What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 players threaten opt-out of 2020 CFB season unless health and safety and other demands are met

Who is better off, the baseball player who foregoes college and signs a professional contract or a D1 Football player? If the baseball player is decent and plays AAA ball, he'll make a staggering $14,000 a year while he cruises in luxury around in a bus dining on fast food and waffle house. Also, they don't get paid at all during the off season or for spring training. Is that the kind of progress we are hoping for these kids to make?
It depends on how highly they’re drafted. If they’re drafted in early rounds, they get serious signing bonuses. They’re not only making the $14K. Plus, if they’re a hot prospect who goes to the majors, they will be richly compensated.

If they fail, there are other sports they can try or get a real job.

Are we really talking MLB signing bonuses now?? Hahahaha 🤣🤣🤣 So the .009% of players who went straight from high school? All 11 of them out of 1200? Okay. Or are we talking about the dudes who got drafted and chose to give back any money and go play for free in college in hopes to be drafted higher later on?

Are we really talking MLB signing bonuses now?? Hahahaha 🤣🤣🤣 So the .009% of players who went straight from high school? All 11 of them out of 1200? Okay. Or are we talking about the dudes who got drafted and chose to give back any money and go play for free in college in hopes to be drafted higher later on?
Didn't Klatt get a decent signing bonus then play QB for a pretty good CFB team? Without giving the money back?

Didn't Klatt get a decent signing bonus then play QB for a pretty good CFB team? Without giving the money back?

I see you edited this from your original comment. He did receive a signing bonus and played 2 seasons in the minor leagues before walking on at CU with no scholarship in football. I don’t see how this relates to anything anyone is discussing though? You only get a bonus if you’re drafted and sign a contract for the minors.

I see you edited this from your original comment. He did receive a signing bonus and played 2 seasons in the minor leagues before walking on at CU with no scholarship. I don’t see how this relates to anything anyone is discussing though?
?? I didn't edit anything. I think it's relevant because he was something like an 11th round draft pick an apparently made more than $14K per season--a number posted here to indicate that the baseball minor leagues takes advantage of players to a similar extent that CFB does.

If your contract is up, you don’t have to give back any signing bonuses if you go on to become a college football player. Joel Klatt and Brandon Weeden, for instance, played CFB after baseball was up. They kept their money. Kyler Murray was different since he was still on contract with the A’s. They let him out of his contract because he wanted to pursue football full time. Even when he was at OU, he didn’t have to give the money back until he made a FT commitment to football.

I would say a player who has no interest in or aptitude for higher education would be better off playing professionally. In any case, wouldn't it be better if the individual player had the option?
Sure they should have the option. College isn’t for everyone, and if they want to skip it and go play minor league football they should have that option. They just need to make the choice with their eyes wide open because in most sports being a minor league player means working at Home Depot in the off season to pay your rent. I only mentioned baseball at all because you tried to suggest that minor league baseball is some kind of white privilege and I was just pointing out that its not exactly a great system for anyone except Major League Baseball. College football as it is currently structured is far from perfect with a lot of room for improvement. I am all for that. I just think players expectations are a bit unrealistic.

Sure they should have the option. College isn’t for everyone, and if they want to skip it and go play minor league football they should have that option. They just need to make the choice with their eyes wide open because in most sports being a minor league player means working at Home Depot in the off season to pay your rent. I only mentioned baseball at all because you tried to suggest that minor league baseball is some kind of white privilege and I was just pointing out that its not exactly a great system for anyone except Major League Baseball. College football as it is currently structured is far from perfect with a lot of room for improvement. I am all for that. I just think players expectations are a bit unrealistic.

To be clear, I only noted the correlation between "white" sports and established minor leagues. I didn't say that it was necessarily causative. I think it's an interesting question, though.

Not so much for football, but for basketball. Football is such an expensive sport considering squad size, equipment, etc. that not having a minor league makes perfect sense. I can't think of any good reason that the NBA took so long to establish a minor league, though, since basketball is much cheaper.

It depends on how highly they’re drafted. If they’re drafted in early rounds, they get serious signing bonuses. They’re not only making the $14K. Plus, if they’re a hot prospect who goes to the majors, they will be richly compensated.

If they fail, there are other sports they can try or get a real job.
Yes, if you are a very high draft pick that’s true but it falls off afterr the first few rounds pretty quick (as do their chances of ever making it out of the minor leagues). 18 y/o don’t really know what they want, and if you put a $200k check in their pocket they think they are set for life. Two years later when they are still just earning $14k from baseball, the 200k is gone, and they are living with their parents and working a $10 an hour job 6 months out of the year for spending money they might not feel the same way.

