What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Prairie View A&M Lookalike & Game thread - MBB (Boulder, Thursday, 12/19, 6:30 PM MT, )

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
The Buffs have their 2nd home game in a row against a Panther team. Hope it goes MUCH better tomorrow against Prairie View A&M that it did against Northern Iowa!

Panther roster for Lookalike suggestions - https://pvpanthers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
(For those like me who didn't know where this school is, it's in the town of Prairie View TX, which looks to be around 50 miles northwest of Downtown Houston.)

Since I can't find one yet from cubuffs.com, here's some info from a buffzone.com preview (https://www.buffzone.com/2019/12/18/prairie-view-am-to-test-cu-basketball-shortcomings/) -

"
If the Colorado Buffaloes play to their potential — certainly not a given following some ugly and costly missteps in recent weeks — CU likely will go into its neutral-court showdown against No. 13 Dayton on Saturday on the heels of a thorough and perhaps confidence-reinforcing victory.

CU hosts Prairie View A&M Thursday night in a pre-Dayton tune-up that should allow the Buffs an opportunity to get right ahead of a rare trip to Chicago. However, a few of the things the visiting Panthers do well, such as forcing turnovers, utilizing trap defenses, and shooting the ball well from 3-point range, are the exact areas in which the Buffs have struggled lately.

The Panthers might only be 3-7, but they nonetheless could provide a gauge as to just how well the Buffs have addressed their issues while focused solely on practice and finals during the week.

“Teams like this, you have such respect for them,” CU head coach Tad Boyle said. “They’ve played 10 games and one of them has been at home. They’re road warriors. They’re not afraid of anybody. And they play extremely hard. They’re going to play for 40 minutes. They play a lot of guys. It will be a good test as we prepare to head to Chicago.”

COACHES: Prairie View A&M — Byron Smith, 4th season (48-61 at Prairie View A&M and overall); Colorado — Tad Boyle, 10th season (197-125, 253-191 overall).

KEY PLAYERS: Prairie View A&M — G Gerard Andrus, Sr., 13.6 ppg, 5.3 rpg; G Darius Williams, Sr., 11.6 ppg, 2.5 rpg; G Chancellor Ellis, Sr., 11.3 ppg, .446 3-point percentage. Colorado — F Tyler Bey, Jr., 12.6 ppg, 10.4 rpg; G McKinley Wright, Jr., 11.3 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 3.7 apg; G/F D’Shawn Schwartz, Jr., 10.1 ppg, 3.3 rpg.

WHAT TO WATCH: Prairie View A&M forces 17.5 turnovers per game. The Buffs have averaged 18 turnovers over the past five games and committed a season-high 21 turnovers last week at Colorado State. If CU is going to curtail the turnover issue before facing the likes of Dayton and Oregon, the Panthers will provide a good test.

NOTES: The family of former Buffs player Sabatino Chen has established a memorial fund in honor of his 24-year old sister Alana Chen, who passed away last week. Donation information for the Alana Faith Chen Foundation can be found at Buffs4Life.org/winter2019…
"
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links -
Game Notes
- https://cubuffs.com/documents/2019/12/18/cunotes_pvam.pdf

Live video - Game is being shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain and National channels. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to those Pac 12 channels, assume the game can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/mens-basketball/event/2019/12/19/prairie-view-am-colorado .

Live Audio - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2387&type=Live or https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Basketball-s308227/?_branch_match_id=736004530641670952 , or on Radio. Normally, believe it will be on 850 AM and 94.1 FM.

Live stats - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/mbball/summary;team=away

Last edited:
There is now a cubuffs.com preview available at https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/12/18...s-buffs-host-prairie-view-am-on-thursday.aspx .

"
BOULDER — Tad Boyle's Colorado Buffaloes have spent the last three days working on fundamentals, trying to correct some of the issues that have hounded them thus far this season.

Thursday night, the 8-2 Buffs will have a chance to see if that work has paid dividends when Prairie View A&M (3-7) pays a 6:30 p.m. visit to the CU Events Center (Pac-12 Networks).

One of the issues the Buffs have spent plenty of time addressing is turnovers. Colorado is averaging 15.5 miscues per game, including a season-high 21 in last week's 56-48 win at Colorado State.

The Panthers, who have been forcing an average of 17.5 turnovers per game, should offer a good measuring stick in that regard.

