What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I mean, it stands to reason that a 10- team league with genuine name programs would generate more on a per team basis than a 14-team league with a bunch of jabronis.
Especially when you consider that the Big 12 believes that adding Pac-12 members to its conference would increase revenue for existing members. That at least 8/10 Pac members would increase B12 value. This is only true if the Pac properties are more valuable than the B12 properties. The one thing that might be turning the numbers on their head is the stability/risk factor for the media companies - it's hard to make a huge financial commitment when nearly everyone you'd be partnering with is hoping to leave the deal for a different one ASAP.

Reactions: KCM

Sounds like the Pac may survive after all. It seemed to me they were dead, but the AZ President gave an interesting interview. Personally, after thinking about it, I would prefer staying in the Pac12-2 and hope the B1G comes along soon. The Buc-ee's conference doesn't seem a good fit for CU.

He artfully and candidly spoke out of both sides of his mouth. He did it in a folksy credible way. Nice to see p12 with a messenger. He also spoke to Dodd.

It’s really pretty simple: 1) profess solidarity; 2) get number; 3) make decision.

Lol.

for real, though. I don't understand why the B1G didn't just slip it into the contract renewal paperwork that "All NY Households are now considered 'in footprint' and as a result you owe us millions of more dollars," instead of adding Rutgers.

are we sure these 'sources' of yours are legit?

Besides those two and dozens of other sources, I can't find a single source that lists that B1G is getting "in footprint" rates for NY households.

What are the "dozens" of sources you're talking about? Honestly, the second article is the only article I've ever read saying the BTN is getting in market rates for NY. And that article is written by people who aren't even claiming to have internal knowledge of the Big Ten. The first article is about USC and UCLA (who actually have fans), not Rutgers.

Frankly, cable companies would just drop the BTN in New York before they paid the same rate for NYC that they pay for Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Everything about that 99 year GOR seems pretty flimsy, tbh. Or at least, not prohibitive enough to not jump to the B1G no matter what if invited

The exit fee is 99 years. (Which is actually less strict than the exit fees of other conferences that literally last for eternity.) The GOR is only through about 2030.

There is no 99 year GOR.

There are two obstacles to leaving the Big 12 conference: an exit fee and the GOR.

First, the exit fee. The Big 12 bylaws requires their membership to join the conference for a 99-year period. If a team leaves during before this period is over, they have to pay an exit fee. Texas and Oklahoma signed this agreement and were bound for that time frame, they were on the hook for their exit fees and were ultimately able to negotiate a reduction and release. On paper, the penalty for leaving before the 99-year period is over is the equivalent of two years of distributions from the conference. A steep fee, but the ACC's is steeper. And not so burdensome that moving is impossible if the B1G or SEC come calling.

Second, the GOR. The GOR is separate from the 99-year membership agreement, it has nothing to do with it, no one in the Big 12 has committed to a 99-year GOR. The grant of rights is harder item to negotiate on because it grants the ownership of a teams media rights to the conference which then sells them to media partners. The GOR does not prevent a program from moving from one conference to another so much as it makes the act of moving completely uneconomical. Texas and OU could've moved to the SEC years ago, but all their home games and media rights would be pocketed by the Big 12 conference. If you are moving jobs, but your paycheck is going to your last employer, why move? The Big 12's GOR runs for the term of the Big 12's media deal. 10 years, 6 years, 5 years, however long that media deal runs, the GOR is in place. The ACC is currently stuck in a very long GOR which so far has proved nearly impenetrable. Texas and OU were only able to negotiate a one-year reprieve on the GOR through an involved process of interested parties looking to get the deal done. Absent approval from Texas, OU, the Big 12, ESPN, Fox, the SEC, and CBS, that move doesn't happen.

tl;dr: anything is possible.

Blah Blah Blah Sock Puppet GIF by Your Happy Workplace

Big 12 athletic directors believe their "all-in" number -- including revenue from the College Football Playoff, bowl games and the NCAA Tournament -- will be around $50 million annually in the new deal.

"I still think our number is going to be more than 50," said Robbins.

That might the first time that claim has been made in the Pac-12.

"I know what the Big 12's number is," Robbins added. "I just need to hear what the Pac-12's number is. Then I can make a decision."

Candid interview. Lots of nuggets.

"A number don't mean anything until it's a written contract," Robbins told CBS Sports. "In Mississippi, they would say, 'They're about to fixin' to give me something.' They haven't quite done it yet. We have to get a real in-writing offer."

I feel like he was actually making a quiet bid to join the B12 with this paragraph

We actually might need to boot Arizona out after this

There is no 99 year GOR.

There are two obstacles to leaving the Big 12 conference: an exit fee and the GOR.

First, the exit fee. The Big 12 bylaws requires their membership to join the conference for a 99-year period. If a team leaves during before this period is over, they have to pay an exit fee. Texas and Oklahoma signed this agreement and were bound for that time frame, they were on the hook for their exit fees and were ultimately able to negotiate a reduction and release. On paper, the penalty for leaving before the 99-year period is over is the equivalent of two years of distributions from the conference. A steep fee, but the ACC's is steeper. And not so burdensome that moving is impossible if the B1G or SEC come calling.

Second, the GOR. The GOR is separate from the 99-year membership agreement, it has nothing to do with it, no one in the Big 12 has committed to a 99-year GOR. The grant of rights is harder item to negotiate on because it grants the ownership of a teams media rights to the conference which then sells them to media partners. The GOR does not prevent a program from moving from one conference to another so much as it makes the act of moving completely uneconomical. Texas and OU could've moved to the SEC years ago, but all their home games and media rights would be pocketed by the Big 12 conference. If you are moving jobs, but your paycheck is going to your last employer, why move? The Big 12's GOR runs for the term of the Big 12's media deal. 10 years, 6 years, 5 years, however long that media deal runs, the GOR is in place. The ACC is currently stuck in a very long GOR which so far has proved nearly impenetrable. Texas and OU were only able to negotiate a one-year reprieve on the GOR through an involved process of interested parties looking to get the deal done. Absent approval from Texas, OU, the Big 12, ESPN, Fox, the SEC, and CBS, that move doesn't happen.
I think that was already discussed in this thread. Enjoy.