?? I didn't edit anything. I think it's relevant because he was something like an 11th round draft pick an apparently made more than $14K per season--a number posted here to indicate that the baseball minor leagues takes advantage of players to a similar extent that CFB does.

I swear it said something different the first time i read it. If that’s your point, absolutely. I thought you were pointing out that he got paid to go to college which wasn’t the case. All minor league systems take advantage of kids. If they paid everyone, their profits would drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, if you are a very high draft pick that’s true but it falls off afterr the first few rounds pretty quick (as do their chances of ever making it out of the minor leagues). 18 y/o don’t really know what they want, and if you put a $200k check in their pocket they think they are set for life. Two years later when they are still just earning $14k from baseball, the 200k is gone, and they are living with their parents and working a $10 an hour job 6 months out of the year for spending money they might not feel the same way.

yeah, MiLB is not glamorous, they travel by bus and get paid peanuts for a chance to maybe get a real contract one day. I think they get like $20-25 a day on the road for food. After years and years of dealing with that if they get high enough the club has the chance to use them and abuse them to extend their amount of years they’re under control for cheap. I’d argue they have it worse than any other sport.

To be clear, I only noted the correlation between "white" sports and established minor leagues. I didn't say that it was necessarily causative. I think it's an interesting question, though.

Not so much for football, but for basketball. Football is such an expensive sport considering squad size, equipment, etc. that not having a minor league makes perfect sense. I can't think of any good reason that the NBA took so long to establish a minor league, though, since basketball is much cheaper.
While I don’t think it was directly affiliated with the NBA, there was minor league basketball (Continental Basketball Association) from the 1940’s until about 10 years ago.

I’m shocked that Larry Scott cares more about his personal income than the people who enable him to be in that position. What a complete ****.

Why is Larry being dismissive? If the season gets cancelled for something outside his control, he gets a free pass for another year and can pull in another $4 million w/o doing any work.

Who is better off, the baseball player who foregoes college and signs a professional contract or a D1 Football player? If the baseball player is decent and plays AAA ball, he'll make a staggering $14,000 a year while he cruises in luxury around in a bus dining on fast food and waffle house. Also, they don't get paid at all during the off season or for spring training. Is that the kind of progress we are hoping for these kids to make?
A lot of drafted kids who forego college get college tuition as part of their contracts. I’m not sure If that’s for only the top picks or all of them.

How about this plan from the author of "Friday Night Lights":

The problem with this calculation is determining the exact amount, leading to endless disputes over revenue and profit and loss and the wholesale price of a hot dog. A simpler and quicker method would be to tie annual player compensation in the Football Bowl Subdivision schools to the salary of the head coach. As an example, let’s use Mr. Swinney’s $9.3 million a year at Clemson. Divide that by the number of players on scholarship, limited to 85 by the N.C.A.A., and you come up with an individual share of $109,412. Taking the average F.B.S. salary of $2.7 million, the player share would be $31,765. Since coaches’ salaries generally reflect the size of a program, the smaller it is the less a player makes. If a school thinks a player share is too much, lower the salary. There would be no exceptions for programs crying that they lose money. If that is true, drop football.

Only modification I’d make is to total the HC and AC pool then divide by 85.
And then deduct the costs associated with getting an education, including living expenses, right?

Actually, this sounds like a boon to HC's, since players will flock to the most money.

And then deduct the costs associated with getting an education, including living expenses, right?

Actually, this sounds like a boon to HC's, since players will flock to the most money.
Deductions? No.

Coach salaries will go down if they have to be matched as salaries for players.

Can we please get back to the real ****ing issue in this thread... @MiamiBuffs doesn’t have a clue what Phil Lindsay looks like!?! Thought he was Colin Kaepernik!
Are we just going to gloss that one over?

How about this plan from the author of "Friday Night Lights":
Creative but I don’t like it. HC salaries now become a function of your AD budget rather than what they’re worth. Schools would have to overpay a new HC to maintain a particular player budget. If Nick Saban retires, is Alabama going to pay the next guy $9M to maintain their player budget or do all the kids get a pay cut when a coaching change is made?

I just had to take a refresher course on concussions for coaching.

70% of athletes have lied about or failed to disclose concussions symptoms.

The course talks about how to deal with parents, other coaches, and fans who want a concussed player to continue playing or return to the field/court/ice because the concussion "isn't that bad" or the player "will be fine".

We know that players, parents, coaches, and fans can't be trusted to appreciate the immediate and long-term damage concussions can do, even though we've had data about this for years.

And we think we should listen to the arguments of the same people when it comes to covid?

Last edited:
Back