What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other games weekend of 10/27-10/29

Color man: Cal's only down 18, their offense can score a lot of points.

Me: /looks at the 10 points Cal scored in the first half and remembers the TD was scored on a short field.

Sure.

SC will need to turn the ball over 3 more times or so for this to be a game, because Cal ain't going to stop them.

I would run off tackle every down until cal stopped it.

Just think how many yards Phil would have gotten against Cal!!! Ugh.

They went into the 4th up 7 about to kick a field goal which made it 27-17, Utah ball. Utah scored. So basically when they first touched the ball in the 4th, it was a 3 point game, far from the safe lead that you can just run away with like you suggest. Then they got to the Utah 37 on 4th and 3 and punted with 5 minutes left Utah drove in 5 minutes scoring a touchdown. Other than a questionable decision to punt (but they are facing Utah's D and did pin their offense back to the 7), that's pretty much just Utah playing well.

Utah fumbled on the USC 28 once, USC fumbled 3 times (twice around midfield, once at the Utah 13) The TO thing is the same argument USC fans use against us and I just don't buy it, their team can't hold onto the ball and good defenses are taking advantage of it.
All I remember was USC running it down their throat, going up 24-10 in the second half and then they just randomly stopped running the ball. Utah also needed 4 4th down conversions on that last drive right? USC was clearly the better team that night and coaching lost them the game.

All I remember was USC running it down their throat, going up 24-10 in the second half and then they just randomly stopped running the ball. Utah also needed 4 4th down conversions on that last drive right? USC was clearly the better team that night and coaching lost them the game.
On Utah's last TD drive, they converted two 4th and 1's from inside the USC 35. On the second to last TD drive, they also completed a 4th and 1 from the USC 12.

USC had 3 second half drives (excluding the single snap they had after Utah's final score). The scored on first 2, the 3rd was 6 plays, 3 passes and 3 runs when they were up by a FG.

It wasn't quite the way you are trying to portray it.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400869118

On Utah's last TD drive, they converted two 4th and 1's from inside the USC 35. On the second to last TD drive, they also completed a 4th and 1 from the USC 12.

USC had 3 second half drives (excluding the single snap they had after Utah's final score). The scored on first 2, the 3rd was 6 plays, 3 passes and 3 runs when they were up by a FG.

It wasn't quite the way you are trying to portray it.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400869118
USC averaged 6.5 yards a rush, how is that portraying it any differently than what happened? They went up by 14 and 10 in the second half and kept passing the ball and then punted in Utah territory. That's terrible coaching. Just like our game against them, they were clearly the better team but somehow the score doesn't reflect that.

USC averaged 6.5 yards a rush, how is that portraying it any differently than what happened? They went up by 14 and 10 in the second half and kept passing the ball and then punted in Utah territory. That's terrible coaching. Just like our game against them, they were clearly the better team but somehow the score doesn't reflect that.
You are conveniently skipping over the point that they scored on 2 of their 3 final drives. On the drive they punted, they rushed 3 times for 11 yards. Being up by 3 and punting on 4th and 3 to pin Utah back at their own 7 is normal coaching. Conservative maybe, but not unique.

Look, I have no love for Helton, but I just believe you are wildly overstating the way the game unfolded.

You are conveniently skipping over the point that they scored on 2 of their 3 final drives. On the drive they punted, they rushed 3 times for 11 yards. Being up by 3 and punting on 4th and 3 to pin Utah back at their own 7 is normal coaching. Conservative maybe, but not unique.

Look, I have no love for Helton, but I just believe you are wildly overstating the way the game unfolded.
I might be crazy but I think that when you average 6.5 yards per rush and have the best receiver in the Pac-12 you should be expected to score more than 20 points. Like I said in my first post turnovers are clearly becoming a theme with this team and the only explanation is coaching, especially with fumbles. Utah had come back from 14 and ten points do you are just going to give the ball back to them? That's not good coaching, especially on the road but I could see that as a normal move at home. The only reason Utah was in the game was because the time of possession favored them and the USD d got worn out. On that last drive there were four passes and basically only 2 runs since one was an end around to Juju, sorry but I believe the fourth quarter when you are leading and averaging 6.5 YPC is when you run the ball and put the game away.

UNC would have had a much better shot at making a game out it in the ACCCG. However, tonight all but assures it will be VT representing the weak Coastal against Clemson (or Louisville). Not going to say Hurricane Matthew is the sole reason VT won in Chapel Hill and thus controls the division, but it certainly didn't hurt (to say the least). UNC could have at least had a small shot in a shootout. Outside of Bud working one of his masterpieces and Clemson's offense sputtering, it's going to get ugly, fast. VT gets destroyed by QB's like Clemson's Watson. That's their achilles heel.
that's generous, the score was 34-3 Hokies, at UNC.

