What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Olympic Sports- Transfers (incoming and outgoing) and other roster news

CU Volleyball taking a transfer who was dismissed from Oregon for alleged academic issue.

Assume this may have been the player indirectly referenced in the below tweet I posted in the commitment thread yesterday from Coach Mahoney?

Ms. Shebby is a talented player. Per her Oregon bio (http://goducks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5836) , She is A 6'1" outside hitter from Mater Dei HS in La Mirada, CA, was named to the Pac-12 All-Freshman (1st) team after the 2014 season, and was the #44 nationally ranked player ("Senior Ace") in her class coming out of high school per the main ranking service (prepvolleyball.com) . ***IF she can play this year, she'll be a junior. Per the stats in her bio page, looks like she had a better freshman year vs. sophomore year, but also missed 5-6 matches late in non-conference and early in conference play last season, so who knows if there were injury or other issues (well, obviously something was going on academically) she was dealing with.

***Even aside from any academic requirements she specifically might have to address, my general belief (from reading in this and other forums) was that transfers within the conference have to sit out a year (???), but I am NO expert. I know former Buff volleyballer Chelsey Keoho transferred TO Oregon a couple years ago and WAS able to play the next year for the Ducks, but she only played in 1 set her last season (2013) at CU, so I always assumed that was a special factor which allowed her to play immediately (Although, maybe waivers to play at another Pac 12 school are granted in sports other than football?). The article SD Buff linked to does say that she "... has a full release to transfer, an Oregon athletic spokesman confirmed Monday. ..."

In any case, welcome to her and hope all goes well for her going forward in Boulder!

Official announcement of Frankie Shebby joining Buffs volleyball as a transfer from the Ducks. Welcome to her!

(As discussed in more detail in the off-season volleyball thread, looks like she has to sit out this season due to transfer rules. It's not 100% stated in the article, but I kind of get the impression (since they mention she's a junior)/ hope that she'll still have 2 years of eligibility left.)

Direct link to article- http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2016/8/4/shebby-joins-colorado-volleyball-team.aspx

Looks like the tennis team is keeping its international flavor going. Welcome to Ms. Ronaldson!
(Per the article linked to below, she has 2 years of eligibility remaining.)

Direct link to article- http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2016/8/10/tennis-ronaldson-transfers-to-cu.aspx

Just read the article. Very solid addition. Was #4 singles and #2 doubles for Mississippi State as a soph, a P5 program that had a winning record while she was there. She will definitely help the team.

Wow- looks like the soccer coaches are NOT resting at all- one day after a tough loss ending a great comeback season -

Note- have no clue as to whether the above is DEFINITELY connected with this, but did see the below tweet from a reporter of a U. of Maryland-related independent paper a little over a week ago. Also, I see where CU Soccer is now following the young lady, so think there's at minimum a GOOD chance she may be the reason for the above tweet.

Assuming I'm guessing right, welcome and congrats to midfielder Cassie Phillips for coming and joining the Buffs!

Her U. of Md. bio - http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=210246803 (She started 12 of 16 matches and scored 1 goal for Maryland, who looked to have a tough season at 3-15-1 overall and 1-10 in the Big 10. A Michigan native, she breaks the common trend of most incoming Buff soccer transfers being a Colorado (or occasionally a neighboring state) student- athlete "coming home". From her bio, looks like she'll be a junior next season.)

Goal highlight- As noted above, she only scored one goal for the year, but it was a long drive beauty early in the season, and is featured at approximately the 1 minute mark of the below video.

Can't find a solid 2nd source so wouldn't consider this a 100% sure thing yet*** but, per the soccer commit and transfer database MarkW told me about many years ago (), looks like Buff soccer is picking up a transfer from the Georgia Bulldogs. Congrats and welcome back to Colorado midfielder Rebecca (Becca) Rasmussen!

Per her Georgia bio (see link below), Ms. Rasmussen is from Golden and Dakota Ridge HS, and looks like she will be a senior next season for the Buffs.

(***A couple further indications this transfer might probably be true are (1) she's not shown on the summary Georgia roster at this point and (2) there is a Rebecca Rasmussen showing in the Colorado.edu student search (although of course that 2nd item could just be coincidental).)

Her Georgia Bio- http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/w-soccer/mtt/becca_rasmussen_911901.html
(Assume she must be a solid passing mid-fielder. Per the bio, she was named the Georgia team's offensive player of the year as a sophomore, even though she "only" had one goal and two assists that year. Also looks like she was a top player during her prep years, as the bio has her with time at U.S. national team camps in most every age group from U14 to U20, and it says she was ranked #31 in her class by Top Drawer Soccer her senior year of high school.)

