What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practices Thread

My point is that things are different in today’s college football and recruits want to play and not sit. Lewis would have many takers in the Portal. In a normal year, Noyer would not be here anymore!
1 year of Noyer < 4 years of Lewis
Different conditions in todays college football world.
I think people are crazy to think Noyer is more than he was down the stretch last year. He caught lightning in a bottle early on, but teams figured him out by the end. If he's our Day 1 QB next year, we're cooked.

I like and appreciate what Sam Noyer did last year!
He made the Football season enjoyable as hell
BUT,,,,,
Senior Starter
Senior Captain
Led to Bowl Game
All a bit generous
Those sound all good, but here are the stats:
6 games, 88 completions, 160 attempts, 55% completion, 1101 yards, 6.9 Y/A, 6 TD's, 7 INT
That is not very good at all and we all know that.
He got lucky in a weird year. He's a very mediorce QB. VERY MEDIOCRE. Frankly, he'd be QB2 and maybe QB3 on almost every other roster in the conference. Let's be real - if we play 12 games last year, Noyer probably gets replaced about game 10, those numbers are even worse and we don't sniff a bowl game.

Ya gotta say, that totally really truly absolutely happened. No lie. Promise.
Basically truth. Radical concept.

And I wouldn't be so quick to bury Noyer.

People forget that he is a good enough athlete that he was able to play safety. They also forget that last year was the first real playing time he actually got at QB so in many ways he was a rookie out there.

He will be hurt by not participating in Spring practices and Lewis does look like the more talented QB but Noyer will have last years experience and now an off-season to review it, to study, and to prepare.

Lewis "should" be the starter next year but he is going to have to beat out a guy who was better than we have had recently in many ways and who will likely be better this year than last.

Best man wins based on the coaches evaluation, not on a fan vote.

Interesting hire considering the Athletic Department is one of the only diverse departments on CU’s campus.
I’d think his focus would be, in part, to help make the college experience better for our minority athletes in a school that is largely white.

that nonsense actually goes back to 1800's literature, believe it or not

m-w link
I love the pedanticness of the same group of people that continue to call this conference “the PAC”, like it’s an acronym or something, or like the ACC or the SEC.

Last edited:
I love the pedanticness of the same group of people that continue to call this conference “the PAC”, like it’s an acronym or something, like the ACC or the SEC.
this is a really good point, and I've been guilty of using "PAC" in written prose. looking at their website, they are consistent in using "Pac-12" in prose, but in fairness, they do use an all-caps "PAC 12" in the logo.

Just that Broussard is going to be faster without the brace, Fontenot has been full go for a while and says he'll force his way onto the field, Hagan says Clayton has elite skills, and then there's Joe Davis and Deion Smith.

Smith probably still recovering from his ACL year right?

I thought PAC originally stood for Pacific Athletic Conference.
Are you thinking of the PCC?

The Pacific Coast Conference (PCC) was a college athletic conference in the United States which existed from 1915 to 1959. Though the Pac-12 Conference claims the PCC's history as part of its own, with eight of the ten PCC members (including all four original PCC charter members) now in the Pac-12, the older league had a completely different charter and was disbanded in 1959 due to a major crisis and scandal.

Basically truth. Radical concept.

And I wouldn't be so quick to bury Noyer.

People forget that he is a good enough athlete that he was able to play safety. They also forget that last year was the first real playing time he actually got at QB so in many ways he was a rookie out there.

He will be hurt by not participating in Spring practices and Lewis does look like the more talented QB but Noyer will have last years experience and now an off-season to review it, to study, and to prepare.

Lewis "should" be the starter next year but he is going to have to beat out a guy who was better than we have had recently in many ways and who will likely be better this year than last.

Best man wins based on the coaches evaluation, not on a fan vote.
I like Noyer as a leader in the QB room but he just isn't a high level P5 QB. I think he is great for the QB room and will be a great mentor regardless of what others think to Lewis and probably Strout as well. He is tough as nails and will do anything asked. However, he has proven that he struggles mightily with reading the underneath defenders and constantly makes those mistakes. You could see the frustrations with Dorrell in the bowl game because he keeps making the same mistakes. He has value to the program and team but not as the starter, IMO.

I like Noyer as a leader in the QB room but he just isn't a high level P5 QB. I think he is great for the QB room and will be a great mentor regardless of what others think to Lewis and probably Strout as well. He is tough as nails and will do anything asked. However, he has proven that he struggles mightily with reading the underneath defenders and constantly makes those mistakes. You could see the frustrations with Dorrell in the bowl game because he keeps making the same mistakes. He has value to the program and team but not as the starter, IMO.
I was one that wasn't thrilled with the idea of Noyer coming back, mostly because I felt like in doing so he positioned himself as the initial QB1 where Lewis and Shrout would have to be head and shoulders better to supplant him. As time has gone on, I'm actually glad he's back as he at the very least provides veteran leadership and competent ability as QB3 (likely). How long has it been since CU has had a QB room as deep as this?

Hopefully Clayton overtakes Fontenot at some point.
Hopefully, they all push each other and depending on the game, one is always having a breakout game. I think each one has different strengths and we will be in really good hands with a rock-solid running game that would take pressure off of Lewis and help be way more efficient than the offense was later in the season last year.

I was one that wasn't thrilled with the idea of Noyer coming back, mostly because I felt like in doing so he positioned himself as the initial QB1 where Lewis and Shrout would have to be head and shoulders better to supplant him. As time has gone on, I'm actually glad he's back as he at the very least provides veteran leadership and competent ability as QB3 (likely). How long has it been since CU has had a QB room as deep as this?
Maybe '01 or '02?

Yeah, I think most are afraid of the whole senior always plays mantra that we got with MM, but I don't get that sense at all with Dorrell. He has value in that room. If he had multiple years left then I would agree that we need to move on, but he is done after this year.

Back