What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other games weekend of 10/27-10/29

I think we'll probably stay in the AP Top 25 after that Navy loss.

Should, but we're going to have to watch Okie Lite against #10 WVU. Wazzu won't get much bump from Oregon State if they win.

#24 Penn State really shouldn't even move up a single spot if they beat ****ty Purdue, but Nebraska showed us the B1G circle jerk is prepared to move you up a few spots no matter what garbage B1G team you beat.

Should, but we're going to have to watch Okie Lite against #10 WVU. Wazzu won't get much bump from Oregon State if they win.

#24 Penn State really shouldn't even move up a single spot if they beat ****ty Purdue, but Nebraska showed us the B1G circle jerk is prepared to move you up a few spots no matter what garbage B1G team you beat.
Boilers are ripe to upset Ped State

Boilers are ripe to upset Ped State

Let's hope. It's at Ross-Ade. Outside of a fourth quarter against OSU last week, PSU hasn't resembled a top 25 team. They beat up on a crap Maryland side. That was their bragging point until last week.

How did USF let Navy back in that game. The final score was closer than the game seemed it should be.

Didn't we get ranked after beating OSU?

Seeing as Wazzu as 26th it wouldn't take "much bump" to be ranked.

I'd argue our bump post-Oregon St was still largely leftover from winning in Autzen and belated attention grabbing

What we don't know is whether Wazzu is 26th in the minds of the CFP crew. For all we know, they could be 15 or 45 right now.

And guess who helped put an end to that nonsense?

http://www.denverpost.com/2007/12/27/1969-buffs-made-their-mark-on-racism/

(Not Jizla; old story by Woody, trust me you want to click for this one)

Great story ski ... thanks for posting. I knew the anecdote about Sam "The Bam" Cunningham of USC inspiring the Bear to finally integrate his program (I think it's in Bo Schembechler's "autobiography as told to" Mitch Albom) ... but I had no idea that CU had played Bama in '69, that our guys were so subject to verbal and physical abuse, and that we actually stole his first black recruit. Sweet. :)

Re the Cunningham anecdote ... it goes that after the game in which USC had run all over his defense, he asked Sam "The Bam" to come into the Bama lockerroom, pointed to him, and told his team "this, gentlemen, is a football player." The days of an all-white team at Bama were over for good.

Last edited:
Great story ski ... thanks for posting. I knew the anecdote about Sam "The Bam" Cunningham of USC inspiring the Bear to finally integrate his program (I think it's in Bo Schembechler's "autobiography as told to" Mitch Albom) ... but I had no idea that CU had played Bama in '69, that our guys were so subject to verbal and physical abuse, and that we actually stole his first black recruit. Sweet. :)

Re the Cunningham anecdote ... it goes that after the game in which USC had run all over his defense, he asked Sam "The Bam" to come into the Bama lockerroom, pointed to him, and told his team "this, gentlemen, is a football player." The days of an all-white team at Bama were over for good.

Unfortunately, it's not true.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pac12/post...m-recalls-uscs-historic-1970-win-over-alabama

As for the many myths surrounding the game, no, USC wasn't the first team with star black players to whip Alabama on its home turf. Rival Tennessee thumped the Tide 41-14 at Legion Field the previous year with receiver Lester McLain and linebacker Jackie Walker.

No, Bryant didn't bring Cunningham into the Alabama locker room to tell his players, "This is what a football player looks like!" Bryant, Cunningham recalled, did graciously congratulate him and other Trojans after the game.

As for integrating the Tide, Bryant was without question slow to do so, but he did have a black player on his team in 1970, freshman Wilbur Jackson, who was in the stands during the game because freshmen were not yet allowed to play. Bryant also ended up pilfering an African-American USC recruit, John Mitchell, in 1971. Mitchell was a co-captain and an All-American in 1972.

Heard on College Game Day this morning something to this effect:

Over the last N years (I don't recall the N), the top 5 teams in the ratings (at this juncture) have gone .500 from this point forward....

Expect lots of shakeups in front of us. CU needs to just win baby.

Last edited:
Undefeated Michigan as one of the 4 is not a bad thing for the perception of CU.
But if we have far-fetched dreams of ending up in the playoffs as a 2-loss team by running the table, wouldn't we'd be better served by having fewer undefeated teams at the end of the regular season?

EDIT: Frumpy & I are shaving the same gerbil.

Do we want Michigan or MSU to win?

Well ... I certainly know who I want to win, since UM is my second team. But I'm pretty sure a Wolverine win does a lot more to enhance CU's rep than a UM loss would.

But if we have far-fetched dreams of ending up in the playoffs as a 2-loss team by running the table, wouldn't we'd be better served by having fewer undefeated teams at the end of the regular season?

There is no chance that a 2-loss team will get into the playoff ... unless of course it's from the $EC.

The past two years, there have not been any 2 loss teams in the playoffs. Anything is possible, I suppose, but it would be highly unlikely.

On the very, and I mean very, slim chance that CU sneaks into the playoffs, don't we need the undefeated teams to lose?

We do. Or we need the 3 slots from ACC, SEC and B1G to be set with no-brainer picks and for it to come down to a 2-loss Pac-12 Champion CU vs Big 12 Champ, highest G5 or a non-champ. I think our most likely path is the "Or". For that, we need the Big 12 teams to suffer losses, Louisville to lose, Bama to go undefeated, and Boise State + W Michigan to pick up losses. Within that set of dominoes, Michigan being elite and USC being at least 8-4 representing our only losses (on the road with backup QB) makes the CU resume look very, very good.

Back