What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

Recruiting rankings are becoming less important

Vague, who are these professionals?

Na I don't trust the system.

What matters to me
1. Can you play football
2. Coaching

And no i haven't liked every CU recruiting class. I don't love the current class. OL recruiting has been bad.

What matters to me
1. Can you play football
2. Coaching

And no i haven't liked every CU recruiting class. I don't love the current class. OL recruiting has been bad.
You don’t have to trust the system. There are thousands whose jobs depend on the system (i.e. recruiting coordinators, scouts, etc.) who do.

That is why I say analytics has destroyed society.
Bowing Down Waynes World GIF

This is why CU can be be a winner relative to other P5 schools at this point in time. CU doesn't have talent that will be raided from above, Rice and Gonzalez are probably the only two players on the roster that qualify. Yet CU is better for bringing in guys like Barnes, Shrout and Lamb. Until CU reaches some sort of balance point CU should be able to "win" the portal maneuverings.
Agree with this. The elite P5 schools should widen the talent gap by filling holes with studs (see Too Too and Alabama) while simultaneously losing quality depth to lower teams like CU.

in my view this should level the playing field of the CU type have nots while also making it virtually impossible for a have not to ever crack the elite top 10.

then out of the elite whoever can sustain less injuries and peak at the right time should win the playoff.

That is why I say analytics has destroyed society. It is not only about recruiting rankings that decide if a program is successful. You have other factors like coaching, money and etc. USC should be winning national titles.​

Yes, visceral gut responses are always best. Preferably following superficial perusals of social media posts and the like.

It snowed in Hawaii last week, therefore the data that says most days in Hawaii are warm is suspect.

Spud Webb made the NBA all star game, therefore the data that says most NBA players are tall is suspect.

A zero-star recruit at a small directional school was drafted in the first round, therefore the data that says highly rated recruits are more likely to play in the NFL is suspect.

I get it, human brains are actually wired to believe anecdotal narratives over numerical analysis, but recognizing and overcoming this human limitation is a key component of advanced human intelligence.

What matters to me
1. Can you play football
2. Coaching

Do you believe some guys have the ability to play football at a higher level than others?

It snowed in Hawaii last week, therefore the data that says most days in Hawaii are warm is suspect.

Spud Webb made the NBA all star game, therefore the data that says most NBA players are tall is suspect.

A zero-star recruit at a small directional school was drafted in the first round, therefore the data that says highly rated recruits are more likely to play in the NFL is suspect.

I get it, human brains are actually wired to believe anecdotal narratives over numerical analysis, but recognizing and overcoming this human limitation is a key component of advanced human intelligence.
Anecdotally, this is proving to be true

This is an outlier to me. Since you brought up Spud, figured I'd put in he won the ****ing dunk contest one year. Nobody his size does that. Nique, Jordan, Carter, Dr. J, Dawkins were different animals.

Scouting the portal requires more staff, not less. Colorado would have to significantly ramp up its non coach scouting and relationship development team simply to keep up with other schools. It would have to go even further to excel. If you’re going to take fewer prep players, you have a nonexistent margin of error (i.e. your prep player average would need to be in the high 80s, low 90s). Color me skeptical.
Then hire people like Alex Kelley as a commission-only OL talent evaluator and recruiter, get him to learn how to keep **** confidential, and pay him based on the OL's monthly performance metrics. We need to get a ****ing move on. We need to do something.

Last edited:
Then hire people like Alex Kelley as a commission-only OL talent evaluator and recruiter, get him to learn how to keep **** confidential, and pay him based on the OL's monthly performance metrics. We need to get a ****ing move on. We need to do something.
we need to…

Step one: fire Rick George
Step two: fire Lance Carl
Step three: hire an AD knows what they’re doing and is not beholden to CU’s past
Step four: fire Karl Dorrell and his staff
Step five: hire a coach who knows what the hell they’re doing, esp. WRT recruiting and getting recruiters to work for Colorado

we need to…

Step three: hire an AD knows what they’re doing and is not beholden to CU’s past
Step five: hire a coach who knows what the hell they’re doing, esp. WRT recruiting and getting recruiters to work for Colorado
Step one Rick George ask you for donation to fund the rest of the items on your list.

we need to…
Step zero: Fire DiStephano
FIFY

No chance I want that moron hiring the next AD

1641334514114.png

Agree with this. The elite P5 schools should widen the talent gap by filling holes with studs (see Too Too and Alabama) while simultaneously losing quality depth to lower teams like CU.

in my view this should level the playing field of the CU type have nots while also making it virtually impossible for a have not to ever crack the elite top 10.

then out of the elite whoever can sustain less injuries and peak at the right time should win the playoff.
A different thought…the haves absolutely blow people up like they currently do only worse and sell their recruits who will be 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart that they will still have decent stats/more playing time at a higher level of play than playing for CU and winning games against Cal and Oregon State.
So now CU is settling for the players from Alabama, Notre Dame, Georgia, Michigan who are 4th or worse on the depth chart. And honestly those kids probably aren’t a huge improvement over what we have as starters most of the time and even then they are difficult to obtain because they tend to transfer closer to home or they are injury risks.
Note•••if Lamb and Barnes ball out this season I’m willing to rethink this.

Also, as of now I think all of our losses in the portal are more damaging than we think. Unless we use those scholarships for better DL and OL depth I think the losses of WR1, DB1, S2 and Clayton (RB3??) hurt a lot in exchange for a development QB.

