What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other games weekend of 10/27-10/29

Pirate - facial expression doesn't change. Not sure he actually knows what just happened.

I am even more excited after this weekend. We can play with, and beat any team in the Pac. I saw nothing from Washington to think they'll roll us at all if we play them. With the announcers acting like a Utah-Washington replay in the PAC championship game is going to happen, we have plenty of motivation the rest of the year. We OWE fUCLA big time, Az is marginal at best and both Wazzu and Utah are beatable, especially at home.

The rest of the country is just like the PAC, lots of parity and any team is beatable.

No way, shape or form will CU be ranked ahead of the Huskers this season. LOL! None the less, it sucks to go down in overtime to a top rated team. I'm not sure if Ohio State can be beat in their house, but it will be a great game.

Oh, and it's great to see I'm still rolling around CVilleBuff's head like marbles in a jar. Thanks for the call out. GBR!
Get used to disappointment.

I'm re-posting this because I think it is a cool story that people will want to know about. It got lost in the frenetic game updates from yesterday afternoon.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-griffin-three-hands-nfl-dreams-espn-magazine

Great story here - I'm surprise I had not heard of it before. Twins playing for UCF. One of them (Shaquem) only has one hand. Against Houston today, he "only" had 14 tackles, 2.5 sacks, and 3 TFLs.

Wow!

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400869549

i was kinda excited for Wyo when i saw that. nice conference run going......and i'm sort of closet-fan of the brown unis....not sure why.

I like that Craig Bohl embraced what Wyoming is instead of trying to be something else. Threw out the uniform combos - they have 2 (home & away). Their recruiting pitch is: "If all you want to do is get an education and play football, this is the place for you. If you want a big social life, go somewhere else." Their motto is "Cowboy Tough". Their recruiting is focused on Colorado players along with some guys from Nebraska, Wyoming and other local.

The point I'm making here is that a program has to be true to its DNA if it wants to be successful. Wyoming is being true. With Utah State and @UNLV the next 2 weeks, they should be 8-2 (6-0) heading into its final 2 games. Take care of business and then get a split out of SDSU and @UNM... and they're going to the MWC Championship Game. Amazing.

Many thoughts after week 9:
-Washington is not as good as #4 - they are being helped by the gods. That punt return that won them the game contained not one, not two, but three clear blocks in the back that all the refs somehow missed. They are beatable if the gods sneeze.
-I am very concerned about Wazzu, but not about them beating CU. I am extremely afraid that our pass rush might hospitalize Falk, and I like that kid.
-Oregon still has a dangerous offense. They will win a few more games.
-Anderson has OSU rebuild on track
-The Stanford that ND, CU and Arizona played is the real Stanford...not the gimp that lost to Washington and Wazzu.
-Webb is an @$$hole, but he is top shelf @$$hole
-Arizona State is regressing to their mean
-AZ has dangerous fast athletes that RR can't make into a complete FB team. We need to be able to defend the edge against them.
-USC is the best team in the conference. Tragedy for us they didn't have it figured out in first four games or we might have had two Michiganesque losses on our record
-UCLA feels they HAVE to beat CU (cause they feel they CANT beat USC). They will come to Boulder with desperation and their best game plan of the year.
-Utah's meat is tough, but the gods frown on them.

I like that Craig Bohl embraced what Wyoming is instead of trying to be something else. Threw out the uniform combos - they have 2 (home & away). Their recruiting pitch is: "If all you want to do is get an education and play football, this is the place for you. If you want a big social life, go somewhere else." Their motto is "Cowboy Tough". Their recruiting is focused on Colorado players along with some guys from Nebraska, Wyoming and other local.

