What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Being in the P12, it felt like we were the rustics out on the fringes, rejected by the snobs of the coast. We lost a lot of the secret sauce that set us apart when we moved to a homogenous conference of academic liberal bastions in pretty places that don’t care about football.

WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THE SNOBS AND WE HATE FLAT STATES FULL OF HICKS

I want to see CU roll into some little sh*thole town in a cornfield and crush the only thing those farmers care about. Football is precious to these hicks and there’s nothing I relish more than beating them on the field and reminding them of their poverty states. Political differences between states? Thank god, that adds to the heat too.

I want passion and hatred in my CFB. I love reading all the Big12 fans already whining about us coming back after abandoning them.

These away games destinations in the Big 12 suck and that’s what I like. I don’t go to games to enjoy the view, I do it to get hammered, watch football, and talk sh*t. Waco is an environment significantly more conducive to this behavior than San Francisco

Give me the Big 12 and let me hate our conference opponents again please

Being in the P12, it felt like we were the rustics out on the fringes, rejected by the snobs of the coast. We lost a lot of the secret sauce that set us apart when we moved to a homogenous conference of academic liberal bastions in pretty places that don’t care about football.

I want to see CU roll into some little sh*thole town in a cornfield and crush the only thing those farmers care about. Football is precious to these hicks and there’s nothing I relish more than beating them on the field and reminding them of their poverty states. Political differences between states? Thank god, that adds to the heat too.

I want passion and hatred in my CFB. I love reading all the Big12 fans already whining about us coming back after abandoning them.

These away games destinations in the Big 12 suck and that’s what I like. I don’t go to games to enjoy the view, I do it to get hammered, watch football, and talk sh*t. Waco is an environment significantly more conducive to this behavior than San Francisco

now this is an interesting take. unhinged, disturbing, and possibly rooted in some scary core truths, but interesting...

now this is an interesting take. unhinged, disturbing, and possibly rooted in some scary core truths, but interesting...
Hyperbole is my jam

Seriously tho I’m way in favor of brand and cultural differentiation when it comes to our situation. I think being grafted onto a conference where you’re a watered down version of existing members is bad for fan engagement, recruiting that footprint, exposure, and bad for rivalry interest.

People rally around teams much stronger in all sports when there are significant off-field differences such as culture or income but relatively close geography between teams.

Last edited:
As one of the few people on this board whose fandom for CU hasn’t slipped into complete apathy, I’m really struggling to decide which outcome I’d prefer for CU in all of this.

Invited to the B1G

Heart: It would solidify that CU is still viewed as a relevant institution and program despite the lack of recent success. It would provide them with all the monies and allow for “the dream” to remain alive with the hope of hiring good coaches and getting good recruits.

Head: CU would continue to remain a miserable bottom feeder, getting raced by 75% of the conference, but at least wiping tears with $$$$

Big 12

Heart: Not pumped about the idea of playing in a clear second rate conference that will struggle to have any team vie for a championship

Head: This probably represents the best chance for CU to compete and it’s still a decent conference a step above the G5s

stanford's investment in athletics are not driven by the same factors as any other power conference team. have you guys been to the stanford campus. every men's and women's sport has dedicated facilities. it is freaking gorgeous. empty and soulless and devoid of winners usually, but still impressive.

revenue generation is not a factor in the investments they made in their sports programs.

cal on the other hand is a public school and likes to trip over itself, much like CU.

i think i might dress up in one of those handmaiden's tale costumes for the first cal at baylor game.
Stanford women’s golf team is one of the best college golf teams ever assembled, and yes, their facilities are sick. If anyone is into college golf, there is a great “week in the life” of that team.

As one of the few people on this board whose fandom for CU hasn’t slipped into complete apathy, I’m really struggling to decide which outcome I’d prefer for CU in all of this.

Invited to the B1G

Heart: It would solidify that CU is still viewed as a relevant institution and program despite the lack of recent success. It would provide them with all the monies and allow for “the dream” to remain alive with the hope of hiring good coaches and getting good recruits.

