What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

Recruiting rankings are becoming less important

Scouting the portal requires more staff, not less. Colorado would have to significantly ramp up its non coach scouting and relationship development team simply to keep up with other schools. It would have to go even further to excel. If you’re going to take fewer prep players, you have a nonexistent margin of error (i.e. your prep player average would need to be in the high 80s, low 90s). Color me skeptical.
More staff = more $$ needed

Hey, at least we'll hear the PA announcer say our Punter's name louder and more clearly in 2022 since our AD has deemed "gameday experience" for fans more important than the product on the field.

I think that represents most posters no matter what CU does.
You keep repeating this and it is bullshyt. We are only reacting to what the people in the Colorado Athletic Department have done. They have to prove that they are committed to recruiting really good players with their actions. Since the Dorrell hire, there’s not a lot of evidence to demonstrate that recruiting really good players is the priority it ought to be for the Colorado Athletic Department. If you have some demonstrable proof to the contrary, feel free to post it.

More staff = more $$ needed

Hey, at least we'll hear the PA announcer say our Punter's name louder and more clearly in 2022 since our AD has deemed "gameday experience" for fans more important than the product on the field.
Is this the Fire Rick George thread again? He’s the person in charge of fundraising and resource allocation. I think you’ve grossly overestimated the costs of basic gameday experience items. But that’s neither here nor there. Bottom line is that the Athletic Director’s 1a job is fundraising. 1b is hiring a football head coach who can recruit the staff and players who can create a winning product so job 1a is easier. This has been a failure on Rick George’s part.

Is this the Fire Rick George thread again? He’s the person in charge of fundraising and resource allocation. I think you’ve grossly overestimated the costs of basic gameday experience items. But that’s neither here nor there. Bottom line is that the Athletic Director’s 1a job is fundraising. 1b is hiring a football head coach who can recruit the staff and players who can create a winning product so job 1a is easier. This has been a failure on Rick George’s part.
I agree it's RG's fault.

I'm being hyperbolic about the new sound system, but my general point is still valid for what I (and I assume most CU fans) care about with this program.

I agree it's RG's fault.

I'm being hyperbolic about the new sound system, but my general point is still valid for what I (and I assume most CU fans) care about with this program.
The only reason why fundraising is an issue is because Rick George lied to us about his priorities for the football team. People infrequently want to give money to folks who lie.

I suggested Lane's approach for CU.

But if that's where the majority go, I prefer to zig when others zag if I'm CU and am unlikely to win by following the herd. Consider how much talent is represented by the bottom 10 guys in all of the Top 30 recruiting classes. We'd probably be better served going after them, if available, rather that fighting those same programs for transfers.

When I saw this title - it just made me think of participation trophies. What a loser title. Of course they matter.

it was created by journalists to give fans something to talk about and something to write about. It is like the NFL draft. What matters is can the players you recruit play at an elite level or can yu develop the players you recruit. I am more interested in the amount of players that get drafted from a college program.

it was created by journalists to give fans something to talk about and something to write about. It is like the NFL draft. What matters is can the players you recruit play at an elite level or can yu develop the players you recruit. I am more interested in the amount of players that get drafted from a college program.
Weird that class ranks so closely correlate to winning.

So you're saying that you don't believe that water is good for you?

Or are you saying that you don't trust any data?

Data can be used as part of the decision making process. I trust raw data. I don't trust the class ranking data. For example you have aJuco kid that is ranked as a 2 star affects the class rank. But he plays like a 5 star recruit out of high school. Also you have a 3 star OL that is 250 pountds coming out of high school. In 4 years he plays like a 5 star OL and gets drafted by the New England patroits and now plays for New York Giants.

Last edited:
Data can be used as part of the decision making process. I trust raw data. I don't trust the class ranking data. For example you have aJuco kid that is ranked as a 2 star affects the class rank. But he plays like a 5 star recruit out of high school. Also you have a 3 star OL that is 250 pountds coming out of high school. In 4 years he plays like a 5 star OL and gets drafted by the New England patroits and now plays for New York Giants.
There are always individuals who are outliers. Spud Webb didn't disprove the data that says NBA players are significantly taller than average humans. The outliers are cooked into the class rank data since every program is going to have its hits and misses.

Your roster talent is what the class ranks says it is.

Who decides who is a 4 star or who is a 3 star? It is not an outlier. There are many many examples of underated players. You do have programs like USC that get beat by Utah. But you also have programs like Alabama with can't miss prospects winning national championships every year.

College football programs ranked by number of active NFL players
1-10:
Alabama53
Ohio State47
LSU46
Georgia35
Notre Dame34
Clemson33
Iowa33
Florida32
Michigan32
Oklahoma31

Colorado ranks in a tie for 44th to 54th with 11. Without doing the research I’d bet the average signing day recruit rankings over the past 6-10 years closely parallel these results + or - four to five slots. There are outliers that clearly relate to the quality of the coaching that have either been there or not. Texas A&M, Texas, Oregon as examples. The point is, with just competent coaching, programs that can recruit well, do well. And they put a lot of players into the NFL. Those that don’t or can’t, do not. Ratings irrefutably matter.

