What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practices Thread

1. Develop young players like Lewis, Clayton, Hamm, Manea, A Williams, Faura, Olsen, Carter, Lucket, Lee, Senn and etc. Basically all the starters should be limited in my opinion, the focus should be on guys that are young and lack experience. Brousard and Fontenot should get maybe one two series. The rest of the guys should get the bulk of the work in the spring game.

2. Avoid injuries.

Maybe '01 or '02?

Yeah, I think most are afraid of the whole senior always plays mantra that we got with MM, but I don't get that sense at all with Dorrell. He has value in that room. If he had multiple years left then I would agree that we need to move on, but he is done after this year.
If Noyer is the best QB he will be the one who plays, that's how it should be.

I expect Lewis to step up and beat him for the job. He has been in the program for a year now, will get the emphasis in Spring practices and the off-season work and is a more naturally talented player.

I do expect Noyer though to be better than he was last year which was certainly a better QB than we have had in a lot of the years since Klatt and Barnett left. I don't think that will be enough to hold off Lewis although if it is then it means that either way we have a better QB than last season.

Shrout is kind of a wildcard who was highly thought of coming out of high school but hasn't stepped up in a way that any of us really know what he is or isn't capable of doing.

I would share the same concern as TScheck had with Noyer coming back if he hadn't already proven himself to be a team guy. My expectations are that after he gets beat out that he will be a team guy and have a positive influence on the other QBs and on the team as a whole.

Players do get better with more experience. Won't surprise me to see Joe Davis or Stacks play better.

Just that Broussard is going to be faster without the brace, Fontenot has been full go for a while and says he'll force his way onto the field, Hagan says Clayton has elite skills, and then there's Joe Davis and Deion Smith.

Hopefully, Joe Davis will get a lot of carries.

Are you thinking of the PCC?
Well that was the starting name, but evolved to the PAC from Pacific Athletic Conference, so it’s not really different from the ACC or SEC in that regard. Picking nits here of course.

Oregon and Oregon State joined in the summer of 1964.[75][76][77] With their addition, the conference was known unofficially as the Pacific Athletic Conference,[78][79][80][81][82] and then the Pacific-8 (as there already was a major conference called the Big Eight). In 1968, the AAWU formally renamed itself the Pacific-8 Conference, or Pac-8 for short. The Pac-8 did not allow a second bowl team from the conference until the 1975 season;[83] in basketball, participation in the National Invitation Tournament (NIT) was not allowed until 1973.[84]

Man this drives me crazy. Wear the brace, protect your body, play he full season, go to the NFL and prosper. The fraction of speed lost does not offset the safety of a brace! Take it off for you’re forty on pro day!
Exactly. The brace isn't why Broussard lacks elite speed.

Man this drives me crazy. Wear the brace, protect your body, play he full season, go to the NFL and prosper. The fraction of speed lost does not offset the safety of a brace! Take it off for you’re forty on pro day!
Weird take. Are there any NFL running backs that wear a knee brace? For his pro career, it's probably more important for him to exhibit that his knee is 100% than to protect a 100% healed knee with a brace.

I was one that wasn't thrilled with the idea of Noyer coming back, mostly because I felt like in doing so he positioned himself as the initial QB1 where Lewis and Shrout would have to be head and shoulders better to supplant him. As time has gone on, I'm actually glad he's back as he at the very least provides veteran leadership and competent ability as QB3 (likely). How long has it been since CU has had a QB room as deep as this?
a. you need 3 QBs and we should be good in that respect with Noyer (just for injury sake)
b. Would not be unheard of to see QB2 attempt another transfer in order to be a starter. Not comfortable that Shrout sticks around to play behind a freshman.

Noyer needs to be in the equation until he's not.

Its scientifically proven that wearing a brace on a healthy joint, weakens the joint. You take the brace off as soon as it's 100%
Please cite your sources. That's counter to my understanding.

edit: I am aware of research citing that wearing a brace 24/7 can do that, but we are only talking about practice and games, which account for a pretty small window of time in a given year.

Please cite your sources. That's counter to my understanding.

edit: I am aware of research citing that wearing a brace 24/7 can do that, but we are only talking about practice and games, which account for a pretty small window of time in a given year.
The ligament is 100% healed. The brace is more about the mental confidence in the stability of the knee. Once it’s fully healed, it’s not actually needed.

