What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practices Thread

Lewis should be the guy, if he puts in the work. Idk enough about the transfer guy to comment on him.
I really hope Lewis wins it outright. I suspected from his HS tape that he is a natural passer but I was surprised at his burst when running the ball. He’s quick enough to be a true dual threat and we need that so stinking badly.

I really hope Lewis wins it outright. I suspected from his HS tape that he is a natural passer but I was surprised at his burst when running the ball. He’s quick enough to be a true dual threat and we need that so stinking badly.
Yep, remember '94, Kordell could beat you either way. Since I've been watching, that was our best offense period. Lewis isn't a Kordell level athlete, not many are, but more than adequate.

It’s the only logical thing to do to figure out who the starting QB will be
My point is that things are different in today’s college football and recruits want to play and not sit. Lewis would have many takers in the Portal. In a normal year, Noyer would not be here anymore!
1 year of Noyer < 4 years of Lewis
Different conditions in todays college football world.

Spring game should be okay. I remember Hawkins having like 6 or 7 OL in one spring game. 10 to 11 OL is plenty to play a spring type game.

My point is that things are different in today’s college football and recruits want to play and not sit. Lewis would have many takers in the Portal. In a normal year, Noyer would not be here anymore!
1 year of Noyer < 4 years of Lewis
Different conditions in todays college football world.
If you are coaching afraid of having players with their panties in a bunch over not being declared the starter over a senior captain without a competition you have the wrong coach or the wrong players.

They don't have to play silly games, all they need to do is meet with Lewis and lay it out to him. He knows what Noyer is as a QB, saw him all last year. That is the standard he has to beat plus some assuming that Noyer is also going to better with an off-season to study and work after his first real playing time.

From there it's simple. If Lewis is better, which many on this board expect him to be, then he wins the job. KD has to simply make sure that he gives each guy a fair opportunity and that he then follows through and goes with the best player.

That is one of the ways a coach gets and keeps the respect of his team, not giving guys jobs because they "might" leave if they don't get their way.

If you are coaching afraid of having players with their panties in a bunch over not being declared the starter over a senior captain without a competition you have the wrong coach or the wrong players.

They don't have to play silly games, all they need to do is meet with Lewis and lay it out to him. He knows what Noyer is as a QB, saw him all last year. That is the standard he has to beat plus some assuming that Noyer is also going to better with an off-season to study and work after his first real playing time.

From there it's simple. If Lewis is better, which many on this board expect him to be, then he wins the job. KD has to simply make sure that he gives each guy a fair opportunity and that he then follows through and goes with the best player.

That is one of the ways a coach gets and keeps the respect of his team, not giving guys jobs because they "might" leave if they don't get their way.
You are absolutely right in a normal environment.
Let’s say Covid never happened, Noyer would have graduated, and we are on to a new competition of new QB’s who were recruited for this moment. Nobody should ever be just given a job without earning it. I am sold on Lewis and feel that based on us watching Sefo-Montez-Noyer for the past however many years that Lewis is far and away better than they were and will hope my instincts are correct. Its like watching Viska his freshman year just wasted cause of Seniors!

If the difference is marginal. You have to go with the younger player and play to the strengths of your player. The younger player can improve with more game experience. Can't trade a freshman for a 5th year senior.

You are absolutely right in a normal environment.
Let’s say Covid never happened, Noyer would have graduated, and we are on to a new competition of new QB’s who were recruited for this moment. Nobody should ever be just given a job without earning it. I am sold on Lewis and feel that based on us watching Sefo-Montez-Noyer for the past however many years that Lewis is far and away better than they were and will hope my instincts are correct. Its like watching Viska his freshman year just wasted cause of Seniors!
If you are correct, and there is a good chance you are then it won't matter. Lewis wins the competition, he teammates know that the best guy won the job and has earned their trust and respect, the guys who are friends or supporters of Noyer know that he got beaten out fairly, and the team moves on in a much better frame of mind.

HCKD doing it this way insures that he has the support of the team for the guy he sends out there. It also means that the guy who didn't win the job is still in a good place to be preparing as effective depth (while hoping for another chance to win the job.)

Covid changed a lot of things but ultimately it doesn't change the fact that positions from holder to QB need to be earned. Lewis is talented and has a lot of promise but for a coach to give him the job without proving it is inviting a lot of discontent with the guys who have been in the battle with Noyer, like him and trust him.

Talked to a player today. Said that for the spring game 1) probably won’t have fans and 2) it most likely won’t be a real spring game because they are basically only 2 deep right now. Guys are injured, guys that have left, etc.
I’ve heard this song before.

I do not know what O lineman are left in the portal but the Buffs better be looking. This staff’s miserable recruiting is going to be an issue sooner than later
One note samba.....anything else? Or do we continue to suffer with your next and the 127th take on this?

If you were a Broncos guy, you'd fit right in on the FAN104.3 with those multi-multiple takes!

One note samba.....anything else? Or do we continue to suffer with your next and the 127th take on this?

If you were a Broncos guy, you'd fit right in on the FAN104.3 with those multi-multiple takes!
Been here a long time and can be the most positive, and many times over positive, person on the board. Give it a rest newb and you better hope something changes because the Oline did not get recruited and that is a long term build position build with recruiting. Hope he fixes it with some transfers because in one off season it went from a strength to a huge liability.

Get a take yourself and add some value or are you going to just going to hope for rainbows and unicorns?

Back