Again, best wishes to her during her year(s) in Boulder!

From the below, welcome and congrats to the newest (known of anyways) Buff student athlete, tennis player Ilana Oleynik! Ms. Olyenik, transferring in from Cal Poly, is a sophomore who will be available to compete immediately this spring (assuming she earns court time) as the tennis team starts its "main" (Pac 12, etc.) spring season!

Direct link to article - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/1/9/tennis-oleynik-to-join-buffs-for-spring-season.aspx

Well, with the soccer team getting a couple transfers in, it's always likely there may be an outgoing transfer or two. Per the below, forward Juliana Guthner has transferred to the U. of Portland after spending her freshman year as a Buff.

Best wishes to her!

(Per the stats (http://www.cubuffs.com/cumestats.aspx?path=wsoc&year=2016), Ms. Guthner played in 3 matches for a total of 19 minutes this past season. Also, looks like this should be a nice homecoming for Ms. Guthner, who hails from W. Lynn OR.)

As already noted in the Olympic Sports signing days thread (https://www.allbuffs.com/threads/20...-soccer-2-1-regular-4-12.121739/#post-2174724), soccer announced it has picked up a 3rd transfer in forward Jorian Baucom from LSU. She will be a senior next season for the Buffs. Welcome again to her!

Also, perusing the 2017 roster for soccer that was just put up, and last season freshman forward Kennedy Yost isn't showing up. Assuming this probably means she has left the team, either transferring out or "just" concentrating on school. Best wishes to her wherever her path has taken her. (Per last season's stats, doesn't look like she logged any playing time for the Buffs, so assume she'll be a red-shirt freshman next season if she has transferred.)

Also re the roster, not a personnel change, but wanted to mention it looks like defender Brooklyn Varnadore has taken last season as a redshirt (due to injury), so she will still be a sophomore next year.

The junior was a sometimes starter for Iowa State as a libero. Good addition for this squad. Need to improve the serving, digs and setting next season -- and we graduated Cece Simpson, the best player we had for that stuff.

From doing a little Google searching after seeing the below tweet from track and field assistant coach Lindsey Malone (she coaches the Buff multi-event and jump athletes), looks like the women's team received a transfer pole vaulter from the U. of Missouri starting THIS indoor and upcoming outdoor season.

Welcome and congrats to Bri Gibbs!

From Her 2016 Missouri track bio ( http://www.mutigers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4307&path=track) and a little research on Cubuffs -
1) Don't see any CU bio yet. (Assume one will be up soon?)
2) Her Missouri profile last season showed her as a red-shirt freshman for the Tigers, so assume she's a sophomore this 1st season as a Buff.
3) Great for the women to get a pole vaulter. Although it's not necessary in track and field to compete in every event, pole vault has been a VERY quiet event for the Buff women historically, so it's great to increase the number of events where the Buffs can compete in and potentially score points at conference meets, etc..
  • It looks like Ms. Gibbs career best 12'9" (3.89m) vault, from last season, would already have been the Buffs' all-rime outdoor (and overall) record by 5". I assume, again with her only being a sophomore this season, she has aspirations of improving on her career best by quite a bit over the next few years, so that current Buff record (12'4", from 2003) might not last the season assuming Ms. Gibbs is healthy and in good form.
  • It looks like that career best, if she had performed it at the Pac 12 Championships, would have earned her 5th place, and some nice points in an unexpected event. (I quickly scanned the results for the last 3 years of Pac 12 championships, and the Buff women didn't even have anyone compete in the pole vault those years, let alone potentially compete for a top 8 scoring position.)
  • Of course, assume it will take a bit of time for her to get her timing down early this INDOOR season, but just in case, wanted to note the Buff record book shows a 11'6.5" all-time indoors best (from 2002), while Ms. Gibbs' indoor best, again from her freshman season at Missouri, is evidently 11-6.25.)

Thanks, Aztec. Glad to see CU making these types of moves to give the squad a chance to compete for championships. For too long, it's been Distance at the expense of everything else. Finding a way to maintain elite status in Distance while bringing everything else into the fold at a high level is a very big deal for the program.

Also said:
forward Kennedy Yost[/B] isn't showing up. Assuming this probably means she has left the team, either transferring out or "just" concentrating on school. Best wishes to her wherever her path has taken her. (Per last season's stats, doesn't look like she logged any playing time for the Buffs, so assume she'll be a red-shirt freshman next season if she has transferred.)

Just to close the Buff story on Ms. Yost, looks like she has ended up as a Montana Grizzly (http://gogriz.com/news/2017/3/3/soccer-kennedy-yost-finds-her-purple-patch.aspx). Again, best wishes to her!