Head: CU would continue to remain a miserable bottom feeder, getting raced by 75% of the conference, but at least wiping tears with $$$$

Big 12

Heart: Not pumped about the idea of playing in a clear second rate conference that will struggle to have any team vie for a championship

Head: This probably represents the best chance for CU to compete and it’s still a decent conference a step above the G5s
I'm with you. Of course I'm somewhat hoping for a B1G acceptance, because Nebraska and $$$$$. But IF we were in a Big XII with ASU, Arizona, Utah, BYU, and some old Big 8 brethren, that's honestly not bad at all. College football is about regionality and rivalries to me. The B1G offers us money and the true rival. The Big XII (potentially) offers us a regional cohort with the at least some potential for multiple semi-rivalries, along with a much better chance (in theory) to compete.

I'm with you. Of course I'm somewhat hoping for a B1G acceptance, because Nebraska and $$$$$. But IF we were in a Big XII with ASU, Arizona, Utah, BYU, and some old Big 8 brethren, that's honestly not bad at all. College football is about regionality and rivalries to me. The B1G offers us money and the true rival. The Big XII (potentially) offers us a regional cohort with the at least some potential for multiple semi-rivalries, along with a much better chance (in theory) to compete.
The hope with a B1G application and acceptance is that it would signal that CU might embrace a “second chance” opportunity to emphasize athletics.

If they truly aren’t interested in investing in athletics, I can’t imagine they would even apply for membership

Yes!! Growing up (albeit in Omaha, NE) in the late 80’s and all through the 90’s, this was part of the mystique of CU Buffs football! The team, the school, the fans had an air to them that they were coming to town and were going to be smarter, tougher, and stomp on whatever the other school had to offer, then leave. Then when it came to going into Boulder, they unwillingly welcomed the team and fans in, then stomped the hell out that team and waived middle fingers until the bus’s taillights faded into the horizon of the flat lands.

I always felt that college football in the plains states was for grandpas back when I was younger. Maybe it was hanging out at my grandparents and hearing games on KFAB AM radio, and hearing about teams from Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma? I didn’t realize that CU was in the same conference until I was nearly in middle school.

Invited to the B1G

Big 12

We've had two bowl bids since GB was fired. I'm more concerned about competing for those than championships right now lol.

Invited to the B1G

Big 12

I think the key question is how much you like football purely as a game regardless of the level it’s played at. Answer that one for yourself and I think you have your answer to the question above.

I think the key question is how much you like football purely as a game regardless of the level it’s played at. Answer that one for yourself and I think you have your answer to the question above.
It’s a mixture of both for me. Love watching the Buffs play, but I don’t think it would be nearly the same if they were in the MWC for example. I think the reworked Big12 would probably present a happy medium.

Yes!! Growing up (albeit in Omaha, NE) in the late 80’s and all through the 90’s, this was part of the mystique of CU Buffs football! The team, the school, the fans had an air to them that they were coming to town and were going to be smarter, tougher, and stomp on whatever the other school had to offer, then leave. Then when it came to going into Boulder, they unwillingly welcomed the team and fans in, then stomped the hell out that team and waived middle fingers until the bus’s taillights faded into the horizon of the flat lands.

I always felt that college football in the plains states was for grandpas back when I was younger. Maybe it was hanging out at my grandparents and hearing games on KFAB AM radio, and hearing about teams from Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma? I didn’t realize that CU was in the same conference until I was nearly in middle school.
I grew up in Texas and Oklahoma, but my perspective was exactly the same as yours.

Colorado football had this level of mystique to us Texas and Oklahoma kids that I think didn’t exist for California kids the same way. It is difficult to quantify, but I think largely impacted us in a negative way after the move. I think replacing the Texans with Californians in the student body after the move also hurt our own engagement as well, so going to a Texas based conference will bring enrollment that cares again.

