What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rick George: 9/10/22

Do you support Rick George?

• I support Rick George

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • I do not support Rick George

Votes: 111 91.7%

• Total voters
That sucks. No way both him and KD get fired. Guess we’re stuck with him making the next hire.
That is pretty much what I fear. Hiring Tucker was bold and a good move. Going after Sark was a good move, but following those moves with hiring a total dud, and guaranteeing the entire contract, betrays an ability to catastrophically cripple the organization with one, inexplicable, disastrous decision. It destroys any confidence I have that he should be in the same zip code as the next HC search. Which, this being CU, means he will be making that hire.

I answered this in another thread. Midnight doing what he did completely broke RG mentally. Everything he's done after that point has been completely nonsensical. Hiring his friend from 40 years ago who no one knew, who had a miserable track record and a worse personality, AND giving him an unreal 5 year multimillion dollar 100% guaranteed contract was the biggest white flag, mail it in, give up, I don't wanna deal with this signal there ever was. RG just flat out doesn't want to deal with the unfavorable landscape he faces (largely of his own engineering) in hiring a real coach and keeping one.

In short, he has completely checked out mentally and emotionally. Kind of like his pathetic HC hire has.
Anyone else get the feeling he went "up the chain" with "this is what we need to do to get and keep a competitive coach" when he was trying to land Sark and was told in no uncertain terms "we won't do that, quit asking."

And so... He went out and got them exactly what they said they wanted.

Anyone else get the feeling he went "up the chain" with "this is what we need to do to get and keep a competitive coach" when he was trying to land Sark and was told in no uncertain terms "we won't do that, quit asking."

And so... He went out and got them exactly what they said they wanted.
The term "Quiet Quitting" gets used frequently in the media today. I think that's exactly what happened.

The term "Quiet Quitting" gets used frequently in the media today. I think that's exactly what happened.
I said it when Bohn was likely hamstrung to keep D II Danny that disastrous fifth year, if you aren't allowed to run your shop the way the market requires, you resign. If RG really was hamstrung by the PTB, he should have preserved his good name and moved on. He had the cache to land another job, in reality, he probably still does. The only people who probably really are not wanting him around under any circumstances are us zealots here on AB.

I said it when Bohn was likely hamstrung to keep D II Danny that disastrous fifth year, if you aren't allowed to run your shop the way the market requires, you resign. If RG really was hamstrung by the PTB, he should have preserved his good name and moved on. He had the cache to land another job, in reality, he probably still does. The only people who probably really are not wanting him around under any circumstances are us zealots here on AB.
I agree here. I think that in a lot of corners of college sports management your time at CU is not fatal. It's understood that you were just in a ****ty situation and a lot of things were beyond your control. Might even get a few bonus points for toughing it out.

Last edited:

Nah, are you kidding me? RG is having the time of his life right now living in Boulder and near his grandkid(s?).

If I recall correctly, PERA retirement benefits are based upon your three highest years of compensation; given that he received a raise on this last extension, he's completely incented to stick around for another three years, at which time he'll be 64. If he makes it one more year,than that, he'll be 65 and eligible for a non-reduced retirement.

If you're RG, and you can play out the string under your ideal conditions and then fully retire in 4 years, isn't that easier and better than resigning and finding a different job?

The more I think about this, the more I think @skibum is completely right on this- he asked PD to continue/enhance some of the stuff done under Mel Tucker and PD said "that's not the way we're going to do things here" (remember- Phil was not chancellor during the Barnett "scandal" but he saw it up close and my guess is he wants no part of that) and so RG said, "Ok. I'll give this asshole what he wants. I'll continue to collect my checks until I can retire; it's not worth fighting anymore."

This!!!

Additionally he almost had Sark landed…and then everything went to hell.

I’ll admit I am still conflicted about him.
He did hire Mel Tucker. I'm willing to give him ONE more opportunity to find a football coach.

I do want to see this next search include G5 HCs. Charles Huff here could be interesting for one.

The more this is discussed, the more I see of the **** show Venn Diagram, PD is at the center.