"It's going to be a great test with Prairie View coming here tomorrow night," Boyle said after Wednesday's practice. "Number one, they play extremely hard, and they're very active defensively. They really try to get their hands on a lot of balls, they play passing lanes, they'll double the post, they'll double the ball handler, they'll throw a lot of different things at you defensively. It should be a great test for us."

MAGIC NUMBERS: After holding Colorado State to 29 percent shooting and collecting a 44-32 edge on the boards last Friday, CU is now 63-5 all-time under Boyle when holding a team under 40 percent shooting and having at least a plus-8 rebound advantage.

HOLIDAY BREAK: After Saturday's game in Chicago, most of CU's players will head home for a three-day holiday break before returning to Boulder to prepare for a Dec. 29 home game against Iona. After that, it's the Pac-12 opener against Oregon at the Events Center.

THE SERIES: This will be the second-ever meeting between the two teams. Colorado won the only previous matchup, a 72-47 decision in Boulder on Dec. 19, 2008. Colorado is 12-0 all-time against teams from the SWAC.

BROADCAST: The game will be televised by the Pac-12 Network with Drew Goodman and former Cal head coach Wyking Jones. The radio broadcast will be carried by 850 AM and 94.1 FM KOA, with Voice of the Buffs Mark Johnson and Scott Wilke.

UP NEXT: The Buffs travel to Chicago on Saturday for a 4:30 p.m. matchup with No. 13 Dayton at the United Center (CBS Sports Network).
"

Buffs -20. I think that's about 7 points too many
So hard to know. If PVAM shoots well and our Buffs mail this game in, we could win by under 10. If our Buffs are dialed in, they can name their score.

So hard to know. If PVAM shoots well and our Buffs mail this game in, we could win by under 10. If our Buffs are dialed in, they can name their score.
They've played pretty well against Tex, Az State and Cal, and they force a lot of turnovers - which could be the key thing tonight. Love to see DW get back in sync.

For me, the biggest thing tonight is how MW, and TB, show up. MW just has not been himself and knows people are noticing. TB seems to get in funks and play too cautiously. P12 is right around the corner.

I think we win by 4 to 7 points and I hope Tad remembers the school colors and wears them

They've played pretty well against Tex, Az State and Cal, and they force a lot of turnovers - which could be the key thing tonight. Love to see DW get back in sync.

Going to be something to watch for tonight. If the Buffs play poorly in this one and against Dayton, I'm cancelling my Sling subscription.

For me, the biggest thing tonight is how MW, and TB, show up. MW just has not been himself and knows people are noticing. TB seems to get in funks and play too cautiously. P12 is right around the corner.

I think we win by 4 to 7 points and I hope Tad remembers the school colors and wears them

TB is suiting up?
20100617__2Boylep1.jpg

wife had knee surgery last week. I've been staying home with her since, playing the supportive husband.

I literally haven't left our property in over a week.

I so want cut out and go to the game. She's fine, recovering well and perfectly capable of taking care of herself for a few hours. She's also definitely expecting another evening with me at home. And weirdly enough, I might incur a bit of grief from her, but our adult daughter would lay a huge guilt trip on me and I'm not down for that.

anyone going, drink a beer and shout "Go Buffs!" for me, if you feel like it.

This might be the most random (sad?) pre game thread I’ve seen in a long time. Damn. Winter non-con doldrums! 🤣

pv commits the 6th most fouls of all teams,lots steals and attempts
TB says team gets too 'amped up', needs to slow down

TB says this esp true with Tyler. He needs to slow down,esp now he's doubled all the time. Needs to slow down and see his options.
pv may be very physical. these guys should play all out. we may see what kind of temper EB has
this could be fun

have we won a tip this year
THB i wearing pink, blue and grey. okay I'm obbsseive - but wear the colors!
somebody needs to get hot

Schwartz has slumped, the dude started out gangbusters but is just not contributing of late......he needs to get his mojo back if this team is going to be successful imo.

Some observations:
-Daniels needs a year
-Bey still not right
-Dallas gave us some good minutes, hope he gets more in the 2nd half
-Schwartz is petrified to do anything within 10 feet of the basket
-PVAMU is content with hacking everyone and finishing the game with 40+ fouls.

He's made 5 of his last 27, gonna need that regression to the mean sooner than later.

Back