(This should probably be a separate thread, but sounds like she may feel she was not well-served with the whole VERY early-recruiting process which is common, especially in the "Olympic" team sports. In both the lacrosse (http://network.laxpower.com/laxforum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61768&sid=bba107ada68993e15e958a3b147abe7c) and volleyball (http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/67951/early-commitments) forums I visit, sounds like the coaches are agreeing in wanting changes themselves. From SKIMMING the threads, as well as reading an Ivy League formal proposal (http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/info...ly_Recruiting_of_Prospective_Student-Athletes), sound like the common thought to improve things is changing it so that coaches' direct contact couldn't start and verbal offers couldn't be made until September 1st of a potential student athlete's high school junior year.

I think there's been TALK of changing the rules for quite awhile- be interesting to see if anything actually changes.)

Last edited:
sound like the common thought to improve things is changing it so that coaches' direct contact couldn't start and verbal offers couldn't be made until September 1st of a potential student athlete's high school junior year.
This really needs to happen. There is not way that a 15-16 year old should be receiving an offer and making a choice about college. And it doesn't make sense for coaches to feel the pressure to give offers to players before they have at least started their junior year of HS. I state this while observing that my female students are fairly emotionally and academically mature as freshmen. At the same time, they just shouldn't by making a college choice until they are in or after their junior year. This will also help to cut down the high volume of transfers we currently are experiencing.

Have you seen all the freshmen women's basketball transfers from big time schools? This didn't used to happen.

Have you seen all the freshmen women's basketball transfers from big time schools? This didn't used to happen.

It was inevitable. If I'm a McD's AA, I'm not going to sit around for 2 or 3 years waiting my turn at one of the power schools.

It was inevitable. If I'm a McD's AA, I'm not going to sit around for 2 or 3 years waiting my turn at one of the power schools.
That doesn't apply to many of these players. For example, 2 of them were on the All-Freshman team for the Big 10, including one that was selected as national freshman of the year by one of the awarding groups. Some others were leading scorers for their teams. Many of these players are "looking for a better fit" and other such statements. Not a question of playing time for many of them.

Looks like golf has an incoming transfer!

(A VERY quick Twitter and Instagram search I did didn't find who it might be. With the season and school year over for the majority of student- golfers, I'd guess we'll hear soon (within the next couple weeks AT MOST) when an official signing takes place.)

Looks like golf has an incoming transfer!

(A VERY quick Twitter and Instagram search I did didn't find who it might be. With the season and school year over for the majority of student- golfers, I'd guess we'll hear soon (within the next couple weeks AT MOST) when an official signing takes place.)

Quoting myself- article now out on the newest Buff golfer.

Only a freshman this past season at McNeese State, welcome to incoming Englishman Daniel O'Loughlin to the Buffs!

Article - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/5/...ds-o-loughlin-to-golf-program.aspx?path=mgolf

Parts of the article-
"
Southland Conference's Player of the Year Transferring to CU

Roy Edwards has added one more player to his 2017 recruiting class, signing Daniel O'Loughlin, a sophomore-to-be transferring from McNeese State University in Lake Charles, La.

A native of Nottingham, England, O'Loughlin enjoyed quite a successful freshman season in his first year living in the United States. He earned first-team All-Southland Conference honors (just five players make the team), in addition to being named the SLC's Freshman of the Year. In helping McNeese State to the SLC title and a third straight berth in the NCAA Championships, he led the team in stroke average with a 73.03 figure, with 17 rounds of par or better (including two in the 60s).
O'Loughlin, who turned 19 on Thursday, played in all 13 tournaments (35 rounds), with seven top 20 finishes, including three in the top 10. His best finishes were a pair of fifth-place efforts in the fall season and back-to-back, in the David Toms Intercollegiate (216, +1) and in the Bayou City Collegiate Classic (214, -2); his top spring finish was a tie for eighth in the Tiger Classic (3-over 148). He finished 19th in the SLC Championship, where he turned in an 83-74-78—235 scorecard (+19; a tough course and weather issues had the average score of 79.8 in the tournament). He was 10 shots out the lead and was fourth among all freshmen. He tied for 38th in the NCAA Southwest/Austin Regional, carding a 75-76-70—221 score, helping McNeese State to a 10th place finish and the third-best score (10-under 274) in the final round.

"As soon as I arrived to campus I fell in love with the place," O'Loughlin said. "The University of Colorado offers everything any student-athlete could ask for. Together with an amazing golf program and outstanding athletic facilities there was no doubt in my mind that CU was the place I wanted to go. I feel as if there is everything I need in terms of support and facilities to be the best possible student-athlete.