Last edited:
It is also about quality of coaches at thoee programs. Utah is not listed there but they are now Pac 12 champions. Program that recruits well and develops well. Boise State is another program that has done well.

College football programs ranked by number of active NFL players
1-10:
Alabama53
Ohio State47
LSU46
Georgia35
Notre Dame34
Clemson33
Iowa33
Florida32
Michigan32
Oklahoma31

Coiorado ranks in a tie for 44th to 54th with 11. Without doing the research I’d bet the average signing day recruit rankings over the past 6-10 years closely parallel these results + or - four to five slots. There are outliers that clearly relate to the quality of the coaching that have either been there or not. Texas A&M, Texas, Oregon as examples. The point is, with just competent coaching, programs that can recruit well, do well. And they put a lot of players into the NFL. Those that don’t or can’t, do not. Ratings irrefutably matter.
For those interested here’s the full list (circa Sept-2021)
Alabama53
Ohio State47
LSU46
Georgia35
Notre Dame34
Clemson33
Iowa33
Florida32
Michigan32
Oklahoma31
Penn State31
Texas26
Miami (Fla.)25
UCLA24
Washington24
Florida State23
Texas A&M23
USC23
Stanford22
South Carolina21
Wisconsin21
Auburn20
Mississippi State19
Oregon19
NC State18
Temple18
Utah18
Missouri17
Nebraska17
Tennessee17
Pittsburgh16
Virginia Tech16
Arkansas15
Boston College15
Oklahoma State15
Kentucky14
TCU14
Baylor13
North Carolina13
Ole Miss12
Rutgers12
Texas Tech12
California11
Colorado11
Duke11
Houston11
Illinois11
Maryland11
Memphis11
Oregon State11
Purdue11
Vanderbilt11
West Virginia11
Boise State10
Louisville10
Michigan State10
Minnesota10
UCF10
Virginia10
Kansas State9
SMU9
Western Michigan9
Arizona State8
BYU8
Cincinnati8
Indiana8
Northwestern8
Utah State8
Arizona7
Central Michigan7
Florida Atlantic7
Fresno State7
Louisiana Tech7
Syracuse7
Toledo7
Wyoming7
Appalachian State6
Colorado State6
Georgia Southern6
Georgia Tech6
Old Dominion6
San Jose State6
Tulane6
Connecticut5
Marshall5
San Diego State5
South Florida5
Southern Mississippi5
Wake Forest5
Washington State5
Western Kentucky5
Buffalo4
Kansas4
Northern Illinois4
Rice4
East Carolina3
Eastern Michigan3
Iowa State3
Massachusetts3
Miami (Ohio)3
Middle Tennessee State3
Nevada3
North Texas3
UTEP3
Arkansas State2
Army2
Ball State2
Florida International2
Georgia State2
Louisiana2
Ohio2
Troy2
Tulsa2
UAB2
Akron1
Bowling Green1
Coastal Carolina1
Hawaii1
Kent State1
Navy1
New Mexico1
South Alabama1
Texas State1
UNLV1
UTSA1

It is also about quality of coaches at thoee programs. Utah is not listed there but they are now Pac 12 champions. Program that recruits well and develops well. Boise State is another program that has done well.
Based on class ranks, Boise State also gets the best recruits in its conference (competition from SDSU and sometimes FSU). Weird.

Based on class ranks, Boise State also gets the best recruits in its conference (competition from SDSU and sometimes FSU). Weird.

Maybe the reason why I don't trust class rankings is I don't fully know who decides the rankings. Who decides the rankings?

Ratings by signing day tend to correlate to the quality of a players offers, a kid being offered by Bama, tOSU, etc in addition to others is going to be rated at least a high 3* if not a 4*.

Those programs didn't get where they are by being stupid. There is enough at stake and enough video available that quality players aren't being missed.

The idea that you can build a program on guys who were "missed" by other schools is sheer fantasy.'

Are there individual exceptions to the rule? Certainly just like there are undrafted players in the NFL who become all-pros but you don't build a roster with them and you don't build a college roster not beating other schools for talent.

Maybe the reason why I don't trust class rankings is I don't fully know who decides the rankings. Who decides the rankings?
Mix of former coaches and scouts who attend the camps and are interacting with current coaches to know who everyone's recruiting & offering, which recruits are priority recruits, etc. What that leads to, for example, are guys getting a big ratings bump at the end if a bunch of programs start recruiting him. It's largely, therefore, a ranking of how in-demand someone is relative to peers at the end while it starts more as eyeball test + measurables + accolades.

Back