The point I'm making here is that a program has to be true to its DNA if it wants to be successful. Wyoming is being true. With Utah State and @UNLV the next 2 weeks, they should be 8-2 (6-0) heading into its final 2 games. Take care of business and then get a split out of SDSU and @UNM... and they're going to the MWC Championship Game. Amazing.

they have a significant coaching tradition up there....at least the early part of my lifetime....unfortunately for the Cowboys most of those guys got famous after Wyo was a kind of stepping stone. when they hired Dave Christenson from Pinkel's Mizzou i wasn't sure how that would go. from wiki: not comprehensive list...some highlights...Bob Devaney, Pat Dye, Fred Akers, Dennis Erickson, Joe Tiller...etc.

i'm kinda pulling for them this year. and i was a fan of former Wyo hoopster Fennis Dembo. so, hey.

They have a very good QB as well. Has made a world of difference for them this year.

Growing up I pulled for all the Front Range schools from the Springs on up to Laramie. I was partial to CU, but I wanted all of them to do well. They all had stories, box scores, etc in the Denver Post, so I follow everyone.

I wasn't really a fan of a couple of Wyo's coaches since Joe Tiller, other than Joe Glenn, but I'm happy to see them having success again.

i was kinda excited for Wyo when i saw that. nice conference run going......and i'm sort of closet-fan of the brown unis....not sure why.

When you look at all the stupid uniform stuff going on around the country from looking like giant highliter markers at Oregon to clown suits like Maryland to teams going out in colors that aren't even their own colors it is refreshing to see a team that sticks with their tradition, that is willing to say this is who we are and will be, deal with it.

I wonder how long Wyoming can last as a BCS level program. They don't have a media market that can generate revenue, their fans are highly loyal but are to spread out to turn out in numbers for games. They had been getting some significant money from the energy industry but the downturn hasn't helped them there

For a while their average home attendance was hovering well below 20k a game.

If they weren't already established as a G5 program there is no way they would have a program at that level from scratch. Logically they would be a very successful FCS program along the lines of those in the Dakotas and Montana, Schools that are in states that are similar in terms of demographics and culture.

I follow them and wish them well because they always seem to recruit a lot of Colorado kids who aren't quite P5 level and those kids do well there.

Washington may not be worthy of what we consider a traditional #4, but not many are this year. We've seen Clemson and Louisville sputter, and that Penn State team OSU lost to is not a top 20 team. It looks like Alabama and everyone else to me. We have an opportunity to soar in the polls over the next month, just have to take it. What were we in 2001 pre-Nebraska? #15? With 2 or 3 top 25 games remaining, including 1 against a potentially undefeated UW, things could move fast as others pick up their 3rd losses.

When you look at all the stupid uniform stuff going on around the country from looking like giant highliter markers at Oregon to clown suits like Maryland to teams going out in colors that aren't even their own colors it is refreshing to see a team that sticks with their tradition, that is willing to say this is who we are and will be, deal with it.

I wonder how long Wyoming can last as a BCS level program. They don't have a media market that can generate revenue, their fans are highly loyal but are to spread out to turn out in numbers for games. They had been getting some significant money from the energy industry but the downturn hasn't helped them there

For a while their average home attendance was hovering well below 20k a game.

If they weren't already established as a G5 program there is no way they would have a program at that level from scratch. Logically they would be a very successful FCS program along the lines of those in the Dakotas and Montana, Schools that are in states that are similar in terms of demographics and culture.

I follow them and wish them well because they always seem to recruit a lot of Colorado kids who aren't quite P5 level and those kids do well there.

I think Wyo can survive as long as the MWC remains. They've been getting 26k or so to some key games I believe. They've done a masterful job in the past getting power conference teams to visit.

Idaho appears to be the first victim. NMSU in serious trouble too

I think Wyo can survive as long as the MWC remains. They've been getting 26k or so to some key games I believe. They've done a masterful job in the past getting power conference teams to visit.

I think we are going to see a group of schools drop sometime in the upcoming few years. It is simply getting to expensive to try to even pretend like you are a big time program and if you don't have the revenues it doesn't make sense to keep sinking millions of dollars a year into a program that will never compete for high level championships.

