What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other Games Thread - MBB & WBB

The bubble this year is as clear as mud.

Another one drops today. Cincinnati, who most everyone thought had Top 15 talent heading into the season, lost a game at UConn in OT. They needed that one.

Also, Ohio State is loved by the metrics and has some very nice non-conference wins. They had a turnaround last week and were on the cusp of being back in the Top 25. Then they won at Michigan this week. Looking good. Until today... down 20 at Wisconsin with 5 minutes left (and Wiscy has been a shorthanded mess recently).

Loyola wins 70-68. Fun game that came down to the last play.

I like watching them play. Porter Moser is a good basketball coach.

Elleby wants this win over Washington bad. Fun to watch. Dude's having a game. 23 points with 13 minutes left.

51-45 WSU

Clemson down 2. Aamir Simms is out with the flu. Leading scorer who dropped 23 on us when we played.

Notre Dame just too good of shooters for Clemson. Hard to overcome a significant firepower disadvantage.

Rutgers down by 11 at home to a horrible Northwestern squad with about 11 minutes left if you get BTN.

Props to Rutgers for coming back to win in OT. That team has gotten every ounce of potential out of itself this season.

Sure, let's go with that. It's better than me soul searching by asking myself just how much I'd overlook if a CU hoops coach ever delivered an undefeated national championship season. 😧

Ok, Ill Bite... and this will likely get moved to the island pretty quick

What is so wrong with Knight? Understood he was a hot head, and went over a line with a few players. But I will argue, that you kinda knew that was likely going on, and if you were to go play for him, you knew that it was going to be tough. I don't think anyone who knew who he was was really surprised about what came out.

And, granted you clarified it with CU hoops, not just CU coach. There is a lot of checkered past with previous CU coaching staffs across the sports, and many people still love those coaches.

I personally, always enjoyed watching Knight, granted he is an a**hole, and it was more entertaining beating him. I watch sports to be entertained and he was one of the more entertaining coaches out there.

What is so wrong with Knight? Understood he was a hot head, and went over a line with a few players.

Grabbing players by the throat and choking them is not "over the line". He's a racist, misogynistic piece of ****, and it's pretty obvious that he's a petty little man. Tons of coaches can be disciplinarians with their players and earn their respect without having to scream like a loser and hit them.

There's a reason he and the other dinosaurs that act like jackasses are going away. Dean Smith, John Wooden, Calipari, Jay Wright, Mark Few... you can be a badass coach without being an asshole.

Grabbing players by the throat and choking them is not "over the line". He's a racist, misogynistic piece of ****, and it's pretty obvious that he's a petty little man. Tons of coaches can be disciplinarians with their players and earn their respect without having to scream like a loser and hit them.

There's a reason he and the other dinosaurs that act like jackasses are going away. Dean Smith, John Wooden, Calipari, Jay Wright, Mark Few... you can be a badass coach without being an asshole.
Yes, Knight is an asshole and took things way too far. Some of it was backlash from journalists who were like sharks with blood in the water after dealing with decades of Knight treating them like dirt. But he brought it all on himself.

That said, from a purely basketball perspective, I mourn how the game has changed with how guys learn it and then play it in AAU. With what they're looking toward with how offense is played in the NBA -- where they are going to more motion, but a 5-out motion which is kind of an elementary school offense to teach the game and develop kids with postionless basketball. If it's not 5-out, so much is clear outs and pick-n-roll. It's about impossible to run Knight's classic motion offense these days on the college level and that system was a thing of beauty when it was humming. Similarly, Wooden's offense was made antiquated by the 3pt line and I really miss that with how it dominated with bigs from the high post.

Yes, Knight is an asshole and took things way too far. Some of it was backlash from journalists who were like sharks with blood in the water after dealing with decades of Knight treating them like dirt. But he brought it all on himself.

That said, from a purely basketball perspective, I mourn how the game has changed with how guys learn it and then play it in AAU. With what they're looking toward with how offense is played in the NBA -- where they are going to more motion, but a 5-out motion which is kind of an elementary school offense to teach the game and develop kids with postionless basketball. If it's not 5-out, so much is clear outs and pick-n-roll. It's about impossible to run Knight's classic motion offense these days on the college level and that system was a thing of beauty when it was humming. Similarly, Wooden's offense was made antiquated by the 3pt line and I really miss that with how it dominated with bigs from the high post.