It goes back to the Barnett 'scandal', and I think then the AD was made to report to the Boulder Chancellor vs. the President

A reputable poster (LeftHand for those who visit the site) on 247 when talking about Saliman/Phil D: "Saliman is probably as pro-athletics as we’ve had at the President level in a long long time. Phil has been waiting for a window to retire and it’s opening (won’t go into details). Saliman will not hire a VC that doesn’t value athletics, I can assure you of that."

TIFWIW, but some of this seems to be consistent with what a few people here have said about Phil D retiring soon and Saliman being "more calculated" than initially given credit for, etc.

Honestly, it's our only hope to cling to. Phil D to retire at the end of the school year and Saliman to hire a very pro athletics replacement.

A reputable poster (LeftHand for those who visit the site) on 247 when talking about Saliman/Phil D: "Saliman is probably as pro-athletics as we’ve had at the President level in a long long time. Phil has been waiting for a window to retire and it’s opening (won’t go into details). Saliman will not hire a VC that doesn’t value athletics, I can assure you of that."

TIFWIW, but some of this seems to be consistent with what a few people here have said about Phil D retiring soon and Saliman being "more calculated" than initially given credit for, etc.

Honestly, it's our only hope to cling to. Phil D to retire at the end of the school year and Saliman to hire a very pro athletics replacement.
I'm all for silver linings, but this timing is pretty rough. Heading towards a 0 win season, no new coach, new new AD, no new chancellor, and a "pause" until summer or worse as we wait for PD to get replaced and then the rest of the dominoes to fall.

Can’t give details that betray the person who told me, but they are very very close to Phil and his departure is all but confirmed for this year.

If he doesn’t after this year, it would be contrary to his personal life and indicate he was internally torn and decided to stay without telling those closest to him

Disappointed Chris Farley GIF

Nah, are you kidding me? RG is having the time of his life right now living in Boulder and near his grandkid(s?).

If I recall correctly, PERA retirement benefits are based upon your three highest years of compensation; given that he received a raise on this last extension, he's completely incented to stick around for another three years, at which time he'll be 64. If he makes it one more year,than that, he'll be 65 and eligible for a non-reduced retirement.

If you're RG, and you can play out the string under your ideal conditions and then fully retire in 4 years, isn't that easier and better than resigning and finding a different job?

The more I think about this, the more I think @skibum is completely right on this- he asked PD to continue/enhance some of the stuff done under Mel Tucker and PD said "that's not the way we're going to do things here" (remember- Phil was not chancellor during the Barnett "scandal" but he saw it up close and my guess is he wants no part of that) and so RG said, "Ok. I'll give this asshole what he wants. I'll continue to collect my checks until I can retire; it's not worth fighting anymore."
You may be entirely correct. If that is what is going on, I see little honor in that. It is hard to respect the "I am cashing in and mailing it in and there isn't anything you can do about it" mentality. I would hope there is another explanation, but I do not know what it is. As Yak says above, the best hope is Saliman is the real deal on the issue of athletics, and he sweeps with a new broom. I don't want ANYBODY who had a hand in HCKD touching the next hire process or the AD.

You may be entirely correct. If that is what is going on, I see little honor in that. It is hard to respect the "I am cashing in and mailing it in and there isn't anything you can do about it" mentality. I would hope there is another explanation, but I do not know what it is. As Yak says above, the best hope is Saliman is the real deal on the issue of athletics, and he sweeps with a new broom. I don't want ANYBODY who had a hand in HCKD touching the next hire process or the AD.
Even if RG was somehow blameless in all of this, you still don't want the guy who is widely believed to have made a bunch of false promises to Mel Tucker to be the guy trying to find a new coach.

I'm all for silver linings, but this timing is pretty rough. Heading towards a 0 win season, no new coach, new new AD, no new chancellor, and a "pause" until summer or worse as we wait for PD to get replaced and then the rest of the dominoes to fall.
Agreed. If everything is done in a conventional order, than it would reason that we are in for another year of RG and KD. However, if Phil D retiring is really as much of an open secret as it's starting to sound like, I can't imagine Saliman hasn't already begun the process of finding PD's successor. If Saliman is really as pro athletics as it sounds, I don't see why he can't just be the one who is meeting with RG and making the necessary decisions.