No. That’s the ACC media GOR. This 99 year be GOR with the Big 12 is not a media GOR. It’s just a pact between the teams to stay together.

Yes. But if you’re talking about the B1G and $80m in revenue vs $31m, it’s not prohibitive.

This. The ACC GOR, at least so far, essentially prevents anyone from leaving the ACC. The so-called Big 12 GOR does not.

You're confusing things.

The ACC GOR language is literally a copy of the Big 12 GOR language. GORs run with the term of the media agreement . They are equally unbreakable. The only difference is the Big 12's deal is ending soon so the GOR is also ending, meanwhile the ACC's deal runs until 2036.

Texas and OU were able to get out of the GOR Early because it was for a period of one year and everyone involved in the contract agreed to it.

You're confusing things.

The ACC GOR language is literally a copy of the Big 12 GOR language. GORs run with the term of the media agreement . They are equally unbreakable. The only difference is the Big 12's deal is ending soon so the GOR is also ending, meanwhile the ACC's deal runs until 2036.

Texas and OU were able to get out of the GOR Early because it was for a period of one year and everyone involved in the contract agreed to it.
And you’re confusing things. This was all covered in @Uncle Ken ‘s link above which you clearly didn’t read.

You're confusing things.

99 Year GOR is stupid for CU to agree to.

News expected on Tuesday with P12 meeting.

Sounds like:

1. ESPN gets Tier 1 games
2. Apple & Amazon get Tier 2 (PACN)
3. Conference adds SDSU & SMU
4. Deal is around Big 12's (maybe less, maybe more)

Canzano says folks in Big 12 country will not be happy.

“I just don’t think that the chicken littles out there that are looking at the sky, saying ‘oh the Pac-12’s imploding, oh, the imminent demise!’, I think in the end they’re going to end up holding the bag.”

“I don’t see the ’12-anons’ – the Q-anon Big 12 people – I don’t see the ’12-anons’ walking away from this feeling very good.”

It’s fascinating to see the competing messages being put out by the two camps.
I have believed from the beginning that most of the info out of Big 12 country was "12-anon" propaganda. They "knew" stuff about Pac-12 negotiations, what media companies were telling the conference, and behind the scenes maneuvering by P12 members to get into other conferences... stuff that no one in Pac-12 country knew. It was clearly a disinformation campaign to harm the Pac-12. Big 12 members, particularly Baylor, have a long history of this. So I have been surprised that anyone believed what they were selling.

I have believed from the beginning that most of the info out of Big 12 country was "12-anon" propaganda. They "knew" stuff about Pac-12 negotiations, what media companies were telling the conference, and behind the scenes maneuvering by P12 members to get into other conferences... stuff that no one in Pac-12 country knew. It was clearly a disinformation campaign to harm the Pac-12. Big 12 members, particularly Baylor, have a long history of this. So I have been surprised that anyone believed what they were selling.
It’s confirmation bias for most folks. If you believe ThE PAC 12 is DeAD!!! Then anything that comes out of B12 sources is automatically believed. I don’t believe the PAC 12 is dead, so watching this all unfold has been quite the experience.

Sounds like:

“I just don’t think that the chicken littles out there that are looking at the sky, saying ‘oh the Pac-12’s imploding, oh, the imminent demise!’, I think in the end they’re going to end up holding the bag.”

“I don’t see the ’12-anons’ – the Q-anon Big 12 people – I don’t see the ’12-anons’ walking away from this feeling very good.”
A lot of people are going to look very stupid if this ends up coming to fruition

How dare you accuse **** bailer of such underhanded tactics! #LoveYourNeighborAsYourself

It’s confirmation bias for most folks. If you believe ThE PAC 12 is DeAD!!! Then anything that comes out of B12 sources is automatically believed. I don’t believe the PAC 12 is dead, so watching this all unfold has been quite the experience.
My approach has been that the PAC12 is so inept and so bad at operations that the BIG12 getting ahead of the PAC caused the cascade of failures.

However, the one thing that bothered me the most was that the idea that all the Western Market was useless to media companies, or donors, or fans was never quite right in my mind.

If the PAC12 can get its ship right, then maybe we are good to go for now, but when the 1 or 2 superconferences ultimately come together, then we should be in a better position than we have ever been.

I thought when SC and UCLA bailed, the P12 was dead. I didn't need some bailer operative's thoughts to inform that opinion.

It appears, though, that the conference is more resilient than I gave it credit for, and I am glad to be wrong. Going back to a hollowed out B12, a collection of Ag and commuter schools, was not all that exciting.

The P12, with or without SDSU and SMU, is a conference CU can and should dominate. I am fine with that outcome.

Sounds like:

Kind of rude for Canzano to call out ITB like that but at least they didn’t use his real name.

I know! I was assured in this very thread that Baylor's AD (or president, whatever) was a trustworthy individual. I'm SHOCKED by these allegations.
How dare you accuse **** bailer of such underhanded tactics! #LoveYourNeighborAsYourself
Hey man, Buddy Jones wrote a strongly worded email and that is a man that knows a perverted tart when he sees one.

Hey man, Buddy Jones wrote a strongly worded email and that is a man that knows a perverted tart when he sees one.
I guess. I think if we are being honest, we’d have to admit that they’re not that hard to recognize.

Back