What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Please stop parroting everything you read and engage your brain.

How can the P12 impose a deadline on CU when the P12 has no power to impose one? At this time the P12 has not brought forth a media deal for CU or any other P12 school to accept or reject. Without a media deal on the table, how do you propose that the P12 has any ability to impose any deadlines?

We have already been through this with the Big 12 back in 2010 and the P12 imposing a deadline right now is EXACTLY what the B12 did back then.

You got to draw the line in the sand once in awhile even if it defies logic.

We have already been through this with the Big 12 back in 2010 and the P12 imposing a deadline right now is EXACTLY what the B12 did back then.

JFC.

CU had to buy out of an existing GOR and media deal with the B12 back in 2010. Currently there is no P12 media deal or GOR in place beyond 6/30/24.

What defies logic is that I'm having this discussion with you.

Big Jim is right on this one. Without a media deal, you cannot sign a grant of rights (well, you could if you wanted to sign a blank check, good luck with that).

The Big 12 is in a much better position to push a deadline with an existing media deal and an expansion plan. However, that league badly wants some of the PAC programs so installing some artificial deadline isn’t the best idea either unless you know Kliavkoff’s cards to be very poor.

it is possible that the deals are, considering all aspects, closer to each other than people may think.

maybe it will come down to cultural fit and recruiting base and i can see some of our folks thinking the b12 is better.

what our Buffs need to do is beat the teams on the schedule whomever they may be, with greater frequency than in the last few years. the rest will, i hope, work itself out over time.

JFC.

CU had to buy out of an existing GOR and media deal with the B12 back in 2010. Currently there is no P12 media deal or GOR in place beyond 6/30/24.

You are correct about the current P12 GOR in place until 06/30/24 however a deadline had to be imposed in order to show the media companies who are serious about staying in the conference before the media rights offer had to come in. The tweet I posted earlier was from a media guy who knows this stuff.

@Creebuzz: the last sentence is probably true because GK has appeared to have done a very poor job.

And if you two thought realignment stuff had some logic & sanity, I have a bridge in the SF Bay Area to sell you.

You are correct about the current P12 GOR in place until 06/30/24 however a deadline had to be imposed in order to show the media companies who are serious about staying in the conference before the media rights offer had to come in. The tweet I posted earlier was from a media guy who knows this stuff.

What is the punishment for not meeting the deadline? What has to be done by CU to make the deadline?

What is the punishment for not meeting the deadline? What has to be done by CU to make the deadline?
public shaming!

Embarrassed Shame GIF

@Creebuzz: the last sentence is probably true because GK has appeared to have done a very poor job.

And if you two thought realignment stuff had some logic & sanity, I have a bridge in the SF Bay Area to sell you.
That's not how this works. The media companies are making offers to the conference for their media rights. They are not waiting on the teams to decide to stay or go, the teams are waiting on the media company offers so they can decide to stay or go.

Don't think there is any teeth to any punishment but the P12 could decide to move on without CU and as a result, CU goes to the Big 12 without a full Big 12 payment in year one.

Don't think there is any teeth to any punishment but the P12 could decide to move on without CU and as a result, CU goes to the Big 12 without a full Big 12 payment in year one.

In no scenario imaginable is the Pac 10 "moving on without CU", unless CU makes the decision to go to the Big 12 and the Pac 9 has no other choice but to move on without them.

Yes, the schools want a media deal presented to them before the end of the month.

None of this suggests the Pac 10 is setting some kind of deadline for CU to make a decision.

Who is going to impose such a deadline? The Pac-12 constitution and bylaws, as I read them, puts that authority in a committee of the CEOs of the Universities. The conference commissioner has no authority whatsoever to impose any deadline. And what are they going to do if CU says to pound sand to such a deadline? All of the schools are free to leave the conference as of August 1, 2024 without penalty. The conference constitution and bylaws is essentially a contract between the member institutions. They are not going to change any part of it absent the consent of all involved.

The only thing the conference commissioner could do is to present the conference members with a media deal that has a drop dead date imposed by the media companies involved. In other words, Apple or whoever could say this offer is open until July 1. If the offer is good that would not be an issue. If it isn't, well, it doesn't matter.

Show media companies Pac is serious about staying together?

If the media companies cared about the Pac staying together there would already be an offer on the table that would make that happen. The media companies know they can shuffle some teams into other conferences, and end up paying much less by not paying the remaining left out Pac teams.