Source: Two ACL surgeries on my right knee and two different surgeons saying the same thing

This article discusses a review of 6 studies of the effectiveness of knee braces to prevent injury. If there was strong evidence of their value, I expect we would see far more otherwise healthy NFL players using knee braces in this manner.

To pile on here, Broussard himself mentioned in an interview that it increased his confidence to know he could go without the brace. Anecdotal evidence from practice claims he’s moving faster due to the confidence boost.

a. you need 3 QBs and we should be good in that respect with Noyer (just for injury sake)
b. Would not be unheard of to see QB2 attempt another transfer in order to be a starter. Not comfortable that Shrout sticks around to play behind a freshman.

Noyer needs to be in the equation until he's not.
Shrout isn't transferring again until at least after the season. His second transfer would result in a lost season

The ligament is 100% healed. The brace is more about the mental confidence in the stability of the knee. Once it’s fully healed, it’s not actually needed.

Source: Two ACL surgeries on my right knee and two different surgeons saying the same thing
This response does not, in any way, address the assertion that wearing the brace weakens the knee. That is the information I am unfamiliar with. I understand and agree with your reply here.

Shrout isn't transferring again until at least after the season. His second transfer would result in a lost season
Not fully sure how that would work in a Covid season, that isn't counting eligibility.
But the kid could transfer down and play. He's entering year 4.

This article discusses a review of 6 studies of the effectiveness of knee braces to prevent injury. If there was strong evidence of their value, I expect we would see far more otherwise healthy NFL players using knee braces in this manner.

Again, not the point I am contesting. I don't believe they do add value. I am simply questioning that they are actually "weakening the knee".

This response does not, in any way, address the assertion that wearing the brace weakens the knee. That is the information I am unfamiliar with. I understand and agree with your reply here.
Sorry I wasn’t responding to the part about weakening the knee. I was more responding to the part that it’s not needed for any physical reasons

Just that Broussard is going to be faster without the brace, Fontenot has been full go for a while and says he'll force his way onto the field, Hagan says Clayton has elite skills, and then there's Joe Davis and Deion Smith.

In one of the videos posted earlier in this thread there’s a clip of Clayton with a sick cut then explosive acceleration.

It is pretty standard procedure at most college programs and all NFL teams that offensive linemen, even those who have never had a significant knee injury wear braces as a protective measure against injury.

Virtually no NFL RBs wear a brace.

With the millions of dollars involved I would guarantee that NFL teams and multiple top college programs have had people much more qualified than those of us here examine the question of should RBs wear knee braces and they have answered that in almost all cases the answer is no.

If the brace prevented injury and the brace didn't hinder performance don't you think the NFL teams that are paying their backs millions of dollars would have them wearing them?

Again, not the point I am contesting. I don't believe they do add value. I am simply questioning that they are actually "weakening the knee".
Think of it like this, if you wear a brace or tape that restricts the the movement of a joint, the stabilizing muscles aren't used to stabilize because the brace I doing that job to an extent. This causes the stabilizing muscles to weaken, which makes the joint more prone to injury if the brace is off.

It is pretty standard procedure at most college programs and all NFL teams that offensive linemen, even those who have never had a significant knee injury wear braces as a protective measure against injury.

Virtually no NFL RBs wear a brace.

With the millions of dollars involved I would guarantee that NFL teams and multiple top college programs have had people much more qualified than those of us here examine the question of should RBs wear knee braces and they have answered that in almost all cases the answer is no.

If the brace prevented injury and the brace didn't hinder performance don't you think the NFL teams that are paying their backs millions of dollars would have them wearing them?
My understanding of linemen wearing knee braces was to prevent injuries due to being rolled up on in scrum-like piles. I seem to remember a discussion of that during an NFL game years ago.

I would also point out that if a brace has no medical use or benefit to a RB, then wearing one would be contra-indicated, exactly as Medford M aptly explained. The human body is meant to most optimally operate sans assistance.

It raises the interesting discussion of bare-foot running from the book Born to Run. Of course, the knee was not designed for hard lateral cuts nor being hit with a chop block - nor was a bare foot built to run on pavement.

I’d think his focus would be, in part, to help make the college experience better for our minority athletes in a school that is largely white.
From reading the information in the presser, his specialty is in programming to help the campus embrace inclusion and diversity as the athletic department’s representative. Hopefully he will get support from other departments on campus.

Back