The problem with the Kiffin approach is that he is going to have cultural issues that can't be foreseen. Team Culture is so important in football and the team that has the best culture will play better in tough situations. Mercenaries can never be counted on to stick with you when the going gets tough and in the SEC the going is always tough. Building a positive culture takes time and needs to start at the freshman level. (I actually think HCKD is doing a pretty good job of this)

You can envision a future where P5 schools circle like vultures above the G5, FCS, and even D2 schools looking for to pick off those players instead of recruiting high school players. I look for those schools to fall flat on their faces
I disagree. I think the transfer players have are more likely to have a better attitude being a few years more mature. If they aren't, the likelihood the coaches know about his attitude problem is greater, they won't be caught off guard
There are always individuals who are outliers. Spud Webb didn't disprove the data that says NBA players are significantly taller than average humans. The outliers are cooked into the class rank data since every program is going to have its hits and misses.

Your roster talent is what the class ranks says it is.
Recruiting rankings are also highly correlated to funding, see below

Human brains are wired for tunnel vision. Not anecdotal vs numerical. You look at the recruiting rankings and see Georgia, bama, Clemson, and tOSU in the playoff every year and say well duh! You overlook teams like Texas, Tennessee and Miami who've been trash in recent years. He looks at the recruiting rankings and sees Iowa, Utah and Wisconsin going to the conference c c every other year and thinks to himself if they can do it, why not us?
For those interested here’s the full list (circa Sept-2021)
Alabama53
Ohio State47
LSU46
Georgia35
Notre Dame34
Clemson33
Iowa33
Florida32
Michigan32
Oklahoma31
Penn State31
Texas26
Miami (Fla.)25
UCLA24
Washington24
Florida State23
Texas A&M23
USC23
Stanford22
South Carolina21
Wisconsin21
Auburn20
Mississippi State19
Oregon19
NC State18
Temple18
Utah18
Missouri17
Nebraska17
Tennessee17
Pittsburgh16
Virginia Tech16
Arkansas15
Boston College15
Oklahoma State15
Kentucky14
TCU14
Baylor13
North Carolina13
Ole Miss12
Rutgers12
Texas Tech12
California11
Colorado11
Duke11
Houston11
Illinois11
Maryland11
Memphis11
Oregon State11
Purdue11
Vanderbilt11
West Virginia11
Boise State10
Louisville10
Michigan State10
Minnesota10
UCF10
Virginia10
Kansas State9
SMU9
Western Michigan9
Arizona State8
BYU8
Cincinnati8
Indiana8
Northwestern8
Utah State8
Arizona7
Central Michigan7
Florida Atlantic7
Fresno State7
Louisiana Tech7
Syracuse7
Toledo7
Wyoming7
Appalachian State6
Colorado State6
Georgia Southern6
Georgia Tech6
Old Dominion6
San Jose State6
Tulane6
Connecticut5
Marshall5
San Diego State5
South Florida5
Southern Mississippi5
Wake Forest5
Washington State5
Western Kentucky5
Buffalo4
Kansas4
Northern Illinois4
Rice4
East Carolina3
Eastern Michigan3
Iowa State3
Massachusetts3
Miami (Ohio)3
Middle Tennessee State3
Nevada3
North Texas3
UTEP3
Arkansas State2
Army2
Ball State2
Florida International2
Georgia State2
Louisiana2
Ohio2
Troy2
Tulsa2
UAB2
Akron1
Bowling Green1
Coastal Carolina1
Hawaii1
Kent State1
Navy1
New Mexico1
South Alabama1
Texas State1
UNLV1
UTSA1

The answer to our problems is found reconciling these data sets. We spend the 36th most on recruiting (honestly I'm surprised it isn't worse) but money spent on football recruiting as a percentage of our entire ad recruiting budget is 7th at 55%. We're prioritizing football like every school should (minus basketball schools). It's the harsh truth, want new endorsements volleyball team, how about a new lab chemist's? Then put money into football, Harvard of the west is a pipe dream and we already have a football natty, jocks-1 nerds-0. Our spot is massively inflated on that chart given we don't have sports those other schools do but that's part of the point. We spend more on recruiting for football than every other cu program combined, and football has the least to show for it. We dedicate money to football, as a percent of our entire ad budget, to such an extent it's better than all but 7 schools..? Our basketball team can be competitive, why not football?

600k a year isn't enough, that's half of Oregon's American airlines tab. I've seen articles that said cu has upped it past 700k since. Good start but Idk what the hell makes some of these teams so marginally average on paper yet successful on the field. If I had to guess, I'd say geolocation is part of it, as is eliminating wasteful spending. Idk Wtf software licensing and subscriptions entails but I wouldn't be happy hearing about cu paying 98k a year to hand out rivals subscriptions to recruits or giving every coach on staff every streaming service in existence just so they can be comfy in hotel rooms inbetween flights.

So George, why the **** are you complaining about players transferring due to nil? Sounds like buffs with a brand is worthless, huh? After that 100 million dollar investment, looks like the only ones getting screwed are the fans. Here's an idea, get 5 of your Texas rangers buddies to donate 15k each. Then find the sorriest most fresh faced job hungry football loving sob you can. Make him the recruiting director, give him a room in that nice new champions center to live in and tell him he's not allowed to leave for one whole year or until we have the best class in the nation. Makes more sense than a new sound system. **** you'd get more fans to come back by fixing the ****ing John's on the west side. Ffs every time we lose all the old man talks about is how long it took him to get to the horse trough we call pissers, I'm sure you can relate!? Start winning plz, kthanksbye

Back