I don’t think $31M is as big of a number as people are making it out to be.

Especially when we don't have to fly to Cinncinnati, Orlando, and Pittsburgh (for WVU) for Big 12 games.

Even if it is $32M per team to start which is something that would be about $42M at the end of a six year contract (or about $44M at the end of seven years), that should be enough especially if the P12 is going to add DFW (SMU) to its tv set count. DFW will surpass Chicago as the nations third largest metro area in the next decade.

Especially when we don't have to fly to Cinncinnati, Orlando, and Pittsburgh (for WVU) for Big 12 games.

Even if it is $32M per team to start which is something that would be about $42M at the end of a six year contract (or about $44M at the end of seven years), that should be enough especially if the P12 is going to add DFW (SMU) to its tv set count. DFW will surpass Chicago as the nations third largest metro area in the next decade.
SMU is a ****ing rounding error. Are you kidding?

JFC.

The Big 12 had an exit fee, not a GOR but your broader point stands- the P12 has fewer constraints on CU now than the Big 12 had a decade ago.

Was watching recaps of MLS games on Apple TV and this thought came to my mind: did the P12 screw up by not getting a deal with Apple sooner? Especially with Lionel Messi on his way to Inter Miami which means Apple is going to be reeling in the $$$ very soon. That contract is $250M per year for a total of $2.5B for ten years. To be fair, it was a surprise that Messi turned down a massive contract with a Saudi Arabia based soccer team to come to the USA but at the same time, the possibility of Messi coming to the MLS was floated for like the last six months.

Probably still an apple versus oranges thing but it does appear that the P12 screwed up at the wrong time.

Was watching recaps of MLS games on Apple TV and this thought came to my mind: did the P12 screw up by not getting a deal with Apple sooner? Especially with Lionel Messi on his way to Inter Miami which means Apple is going to be reeling in the $$$ very soon. That contract is $250M per year for a total of $2.5B for ten years. To be fair, it was a surprise that Messi turned down a massive contract with a Saudi Arabia based soccer team to come to the USA but at the same time, the possibility of Messi coming to the MLS was floated for like the last six months.

Probably still an apple versus oranges thing but it does appear that the P12 screwed up at the wrong time.
where it went wrong, imho, is that the tv deal they negotiated wasn't favorable for streaming rights. and, they added the expense of a full on home grown live sports network. and, they tripled or more their expenses by moving to sf. all.at.once.

they oversold their digital rights to the public, poorly negotiated their digital rights, failed to execute on their opportunities with the pac12 network, and still ****ed themselves over on cable payments. oh, and they invested in growing eyeballs for the olympic sports in asia.

huge incompetence....

the board of the pac12 is all hugely negligent. the lieutenants who reported to scott are either incompetent or were checked out and just drawing a paycheck.

net/net: if the p12 had the digital rights they squawked about at the time, then a deal with apple could have been done.

i am getting pissed as i type this. need more bourbon.

Colorado is still on the center stage.
From more than one source the cancelation of the BOR was more of a quick break than a sign things fell apart.
ASU and Utah are getting nervous.
It's known that if CU would be the first to pop, then most likely Arizona would soon after. Would this cause the other two 4 corners to follow?

Colorado is still on the center stage.
From more than one source the cancelation of the BOR was more of a quick break than a sign things fell apart.
ASU and Utah are getting nervous.
It's known that if CU would be the first to pop, then most likely Arizona would soon after. Would this cause the other two 4 corners to follow?
You’re getting this from Fluguar. He’s desperate for Oregon and Washington. He might be right but only through sheer dumb luck.

The B12 problem is they have no leverage. Who would they add instead, Memphis? UConn? They’ve got nothing. They’ll wait as long as we want.

If, hypothetically, CU and UA jumped to the Big 12... I think the value would be higher if it went to 16 through 2 of UConn/ SDSU/ Memphis than by doubling up in AZ and UT with ASU and Utah.

You’re getting this from Fluguar. He’s desperate for Oregon and Washington. He might be right but only through sheer dumb luck.

The B12 problem is they have no leverage. Who would they add instead, Memphis? UConn? They’ve got nothing. They’ll wait as long as we want.
Flugar and another source says Colorado is still likely to make the move. They have PAC sources.

Last edited:
Back