contribute this year. Hopefully.
I would agree, and there is a correlation with how they were viewed coming out of HS. Unfortunately, prior years OL were largely "diamonds in the rough".

Even with "developmental" linemen, it does not take until they are upperclassmen to show out.

Haigler, Kelley, and Kough all pushed for playing time and were regular starters by their sophomore years.

One can always hope.

Leadership, Adams self-reflection, development, new blood in Competition, better DL to practice against, picking the best spot for each guy, playcalling under DC, and another year with Drew Wilson all can affect change this year. Kaiser seemed to understand last year was crap, so seems like players are self aware. Hopefully all the above have positive impacts

Leadership, Adams self-reflection, development, new blood in Competition, better DL to practice against, picking the best spot for each guy, playcalling under DC, and another year with Drew Wilson all can affect change this year. Kaiser seemed to understand last year was crap, so seems like players are self aware. Hopefully all the above have positive impacts
I hope so.

Which of the Grad Assistants and/or Interns help Adams with the OL? I have a bad feeling in my stomach that Adams is going to spend a lot of time on being the Co-OC and with how poor the OL played last year that the linemen are just not coached well enough? If I am totally wrong, please correct me and make me feel better. I am getting good vibes about most all of the units on this team, including the entire defense. But, a couple of things can hurt us are the OL and Special Teams. Not because we do not have enough talent, but because there is not enough focus or coaching. I feel that Els could get the Special Teams tuned up and the punting and kicking should be as good as ever, so the unit that we are all the most nervous about is Adam's Offensive Line!!!

Which of the Grad Assistants and/or Interns help Adams with the OL? I have a bad feeling in my stomach that Adams is going to spend a lot of time on being the Co-OC and with how poor the OL played last year that the linemen are just not coached well enough? If I am totally wrong, please correct me and make me feel better. I am getting good vibes about most all of the units on this team, including the entire defense. But, a couple of things can hurt us are the OL and Special Teams. Not because we do not have enough talent, but because there is not enough focus or coaching. I feel that Els could get the Special Teams tuned up and the punting and kicking should be as good as ever, so the unit that we are all the most nervous about is Adam's Offensive Line!!!
This year is the most I've liked our special teams since Barnett was the head coach.

On the OL, I feel like I'm pumping sunshine if I say it's going to be adequate.

This year is the most I've liked our special teams since Barnett was the head coach.

On the OL, I feel like I'm pumping sunshine if I say it's going to be adequate.
I think the inside G/C positions could be adequate to even pretty good if Lynott gets healthy. The outside, well, yeah.

Adams' focus is not the primary concern to me on the OL, talent absolutely is a major question mark there.

Agreed. On the flip side, Montez could be a huge contributor here. If he has progressed and can make quick reads and get rid of the ball it will help to shore up the deficiencies of the OL. If he wants to stand back there all day he’s going to get punished.

Solutions:

Spread spread neutralizes under-talented OL.

Shortened Montez throwing motion.

Quicker timing routes.

Hitches, bubbles and tunnels.

But, yes, he needs help from a GA or an analyst or two.

Solutions:

Quicker timing routes.

in other words, we run a grass-basketball offense where montez runs for his life. our gassed defense gives up 400 yards a game. and we try to win 50-48 every week. got it. sigh.

in other words, we run a grass-basketball offense where montez runs for his life. our gassed defense gives up 400 yards a game. and we try to win 50-48 every week. got it. sigh.

Just win, baby!

Solutions:

Quicker timing routes.

I am not an Offensive Line guru at all, so I really read and learn from the rest of you on this topic. I agree with a lot of what you said and I do believe the defense will be better and can stand up to much of the pressure a higher pace offense will place on them. Play creativity will help hide the OL issues, but the ability to have an OL be able to just maul the hell out of someone always is the way to dominate. I was forced to watch the Chiv game on Youtube because some idiot put it on here and like a car wreck I watched it and was wondering why back in the old days with Mac 1 and Barnett we used to use a line setup where we had a Strongside and Weakside and the Guard and Tackles would flip flop based on where on the hash marks and field we were at? So, educate me why we did that, how it made us better, and if it is even anything we would ever consider again?

Back