Agreed. If everything is done in a conventional order, than it would reason that we are in for another year of RG and KD. However, if Phil D retiring is really as much of an open secret as it's starting to sound like, I can't imagine Saliman hasn't already begun the process of finding PD's successor. If Saliman is really as pro athletics as it sounds, I don't see why he can't just be the one who is meeting with RG and making the necessary decisions.
Maybe I've missed a thread somewhere but is Saliman really that pro-athletics? Like enough to make some waves an upset some folks level pro-athletics? What do we know for sure?

Maybe I've missed a thread somewhere but is Saliman really that pro-athletics? Like enough to make some waves an upset some folks level pro-athletics? What do we know for sure?
@dio has made a comment or two recently, that he can repeat or expound on if he'd like, and then this LeftHand guy from 247 (again, just a reputable poster over there with ties to the University/AD/football program) has said a few things. On top of that, Saliman has been active on social media in the past with his support of athletics and, specifically football, taking pictures with players, etc.

Hope. It's all we have.

We just have to hope that the guy we know nothing about will help another guy retire and replace him with another person that will help fire the other guy in charge of the guy that sucks at coaching so we can ultimately hire a new guy that can make a good hire of a guy that can coach. That guy who can coach then needs to hire a bunch of guys who can also coach. These guys ultimately need to find a lot of guys that can play.

Once that’s taken care of, we might make the Frozen Waffle Fry Potato Bowl. Seems simple enough

Dear Phil D,

Window's open, mother****er.

i'm out game of thrones GIF by Amanda

Even if RG was somehow blameless in all of this, you still don't want the guy who is widely believed to have made a bunch of false promises to Mel Tucker to be the guy trying to find a new coach

I'd agree if that was more than an assumption. I don't think Midnight did his due diligence at all, I'm pretty sure he did accept the job without even seeing the facilities. it could have been a lot of "I'm going to need some things to make this happen" and RG saying, "Don't worry, we'll make it happen!"

Yeah that's an assumption too.

Have to have a Chancellor that is willing to force admissions changes that allow athletes out of high school and transfers that meet minimum NCAA standards in, instead of these artificial standards that we have that seemingly no other school does that keep them out. Fix that, be more flexible with recruiting, and tell compliance to do the bare minimum and not self report any violations, then sue the piss out of the NCAA if they try to do anything. Then you can get the coach you need to win. Oh and cozy up to the big money again and let them know we value their input.

Have to have a Chancellor that is willing to force admissions changes that allow athletes out of high school and transfers that meet minimum NCAA standards in, instead of these artificial standards that we have that seemingly no other school does that keep them out. Fix that, be more flexible with recruiting, and tell compliance to do the bare minimum and not self report any violations, then sue the piss out of the NCAA if they try to do anything. Then you can get the coach you need to win. Oh and cozy up to the big money again and let them know we value their input.
Fix the out of state rates for in state recruits too.

I’ve heard the same thing about Saliman being pro athletics. There seems to be some fire to that smoke. I just hope it means something.

I’ve heard the same thing about Saliman being pro athletics. There seems to be some fire to that smoke. I just hope it means something.
He'll need to be more than just pro athletics. He'll need to be pretty savvy about the cut-throat nature and high payout of modern college athletics. He'll need to fully understand just how bad PDS, RG, & LC have fallen short of anything remotely acceptable and how much that has tarnished the image of the university.

He'll need to be more than just pro athletics. He'll need to be pretty savvy about the cut-throat nature and high payout of modern college athletics. He'll need to fully understand just how bad PDS, RG, & LC have fallen short of anything remotely acceptable and how much that has tarnished the image of the university.
Honestly it's not that high of a bar. I bet relaxing admissions standards for athletes and introducing a general ed degree program would go a looooooooooooong ways toward seeing more talent on Saturdays.

Back