What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Paul Chryst - Former Wisconsin HC

I mean, we've long wanted to emulate Wisconsin and what they do..

their offense is sneaky boring, but man if we're going to do physical running game, it better be Wisconsin physical running game

I mean, we've long wanted to emulate Wisconsin and what they do..

their offense is sneaky boring, but man if we're going to do physical running game, it better be Wisconsin physical running game
What were his offenses like at Pitt? Wikipedia says his offenses as Oregon State (OC) ranked in top 10 in passing and set records at the time. I think his offenses at Wisconsin were at least in part due to it being Wisconsin, and Alvarez basically mandating that style be run.

Wisconsin composite recruiting rankings during Chryst’s time at UW: 41, 34, 38, 46, 30, 27, 16, 41, 56

A couple really good years, but mostly fairly mediocre. I bring this up as a selling point because he has routinely done more with less.

However, Wisconsin puts out top tier HS OL prospects like crazy and they all go to UW, not to mention that program can go just about anywhere and compete for 4/5* OL talent.

Absolutely.

Any CU fan who would disappointed by that hire needs their head examined.
Funny. There’s a guy over on 247 who says he’s a UGA fan, but has a hobby of writing ADs and Chancellors/Presidents with all his knowledge on coaching candidates, who says Chryst is a hard pass for CU. For the record, his #1 CU candidate is Sean Lewis from Kent State.

Wisconsin composite recruiting rankings during Chryst’s time at UW: 41, 34, 38, 46, 30, 27, 16, 41, 56

A couple really good years, but mostly fairly mediocre. I bring this up as a selling point because he has routinely done more with less.

However, Wisconsin puts out top tier HS OL prospects like crazy and they all go to UW, not to mention that program can go just about anywhere and compete for 4/5* OL talent.

Yeah, I'm jealous of how everyone in that state supports the Badgers. BUT, they're the only D1 football program in the state, plus they're way different in demographics than CO. Most people in WI are from WI, which of course has never been true in CO.

Yeah, I'm jealous of how everyone in that state supports the Badgers. BUT, they're the only D1 football program in the state, plus they're way different in demographics than CO. Most people in WI are from WI, which of course has never been true in CO.
I don't know, man. There's been a LOT of empty seats at Camp Randall this year, notably last week vs Illinois.

This is especially embarrassing given that UW renovated the stadium this past off season, decreasing seating capacity.

I don't know, man. There's been a LOT of empty seats at Camp Randall this year, notably last week vs Illinois.

This is especially embarrassing given that UW renovated the stadium this past off season, decreasing seating capacity.

I was at the WSU game and it was packed.

I think if he falls in to our lap, we have to give him strong consideration. My only concern would be that he stepped into an established system at UW and kept it going. He would have to build a program here. I don’t know how good he would be at building a program.

you may have been drunk at that game

current capacity = 80,321
announced attendance = 74,001 (note that UW, like most schools, reports attendance by tickets distributed, not by turnstile count)

I mean I was at a Wisconsin game, of course. But I have video evidence and if you did a search past an outdated Wikipedia post, you’d see they just did renovations to Camp Randall. They removed 6,000 seats and replaced them with like 2,300 seats.

I’ll even post a cool lil graphic to back me up. 6D911933-5238-4B76-B718-7C8B296BFEF3.jpeg

Let's be honest, the concept of "building a program" is a bit different today than it was even 5-10 years ago. Kansas is sitting at 5-0 in year two of a new coach. It's no longer a "lose big, lose small, win small, win big" proposition. Chryst has been around the game for a long time, he's been bowl eligible every year as a HC, would bring an identity an competency to this program that hasn't been seen since the early 2000s, and he has done it at programs that don't have all the built in advantages.

IMO, Chryst is a higher ceiling Bronco Mendenhall kind of hire

Funny. There’s a guy over on 247 who says he’s a UGA fan, but has a hobby of writing ADs and Chancellors/Presidents with all his knowledge on coaching candidates, who says Chryst is a hard pass for CU. For the record, his #1 CU candidate is Sean Lewis from Kent State.
???

UGA fan sees Kent State 2 weekends ago and is like "THAT GUY'S THE BEST CANDIDATE ON THE MARKET! LOOKIT WHAT HE DID TO MY DAWGS!"

Let's be honest, the concept of "building a program" is a bit different today than it was even 5-10 years ago. Kansas is sitting at 5-0 in year two of a new coach. It's no longer a "lose big, lose small, win small, win big" proposition. Chryst has been around the game for a long time, he's been bowl eligible every year as a HC, would bring an identity an competency to this program that hasn't been seen since the early 2000s, and he has done it at programs that don't have all the built in advantages.

IMO, Chryst is a higher ceiling Bronco Mendenhall kind of hire
Chrsyt is a definite yes. Bronco is still a no.

That's gotta help us keep some of the stud OL who keep leaving CO (See Gentry and Rosengarten).

???

UGA fan sees Kent State 2 weekends ago and is like "THAT GUY'S THE BEST CANDIDATE ON THE MARKET! LOOKIT WHAT HE DID TO MY DAWGS!"
He has brought up and provided a lot of insight on a ton of candidates and has some of the same opinions on certain guys as many of us do. His top two for CU are Lewis and Cigneti (sp?) as they are "builders" and he said CU needs to stay away from most retreads like Bronco. He said a pass on Herman as well.

It's actually some good insight, I just simply disagree that Chryst should be a "hard pass".

That's gotta help us keep some of the stud OL who keep leaving CO (See Gentry and Rosengarten).
I would think Chryst would help keep the in-state OL here, and I wonder if he would have any kind of success pulling OL prospects from Wisconsin, Iowa, or PA like he has at UW.

My only hesitation with him is his plan for building the trenches like he did at Wisconsin without the abundance of midwest kids who grew up dreaming of playing for Wisconsin.

My hesitation with Chryst would be whether a guy like him, coming off a 7+ year run at his alma mater needs a break to reset and get reenergized before getting back into coaching. Maybe being fired this early in the season is enough time, but that job is a grind.

Now what I love about Chryst is his teams have an identity and dude knows how to hire defensive coaches - the DC’s that have worked for him at Pitt and Wisc are a who’s who of DCs:

Dave Huxtable - Currently Analyst at Bama
Matt House - Currently DC at LSU
Dave Aranda - Baylor HC
Justin Wilcox - Cal HC
Jim Leonhard - Wiscy Interim

Back