What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other Games 10/15 - 10/19

They are hoping he can continue Whittingham's overachievement for that program. And I hope he fails miserably.
If not for hiring Urban Meyer they may very well still be looking at being a part of the "new" PAC12 next year.

Whittingham managed to keep them winning well above their level but never back to the Meyer levels. Now they take another solid step down.

And now BYU is a power conference level program with much more support in the State.

If you watch to the end, you see an excellent example of doom. Hubris by Texas, then Georgia. I am not surprised SEC shorts subscribes to the one truth.

NIL greatly evened the playing field in the SEC. The top end of the conference no longer can retain talent like in the past and many of the programs are the top sports team for the entire state. That combo leads to unexpected week to week results where the difference in talent on the rosters is less than a decade or two ago.

A blue blood that hasn’t beat a ranked team since the Obama Administration? Also, a stretch calling USC a blue blood. If they weren’t in LA, they’d be average.
Press Conference Kermit GIF
Huh? SC is the definition of a blue blood

NIL greatly evened the playing field in the SEC. The top end of the conference no longer can retain talent like in the past and many of the programs are the top sports team for the entire state. That combo leads to unexpected week to week results where the difference in talent on the rosters is less than a decade or two ago.
I think maybe a bigger impact on talent parity is the playoff expansion. Now it's not just a handful of programs that a recruit or transfer would consider if he wants a legitimate opportunity to compete for a national championship.

A blue blood that hasn’t beat a ranked team since the Obama Administration? Also, a stretch calling USC a blue blood. If they weren’t in LA, they’d be average.

It's meaningless to speculate on what the effect of a school not being located in the city that it has been located in for 150 years would be?

USC is on a very short list of the most successful college football programs of all-time and are certainly a blue blood program.

I think it's NIL in combination with the portal. Players can and will leave with no consequences if they can get a better deal elsewhere, may that be more playing time, a better fit or more money ... that makes it difficult to keep everyone happy and actually build things if every player you have can just walk out of the building and leave from one moment to the other.

I think it's NIL in combination with the portal. Players can and will leave with no consequences if they can get a better deal elsewhere, may that be more playing time, a better fit or more money ... that makes it difficult to keep everyone happy and actually build things if every player you have can just walk out of the building and leave from one moment to the other.
This,

If they aren't getting the playing time or even the focus in game planning they can easily look someplace where the grass is greener. Position coach leaves and tells them he will make them a star at the new school they are out the door.

They are arguably the biggest program west of the Rockies.
Arguably? It’s not close. Oregon’s recent success is nothing compared to USC’s history.

Formed in 1888, the program has over 860 wins and claims 11 national championships, including 7 from the major wire-service: AP Poll and/or Coaches Poll. USC has had 13 undefeated seasons including 8 perfect seasons, and 37 conference championships. The Trojans have produced eight Heisman Trophy winners and 531 NFL draft picks, with the Heismans being the most all-time by a university, and NFL draft picks 1 behind Notre Dame's 532 USC alumni include 84 first-team Consensus All-Americans, including 27 unanimous selections, and 35 College Football Hall of Famemembers, including former players Matt Leinart, O. J. Simpson, and Ronnie Lott and former coaches John McKay and Howard Jones. The Trojans boast 14 inductees in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, tied with Notre Dame for most of any school, including Junior Seau, Bruce Matthews, Marcus Allen, and Ron Yary. Among all colleges and universities, as of 2022, USC holds the all-time record for the most quarterbacks (17) and is tied with the University of Miami for the most wide receivers (40) to play in the NFL.

The Trojans have 55 bowl appearances, 39 of which are among the New Year's Six Bowls. With a record of 35–20, USC has the second highest all-time post-season winning percentage of schools with 50 or more bowl appearances.

I agree that Whittingham is done at Utah after this season. He was definitely banking on Rising leading the Utes on a run to the CFP which is unlikely after this season so what's the point of coaching then?

Yes, eventually Utah will be truly Whitless.

Don't think anything has been officially announced but when the program is struggling, they've named the successor, and he has retirement built into his current contract odds are good.

https://www.si.com/college/utah/foo...has-interesting-retirement-clause-in-contract

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

If projections are correct for Utah in 2024, Whittingham will have more to brag about than success on the field. He’ll receive a total of $1 million in bonuses, if the Utes win the Big 12 and advanced past the second round of the College Football Playoff.

If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

just noting that USC hasn't sold out a game yet this year.

despite starting the season ranked. despite this being their first year in a brand new upgraded conference. despite having reduced stadium capacity multiple times. despite being located in the 2nd largest metro area in the US... they can't get 74k people to show up.

it actually looks like 2017 was the last time they managed to sell out the Coliseum.

noting the criteria are not well defined, USC is not a blue blood, IMO. maybe they were 20 years ago.

just noting that USC hasn't sold out a game yet this year.

despite starting the season ranked. despite this being their first year in a brand new upgraded conference. despite having reduced stadium capacity multiple times. despite being located in the 2nd largest metro area in the US... they can't get 74k people to show up.

it actually looks like 2017 was the last time they managed to sell out the Coliseum.

noting the criteria are not well defined, USC is not a blue blood, IMO. maybe they were 20 years ago.
They've almost never sold out the coliseum. That's not a measure of blue blood-ness. I went to a game in the coliseum in 2005, that USC team that lost to Vince Young's Texas in an epic Rose Bowl, it was nowhere close to full. If you've ever been, it's a pretty unimpressive crowd. They mic'd up the cheerleaders to make it seem loud. Incredible team on the field, disinterested crowd in the stadium.

They've almost never sold out the coliseum. That's not a measure of blue blood-ness. I went to a game in the coliseum in 2005, that USC team that lost to Vince Young's Texas in an epic Rose Bowl, it was nowhere close to full. If you've ever been, it's a pretty unimpressive crowd. They mic'd up the cheerleaders to make it seem loud. Incredible team on the field, disinterested crowd in the stadium.
like I said, the criteria for 'blue blood' isn't well defined, but I think fan support is generally considered to be one. And, attendance seems the best measure of fan support. I'm OK with you not considering that as a criteria though.

like I said, the criteria for 'blue blood' isn't well defined, but I think fan support is generally considered to be one. And, attendance seems the best measure of fan support. I'm OK with you not considering that as a criteria though.
National Championships, Conference Championships, how often ranked, national awards like Heisman, players put in NFL, mean recruiting ranks, tv ratings, facilities/ resources. All that stuff determines your prestige a hell of a lot more than average attendance.

Anyway, I'm excited to see the renovations the Coliseum gets as an Olympic venue. Much needed.

about USC, I consider them a blue blood. but, I don't not enjoy them losing either. I remember talking with my dad about Lincoln Riley at OU in his first couple years and i said: I don't if he's so great or Rick Neuheisel.....22-3 or whatever first two years with Mac's guys. and a career .500 coach after that. Milked some into somether jobs.

so props to me. maybe.

my real point: I always thought John McKay is one of the most underrated CFB coaches of his era (or any). USC claims 4 NC's for him but there's a lot of goofy shizz in that late 60's-early 70's. Texas and Nebraska both claim 69 and 70. UPI/AP, revisionist history etc.

I doubt the 4 number is real in today's SID/PR crap world, let's give McKay a minimum of two. He never gets talked about in the same "rarified air" as Devaney or Royal.

It's Hollywood, they can't even pump up their own guy who deserves it.

Back