"It's clear the golf program is fantastic as Colorado has produced many great golfers who have gone to perform with the world's best," he added. "I'm really excited to become part of the team and feel very lucky to have great coaches leading the team. I'm really looking forward to making this place my home for the next few years."
O'Loughlin joins two others in CU's 2017 recruiting class, a pair of Colorado prep stars in Cole Krantz of Windsor High School and Trevor Olkowski of Grand Junction High School. He will major in Business (Marketing) at Colorado.
"

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just looking at individual rankings (Can't remember or don't know which of these is considered "more important" (if either is)-
1) In Golfweek (http://rankings.golfweek.com/rankings/default.asp?T=mi), he was ranked #249 as a freshman (as I write this). That would place him 2nd ranked of the returning Buffs, with only next season senior Yannik Paul (ranked #147) ahead of him.
(A couple now graduated seniors (Jeremy Paul and Ethan Freeman) were also in the one hundreds for the Buffs this season.)

2) Golfstat (http://www.golfstat.com/2016-2017/men/conf/mcprkSO.htm?nav=&sty=so) has him at #279 for this season right now, which I'd assume would also make him the #2 "returning" Buff behind only Yannik Paul (#211 per http://www.golfstat.com/2016-2017/men/mncplhth.htm).

Being a trailblazer (at least for #ForeverBuffs), congrats and best wishes to 4 year volleyball starter at libero, and May graduate, Cierra Simpson, who will be joining the Loyola Marymount (of California) Lions beach volleyball team next season (Per http://www.lmulions.com/sports/w-svolley/spec-rel/053017aaa.html). She joins a growing trend of indoor volleyball players who, after exhausting their 4 years of indoor volleyball eligibility, use their 5th year of overall NCAA eligibility to go to a school that has an NCAA Beach Volleyball team. She always seemed a VERY competitive player, so assume she'll relish getting to continue playing competitively at a D1 program, in a new kind of volleyball, at least one more year. (Assume this will also give her a great opportunity to get in some grad school work.)

From the article -
"...
Simpson played four seasons at the University of Colorado, serving as a team captain in her final two campaigns. The native of Colorado Springs, Colo. became CU’s all-time career digs leader with 1,840, surpassing the former record by 300 (1,540). Simpson also set CU’s record for sets played with 493 and is the rally scoring era career services aces leader at 91. During the season, she recorded 444 digs, playing in all 121 sets to average 3.67 digs per set, the 10th best mark in the league.

“Cierra is a great addition to our 2017-2018 class,” Mayer said. “She’s been a rock in serve-receive for Colorado in the Pac-12 conference for the past four years. Her ability to pass the ball at a high level and to have elite ball control is a skill that is invaluable on the beach. She’s a tall libero at 6’0 and a very good jumper and athlete. I know she’s looking forward to taking some swings as she makes the transition to the beach game. Cierra is a dynamic, fun person who will bring a ton of great character to our team."
"

(Note- As usual for things I pass on regarding volleyball, thanks to the Volleytalk forum (in this case a May 31 post in the http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/66546/d1-transfers-2017?page=41 thread) for alerting me of this Buff-related news.)

Looks like the volleyball team has probably lost a key player, as the Volleytalk forum transfer thread (http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/66546/d1-transfers-2017?page=44) is saying next year senior setter/ outside hitter Gabby Simpson is transferring to Kansas. To try and get some verification, I went and looked at CU's "2017 Spring Volleyball" roster (http://www.cubuffs.com/roster.aspx?path=wvball&roster=419&sort=position), and she's no longer on it, so I assume the odds are the transfer news is accurate (and Volleytalk has enough people within the Volleyball world's "Beltway" that they usually get these rumor things right anyways).

One of my favorite players to watch, with a WIDE range of skills, Ms. Simpson missed both the beginning and end of last season with injuries (8 matches in total), and I believe I read she wasn't even healthy enough to play by the 1st spring scrimmages (I never heard one way or the other whether she played in the later spring matches). Even with the missed time, she was still one of three Buffs named Pac 12 Honorable Mention after last season, and obviously was also a major part of the Buffs successes her freshman (an NCAA tournament year) and sophomore (another CU best-ever Pac 12 record-tieing year at 11-9) years. Best wish to her- hope she experiences only happiness and success as a Jayhawk (except of course if they play the Buffs at some point).

(If the transfer news is true, and pending any LATE unannounced setter transfers coming INTO Boulder, this is going to leave the Buffs VERY inexperienced (but not without potential talent) at the crucial setting position, with both of CU's other setters who saw significant playing time last season having graduated. I may write something up about the apparent options and put it in the off-season volleyball thread a little later.)

Last edited:
Back