I think a move to playing those types of schools again could actually be a shot in the arm. I think our homogeneity with the P12 fostered a conference based identity and let us get complacent instead of our old identity of us vs the conference. I hope going back would remind us what it’s like to be in football country again

Last edited:
I wonder if the B1 leveraged both schools to start up a hockey program?
Terrible thought..we could wind up being 0 - 16/17 vs SC

It’s a mixture of both for me. Love watching the Buffs play, but I don’t think it would be nearly the same if they were in the MWC for example. I think the reworked Big12 would probably present a happy medium.

Whatever works for you, man. I think that's a question everyone has to answer for him or herself. There's an option for everyone but there's a tradeoff.

stanford's investment in athletics are not driven by the same factors as any other power conference team. have you guys been to the stanford campus. every men's and women's sport has dedicated facilities. it is freaking gorgeous. empty and soulless and devoid of winners usually, but still impressive.

revenue generation is not a factor in the investments they made in their sports programs.

cal on the other hand is a public school and likes to trip over itself, much like CU.

i think i might dress up in one of those handmaiden's tale costumes for the first cal at baylor game.

Stanford women’s golf team is one of the best college golf teams ever assembled, and yes, their facilities are sick. If anyone is into college golf, there is a great “week in the life” of that team.

Stanford's baseball and women's basketball teams are also regular national championship contenders

Invited to the B1G

Big 12

Good comparison here but I'm 100% holding out hope for the B1G because that would would put CU in a football-emphasized conference and would hopefully get the admini to step it up as you noted in your subsequent post. And yes the Big 12 also heavily emphasizes football but the B1G is at the top tier.

Last edited:
Ex Fox exec believes Oregon and UW only bring about $60m combined to the B1G, which is well shy of the $143m combined needed to maintain equal share (estimated each school gets $71.5m/year).

That hurts. I thought for sure they would bring in more. I wonder what his estimates for ucla/usc would have been. After skimming it seems like he only takes the paid tv subscribers in the area into account. Not sure that the tv market in Eugene tells the whole story of Oregon's value.

You will get a good preview of a culture clash with Auburn playing at Cal next year

Well, as usual, if a longtime lurker like me is posting, it ain't because good things are happening.

I too hold out hope for the BIG (Nebraska rivalry is a key factor for me...having no REAL rivals in the Pac-12 mattered more than most of us probably thought. The recent out-of-conference NU games have shown that even the fumes of that rivalry, at least on the CU side of things, was a bigger deal even after years of not playing that anything in the Pac). Even as a doormat in the BIG we'd have that to look forward to.

But when I was at CU we were in the BIg-8. Believe me, we saw that as more than competitive enough for our situation. The key difference between now and then though might be that someone from our conference back then could still somehow compete with anyone else in the sport (If you ended the season top-5 in the polls, that's what mattered in a national championship sense. If you beat everyone in the Big-8 you were probably going to be in that position).

So to me the question is can you still see a way to a great outcome if you are in a bad (bad is subjective) conference if you have a great year (or put together a few special seasons)? Even recently teams in less prestigious conferences have at least been in the national conversation when they've had very good seasons.

Now in this new world in which we are heading is something like that going to be possible? I don't know. But if it IS (even if we are looking at long shot situations here) how different is this from how things were in the BIG 8? And I only probably need remind the younguns on this site that the Big 8 era was the best in CU history (again, probably a subjective statement...but I think defensible).

Let's also remember that the Pac itself is/was falling behind. We were going to find ourselves in a less important conference just staying in the Pac-12. So even if the LA schools stay the big boys in the sport were pulling away from us. But, just like in the Big 8, if you managed to catch lighting in a bottle one season, there was a road open for you to do special things.

I guess my point is that if you remember CU as the liberal Western Edge of a conservative south-midwestern college football conference then ending up playing all those "flyover state" schools just seems like returning to tradition...not ditching it.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Last edited:
Been said in one way or another, but jumping back to the Big 12 with Zona/ASU/Utah is a good match for both sides. Expands the conference in a way that is not totally crazy and both sides enter the arrangement knowing everyone truly needs everyone else. The Big 8 tradition is a nice little bonus.

Back