Really depends on how dependent the G5 program is on revenue from playing a P5 team. Getting to the point where you'll get no more than 1 of those a year if you're a G5.

I did some research on the attendance piece of FBS membership. There is a rule that you have to average 15,000 tickets sold "once over a 2 year period", but there are massive holes in this:
1) Kent St had the university buy over 57,000 tickets one year at $10 a piece to boost their "paid" attendance
2) If you miss the attendance number, the NCAA rulebook states that “further noncompliance with the Football Bowl Subdivision requirements within a 10-year period shall cause the institution to be placed in restricted membership.”
http://www.crainscleveland.com/arti...ootball-attendance-mandate-makes-it-difficult

I'm not even sure what that really means. Basically, if a school wants to stay FBS, there are levers to allow them to do so. That being said, there are plenty of schools out there that probably have no business being FBS and would benefit by dropping football completely or at least dropping down to FCS - if their collective pride would allow them to do so.

I did some research on the attendance piece of FBS membership. There is a rule that you have to average 15,000 tickets sold "once over a 2 year period", but there are massive holes in this:
1) Kent St had the university buy over 57,000 tickets one year at $10 a piece to boost their "paid" attendance
2) If you miss the attendance number, the NCAA rulebook states that “further noncompliance with the Football Bowl Subdivision requirements within a 10-year period shall cause the institution to be placed in restricted membership.”
http://www.crainscleveland.com/arti...ootball-attendance-mandate-makes-it-difficult

I'm not even sure what that really means. Basically, if a school wants to stay FBS, there are levers to allow them to do so. That being said, there are plenty of schools out there that probably have no business being FBS and would benefit by dropping football completely or at least dropping down to FCS - if their collective pride would allow them to do so.

This is the issue. There are a bunch of schools out there who equate playing BCS level football to being big-time. To them to not be participating means that they are irrelevant nationally and even locally.

This despite the fact that they are not and will likely never be competing for major bowls much less the championship. A lot of these schools are subsidizing their programs by $15-20 million a year or more without getting close to that kind of return.

Meanwhile the financial gap between those "have nots" and the "have's" continues to get larger.

CSU finances it's future building a stadium that would be one of the smallest in P5 football, with little hope of filling it more than once or twice a year. CU at the same time spends $186 million on facilities, mostly non-stadium, paid for mostly by donations that are already in hand.

There is simply no reason to believe that the financial disparities are going to improve for the bottom schools. Much more rational would be to move to a level in which they can compete without the financial losses. Be able to compete and win, have some success to sell to your alumni and students.

I read that the University of Idaho is going back into FCS from whence it came, and that NMSU is going to try to make it as an Independent. Wyo will be fine. If Bohl keeps them above .500 over time (and I think he will), they'll get the attendance they need.

Utah continues to impress. I don't get how that team overcomes huge injuries every year but I wasn't sold on them until Saturday. That offensive line is beastly and their coaching staff is amazing. How has no big school swooped Wittingham out of there already?

I like Wyoming, despite having no ties there.
More people live in the City and County of Denver (682k) than live in the entire state of Wyoming (586K).
Montana (1M) has nearly twice as many people as Wyoming.
While the Montana schools are content to run the FCS, Wyoming continues to try to play with the big boys. For that reason alone, I'm a fan.
A quick glance at the Wyoming roster on ESPN shows 10 of 99 players from Wyoming. How many of those are walk-ons vs. legitimate scholarship players, I'm not sure, but I would think many of the in-state guys are simply happy to be there.
They face a very unique and challenging set of circumstances, in that their state produces almost no FBS caliber players, their fans (who are quite loyal) are spread across a huge state, and the weather doesn't exactly beckon CA and TX recruits to Laramie.
The best thing they have going for them is that UW is the only school in Wyoming of any consequence. States like Montana, Idaho, and New Mexico, compound their issues by dividing loyalties between two or three schools.
If anyone can get them winning, I think Bohl can.

Reactions: aik
Back