The division isn't quite a lock, but it's fair for VT fans to start talking about the ACCCG. You might be right about VT getting destroyed, but I'll take the shot. A division championship would be above expectations for HCJF's first year.

that's generous, the score was 34-3 Hokies, at UNC.

The division isn't quite a lock, but it's fair for VT fans to start talking about the ACCCG. You might be right about VT getting destroyed, but I'll take the shot. A division championship would be above expectations for HCJF's first year.

Clemson is clearly a step above but I haven't seen anyone else in the ACC that VT doesn't at least match up with. VT was and still is a better team than UNC this year, nothing to do with the hurricane. Louisville and FSU would likely be favored over VT but I'd give them a decent shot against them.

I think Louisville is the best team in the ACC this year. Came up a few yards short at Clemson, so they missed their opportunity. Only other non-dominant performance was sleepwalking to a win at Duke.

I might be crazy but I think that when you average 6.5 yards per rush and have the best receiver in the Pac-12 you should be expected to score more than 20 points. Like I said in my first post turnovers are clearly becoming a theme with this team and the only explanation is coaching, especially with fumbles. Utah had come back from 14 and ten points do you are just going to give the ball back to them? That's not good coaching, especially on the road but I could see that as a normal move at home. The only reason Utah was in the game was because the time of possession favored them and the USD d got worn out. On that last drive there were four passes and basically only 2 runs since one was an end around to Juju, sorry but I believe the fourth quarter when you are leading and averaging 6.5 YPC is when you run the ball and put the game away.
And those 2 runs went for 1 yard and -1 yard. You are saying you should run the ball, but when they did, it failed.

I do agree they have a serious turnover problem. They left a lot of points on the board last night against Cal.

I'm certainly not saying they have good coaching. I do believe you are looking for something that isn't there - as evidenced by misrepresenting multiple things that happened in the 4th quarter that I have politely pointed out.

Last edited:
I think Louisville is the best team in the ACC this year. Came up a few yards short at Clemson, so they missed their opportunity. Only other non-dominant performance was sleepwalking to a win at Duke.
I might agree. either way, the ACC Atlantic might be the toughest division in college football. Above BC, there's not a team in that division that's a given win.

UNC would have had a much better shot at making a game out it in the ACCCG. However, tonight all but assures it will be VT representing the weak Coastal against Clemson (or Louisville). Not going to say Hurricane Matthew is the sole reason VT won in Chapel Hill and thus controls the division, but it certainly didn't hurt (to say the least). UNC could have at least had a small shot in a shootout. Outside of Bud working one of his masterpieces and Clemson's offense sputtering, it's going to get ugly, fast. VT gets destroyed by QB's like Clemson's Watson. That's their achilles heel.
Well, that was the first time I had seen them play a game this year. If they would have had the first tackler get the ball carrier just 50% of the time, they would have put Pitt away easily....

I think you are right, Clemson or Louisville will score at will.

I don't think there's any question USC is the best P12 team CU has faced this season thus far. They are a force to be reckoned with right now.
They might be the best Pac 12 team, period. That November 12th game looms extremely large for the fortunes of the Buffs Rose Bowl chances.

Really? Seems ridiculous? USC has the talent to beat anybody and they seem to have completely figured it out.

I will believe that SC has figured it out when a the end of the season they have gone without falling apart and losing games they shouldn't.

They have a ton of talent, NFL players all over the field and when they are rolling it's hard to stop them. They have had a ton of talent plenty of time though and just when it looks like they are rolling the wheels fall off.

Will that happen this year? Don't know but I've seen it often enough from them not to see it as a possibility or better.

It's really all that is holding USC back right now. It's not far fetched to suggest USC is the best team in the PAC 12 at this time, or by the end of the year.

Depth in the trenches is an issue for them, too. It's why CU not playing at close to normal pace was a killer when we played there. Get into their 2-deep and they are very beatable. I think Washington will do just that and wear them out.

Since Darnold has been a full time starter, USC is 5-1 with their lone loss coming in his first start, on the road, against Utah... Yeah. USC is a completely different team now than they were when they got blown out by Bama and beat by Stanford.

USC dominated that game last night. The final score was much closer than the game was.

Cal rarely stopped USC's offense the entire game. Usually when USC didn't score it was due to a turnover or a penalty putting them back, even on the penalties they managed to convert some ugly down and distance situations.

That was against Cal though. Against a team like Washington if they start turning the ball over or putting themselves into 3rd and long yardage they won't win. Different level of competition.

I'd love to think a healthy Sefo running an up tempo game would have won them that game, but I have my doubts. USCs offense is a machine. A machine that happens to turn the ball over more than it should, but a machine none the less.

Back