One of my favorite things to do when I get bored is to watch Bob Knight interviews. I never thought about it that way, but that is a good point about how you cannot go pissing off the media for years, then once they have a crack, they are going to blow it all open. Interesting to think about if a coach did the same thing, but had a good relationship with the media.

I don't think that the stuff he did was appropriate, or should get a blind eye at all. I was always entertained with his knowledge of basketball, and the antics. Glad I wasn't the one in charge there trying to control it.

Impressive win by Duke. Classic emotional hangover game & they were vulnerable tonight. Big win and they are not a team you want in your Dance region.

I kept switching back to my CBSSports scoreboard window to get an update on the Baylor-Texas game.

After 3 times checking in and wondering why it hadn't changed, I realized that 22-16 is a flippin' halftime score. Hope the tickets were cheap.

I guess Texas Tech decided to make a statement in a rivalry game to all the folks who were questioning if they belonged in the Top 25.

TTU 88
TCU 42

Oh my!

I guess Texas Tech decided to make a statement in a rivalry game to all the folks who were questioning if they belonged in the Top 25.

TTU 88
TCU 42

Oh my!

I still don't know where to put Texas Tech. They really took it to Kentucky and nearly won that game. However, it was at home and I felt the Refs there were letting them play their game. They play a very physical, jagged elbow game and depending on who the Ref is they will win or lose.

I still don't know where to put Texas Tech. They really took it to Kentucky and nearly won that game. However, it was at home and I felt the Refs there were letting them play their game. They play a very physical, jagged elbow game and depending on who the Ref is they will win or lose.

Made the mistake of watching espin college bball review last night. More like the nightly b1g / acc nightly review (I wish I could get that 1/2 hour of my life back...).

Greenberg (iirc) said the red raiders D focuses on taking away the opponents best player.

Made the mistake of watching espin college bball review last night. More like the nightly b1g / acc nightly review (I wish I could get that 1/2 hour of my life back...).

Greenberg (iirc) said the red raiders D focuses on taking away the opponents best player.
They basically get physical then when the better player retaliates do Hollywood level flops. I jested with my wife after watching the Kentucky game that Tech should not be mad that they lost because one of their players easily picked up an Oscar for his performance.
I know the flopping was supposed to go away but that seems very dependent on who the Refs are in the game.

They basically get physical then when the better player retaliates do Hollywood level flops. I jested with my wife after watching the Kentucky game that Tech should not be mad that they lost because one of their players easily picked up an Oscar for his performance.
I know the flopping was supposed to go away but that seems very dependent on who the Refs are in the game.
It's a style that works. Rick Pitino was the master. If all 5 guys are fouling, the refs can't call them all and they're going to start letting it go rather than blow the whistle every trip. Easiest thing to do in basketball from a style perspective and forcing teams to play your way are slowing the pace and making the game physical. TTU does both and they're hard to deal with.

It's a style that works. Rick Pitino was the master. If all 5 guys are fouling, the refs can't call them all and they're going to start letting it go rather than blow the whistle every trip. Easiest thing to do in basketball from a style perspective and forcing teams to play your way are slowing the pace and making the game physical. TTU does both and they're hard to deal with.
Yes very much in line with teams from Pitino, Izzo, and Huggins.

Penn State is impressive tonight. Purdue has been very tough at home, even blowing out really good teams. PSU up 15 late.

Some decent games tonight. I thought Purdue was going to keep slaying Top 25 Big 10 teams, and so did Vegas as they were 5.5 favs, but they’re very inconsistent. Is Penn St actually good? I make good choices by having not watched them once all year.

Go Vandy!

Edit: **** Vandy’s court and bench layout though. WTH is that?

Some decent games tonight. I thought Purdue was going to keep slaying Top 25 Big 10 teams, and so did Vegas as they were 5.5 favs, but they’re very inconsistent. Is Penn St actually good? I make good choices by having not watched them once all year.

Go Vandy!

Edit: **** Vandy’s court and bench layout though. WTH is that?
I think Vandy was nice while it lasted. They're still up, but the last 4 minutes has been a highlight reel of Kentucky blocking shots and getting fast breaks.

Back